5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy Customer...
Published on April 1 2010 by Jace Wagner

1.0 out of 5 stars Movie format wrong
The movie was NOT NCTS but was PAL and my machine couldn't read it. The package cover said NCTS. I didn't try to exchange it fearing the same would happen again.
Greg Gordon
Published 3 months ago by Greg Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy Customer..., April 1 2010
To be honest, I have had every rendition of this movie available to me for home viewing, so this was to not put too much of a fine point on it, not really a necessary purchase. Nevertheless, It was my birthday and I was kinda feeling a bit down, so I went to the store and searched the Blu-ray section for some movies I might have missed. Then, what should my wondering eyes behold? SUPERMAN THE MOVIE on Blu-ray DVD! I thought, what the heck! Now the price was fairly decent, and there was a few extras on the disc. I watched that night after work, and found that the movie seemed kinda different with the added clarity and better sound, it was like a whole new movie. Now I know this movie pretty much backwards and forwards, but when a new format makes a old movie seem like new, that kind of purchase makes you sad day a bit happier. I recommend this movie for Superman fans and people like classic movies. Nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars technically and artistically brilliant (plus loads of great extras), Sept. 18 2007
considering this movie was made in the late 1970's,it is a remarkable
achievement.technically,it is nearly flawless,in my opinion.i guess
there are few tiny details you could pick apart if you wanted to,but
overall,it's a brilliant piece of work.as for the movie itself,i
thought the story was superb,with a lot of depth to it.the movie was
well acted and believable.Having Marlon Brandon and Gene Hackman was a
stroke of luck,as well as genius.and hiring a then unknown Christopher
Reeve in the title role was equally genius.having an unknown keeps the
focus on the character and the story,not the actor.a famous actor in
the role would not have been believable.Margot Kidder was also good as
Lois Lane.the rest of the supporting cast was also great.this movie is
a true epic,which still has an impact today.the special effects were
cutting edge at the time.i think the movie as a whole has more than
stood the test of time.an easy 5/5 in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a Great Movie & Bluray Looks Best, March 11 2014
From the Musician's Pen (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I bought this on Amazon for about $12. You really have to search for it because there are many versions and the prices vary a lot.

Made in 1978, this was the first serious attempt at making a film based on a comic superhero, and it's still one of the best. Making Superman "fly" was very difficult to do back then and may not look as good as today's HD films and effects but, on a whole, this is the best Superman film to date. This film is for the whole family, so it's lighter and has comic elements. The newer films are darker and more serious and take more liberties. Maybe I'm biased, having grown up in that era, but Christopher Reeves makes a great Superman.

This film has been released many times, so which is the best? That depends on what you want. You can get this film packaged with Superman 2, or you can get the whole Reeves films collection; you might still find the original 1978 version on DVD, or you can get the 2000 expanded version on DVD and Bluray. You can get lots of special features or very few.

I owned the original DVD of this film, the 1978 version, and I later got the 4-DVD set, with the remastered 1978 version plus the remastered 2000 expanded version by original director Richard Donner plus LOTS of bonus features (documentaries, TV specials, 1951 George Reeves film, remastered 1940's Fleischer Studios cartoons). That one looked better than the original DVD.

Now I own this Bluray, and it looks the best so far. However, I should say that there are inconsistencies in the film quality - some parts look grainier (or whiter and hazier, to be more exact) and other parts look cleaner and clearer - but that's just the way the it was originally filmed. As far as I can tell, the Bluray sound is also the same as on the remastered DVD, which is good.

This Bluray contains the 2000 expanded version by Richard Donner. It also contains a number of special features, including 2 documentaries. The reason I deducted 1 star from my rating is that the "perfect" version would be the 4-disc set (that I described above) all remastered and put to Bluray. For a single disc, this is great. However, I wish I had the option of watching the 1978 original theatrical release as well as the 2000 expanded version.

Enjoy!

FYI - When director Richard Donner made this film, he shot most of the footage for Superman 2 at the same time. Although Superman 1 was a huge success, the studio fired Donner just before completing the second film and Richard Lester was called in to finish and re-edit it. At the time, Superman 2 was hailed as being a great sequel (and can be found on DVD) but recently the original Donner version was released on DVD and Bluray and people are mixed on which version is better. IMO - back when it originally came out, I remember thinking the second film was even better than the first and I later bought the DVD. However, since then I have a hard time watching the second film. For me, it has not aged well, while the first remains a "classic".

1.0 out of 5 stars Movie format wrong, Jan. 1 2014
Greg Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray Superman is the way to go, Dec 7 2013
OMAR SIRHAN (Canada) - See all my reviews
I had it on vhs, on dvd and now on Blu-ray and this is by far the best version to watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Kid-friendly Superman!!, Oct. 29 2013
JM (Nelson, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
We have a 3 yr old bson who was suddenly wanting everything Superman. The local video store recommended this movie as being fairly 'benign' and suitable for little ones so we rented it, and then rented it again and again. Eventually I opted to buy it as he would've continued to want to rent it! The newer Superman movies are far too violent for a young kid. This one is sweet. Oh and our son is adopted and wouldn't you know it there is kind of an adoption storyline, Superman's birth parents have to make the decision to send him to Earth where he is adopted by a kind couple who raise him. He then later has contact with his 'Birth Dad'. Anyways if you are an adoptive parent you'll appreciate where I'm coming from....
Great movie for little ones who love Superman!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best movie of its type EVER made!, July 10 2004
Katy Lake (The People's Republic of New Jersey) - See all my reviews
More than a quarter of a century since it first played, absolutely NO movie in this genre compares to Superman!
This DVD version is just icing on the cake.
For exquisitely lush cinematography, to an incomparable score, to special effects that sturdily hold up 26 years later, one of the original slogans of this movie holds true to this day: "You will believe a man can FLY!"
You don't have to be a Superman junkie to adore this movie (although I guarantee you'll become one if you watch the restored DVD version.) Richard Donner's loving and respectful take on Superman is absolutely incomparable from the first scenes - showing a child turning the pages of an Action comic (the first venue of Superman), filmed in black and white.
Superman's humble beginnings on the pages of a Depression-era comic book, to this amazing movie, is just perfection the way Donner films it.
The early days as Superman grows up are a golden tribute to the American heartland (make no mistake about it; Donner's vision of Superman isn't just about a comicbook hero, but where and how that hero fits into the American vision of this country.)
I fell in love with Glenn Ford all over again as Pa Kent (and yes, the great, handsome actor is still alive and kicking!) Marlon Brando as Jor-El, Superman's Kryptonian birth father, is worth every penny of the more than $3 million he was paid for two weeks' work (you gotta love the SERIOUSNESS with which Brando portrays Jor-El; it just enhances the Superman mythology.)
The original Daily News building in Manhattan plays home to the Daily Planet. Lots of shots of 1978 New York in this flick, including the World Trade Center merrily blinking in the background as Superman takes Lois Lane for a nighttime spin through the Manhattan skyline.
Margot Kidder is phenomenal as Lois, transformed here as a go-getter reporter who can't spell for beans but who loves a good tabloid story full of murder and mayhem. Jackie Cooper does a great turn as Perry White, urging his reporters to nab an inteview with the Man of Steel as the greatest thing "since God talked to Moses."
Next to Glenn Ford, I have to say that Gene Hackman's portrayal of Lex Luther - the self-described "greatest criminal mind of our time!" - is just amazingly funny. Ned Beatty as the doofy Otis, following around "Mister Lootor," is a superb second banana. Valerie Perrine does one of her best jobs as Hackman's moll, Miss Tessmocker.
Then we come to Chris Reeve. All I can say is that most actors would give their eyeteeth and right arm to be able to have a role like this in their resume. Reeve is simply superb - he was BORN to be Superman. He approaches the role with seriousness and a bit of wry humor. It's safe to say that this is HIS role; no other actor will ever come close to approaching the job he does.
I can't watch this movie without being a kid again, seeing it in a theatre with my parents, screaming and applauding and cheering, and being absolutely blown away by the entire way it was done.
Add this DVD to your collection. If you're like me, you will want to introduce your own kids to the movie that truly made you believe "a man can fly."
Twenty-six years later, he still does, and not one iota of the film's original magnificence has dimmed.
Thank you, everyone involved in the 1978 version of Superman! It's as amazing now as it was when it was releassed!

