4.0 out of 5 stars Single disc is better.
I don't recommend buying this particular 2 disc edition. The second disc is full of interviews of people who made the movie, not the stars or behind the scenes footage. Very disappointed.
Published 5 months ago by Linda

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOVIE But A New Lackluster Edition
Published on May 16 2004 by Kathie Klein

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOVIE But A New Lackluster Edition, May 16 2004
Kathie Klein (Plano, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I have always LOVED this movie, spactacular for all the reasons everyone else enjoys it. But this DVD edition has odd menu music that I found distracting. The interviews, though updated from the collector's editon (which was better), were long-winded and unfocused. I found myself wondering when they were going to finish their point. There is a tribute to the director Emile Ardolino who died from AIDS in 1993. It was a nice idea with some good photos of him. But again the interviews were a little long. It seemed like they needed to do a bit more editing. They have also changed the original chapter selection scene titles for each scene. I thought that was unnecessary because the collector's edition version was just fine. Also, perhaps the most obvious missing piece was a missing interview with Patrick Swayze among all the updated interviews. I was disappointed with that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Single disc is better., March 11 2014
This review is from: Dirty Dancing (2-Disc Ultimate Edition) (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars as wonderful as I remembered, Jan. 1 2007
Shemogue (New Brunswick) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dirty Dancing (Widescreen) (DVD)
I bought this DVD & watched it again last night - more than a decade after I had packed away my old video. It is just as wonderful as I remembered and certainly remains one of my all-time favourite films. At the risk of sounding repetitious after the 216 other reviewers I will explain why.

Dirty Dancing is set in a summer resort in the Catskills in 1963, a gentler, simpler time when the world (or at least the North American middle class part of it) was innocent and naïve & hovered on the cusp of vast social change. It was before the Kennedy assassination & the morass of Viet Nam, before student riots and feminism and The Pill, before the Beatles, and just as Motown music was hitting our consiousness.
In 1963 swear words did not appear in print, let alone on TV. Movies and books told a story with a "moral". The good guys always won & the bad guys got their just desserts. Pregnancy out of wedlock was the greatest disaster that could befall a young girl, usually solved by her family sending her "to visit an aunt" out of state for a year, putting the baby up for adoption & drawing a veil of silence over the episode. (This actually happened to a school acquaintance of mine in 1963: everyone knew, but it was never, I repeat, NEVER, spoken of again).

The film has a particular resonance for our generation who came of age at that time. The heroine was 17 years old in 1963, exactly my age then. I worked at a summer resort & knew someone just like Johnny Castle, played by Patrick Swayze in the film. I think most women have a Johnny Castle one summer in our youth.
In 1987 it was mothers who dragged their protesting daughters to see the movie. It has spawned a host of imitators & remakes, the best of which is probably the Australian-made "Strictly Ballroom". There is also a recent remake "Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights", set in Cuba which has a following among a new young generation although I have not seen it. Now, a new DVD of Dirty Dancing is being issued for the children & grandchildren of the original fans.
Dirty Dancing bears its age well. It is well worth seeing again, besides hearing that wonderful music that threads through the film: Cry to Me, Will You Love Me Tomorrow, In the Still of the Night, Soul Man, Hungry Eyes and the finale piece "I've Had the Time of My Life" sung by one half of the Righteous Brothers duo, the golden-voiced Bill Medley.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Time of ANYONE'S Life!, June 17 2004
As other reviewers have said, this movie is timeless. It was made when I was about 5 years old but when I first saw it at the age of 16 I fell in love! And no, not over Patrick Swayze's six pack and pecks (although they are added bonuses!) but over the heart and humanity of the story. The story takes place in the summer of 1963 "Before President Kennedy was shot, before the Beatles came" as Baby, the heroine, says. She and her Mom, Dad and sister are on their way to a family vacation spot. Baby is sort of a wallflower, she has her own ideas and ambitions but no spark to her life. Then, she sees Johnny Castle, a tall, rebellious dance instructor. When Penny, Johnny's dance partner, finds out she's pregnant and decides to get an illegal abortion, Baby becomes involved in the struggles of the teens and twenty-somethings barely making a living among the "elite".
Baby then makes a deal to learn how to dance so that both Johnny and Penny can keep their jobs. I love these scenes when she and Johnny are arguing over the dance steps. The scene with "Hungry Eyes" is one of my favorites! In the course of this, we see Baby's evolution from dowdy clothing to great clothes and makeup! And once she shows some spirit, the story really begins. Johnny learns to respect her and she sees the true person hidden behind the tough exterior.
Of course, there has to be conflict. When Penny's abortion threatens her life, Baby again saves the day by bringing her doctor father in to save her. Johnny takes the wrap for the pregnancy and at the same time, Baby makes a bold move!
Penny's pregnancy and Baby's automatic assumption that the child is Johnny's is typical of the wealthy's view of people considered "low" class. The fact that it is Robbie's, the med. student waiter, shows the truth of life. Appearances are deceiving. This movie is a lesson for anyone willing to automatically lean on stereotypes. Baby's Dad was sure Johnny was the bad guy and was all ready for Lisa (his other daughter) to marry Robbie!
If I say any more, I will give away the whole plot. But believe me, it only gets better and better! Dirty Dancing is all about having fun, giving people a chance, not falling in to stereotypes and not being afraid to fall in love! This rings true for any generation. This movie is a MUST WATCH for anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars hungry eyes, April 16 2004
By A Customer
Ok. I just watched Dirty Dancing for the first time in a decade, at the very least, after buying it on DVD. As an older and far more seasoned, horizons-broadened moviewatcher, I just have to say: I was SO not disappointed. It was all I remembered--and let me tell you, I remembered it in almost embarrassingly excruciating detail--and even a bit more.
As some reviewers have astutely (and maybe a little jadedly?) pointed out, there are quite a few elements of this story that are predictable--and yes, even cliched--now. But I think that an important point is that, if you see this movie at the age that you really SHOULD--between 12 and 15, let's say, whether that was in 1987 or right now--they are far less predictable and most likely not at all cliched. Rebellion, passion, love, and sex should be relatively new to the first-time viewer. And if they are, this movie hits like a bomb. Hell, it's a revelation.
Now, that being said, I got things out of this most recent viewing--at a salty old age 27--that I never did at 12 to 15. For one thing, the importance of the era in which the film takes place had little or no relevance for me at the time. Class conflict, as such, was pretty foreign, and while I recognized it in a naive way back then, it has more relevance now. The number of levels on which this movie is a coming-of-age story--feminism, the freedom riders, the sexual revolution, the Camelot years when they had yet to come to an end, the idealism that usually can't help but get squashed down a bit by what adults superciliously referred to as the "real world"--these concepts were fuzzy or nonexistent for me the first time I was introduced to the former hotness known as Patrick Swayze.
And speaking of which--I think this movie has one of THE best sex scenes in history--for girls and women, that is. For the average guy, there may be a bit too little...substance. But this movie is, in my opinion, sexy in a way that is innocent and knowing at the same time. It was tantalizing then and almost tender now. An added perk.
So, in short--go buy this, Baby. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars FORBIDDEN FRUIT, March 29 2004
"steendean" (Fayetteville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
As a young child (born in 1980) I loved this movie, though I wasn't allowed to see it in its entirety until I was a young teenager. Filmed in my home state of NC, Dirty Dancing is a splendidly romantic film about a time (the early 1960s) and a place where life was much simpler by today's standards. The music is fantasic (this movie introduced me to Otis Redding), the dancing is even better, and Patrick Swayze absolutely makes the movie! He is not only an incredible dancer, but a fine actor as well. Though he was in his mid-thirties when the movie was made, he convincingly plays the somewhat older, jaded bad boy dance instructor with panache. Jennifer Grey is lithe, talented, and beautiful as Baby, the idealistic rich girl who falls in love with Johnny. Jerry Orbach is great as Baby's dad, and the other, lesser-known actors are great as well. Yes, sometimes the dialogue is corny, and the good-girl-loves-bad-boy plot is both unrealistic and familiar, but it is the way in which the actors portray these characters that they become memorable. This is the perfect girls' sleepover movie; in fact, I like to show a trilogy of romantic "girl" movies at my sleepovers: most notably Dirty Dancing, Shag, and School Ties. Sometimes I show Pretty in Pink, too. Watch this movie one hot summer night with one of your best gal pals!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Romantic Musical Gets Top Drawer DVD Treatment, March 24 2004
Duane Thomas (Tacoma, WA United States) - See all my reviews
In the summer of 1963 we meet Francis Houseman (Jennifer Grey), a shy, bookish, virginal, idealistic young woman, and the apple of her doctor daddy's eye. She's the sort of girl, even in her late teens, everyone still calls "Baby" and it doesn't bother her. Baby travels with her family to a spendy resort hotel in the Catskills for three weeks vacation that, though she knows it not, will change her life forever. There she meets dance instructor Johnny Castle (Patrick Swayze). It's a classic mismatch. He's a tough, talented kid from Phillie who's led a hardscrabble life. She's, well, Baby.
It's immense attraction at first sight, for her at least. He by contrast thinks she must be a typical worthless rich girl. Johnny and his fellow instructor/ex-girlfriend/surrogate sister Penny spend their days teaching sedate, boring dances to sedate, boring people, and in the nights blow it off at parties in the staff quarters with loud, hard driving music and the sort of sinuous, close, steamy, erotic, go for broke dancing they're really capable of. The staff quarters and parties are, of course, strictly off limits to guests - until Baby wanders in one starcrossed night.
Through circumstances quite believable, Baby winds up having to sub for Penny at one of her and Johnny's gigs. This is important, no one else can do it, innocent people will truly suffer if Baby doesn't save the day, and with a heart as big as all outdoors she can't let that happen. Besides, it means she gets to spend time with Johnny. Problem: she's naturally awkward - or so she thinks - and doesn't know how to dance at all. In the best scenes in the film, Johnny has to teach her to dance, and these two very different people, from two different worlds, begin to fall in love.
This is a wonderful love story, a comedy, a drama, and a musical, all rolled into one. The dance numbers are a metaphor for Baby's coming of age, her awakening sexuality, as a good girl turns into a good woman. All Baby and Johnny's dancing is done by the actors, there are no doubles. Patrick Swayze was already an experienced professional dancer, appearing among other things as Danny in Grease on Broadway. Jennifer, though she'd taken dance classes as a child, had never performed before anyone except the other kids in dance class years before - until Dirty Dancing required her to do it in front of 100 cast and crew and 350 extras.
The DVD looks great, the quality of audio and visual transfer high, the soundtrack crisp and clear, the colors vibrant. This is all-important in a movie relying so much for its success on color and movement and a great soundtrack. Speaking of which, Dirty Dancing has the soundtrack from Hell. 14 preexisting old songs were used in the film, and another seven, maintaining the early 60s sound extraordinarily well, were written especially for it. The soundtrack sold one million copies in its first five weeks of release, rocketing to Billboard's number one slot above Michael Jackson's Thriller. Eventually two soundtracks were released, selling over 20 million units combined, and becoming the first time in history two soundtracks from the same movie both cracked the Top Ten.
Dirty Dancing was made on a shoestring budget of 5.2 million, which would just about pay for the catering on "bigger" films not possessing one hundredth of its gentle sentimentality, style and energy. It grossed 170 million dollars worldwide. Just goes to prove you don't need a huge budget when a movie has a great script and direction, excellent choreography, talented and enthusiastic performers, and that quality difficult to define but impossible to mistake or ignore: heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll have the time of your life watching this, March 15 2004
This has to be one of the best movies EVER! I don't give a damn what anyone thinks. It's a terrific movie, and the ultimate edition has a s*** load of extras! And if you haven't seen this movie, why not? It's a classic, you HAVE to see it.
Everyone knows the story, so I'm not going to go into that here, but the main bit I love throughout the movie, is the fact that Baby seems to almost grow and change the more she falls in love. Plus, Jennifer Grey & Patrick Swayze have some great chemistry together, which they would have to, considering they're together in nearly every scene in the movie.
