Published on July 6 2007 by Torval Mork

3.0 out of 5 stars This Version is Missing Content!
Published on Feb. 12 2008 by R. Koett

5.0 out of 5 stars A film of enourmous proportions that shows the majesty and mystery of our planet, July 6 2007
Torval Mork (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It is hard to find a starting point in reviewing a film series that has set such a high standard of achievement. I frequently found myself pausing, rewinding and replaying multiple segments of each eposide, fascinated with the extent to which these expert filmmakers went to capture such amazing footage. What sets this "nature documentary" apart from all that have come before it is the expert utilization of a multitude of filmmaking tools reserved for big budget TV commercials, music videos and feature films. Examples can be seen right from the first episode, where the use of a motion control rig and time lapse photography shows the full, month long transition between seasons on the arctic tundra, and long distance, high speed lenses capture the frolicking of a polar bear and her cubs. The African wild dog hunt segment made use of a high-tech helicopter HD camera mount, formerly used exclusively by the military. Even small clips that take you into the next act are amazing, unparalleled photographic achievements.

Photographic and technical wizardry aside, the mandate of this series was to show the planet and it's non-human inhabitants as they've never been seen before. In this respect, the producer, Alistair Fothergill, and his team of hundreds have far exceeded their goal. This did not come about without putting in a mammoth amount of sweat equity. In watching the 10 minute diary segements after each episode, one sees the drive and determination of the crew, sometimes up to three years of hiking and filming, to capture a few minutes of rare footage. A previous reviewer has referenced the snow leopard and shark footage, I would like to add the pirhana feeding frenzy and stork migration over Mount Everest as truly awestriking segments as well.

The narration by David Attenbourough adds a gentle backstory and a few exclamation points to footage that could stand alone without it. A 5.1 soundtrack, and BBC Orchestra score give a compelling reason to turn up the volume, sit back and enjoy the HD glory of this absolutely flawless presentation. This is a must see series for children and adults alike... awesome... awesome... awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars This version is with David, March 29 2007
This is a great series; you will fill like never before when you watch the series. And don't worry because Sigourney Weaver, the narrator of the discovery's planet earth version in the USA, will not narrate this DVD set. This set will contain the original version with David Attenborough's narration. Is just an error of Amazon listing Weaver as the narrator in this set. I can confirm this because I have seen many sources that confirm this. The version with Weaver is on sale on the Discovery's store and it has a different cover. I hope you buy this set and not the discovery's because I have heard Weaver's narration and Attenborough's narration, and Weaver's is nothing compare to Attenborough's. I hope you enjoy this set as I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where's the bonus material?, July 14 2008
Emmet (Montreal, QC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Earth: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] [Import] (Blu-ray)
This series is outstanding. Great cinematography and just mind boggling natural beauty.
The only question I have is why does the product description mention a 5 disc set when the product image clearly states 4 disc set, like the one I own. Was there a re-release of this product?
Where is the fifth disc? Where are those 10 minute behind the scenes clips for each episode? I don't have any of that on mine. In fact my version is bare-bones episodes, no special features. For my first blue-ray purchase that's a little disappointing. My friend has the regular dvd's and they do have all the special features and extras...
Why would the blue-ray version have less?

3.0 out of 5 stars This Version is Missing Content!, Feb. 12 2008
R. Koett - See all my reviews
A friend of mine showed me this series on DVD. I was so impressed I couldn't wait to purchase the Blu-Ray version and watch it at 1080p resolution. It turns out that not every scene is filmed in high definition, which is understandable given the conditions of some of the filming. What REALLY disappointed me about this version, however, is that much of the content is missing! The DVD version has a short documentary piece after each section that shows how the filming was done. This is actually some of the most interesting content. It's incredible, for example, how many days a photographer spent hiding in a blind to film a rare bird in the Amazon. When I got the Blu-Ray set I searched and searched but all this "making of" content is not included!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real documentary, April 13 2007
Ben Brooks - See all my reviews
This is what a documentary should be. A real documentary showcasing the wonders of this world, without any computer generated images or cheesy North American awful commentary (Make sure you get the David Attenborough original narration)

Worth it just for the images of the ellusive snow leopard alone

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems with the blu-ray? horrid quality in some chapters..., Jan. 8 2009
J. Johnston - See all my reviews
My brother owns the progressive scan quality DVD of this set and watching it on my component cabled DVD player it was astounding on my 42" LG LCD 1080p. I loved it so much I thought "I need to have this!", but decided why get it in DVD format when I can one up it and go for the blu-ray. I even bought a blu-ray player and HDMI cable just in preparation for this set.

WOW it looks incredible!...until you get to a lower light shot. Something has happened in the transfer to the blu-ray and added SEVERE amounts of dark dark blue (sometimes grey) grain to low light shots. Now I realize not "all" the camera work is done in HD, which is fine, but these scenes looks WORSE on blu-ray than on DVD, how does that happen? The caves episode shows it the worst, some scenes have literal snow on them like partially opaque white noise, and some scenes LITERALLY look like one of those 10yr old VHS tapes with a show recorded from TV look to them. I mean it is absolutely undeniable how horrid some of it looks.

There's forums all over the net complaining about this from up to 2 yrs ago it seems. No idea if it's just -some- of the blu-rays or all of them, not sure if the BBC will recall it or what. But I am truly sad that the DVD version overall looks better than the blu-ray. Nothing worse than sitting down to pure eye-candy (and educational to boot) and switching scenes and thinking "wow am I watching this on UHF?".

For those thinking it may be my setup it's not, I'm watching this on an LG50 42" 1080p using a Sharp Aquous Blu-ray player with the most up-to-date firmware tranferring on a 4' HDMI gold cable. Every blu-ray I have is fine, save for this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes the blu ray is missing content!, May 18 2010
I have both the DVD and the Blu-Ray versions. It is certainly a shame that the blu ray is missing the extra content especially given the fact that blu ray generally has MORE content. Given the fact that the blu ray is 1080i rather than 1080p, one might want to consider buying the DVD rather than the blu ray. I haven't tried a side by side comparison but I'm thinking that the blu ray probably isn't that much sharper. I'm not knocking the actual content which is simply amazing. But the "filming of" content is something you wouldn't want to miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to this - maybe, March 25 2007
Graham (Guelph, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
While the TV presentation of Planet Earth has David Attenborough narrating, this DVD appears to have Sigourney Weaver as narrator.

Not wishing to detract from Ms Weaver's skills, Attenborough fans may want to seek out the UK version with David Attenborough if this release does not have the option of selecting him for voice-over.

That said, I will definitely be adding this title to my library, as the visuals are stunning, the transitions from season to season using the same shot are well done, and as an educational tool I highly recommend this as a way to see naturally beautiful parts of the natural world that often go unseen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy on Amazon.COM, Oct. 5 2007
I bought this set for $69.95 on Amazon.Com.. It is an awesome documentary.

Do not buy it on Amazon.Ca who willingly charges you $30 more because you're Canadian.

4.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded version(s), Sept. 13 2011
Mark (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
To respond to the comment from Dave, these are an improved edition, both a special edition and limited edition. These add the behind-the-scenes shorts that were on the DVD version, which were lacking from the previous blu-ray release. Also Planet Earth: The Future was in the DVD set which will now be re-included in this set. They are purported to be on 50GB discs as well instead of the 25GB discs from the last release, it can be expected that these have upgraded PQ and AQ as well, since the original realease had some quality issues at first and were recalled.

I'm looking forward to this release and I'm glad I held out. I was looking at getting the UK blu-ray version as it was more complete than the north american version, but I found out it was in PAL format, only compatible with very few blu-ray players that can do PAL conversion, of which the PS3 is not included. Plus the Limited edition globe version looks great, would be a good conversation piece! :) If someone didn't want to go for that the special edition has a cardboard case and is less money.

More info is available below:

[...]

[Edit] Apparently this killed my link to Blu-ray dot com. Apologies for not checking back and spotting that. Funny that they killed that link, when Blu-ray is partnered with Amazon for live pricing and click-through revenue. Way to go Amazon, geez. So anyway if you do wish for more information on this product please search on the aforementioned site. Thanks.

ARRAY(0xb5b804f8)

Planet Earth: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] [Import]
Planet Earth: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] [Import] by David Attenborough (Blu-ray - 2007)
CDN$ 124.98 CDN$ 93.66