4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed At What's Missing

Published on March 1 2003 by Nix Pix

2.0 out of 5 stars Not "Something Wonderful" This Time Around, March 1 2003
Nix Pix (Windsor, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)
Yul Brynner's performance in "The King And I" must stand out as one of a handful of truly memorable film performances. Rodgers and Hammerstein's sweeping musical/drama has been the subject of much critical debate. The Siamese continue to feel that both the play and the film present their monarch as a simple thug converted by colonialism as represented, at least here, by the stunning person of Deborah Kerr. As a musical this is definitely one of the all time greats. It's just such a shame that Fox, the company responsible for this DVD, hasn't realized this. The non-anamorphic DVD is loaded with digital imperfections, aliasing, shimmering, grain and dirt that make for a pretty dismal visual presentation. Also, extras are zero, not even a featurette or interviews. What a disappointment. This is definitely a title that needs to be revisited and soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed At What's Missing, April 22 2004
R E Nelson "rolnel2" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)
I recall seeing the original road show engagement of this in the mid-1950's and recall vividly seeing the "Shall I Tell You What I Think of You" (with Anna combing her hair as she sings it) and "My Lord and Master" in that showing and being disappointed that the subsequent theatre, television, and video showings did not have those performances included. I was hoping the DVD would include all of the original material and am disappointed that it evidently does not. Still and all, I love the film and still love watching it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Movie, Nov. 9 2008
Caroline Lightowler "csl" (London, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (DVD)
This movie is absolutely wonderful - especially with Yul Brynner. The music, costumes and sets are amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic movie. But missing too many great songs!, March 13 2004
Lou "L.S" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)
The King And I, Is a fantastic film. A great adaption from stage to film. The peformances by Brynner and Kerr are simply amazing, and the beautiful Rita Moreno does a spectacular job as playing the slave Tuptim. I'm sure you know the story, so I won't go on about that. I am most dissapointed with the cut of so many great songs, I understand the film was very long, but cutting many great songs makes the movie less enjoyable for me.
The songs cut for the film are Tuptim's beautiful "My Lord And Master", "The Royal Bangkok Academy", "A Puzzlement REPRISE", "Shall I Tell You What I Think Of You?", "Western People Funny", and Tuptim's and Lun Tha's "I Have Dreamed". In my opinion the two most drastic cuts are the beautiful "My Lord And Master", and "I have Dreamed", which are considered two of the most beautiful and powerful songs in the whole score. LUCKILY! Those two songs were recorded along with "Shall I Tell you..." So its great we get to hear Rita Moreno on Tuptim's other songs, even though Rita had slight augmenting done with her high notes by another woman, for most part it was Rita's voice, and her voice was beautiful indeed. Sadly, songs like Lady Thiang's and Wive's hilarious "Western People Funny" was not recorded, And I think the song is fantastic.
Otherwise, the cut of those wonderful songs, are the only dissapointment for me. So this movie is amazing. I highly recommend this masterpiece. The DVD is great, with great bonus features, and being remastered..the picture quality is great.
Get this DVD, and enjoy a classic musical!

5.0 out of 5 stars A PUZZLEMENT OF MAGNIFICENT PORPORTIONS, Feb. 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)
BEAUTY, MAJESTY AND SPLENDOR, February 2, 2004 Reviewer: mr5012u@aol.com, Beverly Hills IN United States
One of the grandest, most entertaining musicals ever committed to the silver screen, "The King And I" is one of Rodgers and Hammerstein's greatest achievements. From the film's excellent performances by two beloved screen icons, Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr, to the splendid score, to the breathtakingly beautiful cinematography and set direction and elegant costuming... all come together to create an indelible movie masterpiece.
Loosely based on the real-life story of British schoolteacher Anna Leonowens, the film begins in the year 1860, when Leonowens (Kerr, at her most beautiful and most charming) comes to Siam with her young son to educate the many children of His Majesty the King of Siam (Yul Brynner, in an oustanding Academy-Award winning performance). Although Anna enjoys very friendly relationships with her charges, she has many conflicts with the stubborn King, at first refusing to live in the palace, in the King's "harem". He questions her culture and customs, but many of which he readily adopts, including the phrase: "Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera," (which becomes an oft-repeated line in the film). Although wary of the proper Englishwoman, he is intrigued by her teaching methods and her sly sense of humor and her pronounced propriety. Anna soon finds herself developing a deeper relationship with her employer... and the unspoken feeling is mutual.
Another romantic drama is also unfolding behind the scenes: Tuptim, the King's favorite courtesan, has fallen in love with Lun Tha, a young slave. They wish to run away together, but to forever seal their love, they would have to defy the King... or be separated forever.
With underlined with unspoken emotions, vain pride, and biting humor, "The King And I" is glorious entertainment, not only for its fine performances and glamorous spectacle, but for its legendary music: Kerr and the children perform a delightful rendition of the classic "Getting To Know You", Kerr sings the praises of young love in "Hello, Young Lovers", Brynner shines with his pronounced staccato "Confusion", and the film's most memorable scene has Kerr and Brynner waltzing and singing to the film's masterpiece, "Shall We Dance?".
The film is also full of many golden scenes: the King's wives giggling at the sight of Kerr in a billowy petticoated gown (believing that is how she is shaped!), Kerr teaching the inquisitive Siamese youngsters about falling lace from the sky called snow, and one scene in particular, a royal banquet given for an English ambassador, with a performance by the King's dancers of an interpretive version of "Uncle Tom's Cabin", reworked as "Small House of Uncle Thomas", which is very entertaining. And the film's final, memorable scene will not be forgotten quickly.
Rodgers and Hammerstein work their incredible magic and Hollywood works its own magic in this beloved movie musical, which has delighted and entertained audiences for years, and lives on in this celebrated film classic. -- David Harrison Levi --

