march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on January 8, 2009
My brother owns the progressive scan quality DVD of this set and watching it on my component cabled DVD player it was astounding on my 42" LG LCD 1080p. I loved it so much I thought "I need to have this!", but decided why get it in DVD format when I can one up it and go for the blu-ray. I even bought a blu-ray player and HDMI cable just in preparation for this set.

WOW it looks incredible!...until you get to a lower light shot. Something has happened in the transfer to the blu-ray and added SEVERE amounts of dark dark blue (sometimes grey) grain to low light shots. Now I realize not "all" the camera work is done in HD, which is fine, but these scenes looks WORSE on blu-ray than on DVD, how does that happen? The caves episode shows it the worst, some scenes have literal snow on them like partially opaque white noise, and some scenes LITERALLY look like one of those 10yr old VHS tapes with a show recorded from TV look to them. I mean it is absolutely undeniable how horrid some of it looks.

There's forums all over the net complaining about this from up to 2 yrs ago it seems. No idea if it's just -some- of the blu-rays or all of them, not sure if the BBC will recall it or what. But I am truly sad that the DVD version overall looks better than the blu-ray. Nothing worse than sitting down to pure eye-candy (and educational to boot) and switching scenes and thinking "wow am I watching this on UHF?".

For those thinking it may be my setup it's not, I'm watching this on an LG50 42" 1080p using a Sharp Aquous Blu-ray player with the most up-to-date firmware tranferring on a 4' HDMI gold cable. Every blu-ray I have is fine, save for this one.
on September 13, 2011
To respond to the comment from Dave, these are an improved edition, both a special edition and limited edition. These add the behind-the-scenes shorts that were on the DVD version, which were lacking from the previous blu-ray release. Also Planet Earth: The Future was in the DVD set which will now be re-included in this set. They are purported to be on 50GB discs as well instead of the 25GB discs from the last release, it can be expected that these have upgraded PQ and AQ as well, since the original realease had some quality issues at first and were recalled.

I'm looking forward to this release and I'm glad I held out. I was looking at getting the UK blu-ray version as it was more complete than the north american version, but I found out it was in PAL format, only compatible with very few blu-ray players that can do PAL conversion, of which the PS3 is not included. Plus the Limited edition globe version looks great, would be a good conversation piece! :) If someone didn't want to go for that the special edition has a cardboard case and is less money.

More info is available below:

[...]

[Edit] Apparently this killed my link to Blu-ray dot com. Apologies for not checking back and spotting that. Funny that they killed that link, when Blu-ray is partnered with Amazon for live pricing and click-through revenue. Way to go Amazon, geez. So anyway if you do wish for more information on this product please search on the aforementioned site. Thanks.
on April 13, 2007
This is what a documentary should be. A real documentary showcasing the wonders of this world, without any computer generated images or cheesy North American awful commentary (Make sure you get the David Attenborough original narration)

Worth it just for the images of the ellusive snow leopard alone
on August 15, 2009
Almost every shot in every episode of Planet Earth is a marvel. They manage to capture things on camera that have never been filmed before, and in some cases never been witnessed before. Equally fascinating is the "Planet Earth Diaries" segment that is featured at the end of each episode, which reveals the amount of painstaking work it took to garner some of the more unique shots. David Attenborough is the perfect narrator for this series (so I recommend not getting the US version, which is narrated by someone else).

If you don't have Planet Earth, you simply have to get it.
on April 18, 2008
This is a disc set that must be purchased if you have a bluray player and HDTV. There are various cameras used, so the picture quality does vary a little bit, but overall, this is STUNNING. Great for all ages. Perfect demo material to show off your bluray player and or HDTV!
on October 5, 2007
I bought this set for $69.95 on Amazon.Com.. It is an awesome documentary.

Do not buy it on Amazon.Ca who willingly charges you $30 more because you're Canadian.
on November 30, 2011
I ordered this product roughly five days ago, and have received it, given my proximity to the shipping centre.

The globe comes packaged in a plastic box, which is easy to open. The item itself is solidly made, with the hinge being the only spot that seems flimsy, and even then not greatly so.

The globe is fantastic, and looks great. Each globe is individually numbered, out of a limited production run of 50,000. The plastic sleeves that house the blu-ray are slid into the styrofoam lining of the globe.

All in all, very well shipped, great item, and the series itself is simply breathtaking.
on March 7, 2009
So you had shelled out significant amount of your saving to an HDTV, and maybe some more for a bluray player. If you are still struggling with whether the purchase was really necessary, or in any way improved your overall entertainment experience? This would be the perfect remedy for you. Not only is the image so vivid that insect-hater would shy away, the content is even more educational that, I cannot find any good reason to regret my plant-earth decision. You will for sure feel much better about this bluray purchase than .. say a batman one (even though I like it).
on February 15, 2009
We have kids who are 4, 7 and 9 and Planet Earth has provided us with hours of family entertainment. The filming is absolutely stunning and some of the sequences are clearing once-in-a-lifetime kinds of shots. The diaries at the end of every episode give details about how the amazing footage was captured which is really interesting and often, just as exciting as the episode itself. We all love it.
on January 14, 2011
We bought this series for Christmas for our family of 4 young kids. It was our only gift since we and the kids have everything we need. (I absolutely didn't want anymore toys in this household). lol Anyway, we are loving these dvds. We're seeing things we've never seen before and are once again amazed by God's creation. Get these instead of all the useless movies that are out there!