5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun that can be enjoyed by the entire family
I don't think it's quite worth of the 5 stars I gave it, but it's closer to a 5 than it is a 4.

Published on Nov. 3 2006 by KDakota630

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more...
Published on Nov. 23 2006 by M. Flebotte

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun that can be enjoyed by the entire family, Nov. 3 2006
KDakota630 "KDakota630" (London, ON) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Anybody can enjoy this one, but particularly if you have young children with you. First rate animation, and a first rate story as well, with plenty of laughs. The only disappointing character of the bunch was the skunk played by Wanda Sykes. Don't get me wrong, she's not bad in it, but she's MUCH funnier than what they let her do in the film.

Good balance of humour and story, and of course has the happy ending that everyone expects.

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more..., Nov. 23 2006
M. Flebotte (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
I was just as eager as my kids to see this movie, only to be just as disaffected as they were. It had great voices, great potential...it just somehow missed. A nice fuzzy, warm message, but with no zip to push it past a dozen other kid-oriented flicks. The only great part was William Shatner's self-parody as the play-dead opossum, and my kids aren't old enough to see the humour in that! An average movie, with thwarted possibilities.

3.0 out of 5 stars took a while to warm up to it, March 19 2014
not our favourite Dreamworks title but good all the same
great characters and the voices
ready to hand it down to a younger generation

4.0 out of 5 stars Where's First Flight??, Dec 20 2006
Charles A. Duchesne "Pushed" (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
What about that delightful short we saw in theatres? Normally they tag it along on the DVD. Disappointed...

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously Hilarious!!!! A must-see!, March 20 2010
Over The Hedge is a very funny movie that's great for kids and parents alike. The humour is no solely childish, yet appropriate for all ages. I definitely recommend buying it, or at least watching it. You won't regret it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, Oct. 7 2008
Oh! We just laugh alot at this one. I love the lesson of life my girls learn while watching it. :)

2.0 out of 5 stars average animated movie,below average animated comedy, Sept. 29 2007
this film was hyped so much and heaped with praise.even a good
friend of mine told me it was hilarious.imagine my surprise in finding
out it is not hilarious at all,barely even comical.there are a couple
of "light chuckle" moments,but that's it.i know it is an animated movie
and maybe i'm being too sensitive here(or,maybe i'm just out to
lunch),but i actually think the movie is mean spirited in some parts.
as an animated movie goes it is about average,certainly nothing more.as
an animated comedy,it is lower than average.so,i'll give "Over the
Hedge" 2/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Over the Hedge is a really cute movie, July 2 2007
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I wasn`t aware that `Over the Hedge' is based on a comic strip. I've never seen it, but I can only imagine that it would be just as good as the film, if not better. And while it's not an astonishment, I can say that Hedge is genuinely enjoyable, and great fun for everyone.

The story is well written, but feels very brisk. It starts, it continues for a bit, and then it ends. It is not as short as some films, but you can't help but wonder what more could have been done if they had a little more running time. It is a much stronger film than other Dreamworks titles like Madagascar and Shark Tale, and really seems like it can stand next to the likes of Shrek 1 and 2.

The voice acting is all top-notch, from Willis' take no-nonsense raccoon, to the sadly missed Shandling as a neurotic turtle. Steve Carrell also stands out as the absolutely insane Hammy the squirrel, as does William Shatner as Ozzie the possum. As I had read before seeing the film, Shatner does an absolutely fabulous job playing possum. I couldn't stop laughing any time his character did something, it's just that great. The rest of the voice cast, from Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara as parents of hedgehogs, to Wanda Sykes as a skunk, to Thomas Hayden Church as an exterminator, to Nick Nolte as Vincent the bear, all are great and well suited for their roles. They all have quite a bit of screen time, and none feel over-used at all (unlike Madagascar's blatant overuse of Ben Stiller and no one else). Of course, the random inclusion of Avril Lavinge as Shatner's daughter Heather was a little bizarre, you can see that she is at least making an attempt at voice acting here.

And as usual, the animation is excellent. While not being a total improvement from the likes of other Dreamworks films, the advancements are still very noticeable. The grass, the fur, the emotions and gestures, all of them are perfectly captured, and look gorgeous on film. All the colours are great too.

It's a funny movie, and a fabulous cast. It's one of the better animated films in the last several months.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather good, Feb. 11 2007
I actually really liked this. Amazing animation (especially in the background), great cast, laugh out loud funny on multiple ocasions. I wasn't expecting much and was very happily supprised. A good mix of adult humor, which I always apreciate in a kids movie. It's no Shrek but best animated I have seen since Shrek 2. It looses .5 for the the lamest Shrek 3 add ever. 4.5/5.

Over the Hedge  (Bilingual) [Import]
Over the Hedge (Bilingual) [Import] by Tim Johnson (DVD - 2006)
CDN$ 16.30