5.0 out of 5 stars The money was worth it., July 3 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Superman: The Movie [Import] (DVD)
Much was made about the over 3 million dollars which was paid to Marlon Brando for him to play Jor-EL in Superman. Even if he only did two weeks of work on the projet. But it was worth it. Him playing the tough but commpassionate father of the man of steel lend so much to the movie, te new scenes between him and Chris Reeve really work. You belive they are father and son.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superman is a super movie!, June 17 2004
By A Customer
I saw this movie way back in 1978 in the theatres. I remember feeling a little foolish then asking my girlfriend who became my fiance who in turn became my wife to go to the movies on a Friday evening and trying to explain to her that we, as young adults were going to see Superman!
That is untill I got into the theatre and saw other people our age and even older, college students, people in their late 20's, 30's and even 40's and they weren't there with their children, they were there with their spouses, significant other, friends and so on.
From the start of the movie when you hear a child reading and then a black and white video showing the the Daily Planet circa 1930's to shooting to the planet Krypton, imprisoning the three villians, the destruction of the planet Krypton to Jonathan and Martha Kent discovering the baby superman in that rocket and on and on, this was a great movie in the theatres. In fact I liked it so much that I bought the vhs and now the dvd as well.
The special effects were astounding! Cinema graphics incredible. Music was out of this world.
(...)Gene Hackman makes for a great villian playing Lex Luther and Ned Beatty plays a great, bumbling gopher to the savvy Luther. Playbunny of the year and Playboy centerfold, Valerie Perrine was also a nice touch as Luther's special lady.
Superman is a combination of fun, comedy, and superfeats. I've watched this movie many times and never tire of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Powerful than a Locomotive...., June 1 2004
M. Painter (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
The 1978 film Superman (and its companion piece, Superman II, more a continuation of the first film than a sequel) is, simply, the greatest film adaptation of a comic book character ever. The film is not without flaws, but is essential viewing.
It is that for a number of reasons. First is the loving and respectful adaptation of Superman, who is now more than a comic book character. Superman is an archetype, a myth, a folk hero. He is to us Americans what Hercules was to the Greeks, or Sir Lancelot to the English. The makers of this film actually *understood* this, and worked *with* and not *against* the mythic power of the character. (It sounds simple enough, but a generation of filmmakers afterward have failed to grasp the importance of this basic concept.)
Kudos to writer Tom Mankiewicz for taking Superman seriously. Kudos to director Richard Donner, whose work on this film may occasionally clunk along rather than soar, but whose understanding of what makes Superman truly heroic never falters. Kudos to Gene Hackman, for offering us the seemingly impossible--a lovable Lex Luthor. (You'd be laughing right along with this guy, even as he dropped a nuke on your house.)
Kudos to cinematographer Geoffrey Unsworth and the special effects team. The effects hold up surprisingly well after all this time. The truth is, Superman was never a quantum leap forward in effects the way, say, Star Wars or The Abyss were. The genius of this film was, and is, to emply a variety of effects--wires, bluescreen, miniatures, animation--to depict the same scene, then quick cut from one to the other. The viewer was, and is, usually not given enough time with any one effect to figure out how it's done. The eye is fooled into accepting the vision.
There is real magic here, but it didn't come from the special effects lab. It came from the heart and soul of Christopher Reeve, who plays both Superman and Clark Kent to perfection. In the end, it is Reeve that makes the movie credible, who makes you care. Check out the scene in Lois Lane's apartment where Reeve changes from Clark Kent to Superman and back again in a matter of seconds. There're no special effect at work, just Reeve using his voice and his body. That, my young friends, is what we used to call "acting." Even in the age of CGI, It still has the power to knock you over.

ARRAY(0xaece2330)

NEW Superman-the Movie (DVD)
CDN$ 13.49