4.0 out of 5 stars Having problems? Change the router's transmission speed

Published on Jan. 17 2009 by Darkev

3.0 out of 5 stars Mid-range Wireless N Gigabit Router, Jan. 17 2009
Darkev (Gatineau, QC CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: D-Link Wireless Xtreme N450 Switchable Dual Band Gigabit Router (Personal Computers)
D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router

This router is amazingly easy to setup and use. It comes with the standard flavors of security encryption and uses your web browser as an interface to make all of the adjustments you would need. It has a great log that shows attempted accesses and what IP Address they have. You can setup your wireless network for N only, G only, B only, Both G and N, etc.

The problem with this router (as is with many N wireless routers), is if you have wireless N items connected to the router you're fine as far as speed goes. However, if you connect a wireless G device along with a wireless N device, the router loses its performance substantially. If most of your equipment is G, you are not going to benefit greatly with this router if you already have a G router. D-Link does have "simultaneous" wireless N routers (DIR-825 and DIR-855) that overcome this problem. This is not a simultaneous broadcasting router.

It has built in Quality of Service (QoS) which automatically performs traffic shaping. This is great if you have a VoIP phone system and require real-time communications with the router. Two of my phones are hooked wirelessly into my VoIP system through this router and there is never a problem. No jitter, no cutting in and out, and no problems even when downloading large files. The QoS would also come in handy if you use your router for media such as a gaming console or media console.

The wired portion of the router is also awesome. It flies at gigabit speeds. You would never know that your computer was attached to the router as it appears to be directly attached to the modem with the DIR-655. The router also has a firewall, and provides your computer with an extra layer of protection against intruders/hackers.

I cannot speak for D-Link customer service because I have never had to call them about anything. This router just works!! I've upgraded the firmware 2 times since I bought it. A new feature was added with the latest update giving me the ability to plug a flash drive into the back and use it as shared storage amongst all of my computers in the house. Access is somewhat slow for the flash drive though.

The firmware is solid as the device never needs to be rebooted. I've been using this router for almost a year now, and fully recommend this if it fits your needs. You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Having problems? Change the router's transmission speed, July 8 2011
I bought 2 of these routers because it had the highest and largest number of ratings on Amazon.com. From the get go though it was nothing but problems - internet connection was dropping constantly numerous times per day and computers were not reconnecting. Tried changing every setting under the hood including channel, authentication, DHCP settings, firmware update but nothing worked. That is until I changed the transmission speed from Best to 54 mb. Now everything (over 30 computers) have stable, reliable wireless internet connection. This issue may not apply to everyone but I am pretty sure it applies to many people with older network cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, Jan. 28 2010
Have had it plugged in for a month now with heavy use powering both the computer and home entertainment system - TV - PS3 - XBOX. Has never needed to be reset - has never had an issue. Good so far. Happy with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little router, Dec 5 2011
I bought this after returning a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 I bought from Amazon because it kept dropping wireless connections. I've written a review of the Buffalo if anybody is interested. The D-Link is much more stable - 32 days of up time now and still counting! Worked perfectly right out of the box. Router is very quick as well. I can't comment on range because I am only using it in a one bedroom apartment. The administrator interface is easy to use and provides all the usual functions. There is an ability to export the router logs to a Sys logger, but I haven't tried it. Maybe if I get too much time on my hands I'll write one and wire it up. I've given it five stars because it is terrific value at this price point.

Those of you who are buying this router because of the USB port should know that the port only works if you have a piece of software installed on the computer(s) you want to access the port from. I'll update this review later once I find out how the port handles an internet based phone account.

4.0 out of 5 stars No more problems, April 19 2010
Rocker (red deer, alberta) - See all my reviews
Bought this to replace my old d-link. my wireless was giving me problems and my IT guy told me to just get this one. i'm not disappointed.

with newer and better phones cutting into wireless signals, this router gives me great coverage for up to 60 feet onto patio an garage.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best home router to date, April 25 2011
I have been it the computer industry for 15 years . Dlink was and still makes crap Linksys was the king till they started making routers without antenas . However the wireless n spec does not really need them and they could be internal. Apple got it right linksys bombed out. Dlink did however get it right on this model . Having a long install history in setting up wireless routers and networks in homes .And having a boosted setup in my own house .with a older wireless linksys G router and having nothing linksys currenty has that gave me any better coverage ( actually less) even useing their main router . I reluctantly tried this Dlink router again remembering it did have good coverage but it was too new with a crappy bios .

