summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools Family

on December 12, 2002
Nice but a disappointment as the grumpy charm of the original has been editted out and replaced with a sanitized version conforming to preceived American tastes.
on February 6, 2015
I saw this cartoon for the first time this past Christmas. At the time, I assumed the DVD was just as the cartoon I had seen....same title...same images......I should have listened to some of the reviews (which often I don't, because I assume some like to be overly critical), however, I must say, had I not seen the original UK, (or is it Australian) version, I would have found this to be a fun and innovative cartoon, not to mention the nice image stylings.

However, believe it when you read it, that the grumpy and somewhat rough-edged Santa that is in the UK version, does not have that same "edge" in this DVD edition. He has been polished down, and it appears the cartoon has been made more "family friendly", than the original. I found myself smiling at this DVD, but not roaring at the gritty Santa I had first heard. Still, I don't regret having bought it....just be warned there are two versions of this cartoon...not so image wise...but more through the Santa's personality.
on March 20, 2001
Narrated by none other than Santa himself, FATHER CHRISTMAS is a cute look at the "rest" of Santa's life. Go along for the ride as Santa vacations in France, Scotland and even Las Vegas before returning to the comforts of home.
Not traditional in any sense of the term, this film brings a more modern feel to the "life of Santa". Use parental discretion when purchasing this video... young children may become confused by this story and might come to you with questions such as why Santa has no Mrs., why he only has four reindeer, and why he lives in a house that appears to be in a city. This film is, however, perfect for the post-kindergarden crowd who understand that there is more than one way to look at things and will not be bothered by trivial differences in detail. Also of note is a brief gambling sequence during Santa's visit in Las Vegas. While the video doesn't make mention of it, it does show Santa involved in the act. If you actively avoid exposing your child to this activity, (sadly) you should avoid this film as well.
A mere 24 minutes, this video is perfect for families who don't want to miss out on classic Christmas entertainment but don't want their kids parked in front of a tv for hours. (NOTE: if you have a DVD player, I highly recommend purchasing the joint copy of The Snowman (also by Raymond Brigs and a personal favorite of mine) and Father Christmas - you'll get two holiday classics for far less than the cost of purchasing them seperately).
ENJOY!
on December 20, 2015
Bah, this DVD is a travesty. The original UK version, voiced by Mel Smith, is superb. The decision to re-voice this film with a soulless US-friendly script has robbed this work of art of one of its central qualities. The whole point of the story is that Father Christmas is a grumpy but lovable old bugger. Poor Raymond Briggs.
on December 12, 1999
WARNING.. This in not the hilarious video we saw on TV in 1995. This has been scrubbed for "G" and does not include the dialoge we had hoped to find. We tried the other listed video on this site, and it was a scrubbed"G" also.
on February 9, 2014
A greater conformity to the exemplary narrative of the book would have made this DVD better by an order of 10.
on December 12, 1999
We have tried 2 videos from this site looking for a personal copy of a program we saw on TV in 1995. This has been scrubbed for "G" and does not include the funny dialoge we were expecting.
on February 4, 2016
The version I received was not voiced by Mel Smith <giving Santa the appearance of a loveable, if contrary old sod> but by William Dennis Hunt. The funniest scenes <his carpenters bum> and his use of the word "blooming" have been removed. Still a cute Christmas watch, but definitely not the original.
on December 6, 1998
Raymond Briggs is a wonderful story teller, with distinct and truly magical animation. The story takes an unusual look at the life of Santa, as he prepares for his faithful journey delivering toys to all on Christmas. This is an adult Christmas story that the whole family will enjoy.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 1999
Father Christmas has become a modern British classical Christmas video. I hope it's popularity spreads to the other side of the Atlantic.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse