countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 14, 2015
Absolutely delightful black comedy, with Rowan Atkinson in the straight man role. Maggie Smith gives a wonderful performance as the vicar's housekeeper, who is determined to make life better for her new family, no matter what it takes!

All the cast suit their roles to perfection and you won't stop laughing until the credits roll. Wait for the final punchline at the very end!!! :D
on May 16, 2016
Quirky and wonderful. Rowan Atkinson is splendid as the uptight vicar, Maggie Smith is her usual stunning self, and the story is just black enough in its comedy to make it thoroughly enjoyable. Patrick Swayze is an odd addition as the lecherous golf pro but it all works. Loved it. T
on April 20, 2016
This was a gift for my Mum. We watched it together and laughed and giggled. My mother is British and I grew up with British comedies so we can understand the mindset, sense of humour and pacing of a British film (which this is - make no mistake). My Canadian in-laws were not as amused and my mother-in-law had quite a bit of trouble understanding the accents. So I guess I would say - be prepared for verbal humour and sometimes a slower than North American speed as per plot advancement. Rowan Atkinson is brilliant as usual but Maggie Smith really steals the show !
on November 3, 2015
Our disc arrived in perfect condition and works without any issues in our various players.

This is a great movie! Lovely, dry, black British humour!!! This is a really twisted movie, Rowan Atkinson is the straight man in this, by they way, and plays his role beautifully ... the entire cast is priceless in this!!!
on December 15, 2012
Who would think Rowan Atkinson would be primarily the straight man except for a few wee bits? Maggie Smith delightful as always. A great bit of dark English humour in keeping with the fine tradition. Enjoyed it immensely. Recommend it to anyone who "gets" British humour.
on March 25, 2013
I liked this movie very much. Maggie Smith and Rowen Atkinson are marvelous as are the other characters in this movie. I found the storyline a bit of a twist, but very enjoyable. Somehow I never would picture Maggie as an killer.

I do recommend this movie to any fans of Maggie Smith. For Rowen Atkinson, I was pleasantly surprised at his character in this movie. He was, I though, very believeable as a country minister and he opened a whole new vision of him as an actor.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 20, 2009
Walter Goodfellow (Rowan Atkinson), the vicar of a small village in England is too preoccupied and befuddled with his job to pay any attention to his wife (Kristin Scott Thomas), so she has an affair with her golf teacher (Patrick Swayze) while his kids are lost and in trouble. Then a new housekeeper (Maggie Smith) enters their lives and all their problems seem to disappear.

I didn't know what to expect from this movie and was puzzled in the beginning but ended up liking it. It's a dark comedy that's exceedingly dry and subtle, more sinister than comedic, and very British in tone. The cast, led by the marvelous Maggie Smith, is superb and they hold your interest even when the story is at times odd and confusing. The location photography is gorgeous. This is definitely not a laugh-out-loud comedy, but is ultimately sweet and clever. 3.5 stars.
on December 28, 2014
What a great movie! Its a quirky comedy gem. and I found it hilarious. I really enjoyed the performances of Maggie Smith, Rowan Atkinson and Patrick Swayze. I found Kristen Scott Thomas hilarious in her role as well. I happily recommend this movie.
on December 23, 2015
A somewhat dark (along the lines of Wild Target), quirky (by North American standards) English comedy that was a lot of fun. Wonderful acting all around by a rather stellar cast. Can't say more as that would involve plot discussion and don't want to spoil it for anyone. At the price it is a steal.
on January 2, 2014
This show was exactly as expected.
Having not ever heard of it before I bought it - I went off the reviews and the cast members and decided to purchase.
Not a show I would"highly recommend" but a show I will watch again a afew times over the next few years at our cottage with others who also enjoy light British Comedy.