5.0 out of 5 stars A film of enourmous proportions that shows the majesty and mystery of our planet
It is hard to find a starting point in reviewing a film series that has set such a high standard of achievement. I frequently found myself pausing, rewinding and replaying multiple segments of each eposide, fascinated with the extent to which these expert filmmakers went to capture such amazing footage. What sets this "nature documentary" apart from all that have come...
Published on July 6 2007 by Torval Mork

3.0 out of 5 stars This Version is Missing Content!
A friend of mine showed me this series on DVD. I was so impressed I couldn't wait to purchase the Blu-Ray version and watch it at 1080p resolution. It turns out that not every scene is filmed in high definition, which is understandable given the conditions of some of the filming. What REALLY disappointed me about this version, however, is that much of the content is...
Published on Feb. 12 2008 by R. Koett

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems with the blu-ray? horrid quality in some chapters..., Jan. 8 2009
J. Johnston - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Earth: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
My brother owns the progressive scan quality DVD of this set and watching it on my component cabled DVD player it was astounding on my 42" LG LCD 1080p. I loved it so much I thought "I need to have this!", but decided why get it in DVD format when I can one up it and go for the blu-ray. I even bought a blu-ray player and HDMI cable just in preparation for this set.

WOW it looks incredible!...until you get to a lower light shot. Something has happened in the transfer to the blu-ray and added SEVERE amounts of dark dark blue (sometimes grey) grain to low light shots. Now I realize not "all" the camera work is done in HD, which is fine, but these scenes looks WORSE on blu-ray than on DVD, how does that happen? The caves episode shows it the worst, some scenes have literal snow on them like partially opaque white noise, and some scenes LITERALLY look like one of those 10yr old VHS tapes with a show recorded from TV look to them. I mean it is absolutely undeniable how horrid some of it looks.

There's forums all over the net complaining about this from up to 2 yrs ago it seems. No idea if it's just -some- of the blu-rays or all of them, not sure if the BBC will recall it or what. But I am truly sad that the DVD version overall looks better than the blu-ray. Nothing worse than sitting down to pure eye-candy (and educational to boot) and switching scenes and thinking "wow am I watching this on UHF?".

For those thinking it may be my setup it's not, I'm watching this on an LG50 42" 1080p using a Sharp Aquous Blu-ray player with the most up-to-date firmware tranferring on a 4' HDMI gold cable. Every blu-ray I have is fine, save for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Stunning, Aug. 15 2009
M. Inkster (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Almost every shot in every episode of Planet Earth is a marvel. They manage to capture things on camera that have never been filmed before, and in some cases never been witnessed before. Equally fascinating is the "Planet Earth Diaries" segment that is featured at the end of each episode, which reveals the amount of painstaking work it took to garner some of the more unique shots. David Attenborough is the perfect narrator for this series (so I recommend not getting the US version, which is narrated by someone else).

If you don't have Planet Earth, you simply have to get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST own!, April 18 2008
Kevinn Ess (Sidney, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Earth: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is a disc set that must be purchased if you have a bluray player and HDTV. There are various cameras used, so the picture quality does vary a little bit, but overall, this is STUNNING. Great for all ages. Perfect demo material to show off your bluray player and or HDTV!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy on Amazon.COM, Oct. 5 2007
I bought this set for $69.95 on Amazon.Com.. It is an awesome documentary.

Do not buy it on Amazon.Ca who willingly charges you $30 more because you're Canadian.

5.0 out of 5 stars BluRay Purchase that Makes You Feel Good About Yourself, March 7 2009
B. Chen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Earth: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
So you had shelled out significant amount of your saving to an HDTV, and maybe some more for a bluray player. If you are still struggling with whether the purchase was really necessary, or in any way improved your overall entertainment experience? This would be the perfect remedy for you. Not only is the image so vivid that insect-hater would shy away, the content is even more educational that, I cannot find any good reason to regret my plant-earth decision. You will for sure feel much better about this bluray purchase than .. say a batman one (even though I like it).

4.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded version(s), Sept. 13 2011
Mark (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
To respond to the comment from Dave, these are an improved edition, both a special edition and limited edition. These add the behind-the-scenes shorts that were on the DVD version, which were lacking from the previous blu-ray release. Also Planet Earth: The Future was in the DVD set which will now be re-included in this set. They are purported to be on 50GB discs as well instead of the 25GB discs from the last release, it can be expected that these have upgraded PQ and AQ as well, since the original realease had some quality issues at first and were recalled.

I'm looking forward to this release and I'm glad I held out. I was looking at getting the UK blu-ray version as it was more complete than the north american version, but I found out it was in PAL format, only compatible with very few blu-ray players that can do PAL conversion, of which the PS3 is not included. Plus the Limited edition globe version looks great, would be a good conversation piece! :) If someone didn't want to go for that the special edition has a cardboard case and is less money.

More info is available below:

[...]

[Edit] Apparently this killed my link to Blu-ray dot com. Apologies for not checking back and spotting that. Funny that they killed that link, when Blu-ray is partnered with Amazon for live pricing and click-through revenue. Way to go Amazon, geez. So anyway if you do wish for more information on this product please search on the aforementioned site. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Family Viewing!!, Feb. 15 2009
Kelly Russell (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
We have kids who are 4, 7 and 9 and Planet Earth has provided us with hours of family entertainment. The filming is absolutely stunning and some of the sequences are clearing once-in-a-lifetime kinds of shots. The diaries at the end of every episode give details about how the amazing footage was captured which is really interesting and often, just as exciting as the episode itself. We all love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!, Jan. 14 2011
We bought this series for Christmas for our family of 4 young kids. It was our only gift since we and the kids have everything we need. (I absolutely didn't want anymore toys in this household). lol Anyway, we are loving these dvds. We're seeing things we've never seen before and are once again amazed by God's creation. Get these instead of all the useless movies that are out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best insight into Natural History - A masterpiece that is a staple for years to come, Aug. 31 2007
Varun Anipindi (Canada) - See all my reviews
Today's entertainment is global and numerous. Conservation and films on natural history have joined the race with hundreds of documentaries being made in any given year. Most if not all films of nature are magnificent, yet, there are occasionally some which captivate us as viewers with an immense sense of wonder that makes us proud to be the children of mother earth. That is a mark of an instant classic and it is exactly what the toil and effort that has been taken by the natural history unit at BBC has provided in this gem.

The planet earth series is without doubt a spectacular piece of art. Just looking at the crisp images of the rainforest, the very first images of the snow leopard in the wild is enough to give chills down the spine. The entire film is a way to escape reality, forget all the happenings of daily human life and to engage in the story of survival which he have modernised to a different extent compared to our fellow life forms.

I have to admit, I am an ardent supporter, follower and admirer of the great Sir David Attenborough. He is my idol, my inspiration. His soothing and calm voice is definately the voice of nature explaining the intimate qualities of life in the wilderness.

By this time, the reader of my review must have understood that I love this series and its a must watch. But, watching this under anything less than high definition doesn't do justice to the hard work of those camera crew. This is a series filmed fully in high definition and it is meant to be watched this way. This documentary is a must buy, a must watch and indeed a staple for future generations to show them how wonderful indeed is the world around us.

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD has more content than the Blu Ray..., Feb. 8 2009
B. Donlon (Kingston, Ontario) - See all my reviews
the Blu Ray version is stunning, and I really enjoyed it... But I bought a copy of the DVD version for my Grandma and there's a bunch more behind the scenes features on the DVD version that the Blu Ray version doesn't have... either way, this series is some of the best nature footage/info I've ever seen.

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

Planet Earth: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]
Planet Earth: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] by David Attenborough (Blu-ray - 2007)
CDN$ 124.98 CDN$ 79.38