4.0 out of 5 stars Finally ... closure
Just watched this DVD yesterday, and am still trying to get the geeky grin off my face. After 26 years, I've finally now seen the film I was hoping for as a boy, way back when the brutalized Richard Lester 'Superman II' was released - a movie that left me feeling as hollow and disappointed as if I'd been stood up by a girlfriend.

I tried not to raise my...
Published on Nov. 29 2006 by DocManhattan

1.0 out of 5 stars Superman 2 : A Story of Remembering
I remember when this movie came out on video. I was so happy cause I couldn't go see it at the movies. I ran out as fast as I could to the video store and to my suprise there were several copies left. I loved the first movie. As a kid it made me laugh. It made me cry. It drove my Mom crazy...
Published on March 15 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally ... closure, Nov. 29 2006
DocManhattan (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Superman 2 - The Richard Donner Cut (DVD)

I tried not to raise my expectations too high for this restored cut, but in the end there is far more to love here than to complain about.

On the upside:

* Thank God for the return of Marlon Brando. The father-son relationship plays a crucial role here that was sorely missed in Lester's version.

* The restoration of Superman's lost powers is finally explained here, with a major sacrifice involved.

* There are no more finger beams; teleportation; giant, cellophane "S" symbols; amnesia kisses; or other random, pull-em-out-your-butt super powers that only showed how little Lester cared for his source material.

* Lois comes across as smarter and more likeable in this movie than she did in Lester's, and there's actually more chemistry here between her and S-man thanks to the revised scenes -- the romance is moving, rather than annoying. Her suspicions about Clark and how she deals with them are handled far better, plus she doesn't do that moronic elevator-climbing stunt that she did in Lester's Eiffel Tower terrorist sequence.

* There are more fun scenes featuring Lex and Miss Teschmacher - enjoy.

* The music is arranged properly and played at the right speed. And the opening credits look good.

On the downside:

* Yes, there are continuity flaws in the scenes that were originally shot as screen tests, but these are easily overlooked (Reeve's hair and his relative lack of bulk in some scenes, for instance). But the improved dramatic flow more than makes up for these.

* The time-travel trick at the end of the movie is overused, given that Donner's first film also featured this gimmick. Superman no longer has any second thoughts about messing with history, and this raises the issue that he now has the perfect solution to any problem he will ever face -- simply turn back the clock, change a couple of key events and you're sorted. Having said that, this scene works far better than Lester's ridiculous amnesia kiss. Especially if taken on its own merits, out of context of the first movie.

Overall, I finally feel like I have closure now after that almost-forgotten childhood let-down. Given my lifelong affection for the character of Superman I found the mess that was made of the movie series after Donner's excellent start painful to watch -- especially knowing that the whole farce seemed to be caused by the greed of certain persons involved in the production.

Basically, if you care enough to have read this far, you owe it to yourself to see this movie. It's a credit to all involved and a fitting tribute to Chris Reeve, who, even in the worst of times, wore the cape and the symbol like he was born to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating and perplexing, but well worth it, Dec 29 2006
This review is from: Superman 2 - The Richard Donner Cut (DVD)
The oddest thing watching this was seeing the opening credit for Geoffrey Unsworth, who died during the completion of Superman I. It took a second to recall that I was about to watch footage he'd photographed at that same time.

I've read bits of the unused Superman II before, and really liked them - Marlon Brando's big finish stands out particularly, of course. It's ridiculous how Lester's never explains Clark getting his powers back, and this is far superior.

It's a breath of fresh air: Donner believes in heroism and courage and sacrifice, and Lester doesn't - so he goes instead for cornball hokiness. Lester went for Superman's return to Metropolis with a shot of him floating outside the window with a big grin on his face - Donner goes for it with a wonderful angle of Superman from behind, arms hidden beneath his cape, perched neatly on the tip of an American flag waving in the breeze. It's gorgeous, and you just can't beat it - it's probably the best shot in the entire series, and why anyone would replace it with something cheesy is beyond me.

I'm surprised, though, how much I didn't absolutely love this movie. Not the way I loved the first one. Puzo's script isn't as well-structured, I guess. And why is there so much inane comedy? Less of Otis and bumbling hick cops and more of Zod breaking into the Fortress, and Lex being taken away by Arctic patrol (these are deleted scenes) would have made this an even stronger movie. It's confusing why these would be omitted from this new cut, while sillier bits of Valerie Perrine trying to find a bathroom are left in. Frustrating, really. Too many plotholes, but still, I like it an awful lot more than Richard Lester's, and I'd definitely recommend it to any Superman fan - it's a must-see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Innocence and heroism makes a comeback., Oct. 25 2007
Joseph Kayne (Victoria, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
Superman II was always confusing for me, as a fan of the Superman Mythos. It seemed too corny, and threw in powers that Superman just shouldn't have. The Richard Donner cut helps to clarify and restore what should have been. The story seems tighter and less cluttered. Changes in the angles from the Lester cut give more weight to the emotions involved. The restoration of the late Marlon Brando's scenes are a sigh of relief. This is a much more serious film, but still lightened up with touches of humor.

The transfer to HD is spot on. Depth, clarity, color. All the elements for a great home theater showcase are here. The sound is sublime, and as good as it gets. When Supe and Zod and his cronies are ripping up Metropolis during their benchmark battle, you'll feel like ducking to avoid debris. It places you in the action. Makes you feel like you can soar.

The special features do a good job of letting you understand how this version came to be. They are informative, and engaging. My only complaint is that there were just too few of them.