5.0 out of 5 stars The Man Who Would Be King, Forever!, Aug. 11 2002
Linda McDonnell "TutorGal" (Brooklyn, U.S.A) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)
I find it interesting to stop every once in a while and think about the title, "The King and I"--notice the use of the pronoun "I". The original musical play was a showcase for Gertrude Lawrence, who played Anna, the "I" of the title. It was about her, from her point of view. The relatively obscure Yul Brynner's King was important, but not the main character. Well, by the time Brynner died after many revivals and tours decades later, just about everyone had forgotten about "I" being the main character--this show was about the King. A wonderful study of how one man's undeniable charisma forced itself upon the public.
I just LOVED this movie when I was a little girl, partly because of the songs, but mostly because of the gigantic hoop skirts Ms. Kerr sports. They just get bigger and bigger as the movie progresses, until the final iridescent ballgown. I saw this once on a big screen, and when they do that big polka in "Shall We Dance", the momentum of their dance made the skirt seem to billow out into the audience. Wow! Then someone bought the LP, and I played it over and over and learned not only all the songs but the instrumental parts too. Couldn't get enough of it, then or now.
Here is an unlikely love story of how a British governess arrives in 1860s Siam to teach the many children of the King. She and the King have many cultural differences, but ultimately come to respect and admire each other, just to brink of romance. But, that can never really be, for a multitude of reasons. Deborah Kerr is a great Anna, ever so proper but willing to unbutton it a little in her dealings with Brynner's outrageous King. He's more bark than bite, we find out by and by. Great songs, too: "I Whistle a Happy Tune", "Hello, Young Lovers", "Getting to Know You", "I Have Dreamed" (just makes me swoon to think of it!), and the great "March of the Siamese Children" when more children than you can count come to greet their new governess, who is as absolutely charmed as the audience by the song's end. Worth noting that Ms. Kerr's songs were dubbed by Marni Nixon, who did the honors again in "My Fair Lady" and "West Side Story". Yul was dubbed by no one.
One of the very best Hollywood musicals, "The King and I" will entertain you royally, have no doubt!

