Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$0.67+ $3.49 shipping

on December 3, 2006
If the rest of this CD is anything like the 3 preview songs WOW. Runaround is an uptempo 'stay in your head' song. Dream Myself

Awake is a midtempo song with great lyrics. The Right Place is soul at its best.Written by Bryan Adams for Ray Charles , who passed away before he could record it and they passed it to Taylor. Ray would be proud of the outcome. I haven't heard Taylor's rendition of Gonna Move( only in a bar setting video) I can only imagine this great song done to perfection. Taylor's originals The Deal and Soul Thing are fantastic songs. I bet with the brass and drums in this band they will blow you away. Do yourself a favour DON"T miss this one!!!
on December 20, 2006
I can honestly say that, after several listens, there's not a single song on Taylor's cd that I dislike. The band is excellent throughout, and Taylor's vocals are consistently superb, even on the one or two tracks that have slightly formulaic lyrics.

'The Runaround' is pure whomp and joy - a real 'barn burner', especially when Taylor performs it live. 'Dream Myself Awake', although lyrically perhaps a bit mundane, has a good melody and hooks that make it very radio-friendly and a potential pop hit.

Apart from the songs written by Taylor, which I love, I think 'The Right Place' is my favourite, belonging right up there with the greatest soul ballads of all time - a classy 'classic' (written by Canada's own Bryan Adams and Jim Vallance). I also love his interpretation of 'Wherever I Lay My Hat' - for me, it conveyed more of the true feeling of the song than did Paul Young's earlier version (which was also very good). Apart from being a great vocalist, Taylor has a true gift for interpreting lyics in a way that connects with the listener.

I'd say my least favourite song on the cd is 'The Maze', but it has grown on me somewhat with repeated listenings.

One of the most significant things about this album is that the few Taylor compositions featured stand up well both lyrically and musically against some very seasoned songwriters. This bodes well for him having more of his own material on his next cd.

The production finds a good balance, never overdone or overpowering Taylor's fine vocals. The excessive 'bells and whistles' often found on Idol albums are not an issue with this album, thank goodness.

All in all, I have nothing negative to say about this cd. For an Idol debut album, produced 'start to finish' in about 6 weeks, it's a cohesive cd of exceptional quality, with something to please everyone. Well Done, Taylor!
on February 10, 2007
Taylor Hicks puts a lot of energy into his performance but as far as this c d it is forgetable...The material is weak and because his "act" is based on visual,soulful,energy it does not come across on this release.Hopefully with this studio offering giving him more experience the next c d will stand up with the talent he has to offer...