5.0 out of 5 stars The Epic Masterpiece of Modern Times (and Televsion)
Published on Nov. 10 2009 by Flippy

3.0 out of 5 stars Broken Box Set
Not rating the show, I'm rating the physical product itself. Was delivered to me before the estimated delivery date, but the top part of the box set is torn off.
Published 3 months ago by paul

5.0 out of 5 stars The Epic Masterpiece of Modern Times (and Televsion), Nov. 10 2009
This review is from: Six Feet Under: The Complete Series (DVD)
Six Feet Under is, I feel, the War and Peace of our time. It is an epic masterpiece, exploring our vulnerable relationships to sex and death. The characters are flawed, human, struggling, striving with their innate humanity and confusion in a mundane world of repression and desire. Being 'six feet under' does not not necessarily refer to working in a Funeral Home, which the Fisher family certainly does but being 'under' the surface, the complexity of longing and being alone in one's self.

The story revolves around the funeral home of Fisher and Sons in Southern California. David Fisher (still in the closet around his close family) runs the funeral home after a tragic family accident. Ruth, his mother is our traditional matriarch. She is soft-spoken, kind-hearted but not quite at ease in the changing world around her. Nate is the prodigal son and becomes the reluctant family partner, helping David run the family business. Clare is finishing high school, dealing with all the angst and apprehension of adolescence and coming adulthood.

Surrounding these main characters are Brenda, Nate's love interest and Keith, David's lover. Both have been scarred by their childhoods but manage to offer support and sometimes clarity to their mates.

Last but not least is Frederico, the restorative artist employed by the Fishers whose life is linked to the family by the goodness of Nathanial Fisher, the former patriarch.

As the show evolves from the first episode, the viewer is aware that this is more than just a television program. It is a prolonged meditation of death. Each episode provides us with a momento mori (a souvenir of death) in which the show opens with a death that will either be consequential, opening up stories or provide background to the episode. There are numerous ways to die but how do these deaths affect the men and women who must face it everyday and run a business by it?

Alan Ball, writer of American Beauty, notes in the documentary about the making of Six Feet Under that he wanted to create a show that was honest about the lives of funeral directors. There are like heroes, he comments. In a society in which death is behind closed doors, where grief is done in private, the show was meant to open up a conversation about our mortality. We can go at any time - how do we live our lives?

Six Feet Under is a masterpiece of television production. It is filmed with cinematic beauty, the stories evolve with complexity and humanity and with the use of magical realism, intertwining fantasy and reality. The characters face death and sex in their own lives. There is the threat of death in terms of a corporate take-over and death in relationships. It is also a mirror of American society, taking on subjects not for the faint of heart.

But the show wouldn't be anything without its humor. There is always a balance between the macabre and the funny aspects of the mundane. The humor can be dark but what can you expect from a series that focuses on the lives of undertakers?

A must see for anyone that is tired of the same old television. This show breaks through and leaves an incredible impression on one's psyche and soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing I've ever seen on Television, Jan. 12 2010
This review is from: Six Feet Under: The Complete Series (DVD)
My boyfriend introduced me to this series. He himself had already bought the boxed set and watched the series from start to finish. Upon sliding in the first dvd it took me about five minutes to be 'hooked'. I knew right away that this was something special. I felt really lucky to be able to view the whole series as I had the time instead of having to wait a week between episodes. The best recommendation I can give you is that I bought the set for my Dad for Christmas, because I knew he would like it so much.
So, for you who don't know anything about this series here are some things you should know:

1. It does explore the sacred cows of race, religion, gay relationships, recreational drug use, in a relatively explicit manner. All of this is done within the context of a very psychologically sophisticated story-line.

2. Character development is phenomenal: characters remain true to themselves all the way through, but, just like 'regular' people, are not predictable, they are very nuanced and multi-faceted and watching one of the character's ego slowly collapse and reform was one of the most interesting things I have ever seen on tv.

3. The storyline is gripping-the context of a family-owned funeral home struggling to remain viable in the midst of heavy competition provides a great backdrop for a variety of scenarios around centered around the usually off-the-wall deaths of the corpses. Great guest performers appear throughout the series as foils for the regulars.

4.There is bound to be a character you identify with. You CARE about this family. This series is very emotionally engaging.The ongoing romance between the Nate and Brenda character is unsurpassed by anything I have ever seen before or since (or even read about in a novel for that matter. The characters are REAL!

5. This series is intellectually satisfying, as mentnioned before exploring themes common to everyone.

6. The series had a very satisfactory ending. It is recommended that you avoid the liner notes until you have watched the whole series so you don't find out things you wish you didn't know '-)

7. The series is WELL WORTH the money you will spend on it. Nothing I've seen in the theatre surpasses this. The writing, production values, acting, storyline, all great. My one beef is with one of the storylines that I felt was a bit contrived but this is small criticism in the overall.

