5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy Customer...
Published on April 1 2010 by Jace Wagner

2.0 out of 5 stars Definately a kid's movie, and the special effects pull it.
Published on Sept. 19 2002 by Timstuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy Customer..., April 1 2010
To be honest, I have had every rendition of this movie available to me for home viewing, so this was to not put too much of a fine point on it, not really a necessary purchase. Nevertheless, It was my birthday and I was kinda feeling a bit down, so I went to the store and searched the Blu-ray section for some movies I might have missed. Then, what should my wondering eyes behold? SUPERMAN THE MOVIE on Blu-ray DVD! I thought, what the heck! Now the price was fairly decent, and there was a few extras on the disc. I watched that night after work, and found that the movie seemed kinda different with the added clarity and better sound, it was like a whole new movie. Now I know this movie pretty much backwards and forwards, but when a new format makes a old movie seem like new, that kind of purchase makes you sad day a bit happier. I recommend this movie for Superman fans and people like classic movies. Nuff said.

2.0 out of 5 stars Definately a kid's movie, and the special effects pull it., Sept. 19 2002
I understand that many people who like this movie regard it as a classic, and they grew up on it. Heck, their kids probably grew up on it too. However for me it was quite different. I first saw this movie when I was about 8 I belive, and it didn't manage to keep my interest, and I fell asleep. I didn't remember any of it, until I decided to rent it a month or two ago on DVD. I had low expectations due to my boring memories of it and the fact that it was made in 1978. My low expectations were justified. This movie doesn't stand up to modern comic book flicks like Spider-Man and X-Men. Christopher Reeve plays Superman, who, unfortunately, is wearing tights, wich are, to put it delicately, tight. Perhaps too tight in some spots. Margot Kidder plays Lois Lane, howerver her performance comes across as "flakey". One might go as far as to use the word "dingbat". Gane Hackman play Supeman's arch nemesis, Lex Luthor. Unfortunately, I found his character to be the worst of all (second to Ned Beatty's "Otis"). It is impossible to take him seriousely. He does not come across as dangerouse, powerful, or even threataning. Hackman more or less plays him like a big joke. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the animated Superman cartoon from the 90's and the new show "Smallville" on The WB, but Hackman's Lex just doesn't work for me. Casting issues aside, the movie has a rather weak story. Basically it's written to accomidate as many special effects as possible. Rather than the special effects working for the story, the story works for the special effects. The story is very simple, obviousely geared towards kids, and when Superman uses his powers, it's almost always just to show off the special effect. The special effects were very good for '78, however that doesn't excuse how they used them for no other purpose than to "wow" the audience. Also, if this movie takes place in Metropolis, why do we constantly see new york landmarks? It's not accidental either. They intentionally flaunt images of the Statue of Liberty and the now fallen Twin Towers in our faces. Obviousely the director couldn't make up his mind where the movie takes place. In the end, you have a movie for young children, with production values up the wazoo (things like the Kryptonian counsil at the start and the earthquake climax were well done, but unfortuately wasted by the rest of the film), with a half baked story. If you can call it baked at all. This movie ranks in fourth place in the superhero flicks I've seen.
1. X-men, an excellent re-envisioning of the comic.
2. Spider-Man, however I actually would have it tied with X-Men.
3. Batman, wich I place in third, however I think it had bad casting (Micheal Keaton?) and low production values.
4. Superman, wich places fourth, right below Batman. A kid's film with high production values and no story.
I seriousely hope that Superman's new film will turn out better than his '78 attempt. Superman was never my favorite superhero, but I think that since he launched the genre, he at least deserves a film that ranks up there with Brian Synger's X-Men and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man.

2.0 out of 5 stars Far from the best in the series, June 25 2001
Okay-- let's face it, "Superman" is not the best, and certainly not the most consistent, franchise in movie history. The second film in the series, "Superman II", is a classic comic book movie-- superior in every way, shape, and form to the original. How rare is that??
This first Superduperman is too LONG!! It is also very short on STORY. All the stuff on Krypton with Superman's parents, the baby Superman's voyage to Earth, the teenage Superman-- all this stuff could have been told so much quicker. The early scenes with Clark Kent and Margot Kidder at the Daily Planet are cute, but beyond that, there isn't much going on in this movie. Lex Luthor wants to blow up the California coast, Superduperman has to stop it. And the ending?? Well, I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't seen it, but suffice it to say that I don't believe anyone can literally turn back the clock.
As for the DVD, yes its a lavish package (the screen tests are particularly fun). But there are better movies that deserve this deluxe treatment far more. Richard Donner is a good director, but I bet he's had bowel movements more interesting than this overall bland film. Rent part II and save yourself the gas pains.

5.0 out of 5 stars technically and artistically brilliant (plus loads of great extras), Sept. 18 2007
falcon "disdressed12" (canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
considering this movie was made in the late 1970's,it is a remarkable
achievement.technically,it is nearly flawless,in my opinion.i guess
there are few tiny details you could pick apart if you wanted to,but
overall,it's a brilliant piece of work.as for the movie itself,i
thought the story was superb,with a lot of depth to it.the movie was
well acted and believable.Having Marlon Brandon and Gene Hackman was a
stroke of luck,as well as genius.and hiring a then unknown Christopher
Reeve in the title role was equally genius.having an unknown keeps the
focus on the character and the story,not the actor.a famous actor in
the role would not have been believable.Margot Kidder was also good as
Lois Lane.the rest of the supporting cast was also great.this movie is
a true epic,which still has an impact today.the special effects were
cutting edge at the time.i think the movie as a whole has more than
stood the test of time.an easy 5/5 in my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was great in it's time,but now is just a curiosity., May 15 2001
J. lopez "Joe Vector" (Buffaloro) - See all my reviews
I realize that what i'm about to say is going to be considered sacreligious to all you S-Man fans,but DVD does nothing to hide the fact that "Superman the Movie",and the rest of the series have not aged well.I loved them when i was young,but now,even with the enhanced sound,and fairly decent DVD transfer,there is nothing appealing about the man in tights.I tried to enjoy it with the same youthful wonderment i did as a child,but i soon realized there's times when you can't go back.I did'nt even finish watching it,that's how boring and outdated everything felt.If you are a fan,you probably pre-ordered the original,or the collection the day it was announced,but i would caution the undecided to maybe rent them first,to see if the magic is still there.You'll be glad you did.

2.0 out of 5 stars Illogical plot spoils Superman The Movie., March 30 2001
By A Customer
I remember going to see this movie in 1978.You could feel the anticipation and excitement in the audience just before the first flying scene.You can believe a man can fly,but can you believe the illogical plot?Lex Luther(Gene Hackman)is going to create new beachfront property by separating California from the rest of the USA with nuclear weapons and Superman reverses time by reversing the rotation of the Earth(come again??).This movie has superb production values and good performances,but is let down by a ridiculous and campy plot and villian.If it had stuck to a serious plot,like Star Wars,it would have done much better.An over-rated film.

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll believe a man can fly!, Oct. 9 2007
Joseph Kayne (Victoria, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
This movie was simply made for High Definition. The blue, cloud speckled sky through which Superman soars, the delicate wind swept grain fields of Clark Kent's youth. Even the seedy underbelly that is Metropolis, come to life in spectacular fashion in this welcome HD transfer.

The movie was groundbreaking in it's day, and set the bar for all superhero movies to come. It MUST be seen in high definition to truly appreciate the accomplishment that this movie was, and remains to this day.

The special features on this disc are a little too light for my tastes. Although the documentaries that are included are informative, and the commentary entertaining, I felt myself wanting just a little bit more. The addition of a zoom feature did spruce up my mood as I used it quite a bit to examine even the tiniest of details in the corners of the picture. The details hidden in every frame are incredible. A tribute to the film-makers.

Some criticize the sappy ending of this movie, but not me. Made in 1978, the film has an innocence that cannot be argued with. Watching this movie, you'll come away feeling like you too can soar above the clouds. And who doesn't love that?

