5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Grinder
Published on March 31 2012 by Debbie the book junkie in Ontario

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised
Published on May 31 2012 by Goju

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Grinder, March 31 2012
Debbie the book junkie in Ontario "maybaby" (Hamilton, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL (Kitchen)
I bought this for Xmas 2011 for my very fussy, coffee snob husband. We are both very pleased the with grind settings and find it works well for all grinds of coffee. The problem we had with other grinders was that the fine grind didn't go fine enough or evenly fine enough for espresso but have been very, very, happy with the Breville for espresso (my husband will by those massive bags of quality beans for making espresso and French Press so the machine sees a lot of action). I couldn't recommend this machine more highly for it's price point. The only way you'll get a better grinder is to shell out a couple hundred dollars more and even then I don't see that much of a difference between them to warrant the extra $$$.
***November 20, 2012 ...we have had this almost a year and we still love it. It's still grinding exactly how it's supposed to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for the price range, Feb. 22 2012
Mike J (Victoria, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL (Kitchen)
I've been shopping around a while now for a burr grinder for drip coffee and finally settled on this one (after returning a Cuisinart DBM-8).

For the price range I think this is a fantastic grinder. Relatively quiet (for what it is), makes a decently uniform grind, and the static free cup, while not completely static free, is a huge improvement over the three other burr grinders I have used. I no longer have grounds flying all around my kitchen and can actually dump the grounds straight from the cup into my filter without having some of them end up in the water reservoir of my drip machine.

For me this is a great solution without having to spend too much but three things I'd point out for others are:

- The 30 second timer works for me as I normally make only one or tow cups at a time. If I was making a full pot on a regular basis I imagine I'd soon tire of having to grind through two or three cycles just to produce enough. Not a frequent enough concern for me based on my habits but it might be for you.

- As others have mentioned, I would not consider the grind fine enough for espresso or Turkish. I would say this makes a decently uniform "very fine" grind but probably falls just short of true espresso grind for the purist. I don't own an espresso machine so, again, not a concern for me personally.

- I'm using this to "dose" my grounds so I dump the cup entirely out into my filter. If I wanted to grind more than I need and then scoop the grinds from the cup I would be annoyed (like others) at the irregular shape of the cup. Although I don't understand why anyone would leave anything behind in the cup. The purpose of this type of grinder is to grind exactly what you need each time you make coffee so I'm not sure why this is an issue for some but it may be for you.

If your needs are like mine I would recommend this as an excellent and more affordable solution for getting the benefits of a burr grinder (cooler and more uniform grind than a blade grinder). I would also add that the anti static plastic makes the process neat and easy compared to other burr grinders I have used where static is a bit of a pain. I haven't had it long enough to speak about reliability or clogging/cleaning issues but I do notice that this has a fairly direct (if not entirely straight) path from burrs to receptacle so I hope cleaning will be easy to maintain. I hope my experience will mirror that of other reviewers who have had this unit for a year or two and are still happy with the purchase.

**Update August 2014**
Been using this on a daily basis for two and half years now with no problems to speak of. I've never cleaned the blades with rice or any other such thing, as some have suggested. I've only cleaned the cup and plastic lid/hopper in warm soapy water once or twice but that's the only maintenance I've seemed to need to do. Working the same now as it did on day one. So far so good! Would gladly recommend (with the caveats above of course).

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good Grinder.., Sept. 11 2010
texjohn (Texada Island, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL (Kitchen)
This Conical Burr Grinder certainly produces nicely ground coffee and it is also quieter than the Krupp one I have on top of a coffee maker.

The product is very solid and I was impressed with the quality of the grinder itself when I inspected it during the setup process. The anti-static grind cup is pretty good too -- not entirely static-free, but close enough considering it is plastic. Actually the whole machine is fairly solid for a popularly priced grinder.

