5.0 out of 5 stars Great adaptation
Published on April 15 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Exercise Caution
This is an interesting story, and the animation does carry a certain charm. The pace is well done, and it does hold your interest. I feel obligated to point this out though. For you parents out there reading this, the ending is very sad, and I feel you should watch it first and then decide if your children should watch it.
Published on Dec 22 2000 by Sean Ares Hirsch

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adaptation, April 15 2004
This review is from: Snowman, the (VHS Tape)
THE SNOWMAN (1982) was an incredible christmas movie.But enventhough it had no talking and just music in it,I would give it 5 stars (or more if possible).It was apted from the wordless story THE SNOWMAN (1978) by Raymond Briggs,renewed in 1990 with words.The book was great,too.I have the special 1990 editon of the book.I DON'T have the movie,but I rented it once and saw it in school when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade.In this 23 minute cartoon ,James builds a snowman and it comes to life.When it comes to life,James invites the snowman to his house and the snowman gives James a flying trip.The book and the movie are both good for preschoolers.If you like Disney's film FANTASIA(1940)(wich also had no talking and just music),Buy this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars even old people watch cartoons too : ), Jan. 20 2004
This review is from: Snowman, the (VHS Tape)
The story and superb animation to the Snowman has to be the most enjoyable, shortest(23 minuite) movie i ever seen.
It all started when my grand children came to greet me on christmas day, as i am a very old man i cant do anything besides watching TV. Then we all sat together and flicked threw the channels to see anything interesting to watch on christmas day.
All of a sudden, the snowman came on tele. My grand children sat next to me as i was smoking my pipe and we watching the most amazing and very enjoyable animation ever. After watching it, i orderd 9 dvd versions for my grand children and even one for myself.hehehe
I personally recommend this cartoon for all ages, it is one of those movies which will remain in your memory the rest of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Children's videos available, April 10 2000
This review is from: Snowman, the (VHS Tape)
This video will always be one of our family favorites. It is so simple we have been watching it since my daughter was two, yet we can still watch it with the same enthusiasm today as we enter her 11th year.
The story is about faith and belief--a sense of wonder, but in a way that is more spiritual than religious. Like the reviewer below, we would heartily agree that being Christian is not a pre-requisite for enjoyment, despite a delightful dance scene with Santa Claus, (the only character in the movie directly related to Christmas).
The movie touches a place in the heart which some may associate with religious belief, while others may be satisfied to find satisfactory the magic and mysterious nature of a child's imaginary world.
In our home, every member of the family is delighted by the movie's magic, without any reservation. The story emphasizes the power of a child's belief, and his creative imagination, and is greatly aided by its lack of conversation or narration, reflecting the wordless storybook which inspired it.
The score, which includes a beautiful, haunting piece of instrumental music for the boy's journey to the North Pole, is mysterious and soothing--very European and modern, yet perfectly appropriate for this movie. I can't think of any reason not to buy this video for every child you know--it's really the type of movie children should grow up with.

