4.0 out of 5 stars A B Movie 2 C
7 August 07

Were it not for Nathan Fillion of the Firefly/Serenity series, my wife and I would never have watched Slither last week.

Abashedly, I'll admit I'm glad we did.

Published on Aug. 6 2007 by Laurence R. Hunt

1.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to Slither as far away as possible from this movie
i realize that this movie is supposed to be a horror comedy.however,
for me it is missing two important elements.horror and comedy.i never
once laughed during this movie,nor was i even remotely scared. i felt
it was truly a waste of my time.i guess i just didn't get it,whatever
it was that other people saw in this movie.for me this movie was less...
Published on Oct. 31 2007 by falcon

4.0 out of 5 stars A B Movie 2 C, Aug. 6 2007
Laurence R. Hunt "Laurence Hunt" (Kenora, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
7 August 07

Abashedly, I'll admit I'm glad we did.

Fillion did not disappoint, though I doubt that he made a bundle of money for his starring role in this B-movie. We'd gladly have him back on Serenity for years more of Firefly episodes.

The budget was so slim that the monster effects had to be scaled down to what the production crew could afford. Thus, the nasty little slithery monsters had to attack the victim/survivor of the cover of the DVD on the balcony outside the house, because there were not sufficient funds to pay for the little critters to swarm through her home.

So, what was good about this B-movie? Well, director James Gunn has a sense of humour, and is utterly reverent for some of the masters of this genre, particularly Canadian David Cronenberg.

Allusions to other films are interspersed throughout, including one that we caught - Fillion refuses the hand grenade to a deputized posse member, as he did with Jayne in Firefly (Susan noticed this, I hope I've got it right). Also, the lead character in Cronenberg's The Fly is referenced in a brand name at the supermarket, so the trivia buffs will be delighted.

Gunn prefers the "creepy" to the scary, and he has a fairly deft sense of where to draw the line between these two distinctly different genres. While the aliens take out most community members in the (I presume mythical) town of Wheelsy, it is not through the type of gruesome and mounting body count that typifies slasher movies (which hold no appeal at all for me personally).

Further, the monsters and their attack strategy to conquer planet earth are fairly imaginative, to say the least, and the actors have taken the script and run with it, including some younger children (who did very well at playing "zombies") as well as several established actors, who are clearly quite skilful at their craft. The aliens never advance beyond Wheelsy, because the tiny band of local survivors are ultimately so capable of fending them off.

I would say that I laughed at the various permutations and mating strategies of the lead monster more than at anything else. You have to see his dangling (slithering?) arm and the queen of the colony to understand what I am talking about on this point. May I tell you that the alien beast inhabits the body of a principle actor, and that his obsessive fixation with the previously unresponsive wife of this key character is a source of much of the film's irony. Unfortunately for our alien-inhabited antagonist, I believe that Fillion will get the girl, though the film does not pursue this thread of the story.

Not much more to say about a B-movie of this type. If you're looking for Kurosawa, Antonioni or Bergman - this is not it.

But if you'd like to be provoked to laugh at something that is ultimately light and imaginative, well, it might be worth two hours if you really have nothing at all else to do!

4.0 out of 5 stars Old-fashioned horror fun, Oct. 23 2011
Andre Farant (Ottawa, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Slither (Widescreen) (DVD)
A fun throwback to movies like The Blob and Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Slither combines horror with an absurdist sense of humour, pitch-perfect performances, and deliriously campy make-up effects. Great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Where is the Mr. Pibb?", Aug. 16 2009
Outstanding horror movie with a comedic edge. Outstanding direction, cast, script and special fx. Disc has a good combo of pretty solid video, audio(Dolby TrueHD) and extras.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly refreshing, witty shlock horror, Feb. 7 2010
Josh Adams (Newfoundland, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slither (Widescreen) (DVD)
Despite hearing bundles of praise for "Slither" I was on-the-fence about renting it. The thing is, it's one of those genre-bending horror-comedy flicks and I find those too contrived and cheeky to like. The only one coming to mind at all being Eli Roth's "Cabin Fever" -- which I'd recommend to fans of "Slither".

