4.0 out of 5 stars Good
Just some extra info.

Published on April 23 2012 by Sam

3.0 out of 5 stars book 1
although the story is nice and simple to follow, i feel that the flow of the story should have been more concise.
Published 20 months ago by mariachi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, April 23 2012
This review is from: Avatar The Last Airbender - The Complete Book 1 Collection (DVD)
Just some extra info.

It was delivered on time, it was brand new and in a cardboard box and basically there is a thick cover for the DVDs (as shown above). I pulled the DVD case (nicely drawn Avatar theme on it)out of the cover. The case was presented like a brochure (folded) and it had 6 DVDs inside, each one with its own spot, the 6 DVDs neatly overlapping each other. Each one has different characters/images on them.
I played the DVD's on my HD DVD player and it was slightly blurry (very hard to notice this). But I played it on regular DVD players (sony, htech) and it was perfect.
The sound (sufficiently loud) and picture quality (clear) was great. I liked the menu that appeared at the beginning. Each DVD has short, extra behind-the-scenes info. and has 4 episodes in it, with the opening theme and ending song for each episode.

The storyline is nice, it's a cute, funny series with just the right amount of action. My younger siblings love watching it together. I feel like learning martial arts when I watch it with them.
Btw, I also bought the 3rd DVD volume from amazon and it is equally satisfying. Hope this review was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Master of four elements, June 5 2009
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
Most western animation for children is, to put it simply, really wretched. At best, it's tolerable.

But a shining exception would be the tale of the Avatar of all four elements, and to restore the balance in the world. "Avatar The Last Airbender - Book 1" serves as a solid first season to this series, with its colourful world, vivid action and complex characters. It may be aimed at kids, but it's a solid enough series to be enjoyed by any age.

South Pole Water Tribe siblings Katara and Sokka stumble across a glowing iceberg, with a young Airbender boy named Aang (and his flying bison) sealed inside. All Airbenders were killed long ago by the Fire Nation. You guessed it (and so does Katara): Aang is the Avatar who mysteriously vanished a century ago, and is the only hope against the Fire Nation. And, uh, he's a total goofball.

Unfortunately, a Fire Nation prince named Zuko has been wandering the world in search of Aang, and agrees to let the Water Tribe alone if Aang surrenders. Of course, Katara and Sokka set out to rescue their friend, and since Katara isn't experienced enough in waterbending to teach Aang how to do it, they set out for the North Pole to find a waterbending master.

Along the way, the three friends encounter hurricanes, woman warriors, a loopy old king who seems very familiar, Aang's ruined temple, a Spirit World Beast, a waterbending scroll, pirates, teenage rebels, two tribes locked in an eternal feud, a mysterious man in a blue mask, fortunetellers, a rogue Firebender, and an Air Temple turned into a steampunk palace.

But through the journey, Aang is confronted by the vast changes from the last century, and they are constantly attacked by the desperate Zuko, and his arrogant rival General Zhao. And when they arrive at the icy citadel at the North Pole, Aang finds that saving his friends may be far more difficult than he expected...

The highest compliment I can pay "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is that it's like a thoroughly solid action/fantasy anime, with lots of elemental fights. Though it starts off on a typical quest, it's graced with good writing, excellent animation, and a general look drawn from Asian and Inuit cultures.

Though most of "Book 1: Water" is made up of one-episode stories, the writers nevertheless weave subplots through it. The world itself is a simple but well-realized one, with different civilizations clashing against the steampunky armored tanks and ships of the Fire Nation. Assassinations, captures, escapes and spiritual journeys are all interwoven into this story.

That isn't to say that it's all grim and serious -- it's quite the opposite. Lots of amusing dialogue ("I'm too young to die!" "I'm not, but I still don't wanna!"), slapstick, and flashy fights involving eruptions of fire, swirling water and blasts of air. It all culminates in a brilliantly epic clash, which wraps up the season nicely while leaving the way open for Aang's next lessons.

And they do a good job with the characters -- Aang is a kind and selfless kid, but still a kid. He has plenty of inner guilt and turmoil over his role as the Avatar and his past mistakes, but is still down-to-earth enough to tell an amazed fortune-teller, "Yeah, yeah, I knew that already. But did it say anything about a girl?" Katara and Sokka make good companions -- a sensible, short-fused girl with waterbending powers, and her rather reckless, courageous brother.

And though technically the antagonist, scarred teenager Zuko also is worthy of note -- as the series winds on, we see how desperate he is to regain his lost honor, and the horrible event that led to his exile. He's the exact opposite of the nasty, proud Zhao -- and his lovably pervy uncle Iroh makes for good comic relief ("I'm certain you bathe regularly"), but there are hints that he's much more than that.

"Avatar The Last Airbender: The Complete Book 1" has a few initial wobbles, but quickly blossoms into a brilliant little show. Definitely worth seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 STARS, April 22 2014
Sofie (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Avatar, like many cartoons (*cough* Totally Spies *cough*) tries to make itself look like an anime. Usually when cartoons do this, they end up looking like wannabes. But Avatar does an amazing job of getting inspiration from anime and the Japanese and Chinese cultures. If Avatar actually *were* an anime, it would be my second favourite after InuYasha.

I was watching TV at my Baba's (grandmother) place when Avatar was introduced to the public for the very first time (at least in Canada.) I believe I was 12 at the time. They introduced Avatar with a special two-episode preview. I couldn't tear my eyes from the screen. Not since InuYasha had an animated TV show grabbed my attention, killed me with curiosity and made me care about the characters so much in just episodes. Avatar is an amazing animated series. By far one of the best to ever be created by the Western World. The plot, the story, the adventures, the characters, the travelling, the humour, the heart-break...it's perfect. I absolutely love this show and recommend it to anyone who loves anime.

Favourite Characters: Aang and Zuko

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, April 16 2014
Everything is perfect. The Story, the characters, the price. One of the best series i have ever seen in my life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great family entertainment., April 14 2014
I'm a grown adult, and yet Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of my favorite series ever.

The storyline is quite simplistic, but it serves its purpose nicely, allowing for a lot of fun to happen.

The music is good, the voice acting is nice and the overall feeling is that of feel-good entertainment. The animation is a bit on the low side at times, which isn't surprising considering this was only the first season and the producers had a rather small budget.

The storyline isn't perfect, as it sometimes tend to fire up in all directions at the same time. Some episodes are excellent, some are okay, and the whole thing would've been better if there was a stronger link between them. The storyline is pretty episodic in the first season, to say the least: Aang and Team Avatar go into a village and solve a problem, then moves on to another village and help other people, and so on.

What really makes this series shine is its funny dialogue. Often wacky, the humor in Avatar relies on the great lines characters toss at each other. The relationship between Katara and Sokka is especially funny, and Sokka himself is a funny guy altogether. Add in Aang, Appa and Momo tossing in their funny lines or moves, and you got yourself a nice comedy show.

Things get more structured from half season and beyond, so the series do improve as it progresses.

All things considered, great series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing series, Oct. 29 2013
Amazing series, I had watched this 5 times over. It has a great sense of humor, and always has me on my toes. Even after rewatching the series I laugh just as much as I did the very first time I watched it. I am in my 20's and it still appeals to me, so it is not just for children (although it is a great collection to add for your child)

The story is based around The Avatar who was encased in ice for a hundred years. Watch Katara, Sokka, and Aang's journey protecting the world from the fire nation.

I highly recommend this to anyone, who has not seen the show yet, or ever has. Adding this to your collection is a great choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars great great series, Oct. 10 2013
its amazing i love this freaking show i cant get enough of it cant wait to buy all of legend of korra

5.0 out of 5 stars This season will get you hooked!, April 16 2013
I watched this series when it was airing live on TV a few years ago and I loved it so much. I was very sad when it ended so to have the show on DVD is awesome. Now I can get my avatar fix anytime.

This is the stunning debut to one of the most loved animated series (in my opinion) those of us who love it love it fiercely. A TV show is always better on DVD then when you have to wait for a new episode each week. I'm happy to binge on Aang and the gang and get lost in their amazing world that's so rich and beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avatar: The Last Airbender Book 1, April 10 2013
This is a great for children and young adults as well!
It's an addicting series that's hard to find in stores. It has a good balance of funny, dramatic, and action-packed scenes that will keep you interested in watching more episodes.
I selected standard shipping and ordered it on a Saturday so I wasn't expecting it until the following Thursday. To my surprise I received it on the Monday . The delivery service surpassed my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, Feb. 6 2013
Michael (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
What more can I say that other reviewers haven't already. Personally, I absolutely love this entire series. The variety of tones for each episode is exciting. Some episodes are deep with meaning, others are creepy, while still others are big, goofy,fun & even funny. The story arc from start to finish is captivating with a satisfying finish that doesn't leave you with your eyes rolled up in to your head.

Each of the main characters have immensely satisfying personal journeys (good and bad). Oh, & did I mention the fight/bending sequences are mesmerizing & occasionally spectacular to watch? This show was clearly made by people who cared very deeply for this entire world. There is so much thought & imagination that goes in to every detail. The story's unique, but is kept refreshingly simple & resists the urge to throw too much lore at the viewer. Above all the hype, I found the most appealing part of this show to be the characters and their relationships with each other. One could look at this show as one great big colourful, well written book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›