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid, splendid!, July 8 2002
Melanie N. Lee "mnl_1221" (Corona, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (VHS Tape)
One of the best movies of an R&H musical, The King and I locks English schoolteacher Anna Leonowens in a battle of wills with King Mongkut of Siam, circa 1862. The King has hired Anna to teach the royal children and wives in the court at Bangkok. As Anna introduces Western ideas to the Siamese children, the King finds it harder and harder to choose between being a fair-minded, enlightened leader and an absolute ruler. The crux of contention emerges over Tuptim, a Burmese young woman given to the King as a "present" even though she loves another man.
"The Small House of Uncle Thomas", a ballet adaptation of the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin, presented by the royal dancers, is fascinating to watch. Most of the songs are superb, and the action and emotion rise sharply throughout the film. I cannot address the concerns over stereotyping of Siamese characters (or English characters). In all, The King and I matches two worthy opponents who respect each other (and secretly love each other?) but cannot give in to each other.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shall I tell you what I think?, Dec 25 2001
James W. Mccully (Wake Forest, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)
This is a wonderful movie and with a well deserved Academy Award for Yul Bryner as the King of Siam. If you watch The Sound of Movies it will tell you some of the backstory on the King and I. I really question the reviewer on here who said it was boring. Also, Anna did not become his concubine.Far from it. This is based on a real story. Read the book. I saw the old black and white version with Irene Dunn and Rex Harrison and read the book and the boyfriend of the slave girl who was brought to the king was burned at the stake with her I believe. I like the way that they change that ending in this movie. Yul Bryner really did deserve the Oscar for his performance. The music is wonderful as usual in this with Marni Nixon partly dubbing Deborah Kerr's singing voice. I know that the Uncle Tom reenactment is supposed to be dramatic and moving and I guess it is the first time you see it but kind of dull for me but it does need this for part of the point of the story. Also, hate that they did cut some of the songs from Broadway to Movie. I have the soundtrack of the movie and they are on the cd. I think the people who give classic movies bad ratings are just totally out of touch with the world. I would love to converse with people who do recognize great movie making, but I'm glad I don't have to converse with those who find this and other great movies "dull". I guess they are the ones who like all this action stuff. This is not for you, people who dislike musicals, and seemingly slow moving plots. I grew up being exposed to great musicals and great music and most of the people who do like movies like this one come from the same background. For those young people who have an interest in the arts, you need to see this. I hate that children are growing up exposed to PG/R and X movies and not many G rated movies and most of the stuff is action and full of bad language. Okay, I'm on my soapbox. I do like some action but those of you who understand my point, will get it and those who don't will be the same people who don't like this movie. The only reason I gave this movie 4 stars instead of 5 is because of the deleted music but if I had never known about it, it would get 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTY, MAJESTY AND SPLENDOR, April 5 2001
Sean Orlosky (Yorktown, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (VHS Tape)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's only flaw is that it isn't complete..., Nov. 3 2000
"tomovieboy" (Thousand Oaks, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)
A long-awaited arrival on DVD, THE KING AND I is one of the best examples of stage-to-screen adaptation, except for one glaring fault - the trimming of the score! 20th Century-Fox spent lots of effort and money to bring this Rodgers and Hammerstein hit to the very wide CinemaScope 55 screen, and the various artists who worked on the project certainly put a stunning vision of the show up on that wide screen. Production and costume design are dazzling, the orchestrations are expansive in magnetic stereo (re-engineered for Dolby 5.1), the cast is simply perfect; overall a first rate presentation of the material. But at the last minute, the studio scrapped their original idea to roadshow the picture in 55mm, and some filmed numbers were dropped to shorten the overall length. This is always detrimental, not matter what the excuses for cutting, because it means that the show becomes less than complete. But even if we could overlook the cutting of the second half of "I Whistle a Happy Tune", "Western People Funny", and maybe "My Lord and Master", the deletion of Anna's biting "Shall I Tell You What I Think of You?" is inexcusable, and the cutting of the score's most beautiful ballad, "I Have Dreamed", is a genuine crime. One might have been hopeful that Fox would have restored, or at least included as outtakes, the missing numbers for DVD, but no such luck! The same fate has also befallen their recent release of the 1967 DOCTOR DOLITTLE.
All of that said, this is a gorgeous transfer of a beautiful film, both visually and sonically. The deluxe laserdisc set was very pretty, but the DVD image is much sharper and clearer. Unfortunately, few of the extras on the laserdisc were transferred to DVD, thereby leaving non-laserdisc fans in the dark regarding production, deleted scenes, photos from the deleted footage, and the entertaining explanation of the whole confusion with regard to roadshow vs. non-roadshow, the overture on the soundtrack album, and the lack of such accoutrements on the first run prints (which were in 35mm, reduced from the 55mm negative). Briefly, the decision to not send the film out 55mm hard-ticket was made far enough in advance so that overture, intermission, and exit music were not created for the 1956 release. The 1956 soundtrack album has all the songs, but the overture on that recording was done especially for the album, and never was intended for the film. People who swore they saw the film with these tracks were thinking of the 1962 re-release, blown up to 70mm Grandeur with 6-track stereo, that was presented on a reserved seat basis. This special re-release had overture, entr'acte, and exit music stitched together from the underscoring of the film, but still no deleted numbers from 1956! Nonetheless, this DVD actually holds the extra roadshow tracks, something that the laserdisc (being a faithful representation of the 1956 first run) did not carry, so that's another reason to see this version. Now if Fox Video would just find those missing songs...

The King and I
The King and I by DVD (DVD - 2006)
CDN$ 37.98