5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy Customer...
Published on April 1 2010 by Jace Wagner

2.0 out of 5 stars Was great in it's time,but now is just a curiosity.
Published on May 15 2001 by J. lopez

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy Customer..., April 1 2010
To be honest, I have had every rendition of this movie available to me for home viewing, so this was to not put too much of a fine point on it, not really a necessary purchase. Nevertheless, It was my birthday and I was kinda feeling a bit down, so I went to the store and searched the Blu-ray section for some movies I might have missed. Then, what should my wondering eyes behold? SUPERMAN THE MOVIE on Blu-ray DVD! I thought, what the heck! Now the price was fairly decent, and there was a few extras on the disc. I watched that night after work, and found that the movie seemed kinda different with the added clarity and better sound, it was like a whole new movie. Now I know this movie pretty much backwards and forwards, but when a new format makes a old movie seem like new, that kind of purchase makes you sad day a bit happier. I recommend this movie for Superman fans and people like classic movies. Nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars technically and artistically brilliant (plus loads of great extras), Sept. 18 2007
considering this movie was made in the late 1970's,it is a remarkable
achievement.technically,it is nearly flawless,in my opinion.i guess
there are few tiny details you could pick apart if you wanted to,but
overall,it's a brilliant piece of work.as for the movie itself,i
thought the story was superb,with a lot of depth to it.the movie was
well acted and believable.Having Marlon Brandon and Gene Hackman was a
stroke of luck,as well as genius.and hiring a then unknown Christopher
Reeve in the title role was equally genius.having an unknown keeps the
focus on the character and the story,not the actor.a famous actor in
the role would not have been believable.Margot Kidder was also good as
Lois Lane.the rest of the supporting cast was also great.this movie is
a true epic,which still has an impact today.the special effects were
cutting edge at the time.i think the movie as a whole has more than
stood the test of time.an easy 5/5 in my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was great in it's time,but now is just a curiosity., May 15 2001
J. lopez "Joe Vector" (Buffaloro) - See all my reviews
I realize that what i'm about to say is going to be considered sacreligious to all you S-Man fans,but DVD does nothing to hide the fact that "Superman the Movie",and the rest of the series have not aged well.I loved them when i was young,but now,even with the enhanced sound,and fairly decent DVD transfer,there is nothing appealing about the man in tights.I tried to enjoy it with the same youthful wonderment i did as a child,but i soon realized there's times when you can't go back.I did'nt even finish watching it,that's how boring and outdated everything felt.If you are a fan,you probably pre-ordered the original,or the collection the day it was announced,but i would caution the undecided to maybe rent them first,to see if the magic is still there.You'll be glad you did.

2.0 out of 5 stars Illogical plot spoils Superman The Movie., March 30 2001
By A Customer
I remember going to see this movie in 1978.You could feel the anticipation and excitement in the audience just before the first flying scene.You can believe a man can fly,but can you believe the illogical plot?Lex Luther(Gene Hackman)is going to create new beachfront property by separating California from the rest of the USA with nuclear weapons and Superman reverses time by reversing the rotation of the Earth(come again??).This movie has superb production values and good performances,but is let down by a ridiculous and campy plot and villian.If it had stuck to a serious plot,like Star Wars,it would have done much better.An over-rated film.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll Believe . . ., March 25 2015
Before the doomed planet Krypton explodes, Jor-El and wife Lara send their infant son, Kal-El, to Earth to save his life. Discovered in a field and raised by Jonathan and Martha Kent, Kal-El—renamed Clark—grows up to discover he has powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. After leaving the farm after high school, Clark heads north and meets a holographic projection of Jor-El and learns who he really is and what he is meant to do. Twelve years later, Clark re-enters the world and becomes Superman, a symbol of hope in a world that desperately needs it.

Upon observing Superman’s debut, the greatest criminal mind of our time, Lex Luthor, hatches a clever real estate scheme to destroy the Man of Steel while also making himself filthy rich.

With millions of lives in the balance as well as his own, can Superman stop Lex and put an end to the madman’s plan?

