5.0 out of 5 stars Black Christmas: A Truly Underestimated Movie

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the first but not the best
Published on June 10 2004 by Amy Lynn

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Christmas: A Truly Underestimated Movie, Oct. 30 2005
This review is from: Black Christmas (DVD)
To anyone who is a fan of the horror genre from any decade, Black Christmas is a must see. Unlike other horror/suspence movies such as Seven or Jaws, both of which are engaging yet polished, Black Christmas has that rough around the edges dated appeal much like Cabin Feaver and 28 Days Later. What I enjoy most about the movie is the ambiguity of the villian, and the manner in which it's role is played out. And although Black Christmas may not be the first movie to slip between anyone's lips when this genre is either mentioned or thought of, it is on a level with John Carpender's Halloween and Ridley Scott's Alien, if not in cinematic profit, then certainly in it's respect for the genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll never think of Christmas the same way again..., June 14 2004
This review is from: Black Christmas (DVD)
Bob Clark (III) who also directed the lighthearted family friendly, "A Christmas Story" takes us into the more darker, nightmarish setting of the familiar holiday season. This 1974 Canadian masterpiece in cinema history wasn't known as well around its time until today, where the more controversial slasher flicks exist. Setting the atmosphere with John Carpenter's "Halloween" franchise, "Black Christmas" stars Margot Kidder in one of her first roles, though in this she later finds herself as one of the killer's victims (in a very gruesome way indeed. Gore hounds rejoice!) But she is only one amoung the many other victims who fall prey to a psychotic monster living upstairs in a Sorority home attic that murders them in some of the most clever ways ever filmed in a horror movie. Meanwhile, the girls are getting scary phone calls, while the townsfolk discover the corpse of a young girl who was murdered in the park. Could this all have a connection with the beast? Or could it be something much more terrifying from out of the ordinary? All that is certain is that Christmas time is coming, and if something is not done, nobody will be left to celebrate.
This SPECIAL EDITION version of the DVD includes all theatrical trailers (Both English & French), and T.V./radio spots along with a behind the scenes BONUS feature to how the film came to be and the actors/actresses who helped bring the low-budget nightmare to life. The plot can be a little confusing and hard to follow at times, therefore giving the viewer the hint that this is one of those rare films that make you THINK, meaning that you may have to watch it more than once to understand! While not the best horror film, I believe that this helped spawn many other clones such as "Halloween" (as explained earlier) and "Scream". Not to worry though, for this carries enough of the suspense and thrills to scare the living daylights out of you! This is recommended viewing for a date-type movie or watching alone at night in the dark--IF YOU DARE!
If you're a diehard fan of the good ol' low-budget horror cult classics such as myself, this is the one to add in your collection! Whether you love it or hate it, it STILL packs enough punch for the hardcore of average horror film fanatic! There isn't as much blood to be found in this, and instead the film relies more on the originality and suspense in order to keep the viewer at the edge of his/her seat! Don't miss this very rare and hard to find classic, and remember:
"If this film doesn't make your skin crawl, it's on too tight!" >:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Jingle Hell, Jingle Hell, March 24 2004
Glynn (Temple, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Christmas (DVD)
The first time I saw this movie was in the 80's. I had already been subjected to Freddy, Jason and Michael, and this scared me more than the three of them combined. Don't get me wrong, Nightmare, Friday and Halloween were, and still are, very scary movies. I went into it expecting the worst and came out of it wanting to go back to a time before I had witnessed it. It scared me soooo bad that I had to sleep with the lights on for weeks afterwards. Every time the phone rang I sank inside from fear.
Now I am older, wiser and more mature......... I am no longer a teen as I was when I watched this the first time. I have been subjected to things much worse and more horrifying over the past 20 years........... or so I thought......
I thought that the padding of time and the advancements of movies and cinema would cushion me.....
I was wrong.
I watched this movie again with some friends who had not seen it, yet alone even heard of it.
I watched in horror as every feeling came rushing back. I watched in amusement as my friends lost every ounce of cool. I watched in sheer delight as I witnessed, once again, one of the most terrifying movies ever made tear me and my friends to shreds of useless nothing. Even with all the camp that is now visible in the movie, it does not let loose of its horrifying grip.
The premise is that there is a killer loose. It appears that he has chosen the attic of the sorrority house to hold up in. He uses the phone to do some of his or her terrorizing. One by one the sorrority sisters and housemother are picked off. And one by one the list of suspects grows until the climax at the end when everything is solved... or is it?
I could go on about the plot, but others have already done so.
If you watch this with the knowledge that this is one of the originals, not a knock off, then you will have more appreciation for it.
Sure, the acting is questionable, as is the directing, camera work and editing.
But, this is the real deal.. this is what other movies have molded themselves after. This is the movie that deserves all the credit that others get.
Watch this and see if you feel the same way about unicorns that you did before you saw it.
And I dare you to sleep with the lights out afterwards......