Jennifer Grey is also 27, playing a 17-year-old in this movie. Which she does pretty well, but I never thought she'd be that old! (She's also appeared in a Friends episode, playing Mindy, for all you Friends fans out there - and she's definitely surgery to try and keep her youthful good looks)
As I've already mentioned there is a lot of pretty decent extras in this, and also some easter eggs - which I surprisingly enough, managed to find, but that's cos they're pretty obvious, when you're moving around, they highlight! So easier than a lot of easter eggs out there! Included in these extras are: commentary by writer/co-producer Eleanor Bergstein; commentary by Kenny Ortega (choreographer), Miranda Garrison (assistant choreographer and actress Vivian Pressman in the film), Jeff Jur (director of photography), Hilary Rosenfeld (costume designer), and David Chapman (production designer); theatrical trailer(s); trivia track; Jennifer Grey DVD introduction; Jennifer Grey's screen test (so funny!); interviews with Jennifer Grey, Eleanor Bergstein, Kenny Ortega, and Miranda Garrison (overly long and boring); Emile Ardolino tribute; Dirty Dancing Live in Concert (this is an hour & a half long, so get comfortable! It's really good, but I wasn't expecting it to be that long!); music videos: Hungry Eyes, She's Like the Wind, (I've Had) The Time of My Life; exclusive sneak peek of Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights and collectible packaging (which is pretty much annoying, until you figure out how to get into it!)
My favourites out of the extras have to be the concert, and the music videos. And out of the music videos, my favourite is definitely the She's Like The Wind video. It is one of the most subtle, but romantic songs ever. And Patrick Swayze's voice totally suits the song. The video is stunning in black and white.
I'm not sure what to think of the sequel to this - Havana Nights. I'll have to wait 'til it comes out, might see it, but the original is such a classic.
The ultimate edition is definitely worth paying a wee bit more for. There's also an ultimate edition of the soundtrack out too - both of the soundtracks on one CD. So I have that my eye on that. But if you love these kind of films, and have some taste, add this to your collection. Now.

4.0 out of 5 stars coming of age story, March 11 2004
By A Customer
This is a coming of age story of naive Baby who comes with her family to a wealthy resort and falls in love with Johnny, the popular dance teacher. This is the summer that Baby grows up and falls in love. I really liked it, the "dirty dancing" wasn't that dirty, and it was pretty clean for the most part.
There were only a few instances where I can think that it was suggestive, otherwise it isn't too bad. There is also a gross scene where someone had a botched abortion and is suffering from the pain. Nothing gory but a young woman called Penny goes to get an abortion and its a botched one. She's seen laying on the bed groaning from the pain and some of the sheets are bloody, thankfully Baby gets her dad who's a doctor and he takes care of Penny and yes she lives.
Its disturbing, don't let young kids or young teens watch this movie. I don't get why they wanted to put this scene in unless its to show viewers the dangers of abortion. Johnny and Baby teach each other about life and love. I'm not sure if I liked this movie, I'm turned off by the abortion scene. I mean ugh, its so sad. The movie has a good plot and the whole cast did a wonderful job. There are lots of features in this movie so if you're a huge fan of the movie then I'd suggest that you get this dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the DVD or VHS!, March 7 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Dirty Dancing (VHS Tape)
Dirty Dancing is about a girl named Baby Houseman( played by Jennifer grey ) who whent on a vaction with her family and finds the love of her life there. His name is Johnny Castle (played by HOTT patrick swayze), he was one of the many entertanment staff/ Dance instukter. Johonnys dance partener had to get and opperation because she got 'nocked up'. the only night she can get it was on the night of her compation with Johnny , so baby voilinters to learn the dance steps for her and do the dance. through out the whole time johnny was teaching her they started to fall in love, and johnny became 'baby's guy'. baby was ashamed to tell her father because he was a very complakated man but johnny didn't understaind that.johnny gets fired from his job for being with one of his students (baby). at the end johnny came back to do 'the final dance' for the talent show, and jake(babys father) understands that they love each-other.
I really liked the movie, but i disagree with one of the sence when johnnys says "no body puts baby in a corner", i think he should have said "no body puys MY baby in a corner"! after seeing this movie i became depressed, remembering that i'm alown but is a very good love story!
yours truly Sarah

Dirty Dancing (2-Disc Ultimate Edition)
Dirty Dancing (2-Disc Ultimate Edition) by Patrick Swayze (DVD - 2007)
CDN$ 24.95