"Slither" impressed me completely. I found myself cringing at the (top-notch) effects and laughing at many of the deftly-executed jokes throughout. For me this movie succeeded in its two objectives -- grossing me out and making me chuckle. And what more could I ask for?

In order to appreciate this you need to have an open mind while viewing. Don't watch set out to deliberatly not laugh or else the hilarity of the movie will be in vain. Don't watch and expect nightmare-inducing images of horror because this movie is not like that -- it's a pure splatterfest. Never did I feel scared but the awesome gore and flawless creature design were admirable and nasty (aka *NOT* a CGI free-for-all a la "The Midnight Meat Train").

Every character you encounter from the major to the minor is perfect. They're all 100% genuine and could easily exist among us. We have no He-Men or Wonder Women who can have their arm torn from its socket and four rounds embedded in their chests and still pummel the baddies.

While on the topic of characters I MUST mention Gregg Henry (who played Mayor Jack MacReady). He is comedic gold and is quite possibly the most quotable dude in cinema history. His role made the movie for me (well, that may be a stretch...) and I need to commit some of his one-liners to memory to use day-to-day. In any other movie the lines would've been pure cheese and killed the feel, but the timing of the comedy is brilliant.

Most horror-comedy crossovers have an atrocious story with trite ideas and try to force snickers out of you with sheer ridiculousness alone, but not "Slither". This had a feasible plot with clever ideas (though it may have borrowed a thing or two from creature-feature heavy-weight "Alien") and if it wasn't such a riot it would've made a damn fine alien invasion flick.

An 80's horror throwback, a knot-inducing riot, and a splatterfest like no other, I have nothing negative to say about "Slither". Hopefully this week I'll track down a copy to buy so it can snake its way into my horror collection.

9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars James Gunn is a good influence in Hollywood., Dec 22 2007
Ton (the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slither (Bilingual) [Import] (DVD)
James Gunn is a genius in scriptwriting, and he is a very rare species
of people making it in the Hollywood scene without selling out. His
scripts always show his true sense of humor and cynicism. He always
puts a lot of Troma in there. Before Directing and writing Slither he
wrote a number of highly successful theatrical hits, and he managed to
make even Scooby Doo highly enjoyable and even did the impossible by
writing an absolutely amazing script for the remake of absolute classic
amongst classics of horror-films Dawn of the Dead - something me and
many others always thought of as being totally impossible.

However brilliant, none of Gunn's scripts, including Slither, although
it comes close, are as GENIUS as the first one he ever wrote to be made
in a film: Tromeo and Juliet, directed by Lloyd Kaufman (with Gunn as
assistant director). Although not selling out, is it clear that all
films for larger studio's need some concessions here and there, while
Tromeo and Juliet has none of that, and truly shows Gunns genius
without any restrictions (and it is, incidentally available on a tenth
anniversary double disc, with huge contributions of James Gunn
himself!!). All this said I can only conclude that Slither is a
fantastic film, with a script as good as or maybe even better than his
DAWN remake, and with it James Gunn shows he is perfect for directing
his own work, because the film as a whole is far better than DAWN. An
absolute must see, must have.

The DVD also includes a very enjoyable video diary by independent
film-legend Lloyd Kaufman, who has a cameo in Slither.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to Slither as far away as possible from this movie, Oct. 31 2007
falcon "disdressed12" (canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
i realize that this movie is supposed to be a horror comedy.however,
for me it is missing two important elements.horror and comedy.i never
once laughed during this movie,nor was i even remotely scared. i felt
it was truly a waste of my time.i guess i just didn't get it,whatever
it was that other people saw in this movie.for me this movie was less
than 0/5.i really don't know what else to say.

Slither (Widescreen)
Slither (Widescreen) by James Gunn (DVD - 2006)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.31
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available