4.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt telling of a true Canadian icon, July 22 2007
Matthew King - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maurice Richard: The Rocket (French With English Subtitles) (Version française) (DVD)
"The Rocket" is based on the life and times of the Montreal Canadiens' great Maurice Richard. The film takes us through his early years as a working poor machinist struggling to enter the NHL. Nobody believes in him except for the Canadians coach who takes a chance on the "soft and injury-prone" french canadian. The movie also serves as a fine account of the post-world war 2 era in Canada and the deep divisions between english and french canadians during that time. Roy Dupuis gives a remarkable performance as the Rocket. Not overacted, but a subdued rendering of the introverted hockey icon. I can totally see why this guy is a huge star in Quebec. Watch "The Rocket" both for its historical account of the times and as a terrific piece of cinema.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, July 17 2009
Audrey Artero (Gard, France) - See all my reviews
Being French, I wasn't sure I'd be into a film about a NHL legend. After all, our sport here is definitely soccer. Was I wrong! Wonderful actors (all of them but Roy is really something else), great directing and photography, and what a storyline! Real life events do make brilliant scenarios.
In my opinion, a "must see".