Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

on January 9, 2003
I first saw this film when it first came out and I was in fifth grade. To a ten year old boy Flint was one of the coolest guys on Earth and months after I saw the movie I was still trying to figure out how to turn the girls in my class into "pleasure units." Lucky for all of us, I never succeeded.
Both Flint movies are a cornucopia of camp and to really enjoy them you have to turn your brain down a few notches and turn up your suspension of disbelief to the max. Just enjoy the silly, sexy adventures of our improbable hero.
Now about all those stars in some other reviews. To me a five-star movie is Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, Days of Heaven, The Conversation, Lolita--perfect of near perfect examples of cinematic art. As amusing as Our Man Flint is, it falls far short of such glory.
Still, this is a fun flick worth a look.
on July 23, 2002
At long, long last, the Derek Flint films are available on DVD for spy movie fans.
The transfer is okay, but there is no commentary or other extras to speak of (just a trailer). Hard to believe, as popular as Flint has always been, that Mr. Coburn and the other cast and crew members who are still with us could not be interviewed or asked to give commentary on the disc. A bit slipshod of Fox to let all that pass them by, and a bit of a disservice to fans of Flint. On the other hand, at least we now have Mr. Flint in glorious widescreen.
The spoof of the spy genre is right on the money; Flint is a swinger with the best Rat Pack sensibility. Flint is a master of martial arts, fine food, music, art, science, and, of course, women. Flint is an expert at everything under the sun, but is also perfectly modest, and admits he still has much to learn.
Probably the most interesting thing about this film is that the producers took it seriously enough to produce a very competent, lavish movie. You can see what I mean in the climax, as we are treated to a wonderful crane shot that follows Flint up a service ladder to a gangway where he fights a couple of bad guys. No one had to do this, and maybe having a spy climb a ladder was just part of the spoof of man-of-action characters, but it works nevertheless to build the tension as we see our hero in combat high above the concrete below. By "climbing" the ladder with him, we get a sense of the danger Flint is in, which makes him seem all the more a man-of-action.
Although meant to be a spy spoof, it competes with vintage Bond films very, very sucessfully. You can tell they spent some money, and were conscious of not only spoofing Bond, but of doing their own thing. In this way, Flint can meet a very George Latzenby-looking fellow secret agent (Triple-Oh-Eight), have almost miraculous spy gadgets, and battle villains in a spacious and exotic secret lair, while at the same time being full of original and stylish non-Bond elements.
The biggest flaw of the two Flint films is that there are not more of them. Pity. There should have been!
on January 9, 2002
Even as a spoof of James Bond and his world, Derek Flint is a superior hero. First, this film, and its sequel, have much more humor than any Bond film yet. Bond may lay down a few funny lines at the right moment, but Flint is witty more often, and in a more intelligent, less demeaning way. Second, Bond takes orders, Flint chooses his assignments. This gives Flint an edginess Bond lacks. In fact, in this film, Flint initially refuses to save the world because he's too busy conducting research or something. Third, Bond is given gadgets by M, but Flint makes his own. In fact, when he is asked to memorize the government's secret code, he asks the government agents to learn his code to save time (because he already knows his own code). Finally, and most importantly, Bond wouldn't be Bond without the so-called Bond women. Flint is also constantly surrounded by admiring women, but that is not what motivates him or holds his interest and attention. He is first a scientist and humanitarian. All real men are whole men without the need for women to complete them. I could go on favorably comparing Derek Flint to James Bond, but the result would be the same. Flint is superior, and this film, and its sequel, will never lose their advantage or their audience to that other sissy.
on November 1, 2001
Slim and craggy James Coburn at his best. He is the spy who out bonds Bond. Complete with exotic gadgets like his cigarette lighter, blowdart pen and extraordinary watch, Flint is a Karate expert (in real life he learned Jeet Koon Do from Bruce Lee), a genius, a gourmet, a scientist and one hell of a macho guy all rolled into one. I have seen this movie so many times I forget. Yet it never fails to entertain and impress me. The hypnotic soundtrack with a samba beat and lots of sexy, beautiful girls are simply outstanding! Lest you think no such person could ever exist, let me assure you that there are people still alive who are capable of Flint's audacious acts of bravery. One example is Green Beret Dick Meadows who seved with distinction in Vietnam behind enemy lines with the Special Operations Group. Another is Capt. Roger Donlon who won the first Medal of Honour in Vietnam.
on July 26, 2002
My memories of the Flint series was formed by late night television viewing. I remembered a super cool lead, beautiful women and great classically 60's sets and colors. The Flint movies sit in my memories like the Matt Helm (Dean Martin) films.
Coburn's Flint is a upgraded version of Connery's James Bond. Not a government worker, Flint is the ultimate alpha, better at anything and everything.
When the DVD's came out, I rushed to get them. They had to be a part of my collection. The DVD's are basic, with nothing in the way of extras. Watching the movie was as much fun as I expected. The attitudes are ancient, the look is dated and action almost comic. I LOVED IT!!!!!
The movie holds up better than most of the same era. Our Man Flint may not be one of the 100 best movies of all time, but it sits high on the list of cult classics.
Enjoy the DVD!
on June 21, 2015
What can I say about the Flint movies? Well, for one thing, I am a huge fan of parody. Yes, these movies are a take off on the James Bond craze of the 60's. I think they do a good job of spoofing the spy genre. I'm a huge fan of the Bond movies and I think James Coburn did a great job as Derek Flint. The two movies have plenty of action and comedy, and especially, beautiful women. It is a shame that they never filmed a third Flint movie, however, by the time In Like Flint was released, the spy craze was losing steam. By the way, I only listed the two Flint movies as my favorites. There is a third Flint movie in this collection, but, it is a TV movie from 1976, and does not star James Coburn. In my opinion, it is a weak imitation of the previous Flint movies and I dismiss it from the series.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 3, 2011
Bought this based on memories of watching this as a kid. Sadly, it's pretty humorless despite the gadgets, Lee J. Cobb, James Coburn and various babes.
I was shocked at how hokey the premise was to each movie and the sets looked tacky bar maybe Flint's pad.
The extra DVD has some attempted made-for-TV Flint pilot movie that never made the air (I believe and it shows!). The rest are just plain filler. I expected way more in-depth interviews and maybe some sort of explanation of whys and hows of parodying the James Bond flicks.
Oh well, goes to show that memories are often better than the real thing.

Actually, I'd sooner have bought a DVD of James Coburn's "Speak Lark" TV ads he did in Japan. Now those are deadpan funny.
on April 4, 2010
.The Ultimate Flint Collection - Our Man Flint / In Like Flint (3 DVDs)
I liked the movies in this collection, but they were not as well done as the movies in the Matt Helm Loungs Collectio featuring Dean Martin.
on May 22, 1999
Where James Bond needs all these gadgets to perform superhuman acts Flint usese ingenuity, and some neat gadgets. He's trying to stop Malcom Rodney a suave spy played tongue-in -cheek by the handsome Edward Mulhare. The movie is a little slow and somewhat cheesy but it is defintely the father of Austin Powers, if you like that 60's spy stuff. The confrontation between Flint and Rodney is a highlight along with the three mad scientists(in cluding the chinese scientist with the Jewish last name and the caucasin scientist with the chinese name)
on March 28, 2014
The over the top brilliance of this film still hold well today even allowing for the dated subject matter and refernces... were it not for Derek Flint there would have been no Austin Powers... both of the films were wonderful in their simplicity and with the tongue in cheek reverance to the spy genre. well worth the addition to any collection.