Could go on and on, but you get my drift. If you need a distraction, want to lose yourself in great story, you will not be disappointed in this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drama at it's best!, June 11 2007
D. Landry (Ottawa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Feet Under: The Complete Series (DVD)
This series takes a darkly comic look at members of a dysfunctional L.A. family that run a funeral business.

When death is your business, what is your life? For the Fisher family, the world outside of their family-owned funeral home continues and is as challenging as the one inside.

It basically touches almost every taboo subjects out there and puts it into a very intelligent storyline for entertainment at it's best!

Recommended for any open-minded viewers, but not so much for viewers with restriction in regards to sexual content, religion, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplement excellent et aussi en francais!, Oct. 6 2009
Lydz "Lydz" (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Feet Under: The Complete Series (DVD)
Jai acheter cette serie sans même savoir de quoi serait le sujet.. on m'en avait simplement parler. Simplement excellent.... c'est bon et vous avez aussi l'option français. Perso, je l'ai écouter en anglais sous-titré anglais... mais a votre choix. Excellent achat, et boitier vraiment cool.

Vous serez juste pas décu. La 1ere série nous permettre de nous adapter et avec la 2ieme série, vous tomber sous le charme complètement des personnages. Ils vivront avec vous pendant quelques semaines, et vous aurez vraiment de la peine quand ca va terminer. Aussi, dois-je dire que la fin de cette série est remarquable... jai en plus tout plein d'amis qui me l'emprunte et les commentaires sont tous plus que positif! A ACHETER.. ARGENT NON PERDU: Garantit!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This show changed my life., July 4 2012
My life has most certainly not been the same since watching this wonderfully enlightening show. American Beauty fastly became my favorite movie and I knew I wanted to explore more of Alan Ball's work. I found his magic laying in Six Feet Under. This show made me cry, laugh, think, feel disturbed, feel touched, enlightened, etc etc. It is a masterpiece to say in the least. These characters will have you enticed from their first scenes to the very last. I always tells my friends, only watch this show if you are ready to have your whole life experience and perspective shifted. It is most certainly not for the faint of heart. It is a show that explores many different themes and symbols but revolves much around the aspect of death, dying and how it affects things, but that's what makes it overall such a life changing experience. I never truly thought about life and death until I watched this show and I am just glad I saw it when I was 18 because it has made me try my hardest to live everyday to the fullest and appreciate every. little. thing. I truly believe everyone in the world should watch this show and allow it to absorb into every fibre of the conscious and sub conscious mind as well as the blood that pumps through the beautiful human body.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series, July 2 2011
Laura C. Fraser (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Feet Under: The Complete Series (DVD)
A wonderful series, definitely in my top ten. I'm not normally interested in what appears to be, on the outside, a quirky family drama, but Six Feet Under had me addicted within three episdoes. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but what kept me watching was the sense of disaster that follows the family around through the seasons, even through there are moments of great joy, as in any life.

My one big disappointment was that the last two episodes were impossible to watch because of faulty discs -- something that seems to occur with every HBO series I've bought. The last episode skipped so badly I literally had to turn it off. Honestly, there should be a way to obtain a replacement disc when this happens (I also had this problem with the season three finale in The Wire.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome series, great price!, Jan. 1 2013
Great series and for such a low price (76.99) it really was a huge bargain! All of the characters are interesting and the show does not get boring (for me at least). The box set itself is very nice. It opens up like a book, between "pages" are the discs for each season. There are pictures as well on the "pages" highlighting what had occurred in that particular season.

There is also a Mortuary booklet that comes with the box set. This has obituaries written for the main characters of the series. I would definitely recommend this box set to fans and those that are new to watching the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Packaging and Presentation, Feb. 12 2013
A unique fan-out book where each (disc holding) page is filled with colourful pictures and episode titles. Provides glimpses of this unusual family and favourite characters, right out of the episodes. Also includes an unexpected ' In Memoriam ' booklet, outlining each character's Obituary , with many D.O.D. Into the future. How fitting ! This collection far surpasses expectations and would be an amazing gift for any fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why 6 feet under boxed complete series "rocks", Nov. 7 2013
Having all five seasons in one box is perfect for storage. I only got introduced to the series once it was off the air and was hooked by the second episode. Rented a few of the dvd's from the local library but they did not have all seasons, so it was to my delight that I could purchase all seasons from Amazon and how quickly it could arrive on my doorstep. Excellent show for those who have a quirky dark sense of humor .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show, great acting and writing, Sept. 30 2013
I enjoy Six Feet Under so much because of the Great characters in the great writing on the show. I am about halfway through the whole series. I enjoy an episode whenever I can - I just can't get enough of it.

I bought it because I liked Dexter and I wanted to see Michael C Hall in something else. I am enjoying him very much in the show too. It shows what versatile actor he is.

Six Feet Under: The Complete Series
Six Feet Under: The Complete Series by Peter Krause (DVD - 2006)
CDN$ 479.99