I decided to try it again. as my Linksys was getting old...( they do have processors on routers as well memory etc. ) and as all of you know newer is faster maybe not better but faster. So now this is the only router I use for all networks I install . It's cheap ( inexpensive) fast, reliable ( have been using them for over a year now no problems . ) And stongly recommend this one Only ! If you want the best wireless signal in the home market.
This does not mean a 2000.00 cisco router does not blow this one away ...but get real for 100.00 and gigabit and draft N .the only other one I would recomend is the apple one at twice or more . I can say it works with apple just as well as Pc. I have a 24 port switch in my house run 10 computers ..wireless laptops and are very happy with this product. I do not work for Dlink and do not recommend any of their other products ,But the engineers got this one right . And in my small world of fellow techs we all like this one . I can not tell you how easy it is to setup as I am an experienced tech .And its kinda low on the totem pole of things to do today if you know what I mean . But I do give this router a 5 out of 5 . And I am the guy you want to fix your crap....I do not want to make a come back visit for free. Its got to work ,its got to work well and be frickin reliable. This is the only reason I am writing this message.
And try to set up wpa2 it is a better protection and do a large pass key as well. and change the password and write it down on the underneath of the router so you remember it. Did I mention I hate passwords?

Enjoy your journey.

Cheapest price I have found

3.0 out of 5 stars Good router but doesn't have great range, Sept. 12 2012
Got this router a couple of weeks ago after seeing some good reviews/ratings across the board.

Pros: It is super easy to install. The speeds are good, especially during low traffic times.

Cons: The Range! I live in a bungalow so the signal doesn't have a long way to travel but I have two rooms that are complete dead spots! Minor thing: the blue lights on this thing look cool but can be a bit of a distraction especially if the unit is placed close to your TV.

Conclusion: It is reasonable at $60 so if you live in a relatively small space like a 2 bedroom apartment, it would be totally worth it. If you live in a bigger home, you may want to spend a bit more and perhaps go for a dual band. I'm going to have to spend some more and get a range extender for the two rooms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darn Good router, April 5 2011
Works great, good range, iphone and everyone else computers work perfectly with it, fooled around with a lot of settings, and when I screwed things up, I simply reverted to a backup of the setting when I had everything right, everything was easy and fast. THe USB port though is the greatest thing, unfortunately the shareport software is a piece of crap, and in fact doesn't exist for mac as far as I can tell, but I went and got SX virtual link, and it works flawlessly, I can back up with time machine, stream HD videos all over the network, freeing my laptop up for having to drag around the external hard drive as well.

Gotta say, as far as routers go, this is probably one of the better ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well., March 14 2011
I've had this D-Link device going for about a month now and find no reason to complain about anything. It does what I wanted it to do ... give me better coverage in my bedroom at the opposite end of the house from the router. And on a different floor. I went from one or two bars to a steady four bars. Great improvement. I did need to phone the manufacturer for help installing and setting up the device but that was relatively painless. The manual and quick set up instructions were less than clear for a person who is unfamiliar with the basics of wireless routers etc. But the tech support gentleman was able to step me through it fine. It works well, and that's good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good and Easy to setup., Jan. 2 2012
The router was very easy to get setup with their wizard managing all the settings and easy step by step process.

Once connected I needed to attempt to modify my internal network settings to allow my PS3 to work better with COD and MW3. Although I was able to improve the settings from a Strict NAT to a Moderate NAT I was not able to achieve Open NAT even when I used the DMZ setting.

Of course it took me quite some time to understand all this and although the internet searches for information about how to do this bounced from PS forums to the DLink websites the DLink people should consider offering a phone service to assist users to maximize their products useage.

D-Link Wireless Xtreme N450 Switchable Dual Band Gigabit Router