5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great
Have had it plugged in for a month now with heavy use powering both the computer and home entertainment system - TV - PS3 - XBOX. Has never needed to be reset - has never had an issue. Good so far. Happy with the purchase.
Published on Jan. 28 2010 by Kawi1000

3.0 out of 5 stars Mid-range Wireless N Gigabit Router
D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router

Published on Jan. 17 2009 by Darkev

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Mid-range Wireless N Gigabit Router, Jan. 17 2009
Darkev (Gatineau, QC CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: D-Link Wireless Xtreme N450 Switchable Dual Band Gigabit Router (Personal Computers)
D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router

This router is amazingly easy to setup and use. It comes with the standard flavors of security encryption and uses your web browser as an interface to make all of the adjustments you would need. It has a great log that shows attempted accesses and what IP Address they have. You can setup your wireless network for N only, G only, B only, Both G and N, etc.

The problem with this router (as is with many N wireless routers), is if you have wireless N items connected to the router you're fine as far as speed goes. However, if you connect a wireless G device along with a wireless N device, the router loses its performance substantially. If most of your equipment is G, you are not going to benefit greatly with this router if you already have a G router. D-Link does have "simultaneous" wireless N routers (DIR-825 and DIR-855) that overcome this problem. This is not a simultaneous broadcasting router.

It has built in Quality of Service (QoS) which automatically performs traffic shaping. This is great if you have a VoIP phone system and require real-time communications with the router. Two of my phones are hooked wirelessly into my VoIP system through this router and there is never a problem. No jitter, no cutting in and out, and no problems even when downloading large files. The QoS would also come in handy if you use your router for media such as a gaming console or media console.

The wired portion of the router is also awesome. It flies at gigabit speeds. You would never know that your computer was attached to the router as it appears to be directly attached to the modem with the DIR-655. The router also has a firewall, and provides your computer with an extra layer of protection against intruders/hackers.

I cannot speak for D-Link customer service because I have never had to call them about anything. This router just works!! I've upgraded the firmware 2 times since I bought it. A new feature was added with the latest update giving me the ability to plug a flash drive into the back and use it as shared storage amongst all of my computers in the house. Access is somewhat slow for the flash drive though.

The firmware is solid as the device never needs to be rebooted. I've been using this router for almost a year now, and fully recommend this if it fits your needs. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, Jan. 28 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars No more problems, April 19 2010
Rocker (red deer, alberta) - See all my reviews
Bought this to replace my old d-link. my wireless was giving me problems and my IT guy told me to just get this one. i'm not disappointed.

with newer and better phones cutting into wireless signals, this router gives me great coverage for up to 60 feet onto patio an garage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Having problems? Change the router's transmission speed, July 8 2011
I bought 2 of these routers because it had the highest and largest number of ratings on Amazon.com. From the get go though it was nothing but problems - internet connection was dropping constantly numerous times per day and computers were not reconnecting. Tried changing every setting under the hood including channel, authentication, DHCP settings, firmware update but nothing worked. That is until I changed the transmission speed from Best to 54 mb. Now everything (over 30 computers) have stable, reliable wireless internet connection. This issue may not apply to everyone but I am pretty sure it applies to many people with older network cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little router, Dec 5 2011
I bought this after returning a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 I bought from Amazon because it kept dropping wireless connections. I've written a review of the Buffalo if anybody is interested. The D-Link is much more stable - 32 days of up time now and still counting! Worked perfectly right out of the box. Router is very quick as well. I can't comment on range because I am only using it in a one bedroom apartment. The administrator interface is easy to use and provides all the usual functions. There is an ability to export the router logs to a Sys logger, but I haven't tried it. Maybe if I get too much time on my hands I'll write one and wire it up. I've given it five stars because it is terrific value at this price point.

Those of you who are buying this router because of the USB port should know that the port only works if you have a piece of software installed on the computer(s) you want to access the port from. I'll update this review later once I find out how the port handles an internet based phone account.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Router, Extremely Satisfied, Dec 31 2010
Up until I bought this router I was using a Linksys E3000 (which I had no issues with) but saw this sale price and decided I could stand for a change.
Shipping was fast and setup for this device was extremely simple. It has great coverage all over my house and the strength is consistent.
I highly recommend this product, it is one of the fastest on the market and up to this point I have encountered no problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, Aug. 11 2010
I haven't notice too much of a speed difference from my old "g" router. I was also a disappointed with the range as it was no greater than my old router. I don't think that I buy this router again as it wasn't that great of an improvement over my old router. I do not use this router for gaming or HD streaming so that may be why I don't notice the difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, Nov. 29 2010
Bought this router after reading reviews and also taking cost into account. The router was up and running in no time and with the install of the USB software had my external drive up in minutes! Very pleased with the speed and security options!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance at a good price, Jan. 11 2011
Raymond W Tsui (Waterloo, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace my ten year old SMC Barricade. It is easy to set up. I am getting better signal strength and performance in my house. Have had it for a month now and no issue at all. Very happy with this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 13 2014