5.0 out of 5 stars my hearts leaps up when I watch "The Snowman,", Nov. 20 2000
This review is from: Snowman, the (VHS Tape)
Together by the fire, my 2 1/2 year old daughter and I curl up under blankets, sipping hot chocolate and ooohing and ahhhing over "The Snowman." I am moved to tears by this beautiful dream. My daughter hugs me hard and watches intently as James, the lovely boy, enters a world we all desperately want to believe exists- a world where snowmen come to life and fly- even amongst other snowmen! We are privy to a magical world where snowmen gather in the snow laden forest, while the rest of the world sleeps, dancing and playing silent instruments.
After we watch "The Snowman," I usher my daughter off to her nap, and she snuggles in tightly under her covers and speaks-in a dreamy voice-- of the snowman, and how she can't wait for snow to fall.
"The Snowman" has shaped her imagination in a way I never thought possible. Thank you so much, Mr. Briggs, for bringing such magic into our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars "We're flying through the air...", March 28 2002
cousinpaco (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Believe in magic.
I was a young lad when I first saw "the Snowman." Watching cartoons like "Silverhawks" and "The Mighty Orbots" had left me jaded, cynical, and violence-prone. Following that course would have ended me up in heaps of trouble--I might've even been wanted by the C.I.A.!
Fate intervened on a cold, wintry day in fourth grade, when our wonderful teacher treated us to an in-class video. Little hooligan that I was, I scoffed when the title "the Snowman" appeared. Before long, however, I was swept into a world of beauty, love, and swirling snow. I was transfixed by the image of the Snowman and the little boy soaring o'er the countryside, able to leave all their cares below.
From that day, I've spread joy, peace and love to others. It amazes me that I was once so foolish and cruel. A simple, lovely cartoon changed all that.
Believe in magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still enjoy it after 16 years!, Dec 23 2003
This review is from: Snowman, the (VHS Tape)
I watched this video for the first time when I was a very young child and always enjoyed it. Over the years, I grew up and forgot about it and how much I enjoyed it... until a teacher showed it to my class again in 8th grade. I instantly remembered the movie and fell in love with it again. It brought back such warm memories of my childhood that gave me a strong sense of peace. Ever since then, I have watched it once a year around Christmas time, along with "A Charlie Brown Christmas". I hope that I watch this video every single Christmas for the rest of my life. I can't wait to share it with my little ones so that they can enjoy it as well. The music is absolutely fantastic and part of the reason why I love it so much. So, to possible buyers... Please buy this for your children! It will be something that they enjoy and treasure for the rest of their lives, as I have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure magic, March 31 2000
Jeanmarie (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snowman, the (VHS Tape)
My three-year-old son and I were equally rapt as we watched this movie. The flying sequence is breathtakingly perfect, and my son, who will never sing in front of me, after the second viewing started to unself-consciously sing along with the boy soprano. The purity and innocence of his sweet little boy voice reaching for the high notes - that alone brought tears to my eyes, but when I finally got to see the ending, I cried just about as much as at the end of E.T. (I'm 34 and my friends thought I was nuts). I'm buying another copy, even though my friend gave me hers when she saw how attached we were to it - I figure it will make a wonderful present for some other small child. If you've got children, make it a point to watch this with them, then move on to "When the Wind Blows" when they're in junior high - both teach values you'll want to explore together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good and most preferred by my five year old son., May 23 1999
This review is from: Snowman, the (VHS Tape)
In a world where big, loud and violent seems to be the popular trend with children, I was most impressed by the way this movie captivates all who are within hearing distance of it. Also I was suprised at my yound five year old sons immediate "hands downs" choice of this movie over all other videos. It is true quality and a movie for which parents do not have to worry about overall content or story line. It is simple and for many, may be the first example of true hand art and symphonic music perfectly blended together. GREAT JOB, WE NEED MORE MOVIES LIKE THIS! Put this one on without introduction and just observe the way it captures your childrens imagination. Even though it is typically a story centered around the Winter/Christmas time of year it is viewed by all of us all year.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Snowman - a magical adventure for the whole family, March 20 2001
sillygirl412 "sillygirl412" (Ossining, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snowman, the (VHS Tape)
If you want wholesome christmas entertainment that the entire family can enjoy year after year, grab a fuzzy blanket, a hot mug of cocoa, and each other and snuggle up to THE SNOWMAN.
The colored drawing effect of the cartoon will delight children of all ages. The peaceful soundtrack will make you forget the lack of dialogue. This film stimulates the imagination of all who watch it! Its simplicity is just pure magic.
Fortunately, I own this film on DVD (which is actually a double feature with another holiday classic: Father Christmas- check it out if you have a DVD player), so I no longer have to worry about our copy breaking from over-use.
I highly recommend making The Snowman the next addition to your holiday collection. It's sure to become a favorite!

5.0 out of 5 stars the most beautiful music, May 24 2000
This review is from: Snowman, the (VHS Tape)
we loaned our "snowman" video to a friend and can't remember who it was, so we are purchasing another one! apparently, whomever we loaned it to loves it just as much! my children, 4 and 7, will watch this movie over and over and over. My 4 year old, who has never had a piano lesson, has been desperate to figure out how to play the "snowman" music on our electronic keyboard. I could just listen to the music forever. Just found out it's on CD, so I'm going to look for it. I keep reading about Jewish people reviewing the movie and saying it doesn't matter to them that it's a Christmas video. I am Jewish too, and it never even occurred to me that it was a Christmas movie until I read these reviews! The most beautiful children's video available.

The Snowman
The Snowman by Jimmy T. Murakami (DVD - 2006)
CDN$ 66.22