4.0 out of 5 stars good product, not so great support help
Published on Nov. 22 2009 by Lisa L. Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither bad or incredible
First a little note. Service pack 1 [free update if not in the package already] corrects many issues including corruption.

Second a note to a user: There is something called backing up critical data. Use it. You can't totally blame Microsoft if you don't back up.

Published on Dec 27 2008 by Gis A. Bun

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither bad or incredible, Dec 27 2008
Gis A. Bun (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 English (Software)

As for the product it has many new features - some which you'll probably never need. The Home & Student is a THREE PC license. This means you can install the same copy on up to 3 systems. The suite takes up plenty of disk sapce as well. So it will take time to install.

My only wish was to include Outlook 2007 in the package which is a far superior mail client than Windows (Live) Mail or Outlook Express.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but steep learning curve over 2003, May 2 2009
ASco (Ottawa, ON CAN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 English (Software)
It's fine and it has a lot of benefits over 2003 but you have to be prepared for a somewhat steep learning curve if you have used 2003 extensively. it's even worse if you are using both versions (e.g at office / at home) Overall I like it but you have to commit to it 100% and also be aware that it saves your files in a different format than 2003 (you can save in the .doc format if you wish)

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick with the earlier addition., March 8 2010
C. Way - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 English (Software)
I was required to upgrade to this version due to courses I was taking.

First off, the interface is horrible. Menus have been replaced with "Ribbons" that take up significantly more screen space. If you use a widescreen monitor you will find very little space left to work on your document / spreadsheet. The "ribbons" do not reflect the menus they replace and the graphics lack word descriptors, obviously using language was unacceptable for people using a word processor. You are left searching through a series of cartoons trying to guess what they mean, or systematically going over each to get a description.

Secondly, Excel has been modified so that some equations that worked in previous editions no longer operate. If you found yourself breezing through data and formula entry before, get ready for frustration. You'll need a book to help you through the changes, unless you want to chance the help files which brings me to my next point.

Thirdly, this edition, much like Windows 7, does not have adequate support built in. Yes it is more massive than the previous version, but you need internet access to get the full help files. Without a constant connection you have to make do with the basics only.

In general a very frustrating experience. If you are have to use this version make sure to take a course or buy a desk reference.

Of course, if you have to go to the trouble of relearning your office software; why not shop around for something else?

4.0 out of 5 stars good product, not so great support help, Nov. 22 2009
Lisa L. Scott - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 English (Software)
We bought this newer version of office to put on three separate hosehold laptops. The first one installed great, no problems. When it came to installing in on the second laptop, we kept getting an error message that would appear each and everytime we tried to open the installed programs. We could find no help or information for this online on microsofts website. It took forever to find a toll free number for customer service (none indicated on the product, had to do online search), and I read some reviews that said they may charge us for help?? We called a toll free number and were transferred around, hung up on, put on hold two or three times for more than 20 mins each time, and by the time we were finally able to reach someone that was helpful (and did not charge us for the help) it was 2 hours later. I guess the problem was that there was some trial software for microsoft on the laptop which we had no idea about, and the error message wasn't stating that (how helpful it would be if it did)!! Great product, but awful support when you come across a problem, and they may charge you for help!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Version of Office Ever, July 19 2007
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 English (Software)
Microsoft finally seems to have gotten the best word processing package out there right!
There were so many improvements that there's just no way to list them all. However, I will say that adding headers and footers has never been easier, and the new 'intuitive' spell-checker certainly helps with catching words that are spelled similarly now by taking a look at the whole paragraph instead of just the word. Therefore, those silly mistakes where you might have spelled there instead of their are easier to catch. The menu systems have been re-vamped entirely and designed with better ease of use in mind, which is great for new users. But it might not be as easily accepted for power users of previous generations of Office, mostly due to the fact that everything has basically been scrambled, renamed, and completely re-ordered. This can be quite frustrating for people who are used to having things the way they've always been and like it that way. But the good news is that most of the common keyboard shortcuts appeared to still be funcional and the same.
Also, in regards to the new menu that was renamed to 'the ribbon', I'd like to point out that I didn't find things too hard to find within the first use, and right-clicking on everything and clicking on things I'd never seen before finally brought me into the menus and options I've always been familiar with, even though they were designed and laid out differently.
I highly recommend this software package to anyone who needs more from a word processing package than just the simple paragraph here and there and basic household budgeting.
Lastly, I'd like to point out that there is a pdf plugin for this package since I feel that is a very important step forward and worth mentioning. It's from Microsoft, and it can be downloaded from their site should you choose to add it, eliminating the need for purchasing a separate software package to write decent pdf files. But I'd also like to add that I don't know why it simply wasn't included in the base install of the program like all the other Word Processing packages out there, including the free ones. I was rather disappointed about that unexplainable oversight, since it almost seems like a step backwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007, Feb. 19 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 English (Software)
When I first tried this product I didn't think that I would like it at all. I was surprised to find that I was more than pleased with this Office suite. I didn't know about Onenote before this but am utilizing the program for many purposes.

I would reccommend this program for anyone looking for an exceptional suite for home use.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2007 Office program, Oct. 15 2009
S. Postnikoff - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 English (Software)
This program is really an essential program. It is improved over previous editions with "ribbons" of information. Basically all the functions that were hidden deep in drop down menus are now available in the forefront. Great!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, But don't upgrade if you have the previous version, Nov. 15 2008
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 English (Software)
The new interface is supposed to be more intuive. It's not. And if you are familiar with any previous version then getting used to this new one will be a pain in the butt. Also, the new format using 'ribbons' wastes more vertical space - which is really kind of dumb given that most documents (esp Word docs) are taller than they are wide. And this is especially bad if you have also changed to a widescreen monitor.

4.0 out of 5 stars microsoft program, Oct. 30 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 English (Software)
I purchased this product because I do quite a bit of word processing. This program is easy to use and understand. I have had no problem with using the progam.
This program was reccomended by my daughter-in-law, who uses this program at work as a secretary for a construction company. She found it easy to learn and so thought it would be simple for me to use, and it was!

5.0 out of 5 stars Office 2007, Sept. 3 2009
C. Clark (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 English (Software)
After using Office 2000, it took me a while to get used to it, but I now find the newer functions easy to navigate.

I really like it. This is the second one I have purchased. I have Office Pro for business, and now use the home and student for home. The three user key is great since we are working on 3 computers. Amazon was my best price for this new boxed program.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007  English
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 English by Microsoft Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: CDN$ 146.10