Like most kids, I watched this flick a thousand times. Okay, maybe not a thousand, but as often as I could considering my parents taped it for me and I knew how to work the VCR. At one point, I think we even had a VHS tape that had all four Superman movies on it from when they aired on TV. Anyway, I’ll freely admit this review is totally biased as we’re talking about a movie—especially a Superman movie—from my childhood, and it’s impossible for me to watch the movie now without memories of being a kid, holding my Superman action figure and watching Superman catch Lois Lane falling from a helicopter that’s stuck on the side of a building.

That said, this movie is still aces for loads of reasons. One, it was taken seriously. I read somewhere that Christopher Reeve—who plays Superman/Clark Kent—put forth that he wanted to do it straight-laced. Up until then, you had the Batman TV series for men in tights (unless you counted the Green Hornet TV series, which was semi-serious), and then the cartoons. There was the George Reeves Adventures of Superman series in the ’50s and the Kirk Allen series before that, but in terms of immediate “superheroes in people” memory, you had ’60s Batman and that was it.

By taking the source material seriously, by playing Superman as if it’s really happening, this was the first time audiences were treated to superheroes in real life and the filmmakers weren’t kidding when they said, “You’ll believe a man can fly.” I know I did, both now and when I was a kid. Superman was larger than life on the screen, whether he was using his powers or not. He inspired hope, and the film didn’t shy away from showcasing a Superman that fought for “Truth, Justice and the American Way.”

We got to see Superman enjoy being Superman, especially during his first night out saving a cat stuck in a tree, stopping Air Force One from falling to the ground, apprehending a jewel thief and putting an end to a criminal/police car chase.

Christopher Reeve as Superman has been the benchmark every other Superman actor has tried to reach. His Superman is bold, idealistic, hopeful and kind. As Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter for the Daily Planet, he did a fine job of really making you believe he was two different people when all he really had to use was a change of clothes, a new hairstyle and a pair of glasses. The guy changed his voice, his mannerisms, his speech—everything. I bought it. Go ahead. Put a picture of the two side-by-side and it’s like two different guys, so I don’t believe it when people nowadays say a pair of glasses is a stupid idea to conceal your identity. Ever have someone you know really well not recognize you after a haircut? It’s happened to me and that’s just a haircut not something covering part of my face like glasses. Anyway . . .

Margot Kidder was a solid Lois Lane: brash, driven and totally obsessed with Superman while being dismissive of Clark Kent. Her way of treating the two totally made the bizarre love triangle that is Superman/Lois/Clark work. Aside from some bad decisions that maybe we wouldn’t expect a smart-as-a-whip reporter to make, she still sold it.

Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor. His version was good. I don’t know much about the comics of the time, so I can’t say how faithful he was. But in terms of being a good villain, for sure. And he was a bad guy here, an actual criminal and not the revered-but-shady businessman he would later become in the comics world.

The overall story: hey, it’s simple, but so were most movies back then. At the same time, the superhero movies of today—as good as they are—could learn a lot from Superman and sometimes keeping things simple instead of just non-stop explosions and action is the better way to go. So much more room for character development and interaction.

This review wouldn’t be complete without mentioning John Williams’s iconic score. The “Theme from Superman” is right up there with Beethoven’s Sixth. You play the tune anywhere and people recognize it. It’s iconic, inspiring, heroic and like one of the folks who worked on the movie said—I think it was Richard Donner himself—you can actually hear the song say the word, “Superman.”

Watch this movie. Just watch it.

You’ll believe a man can fly.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a Great Movie & Bluray Looks Best, March 11 2014
From the Musician's Pen (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I bought this on Amazon for about $12. You really have to search for it because there are many versions and the prices vary a lot.

Made in 1978, this was the first serious attempt at making a film based on a comic superhero, and it's still one of the best. Making Superman "fly" was very difficult to do back then and may not look as good as today's HD films and effects but, on a whole, this is the best Superman film to date. This film is for the whole family, so it's lighter and has comic elements. The newer films are darker and more serious and take more liberties. Maybe I'm biased, having grown up in that era, but Christopher Reeves makes a great Superman.

This film has been released many times, so which is the best? That depends on what you want. You can get this film packaged with Superman 2, or you can get the whole Reeves films collection; you might still find the original 1978 version on DVD, or you can get the 2000 expanded version on DVD and Bluray. You can get lots of special features or very few.