4.0 out of 5 stars Born on Krypton, raised by the Kents on Earth, Becomes Hero, July 15 2004
Tyler Reece (burnsville, mn United States) - See all my reviews
The Man of Steel flys into the spectactular motion picture, Based The DC Comic and also appearing in Action Comics, Christopher Reeve stars as Clark Kent.Reporter in Metropolis,Illnois for the newspaper the Daily Planet,And trouble emerges Clark Kent flys to the rescue as Superman, a blue suited red caped powerful wonder. He takes on Lex Luthor played Gene Hackman and falls for Lois Lane played Margot Kidder and Marlon Brand as the Krytonian father of Superman Jor EL. This Film is a Great Superhero movie and great film all around, probably the most imaginative thing the Man of Steel has been in. Superman began as the comic, then a radio show, several 1950s B movies, TV show and in 1978 the true Superman ovie. Superman is imaginative in everthing because hes an imaginative character. A pop culture icon on screen and in everthing else. the Special Effects are incredible, This a Super high flying ride. You Want a good superhero movie before Batman and Spider-Man this is it. If it wasn't for this classic we would'nt have superhero movies like Spider-Man 1&2,Batman,Hulk and X-Men 1&2. Thank Hollywood for making a great superhero film that lauched other superhero films. A thrilling Film of one of the greatest heroes of the 20th century, The Man of Steel, SUPERMAN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best movie of its type EVER made!, July 10 2004
Katy Lake (The People's Republic of New Jersey) - See all my reviews
More than a quarter of a century since it first played, absolutely NO movie in this genre compares to Superman!
This DVD version is just icing on the cake.
For exquisitely lush cinematography, to an incomparable score, to special effects that sturdily hold up 26 years later, one of the original slogans of this movie holds true to this day: "You will believe a man can FLY!"
You don't have to be a Superman junkie to adore this movie (although I guarantee you'll become one if you watch the restored DVD version.) Richard Donner's loving and respectful take on Superman is absolutely incomparable from the first scenes - showing a child turning the pages of an Action comic (the first venue of Superman), filmed in black and white.
Superman's humble beginnings on the pages of a Depression-era comic book, to this amazing movie, is just perfection the way Donner films it.
The early days as Superman grows up are a golden tribute to the American heartland (make no mistake about it; Donner's vision of Superman isn't just about a comicbook hero, but where and how that hero fits into the American vision of this country.)
I fell in love with Glenn Ford all over again as Pa Kent (and yes, the great, handsome actor is still alive and kicking!) Marlon Brando as Jor-El, Superman's Kryptonian birth father, is worth every penny of the more than $3 million he was paid for two weeks' work (you gotta love the SERIOUSNESS with which Brando portrays Jor-El; it just enhances the Superman mythology.)
The original Daily News building in Manhattan plays home to the Daily Planet. Lots of shots of 1978 New York in this flick, including the World Trade Center merrily blinking in the background as Superman takes Lois Lane for a nighttime spin through the Manhattan skyline.
Margot Kidder is phenomenal as Lois, transformed here as a go-getter reporter who can't spell for beans but who loves a good tabloid story full of murder and mayhem. Jackie Cooper does a great turn as Perry White, urging his reporters to nab an inteview with the Man of Steel as the greatest thing "since God talked to Moses."
Next to Glenn Ford, I have to say that Gene Hackman's portrayal of Lex Luther - the self-described "greatest criminal mind of our time!" - is just amazingly funny. Ned Beatty as the doofy Otis, following around "Mister Lootor," is a superb second banana. Valerie Perrine does one of her best jobs as Hackman's moll, Miss Tessmocker.
Then we come to Chris Reeve. All I can say is that most actors would give their eyeteeth and right arm to be able to have a role like this in their resume. Reeve is simply superb - he was BORN to be Superman. He approaches the role with seriousness and a bit of wry humor. It's safe to say that this is HIS role; no other actor will ever come close to approaching the job he does.
I can't watch this movie without being a kid again, seeing it in a theatre with my parents, screaming and applauding and cheering, and being absolutely blown away by the entire way it was done.
Add this DVD to your collection. If you're like me, you will want to introduce your own kids to the movie that truly made you believe "a man can fly."
Twenty-six years later, he still does, and not one iota of the film's original magnificence has dimmed.
Thank you, everyone involved in the 1978 version of Superman! It's as amazing now as it was when it was releassed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superman is a super movie!, June 17 2004
By A Customer
I saw this movie way back in 1978 in the theatres. I remember feeling a little foolish then asking my girlfriend who became my fiance who in turn became my wife to go to the movies on a Friday evening and trying to explain to her that we, as young adults were going to see Superman!
That is untill I got into the theatre and saw other people our age and even older, college students, people in their late 20's, 30's and even 40's and they weren't there with their children, they were there with their spouses, significant other, friends and so on.
From the start of the movie when you hear a child reading and then a black and white video showing the the Daily Planet circa 1930's to shooting to the planet Krypton, imprisoning the three villians, the destruction of the planet Krypton to Jonathan and Martha Kent discovering the baby superman in that rocket and on and on, this was a great movie in the theatres. In fact I liked it so much that I bought the vhs and now the dvd as well.
The special effects were astounding! Cinema graphics incredible. Music was out of this world.
(...)Gene Hackman makes for a great villian playing Lex Luther and Ned Beatty plays a great, bumbling gopher to the savvy Luther. Playbunny of the year and Playboy centerfold, Valerie Perrine was also a nice touch as Luther's special lady.
Superman is a combination of fun, comedy, and superfeats. I've watched this movie many times and never tire of it.

NEW Superman-the Movie (DVD)
CDN$ 7.80