4.0 out of 5 stars Having problems? Change the router's transmission speed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Mid-range Wireless N Gigabit Router, Jan. 17 2009
Darkev (Gatineau, QC CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: D-Link Wireless Xtreme N450 Switchable Dual Band Gigabit Router (Personal Computers)
D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router

This router is amazingly easy to setup and use. It comes with the standard flavors of security encryption and uses your web browser as an interface to make all of the adjustments you would need. It has a great log that shows attempted accesses and what IP Address they have. You can setup your wireless network for N only, G only, B only, Both G and N, etc.

The problem with this router (as is with many N wireless routers), is if you have wireless N items connected to the router you're fine as far as speed goes. However, if you connect a wireless G device along with a wireless N device, the router loses its performance substantially. If most of your equipment is G, you are not going to benefit greatly with this router if you already have a G router. D-Link does have "simultaneous" wireless N routers (DIR-825 and DIR-855) that overcome this problem. This is not a simultaneous broadcasting router.

It has built in Quality of Service (QoS) which automatically performs traffic shaping. This is great if you have a VoIP phone system and require real-time communications with the router. Two of my phones are hooked wirelessly into my VoIP system through this router and there is never a problem. No jitter, no cutting in and out, and no problems even when downloading large files. The QoS would also come in handy if you use your router for media such as a gaming console or media console.

The wired portion of the router is also awesome. It flies at gigabit speeds. You would never know that your computer was attached to the router as it appears to be directly attached to the modem with the DIR-655. The router also has a firewall, and provides your computer with an extra layer of protection against intruders/hackers.

I cannot speak for D-Link customer service because I have never had to call them about anything. This router just works!! I've upgraded the firmware 2 times since I bought it. A new feature was added with the latest update giving me the ability to plug a flash drive into the back and use it as shared storage amongst all of my computers in the house. Access is somewhat slow for the flash drive though.

The firmware is solid as the device never needs to be rebooted. I've been using this router for almost a year now, and fully recommend this if it fits your needs. You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Having problems? Change the router's transmission speed, July 8 2011
I bought 2 of these routers because it had the highest and largest number of ratings on Amazon.com. From the get go though it was nothing but problems - internet connection was dropping constantly numerous times per day and computers were not reconnecting. Tried changing every setting under the hood including channel, authentication, DHCP settings, firmware update but nothing worked. That is until I changed the transmission speed from Best to 54 mb. Now everything (over 30 computers) have stable, reliable wireless internet connection. This issue may not apply to everyone but I am pretty sure it applies to many people with older network cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little router, Dec 5 2011
I bought this after returning a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 I bought from Amazon because it kept dropping wireless connections. I've written a review of the Buffalo if anybody is interested. The D-Link is much more stable - 32 days of up time now and still counting! Worked perfectly right out of the box. Router is very quick as well. I can't comment on range because I am only using it in a one bedroom apartment. The administrator interface is easy to use and provides all the usual functions. There is an ability to export the router logs to a Sys logger, but I haven't tried it. Maybe if I get too much time on my hands I'll write one and wire it up. I've given it five stars because it is terrific value at this price point.

Those of you who are buying this router because of the USB port should know that the port only works if you have a piece of software installed on the computer(s) you want to access the port from. I'll update this review later once I find out how the port handles an internet based phone account.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 13 2014
good

3.0 out of 5 stars Random WiFi dropouts after one year, May 6 2014
This router has a good feature set; however, after one year, things are starting to get a bit weird.

Every once in a while, the wifi will drop out, and comes back on once the router is rebooted. It never did this before so I have no idea what's going on.

It's also annoying to wait for the router to reboot every time a setting is changed. It makes trial-and-error network setup very time-consuming.

I've had better luck with the DAP-1522 and would recommend it instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars EZ router, May 14 2013
I had no problems ordering this product through Amazon. It came highly recommended to me by my computer guru. Since it's been set up I've had absolutely no issues with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid performer., March 10 2013
D. W. Jenkins "Renaissance Man" (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
Definitely saw some increased performance on the wireless side.... But the gigabit wired performance was a real boost for my Media streaming. The wireless signal at the far corners of my home definitely improved as well. I previously had the DIR615 and this step up was great. For your average home network, a great performer that doesnt break the bank.

5.0 out of 5 stars DIR 655 - Excellent Router, Jan. 28 2013
Great right out of the box. Setup in minutes, easy to config.
Best router I have had in over 10 yrs. Far superior to my previous Linksys boxes.
Great value for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and very stable, Jan. 21 2013
I have used the router for a month now. So far, I've never encountered any problem except had a little trouble while setting up wireless connection. Finally, I found that it's my computer ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpassed all my performance expectations, Dec 29 2012
It surpassed my expectations. It cost less than my expensive D-Link router and performs twice as good. It extended my range considerably. The install was smooth & simple. No glitches at all. It is very stable. My son noticed a big improvement in performance when playing on-line games with his PS3.
I would Strongly recommend this router to others.

Dave Williams