I owned the original DVD of this film, the 1978 version, and I later got the 4-DVD set, with the remastered 1978 version plus the remastered 2000 expanded version by original director Richard Donner plus LOTS of bonus features (documentaries, TV specials, 1951 George Reeves film, remastered 1940's Fleischer Studios cartoons). That one looked better than the original DVD.

Now I own this Bluray, and it looks the best so far. However, I should say that there are inconsistencies in the film quality - some parts look grainier (or whiter and hazier, to be more exact) and other parts look cleaner and clearer - but that's just the way the it was originally filmed. As far as I can tell, the Bluray sound is also the same as on the remastered DVD, which is good.

This Bluray contains the 2000 expanded version by Richard Donner. It also contains a number of special features, including 2 documentaries. The reason I deducted 1 star from my rating is that the "perfect" version would be the 4-disc set (that I described above) all remastered and put to Bluray. For a single disc, this is great. However, I wish I had the option of watching the 1978 original theatrical release as well as the 2000 expanded version.

Enjoy!

FYI - When director Richard Donner made this film, he shot most of the footage for Superman 2 at the same time. Although Superman 1 was a huge success, the studio fired Donner just before completing the second film and Richard Lester was called in to finish and re-edit it. At the time, Superman 2 was hailed as being a great sequel (and can be found on DVD) but recently the original Donner version was released on DVD and Bluray and people are mixed on which version is better. IMO - back when it originally came out, I remember thinking the second film was even better than the first and I later bought the DVD. However, since then I have a hard time watching the second film. For me, it has not aged well, while the first remains a "classic".

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll believe a man can fly!, Oct. 9 2007
Joseph Kayne (Victoria, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
This movie was simply made for High Definition. The blue, cloud speckled sky through which Superman soars, the delicate wind swept grain fields of Clark Kent's youth. Even the seedy underbelly that is Metropolis, come to life in spectacular fashion in this welcome HD transfer.

The movie was groundbreaking in it's day, and set the bar for all superhero movies to come. It MUST be seen in high definition to truly appreciate the accomplishment that this movie was, and remains to this day.

The special features on this disc are a little too light for my tastes. Although the documentaries that are included are informative, and the commentary entertaining, I felt myself wanting just a little bit more. The addition of a zoom feature did spruce up my mood as I used it quite a bit to examine even the tiniest of details in the corners of the picture. The details hidden in every frame are incredible. A tribute to the film-makers.

Some criticize the sappy ending of this movie, but not me. Made in 1978, the film has an innocence that cannot be argued with. Watching this movie, you'll come away feeling like you too can soar above the clouds. And who doesn't love that?