5.0 out of 5 stars What your mother and I must know..., Sept. 5 2003
Deckard (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Christmas (DVD)
Black Christmas is without a doubt the greatest horror film you've probably never seen. I hadn't heard anything about it myself until I noticed it cropping up on a lot of people's favourite horror film lists, so decided it was about time I saw what all the fuss was about. The film centres around a Sorority house in the Christmas holiday season, where the girls begin receiving a series of disturbing phone calls from an unknown source. It soon becomes apparent that a faceless killer is stalking them, a killer who has snuck in through an open window and is inhabiting their attic... Pre-dating all of the classic horror films of the late 70s and 80s, Black Christmas is a stark, stylish and creepy film that boasts some chilling moments and some great performances. The genius of the film lies in it's ability to evoke an intense atmosphere of forboding which leaves you constantly unsettled and totally immersed which it does without the need for special effects, gore, or cheap scares. The direction, framing, POV shots, and lighting all work toegther seemlessly to provide moments that really leave you cold (especially the eye through the crack of the door). The script deserves a mention too, because it really is superb. There are some great characters, some good threads of drama and even comedy, but these are brilliantly and appropriately contained within their scenes without detracting from the menacing atmosphere and overall theme of the film. The phone calls are one of the high points, containing shades of Reagan's multi-voice outbursts in the Exorcist but with overtones of despair and confusion which give an insight into the psychological state of the deranged killer. All in all, if you are a fan of horror, and looking for something more than the slick disposable dime a dozen slasher films of recent years, you simply have to own this little gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Awesome, April 30 2014
This review is from: Black Christmas (Special Edition) [Import] (DVD)
I so love this movie, could not find it anywhere so I came to Amazon and here it was. I remember when I was a teenager this movie kept me up, slept with my light on LOL. Best Movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite films of all time!, April 4 2014
This film never gets old for me, even if some view it as dated. Black Christmas is a spooky gem from 1974, which scared me as a kid and still creeps me out now. Very pleased to see it has been cleaned up, restored and now available on bluray. This is a solid film, with solid performances - the classic drunks Mrs. Mac and Barb - both steal the show. Great shots all in and around Toronto, and a nifty little tale. That spooky wind that kicks up about a quarter of the way in and continues for the rest of the movie. Wish more movies nowadays were made to the standard of this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!, Jan. 21 2014
This review is from: Black Christmas (Special Edition) [Import] (DVD)
I watched this the first time when I was 10 years old and watch it everytime it's on. It still creeps me out today - 30 years later. This is my all-time favourite horror and I still think about the lady in the rocking chair in the attic when I'm home alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Horror at its best, April 14 2013
Halloween is great, but Black Christmas is it's prettier sister tat no one ever acknowledges. The first phone call scene is better than anything we've seen in horror film in quite some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The orginal phone call slasher., June 28 2004
This review is from: Black Christmas (DVD)
It was the night before Christmas and all through the house a creature was sturring, sound scary wait till you see the movie, creepy phone calls, a dark emety house and one crazy psycho set the stage for maby the scarest film I've ever sean, the movie was veary orginal and inavative, it holds it's own agenst any horror film.
If this movie doesn't make your skin crawl, it's on too tight!

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the first but not the best, June 10 2004
Amy Lynn (Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Christmas (DVD)
This movie is said to be one of the first slasher flicks so im giving it 3 stars, but the same year texas chainsaw massacre was released and it is 1000 times better than this film. I just got down watching this obscure little film and i give it merit for contributing to the horror genre and starting it off but as far as this being good or scary i disagree. Alot on this site are saying its the best horror film and the scariest. Its not. They are saying dont watch it with the lights off- the calls made by the killer were freaky but they wernt scary to me. The story revolves around a sorority house and a killer hiding in the house killing each girl off one by one , he is making obsene and crazy phone calls from the upstairs attic without the girls knowing hes in the house. The killings didnt scare me or surpise me. There was little gore and the killers face is never shown , only his eye so we dont know who the killer is, even at the end. We are led to beleive its the boyfriend at first but at the end it is obvious it isnt. John Saxon (nightmare on elm street) plays the detective trying to trace the calls and investigate and find out who the killer is. The end of the film the cops dont even search the attic and the killer is still there. Never even get to know who did it. The only half likeable characters in the film are the detective and olivia hussey. She sounds foreign and the voice can get annoying. But other than that this is a so so film, maybe it was good for its time but texas chainsaw massacre and psycho outdo this. Ive seen better. For horror film buffs i say maybe you should buy it just to have in collection as one of the earlier horror films but i cant say i would recomend this.

Black Christmas (Special Edition) [Import]