The movie can feel a bit jarring at times. Especially when Donner includes a shot he only filmed during rehearsals. Overall, however, this film does a great job of restoring the vision of Richard Donner, and repairing the reputation of Metropolis City's favorite son.

I might have preferred an even darker vision, with a more serious tone, but the innocence of this franchise is to be revered. The heroic nature of this film is preserved and enhanced. I rate it a must own, must watch experience for the whole family, and kids of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, Oct. 5 2013
This review is from: Superman II (Widescreen) (DVD)
I loved this movie. This is the original version i watched as a kid, with richard lester directing. It is filled with humour, romance, and suspense. I hated the new richard donner cut that came out a few years ago. He made a mess of it. This original version, in my opinion, is the BEST. I loved this movie since i was a kid, and for me noone but Christopher Reeve will ever be Superman.
As for the movie itself, it arrived in great condition, and within 5 business days as promised. I was very satified with this order, and I would certainly order from this seller again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Superman 2 : A Story of Remembering, March 15 2001
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Been waiting for this one, Dec 7 2013
OMAR SIRHAN (Canada) - See all my reviews
The best version of this movie on Blu-ray is the only way to see it. I almost forgot how the other version went.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-deserved classsic, Aug. 12 2013
Michael Milley "BrinLondo" (Toronto, Ont. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Superman II (Widescreen) (DVD)
Still one of the best superhero movies of all time. Classic in every sense of the word. RIP Christopher Reeve.

4.0 out of 5 stars great sequel, March 2 2013
liked this one a lot, in my opinion it was probably even better than the first one. One of the biggest reasons would probably be the villains. They are a physical match for superman so they pose more of a threat than lex luthers so called intelligence. Since supermans new villains can fly there is one really good scene of them battling it out and throwing large objects at each other and fighting while flying. The dated special effects add a cheese factor but its really fun to watch. There is also a very cool scene on the moon that felt very sci-fi like, this was a great scene i thought looked very cool. These two things were in my opinion better than anything that happened in the origonal. On the negative side though there was some pretty stupid plot elements that might be hard for some people to look passed, i personally just laughed and shrugged it off. One thing i found funny was how supermans mom tells him he can turn into a human but will never be able to regain his old powers and then he easilly gets his powers back using the green crystal, that was ridiculous, also lex luthers escape from jail in a hot air balloon was silly. Overall superman 2 is a cheesy good time i found more entertaining than the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars EVIL ZOD RULES.........!!!, Dec 5 2002
This review is from: Superman II (Widescreen) (DVD)
THIS HAS TO BE "THE" BEST INSTALMENT OF THE SUPERMAN SERIES.
ALTHOUGH THE FIRST FILM WAS GOOD, IT DOES NOT HAVE THE FUN CHARACTERS OF GENERAL ZOD, URSA AND NON AS THE KRYPTONIAN BADDIES.
I FEEL IT IS THESE CHARACTERS THAT MAKE THE MOVIE ALONG WITH THE PERFECTLY CAST MARGOT KIDDER AS LOIS LANE.
STARTING WITH LOIS BEING STUCK UP THE EIFFEL TOWER AND PLUMMETING DOWNWARDS ON A LIFT, ONLY TO BE SAVED BY THE MAN HIMSELF.........SUPERMAN IN HIS TIGHTS!!!
BUT POOR SUPERMAN AT THE SAME TIME RELEASES HIS ARCH ENEMY GENERAL ZOD FROM THE PHANTOM ZONE ONLY FOR ALL HELL TO BREAK LOOSE.
ONE OF THE SCENES THAT MAKES THE FILM IS WHEN OUR BADDIES ARE IN SPACE AND CONFRONT NASA SPACEMEN. THE FILMSET LOOKS FALSE AND CHEESY AND THEN THE OH SO POWERFUL ZOD APPEARS WITH HIS MOTLEY CREW ONLY TO CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS.
THEY RIP A SPACMEN TO SHREDS AND WATCH HIM CRUMPLE UP, SNAP THE AIR SUPPLY OF ANOTHER AS HE FLOATS INTO OUTERSPACE AND CRUSH THE SPACECRAFT OF THEIR FINAL VICTIM ALONG WITH THE SPACEMAN.
MUCH ACTION FOLLOWS, BUT IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT, YOU'LL NEED TO BUY IT!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Donner's Superman II would've been much better......, June 26 2001
This review is from: Superman II (Widescreen) (DVD)
When I first saw Superman II as a kid back in the summer of '81, I thought it was great. Superman vs the three villains from Krypton. But as a young 10 year old, I was too young to understand what made a great movie so great or what was 'good acting'. I thought this sequel was better than the original.
Fast forward to 2001 and I'm all grown up now and how I realize I was so wrong. I still get a kick out of the comic book style fighting scenes and story, but compared to the original Superman II is not as good. Now that I found out about the whole Richard Donner/Salkinds controversey, I'm even more incensed over this film. Having said that, I know that Donner's II would have been a much better movie since it would be without director Richard Lester's emphasis on campy and cheesey stuff. (By Superman III, COMPLETELY directed by Lester, we can see that the bad scenes in 'II' were all Lesters and the good stuff was Donners).
Even after all that, the DVD version just lacks in comparsion to the SE of Superman the Movie. Maybe Warners never cared for the sequels or maybe because they just didn't want to re-open a can of worms.

Superman 2 - The Richard Donner Cut
Superman 2 - The Richard Donner Cut by Christopher Reeve (DVD - 2006)
CDN$ 9.93