4.0 out of 5 stars Born on Krypton, raised by the Kents on Earth, Becomes Hero, July 15 2004
Tyler Reece (burnsville, mn United States) - See all my reviews
The Man of Steel flys into the spectactular motion picture, Based The DC Comic and also appearing in Action Comics, Christopher Reeve stars as Clark Kent.Reporter in Metropolis,Illnois for the newspaper the Daily Planet,And trouble emerges Clark Kent flys to the rescue as Superman, a blue suited red caped powerful wonder. He takes on Lex Luthor played Gene Hackman and falls for Lois Lane played Margot Kidder and Marlon Brand as the Krytonian father of Superman Jor EL. This Film is a Great Superhero movie and great film all around, probably the most imaginative thing the Man of Steel has been in. Superman began as the comic, then a radio show, several 1950s B movies, TV show and in 1978 the true Superman ovie. Superman is imaginative in everthing because hes an imaginative character. A pop culture icon on screen and in everthing else. the Special Effects are incredible, This a Super high flying ride. You Want a good superhero movie before Batman and Spider-Man this is it. If it wasn't for this classic we would'nt have superhero movies like Spider-Man 1&2,Batman,Hulk and X-Men 1&2. Thank Hollywood for making a great superhero film that lauched other superhero films. A thrilling Film of one of the greatest heroes of the 20th century, The Man of Steel, SUPERMAN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best movie of its type EVER made!, July 10 2004
Katy Lake (The People's Republic of New Jersey) - See all my reviews
More than a quarter of a century since it first played, absolutely NO movie in this genre compares to Superman!
This DVD version is just icing on the cake.
For exquisitely lush cinematography, to an incomparable score, to special effects that sturdily hold up 26 years later, one of the original slogans of this movie holds true to this day: "You will believe a man can FLY!"
You don't have to be a Superman junkie to adore this movie (although I guarantee you'll become one if you watch the restored DVD version.) Richard Donner's loving and respectful take on Superman is absolutely incomparable from the first scenes - showing a child turning the pages of an Action comic (the first venue of Superman), filmed in black and white.
Superman's humble beginnings on the pages of a Depression-era comic book, to this amazing movie, is just perfection the way Donner films it.
The early days as Superman grows up are a golden tribute to the American heartland (make no mistake about it; Donner's vision of Superman isn't just about a comicbook hero, but where and how that hero fits into the American vision of this country.)
I fell in love with Glenn Ford all over again as Pa Kent (and yes, the great, handsome actor is still alive and kicking!) Marlon Brando as Jor-El, Superman's Kryptonian birth father, is worth every penny of the more than $3 million he was paid for two weeks' work (you gotta love the SERIOUSNESS with which Brando portrays Jor-El; it just enhances the Superman mythology.)
The original Daily News building in Manhattan plays home to the Daily Planet. Lots of shots of 1978 New York in this flick, including the World Trade Center merrily blinking in the background as Superman takes Lois Lane for a nighttime spin through the Manhattan skyline.
Margot Kidder is phenomenal as Lois, transformed here as a go-getter reporter who can't spell for beans but who loves a good tabloid story full of murder and mayhem. Jackie Cooper does a great turn as Perry White, urging his reporters to nab an inteview with the Man of Steel as the greatest thing "since God talked to Moses."
Next to Glenn Ford, I have to say that Gene Hackman's portrayal of Lex Luther - the self-described "greatest criminal mind of our time!" - is just amazingly funny. Ned Beatty as the doofy Otis, following around "Mister Lootor," is a superb second banana. Valerie Perrine does one of her best jobs as Hackman's moll, Miss Tessmocker.
Then we come to Chris Reeve. All I can say is that most actors would give their eyeteeth and right arm to be able to have a role like this in their resume. Reeve is simply superb - he was BORN to be Superman. He approaches the role with seriousness and a bit of wry humor. It's safe to say that this is HIS role; no other actor will ever come close to approaching the job he does.
I can't watch this movie without being a kid again, seeing it in a theatre with my parents, screaming and applauding and cheering, and being absolutely blown away by the entire way it was done.
Add this DVD to your collection. If you're like me, you will want to introduce your own kids to the movie that truly made you believe "a man can fly."
Twenty-six years later, he still does, and not one iota of the film's original magnificence has dimmed.
Thank you, everyone involved in the 1978 version of Superman! It's as amazing now as it was when it was releassed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superman is a super movie!, June 17 2004
By A Customer
I saw this movie way back in 1978 in the theatres. I remember feeling a little foolish then asking my girlfriend who became my fiance who in turn became my wife to go to the movies on a Friday evening and trying to explain to her that we, as young adults were going to see Superman!
That is untill I got into the theatre and saw other people our age and even older, college students, people in their late 20's, 30's and even 40's and they weren't there with their children, they were there with their spouses, significant other, friends and so on.
From the start of the movie when you hear a child reading and then a black and white video showing the the Daily Planet circa 1930's to shooting to the planet Krypton, imprisoning the three villians, the destruction of the planet Krypton to Jonathan and Martha Kent discovering the baby superman in that rocket and on and on, this was a great movie in the theatres. In fact I liked it so much that I bought the vhs and now the dvd as well.
The special effects were astounding! Cinema graphics incredible. Music was out of this world.
(...)Gene Hackman makes for a great villian playing Lex Luther and Ned Beatty plays a great, bumbling gopher to the savvy Luther. Playbunny of the year and Playboy centerfold, Valerie Perrine was also a nice touch as Luther's special lady.
Superman is a combination of fun, comedy, and superfeats. I've watched this movie many times and never tire of it.

NEW Superman-the Movie (DVD)
CDN$ 26.99 CDN$ 7.72