Last, but not least, I was VERY happy for once that the Canadian price was close to the US price. I expect to pay more for products in Canada, but the difference most of the time keeps me from ordering and makes me say bad words :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Coffee, not so much for Espresso, Feb. 23 2010
This review is from: Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL (Kitchen)
Pretty much what the title says. It grinds fine enough for drip coffee, the removable receptacle is nice and static free. You can dump the ground coffee straight into the basket of your coffee maker mess free.

Espresso, not so great. If you're using a pressurized portafilter it'll be ok. A standard portafilter, not so much. It just doesn't grind fine enough, also the size of the grinds isn't particularly consistent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, May 31 2012
This review is from: Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL (Kitchen)
Ths box advertises "ultra fine", the grinder itself has a "super fine, Turkish" grind setting, but according to Breville it is not capable of a very fine grind, certainly not a Turkish grind as advertised. They have been very, very responsive to my concerns, but I think buyers should know it seems to be an excellent general grinder but will not grind fine enough for a single wall espresso filter (water transit time - 5 seconds - it should be over 20 seconds) and barely fine enough for a dual wall espresso filter. If you need a fine grind, get the next model up with the shim kit. Once again - I stress that the folks at Breville.ca have been terrific in their assistance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Switch doesn't work - Canadian customer service is USELESS, March 18 2013
This review is from: Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL (Kitchen)
I purchased this item. Exactly a year after I purchased it, the switch stopped working. I learned from my online research that there is a defect in the switch and Breville has been replacing these as required.

To my suprise, this is NOT what Breville Canada is doing. They've instead told me to take the item to a service centre (the nearest one is six hours from Winnipeg) or that I can order parts online using my Visa or Mastercard.

DO NOT BUY THIS GRINDER! Zero stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ease of use and grind very well., Feb. 11 2012
This review is from: Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL (Kitchen)
This grinder is very easy of use and fast. Grinding my coffee every morning is not really longer than taking an already ground coffee. Pitching a handful of beans in the stand and push start button. That's it! And it much better! One important thing is it doesn't heat the coffee while grinding it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Messy and small, Feb. 14 2014
This review is from: Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL (Kitchen)
I read the reviews before purchasing this product, thought I researched it well, but I am not pleased. The actual grind of the coffee is fine. But there are two major flaws. The first and worst is the grind catcher. It is small and it is extremely messy. It is absolutely frustrating to try and empty the grinds into the filter. If you empty it, the grinds that have stuck to the lid go everywhere - hands, counter, coffee maker. Yuck!! And if you use a scoop there is no way of getting them all because of the design of the catcher. Add to that the second flaw which is the timer. The maximum grind time is 30 seconds which grinds enough coffee for about 8 cups - we have a 14 cup maker. So you go through the frustration of the messy catcher not once, but twice every time you make coffee!! Unless you are a single cup coffee maker, this grinder is far less than adequate and satisfactory. Would return it in a moment if I could get my money back.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked great.....for awhile, April 24 2012
This review is from: Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL (Kitchen)
I used this on a daily basis for several months and it worked fine. Then all of a sudden it took several cycles of maximum time (30 seconds) to grind enough for a single french press pot. Tried to clean it - no help. Took out the top grinder and now I can't get the grinder back in place so the product is now completely useless. Not terribly expensive when compared to some of the high end grinders, but still priced sufficiently expensively that I don't think this should work for a year and then be disposed of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Grinder, a bit messy, Dec 2 2013
Steve D'Arnot (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL (Kitchen)
Pros: consistent grinds, doesn't burn the beans, simple to use, sleek design
Cons: can be messy, lid to collection cup flimsy and broke, often had to tap the hopper to get the beans to fall

I used this machine almost daily for 2 years and was very pleased with it's performance. Once I got used to the 'mess', I made a point of always tapping the cup to kill the static electricity, and loosen stray grinds. There is always some lose grind fallout, so I simply kept it beside the sink when removing the cup. The unit is easy to clean, and it never required much maintenance; it never clogged on me. When it finally died and I would have readily purchased another one, but decided to upgrade to the 800XL model. For the price, you won't find a better grinder.

Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL