5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS!!
Published on April 17 2007 by JC

2.0 out of 5 stars Going backwards
Published on June 10 2007 by WriterGrl

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Going backwards, June 10 2007
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
I'm really disappointed in Avril Lavigne in this album. It seems like she's gone from a tough, independant girl to someone who plays with boys and calls it self-respect. I loved "Let Go" and "Under My Skin". Sure, "The Best D--- Thing" has very catchy songs, I'll admit that. And I do love to sing along to them. But the only songs that I like that seem to have a positive attitude are "Keep Holding On" and "Innocence"...since they were both available on iTunes by themselves, there was no reason to buy the entire CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS!!, April 17 2007
JC (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Why would anyone buy the regular (clean) edition when they could get this deluxe edition w/dvd and explicit lyrics? This edition is the way to go with this album, which is fantastic! Every song is a lot of fun, incredibly catchy, and I love the cheerleader-esque vibe of a lot of the songs. It seems like the only weak link here is Keep Holding On (which I like also, but its just so cheesy). Anyone looking for a more grown up and mature Avril should look elsewhere, you won't like this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avril Lavigne delivers her best album. This album rocks!!, Aug. 10 2007
Avril Lavigne has scored with an impressive album. Keep Holding On is one of the best ballads on the album. When You're Gone is hauntingly beautiful and my only problem with this album is the loud single, Girlfriend, which managed reached #1 on the singles chart. It is a brilliant album from beginning to end and my only problem with this album is the song, Girlfriend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time To Grow Up, June 7 2009
Dave_42 "Dave_42" (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
If you like the song "Girlfriend" a lot, and I mean a whole lot, then the limited edition CD+DVD of "The Best Damn Thing" from Avril Lavigne is probably for you. Out of the 17 tracks on the CD, three of them are versions of "Girlfriend", and if that isn't enough, then you will also have three video versions on the DVD. For me, this was much too much in the way of "Girlfriend". No doubt it has a catchy tune and the cheerleader like cadence to it is somewhat appealing; but the lyrics are juvenile and mean spirited. I am sure there are many who like this piece, given how much airtime it received, but for me it is only so-so. The lyrics might have been okay when Avril Lavigne was 17 and fresh on the scene, but a 22-year-old should have put high-school behind her. This leaves me with a rather mixed reaction to the song, and that carries over to the whole CD+DVD set as well.

"The Best Damn Thing" is Avril Lavigne's third album, and was released on April 17th of 2007. The opening track is the aforementioned "Girlfriend", though since it is the "Mature" version it includes some rougher language than what one sometimes hears on the radio. The second track is "I Can Do Better" and the obvious retort is that she definitely can (and fortunately does) do better, starting with the very next track. "Runaway" is where the album begins for me; it is the kind of song you want to hear from her, and it makes the listener remember how nice it was to finally hear some pop music with a rock base to it as opposed to the dance oriented offerings of so many others., "The Best Damn Thing", and "When You're Gone" are two more strong tracks which help make the opening two pieces a distant memory. This brings us to "Everything Back but You". One might think that I wouldn't like this song after bashing "Girlfriend", but I find this to be one of the songs I like the most on this album. I suppose it is because she is the person wronged and so when she lets loose with the name calling it is more acceptable, and when it comes down to it, it is a flat out hilarious lyric.

The second half of the original album opens with "Hot". It is decent, though not quite up to the level of some of the other pieces, and in particular to that of "Innocence" which follows it. The album then hits a brick wall with the horrible "I Don't Have to Try", which is easily the worst song on the album. I can appreciate that she is trying different sounds and styles, but this one just doesn't work at all. Things improve with "One of Those Girls" though it isn't as strong as the earlier pieces - it is much better than "I Don't Have to Try". "Contagious" is roughly similar in quality as "One of Those Girls". "Keep Holding On" is a decent closer for the original album, but the flow which had developed from "Runaway" through "Innocence" had already been disrupted and was not restored.

There are five bonus tracks included; the first two are "Alone" and "I Will Be", both of which are solid additions to the album, and the latter being the better of the two. Next is an acoustic version of "I Can Do Better" which is much worse than the electric version, and one has to wonder why that particular track would have been selected for an acoustic version. The final two tracks are two additional versions of "Girlfriend", the first being The submarines' Time Warp '66 mix, and the second being the Dr. Luke remix with Lil Mama, the latter of the two being the more interesting of the two.

There are two sections on the DVD, the first is a series of live tracks including the wonderful "Everything Back but You", "Girlfriend" (of course), "Hot", and "When You're Gone". The second section is the videos, which includes "Girlfriend", "When You're Gone", "Hot", and (you guessed it) "Girlfriend" - the Dr. Luke remix version with Lil Mama.

With nearly a quarter of the selections on the CD and DVD combined being variations of "Girlfriend" it is no wonder that one might have had enough of it by the time one has made it to the end. I am sure that it appeals to an audience which buys a lot of CDs, and that is no doubt why it is featured so heavily. In my opinion that is a shame, because Avril Lavigne may well have much more to offer if she is allowed to develop and grow as a songwriter and performer. There have been promising signs on all her albums, and let us hope that she moves in a new direction before she finds herself singing songs like "Girlfriend" in her 30s and 40s to a bunch of people trying to recapture their youth. This is an uneven album, with highpoints as good as anything Avril has done, and then there are some moments which make one cringe inside. All-in-all it is slightly above average, though I have to round it down to three stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT buy - just for the b-sides, June 22 2008
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
It's been just over a year since Avril Lavigne's third album "The Best Damn Thing" hit the shelves, and although it didn't settle too well with some old-school Avril fans, it definitely is filled with the familiar Avril in your face power pop with catchy lyrics and fast guitar riffs.

This bonus edition, featuring two b-sides that never made the final cut "Alone" and "I Will Be" are BOTH amazing songs. It's a shame they never made the final cut. "Alone" is Avril in her prime, has a bit more angst to it compared to the rest of her album. It would've fit perfectly on either of her previous albums.

"I Will Be" is now made popular by female pop sensation Leona Lewis. However, being as Avril was the original writer of the song. She released her own version for her fans. It's definitely more preferable than Lewis' version. She seemed to have overdone it, while Avril kept it "Avrilized" and sounds a bit more sincere with it.

Its kind of like the whole Dolly Parton/Whitney Houston fiasco with "I Will Always Love You"

One sings it from the heart, the other sings it to show off vocal capacity. I prefer the first choice.

The bonus DVD is a nice add on. Although I think they should've waited and put the music video for The Best Damn Thing on it as well.

The only downside to this album is the Girlfriend Remix featuring Lil Mama. No matter how much I love Avril, I will always cringe at that.

Oh, and the bonus acoustic version of I Can Do Better is awesome. Im waiting for the day Avril releases all her acoustic versions of songs into one album.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Best Damn Thing ... Not, Aug. 13 2007
Qian Song - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
After the maturing of Avril, I expected golden tracks. However, it feels as if the Avril we knew was gone. I am more than okay with change, since I love Madonna and she changes all the time. But unlike Madonna, it doesn't feels as if Avril changed and matured. Instead, she started over again, and it just doesn't impress.

Album Cover: 2.5/5
This album cover is... strange. The background does not fit with the logo, and Avril's clothes make her look like a clown. Her expression suggests major photoshop gone wrong, but the logo is excellent.

1. Girlfriend: 4/5
Anyone who thinks this song is not catchy is lying, but Avril message, the one where the more beautiful girls get everything, is killing the self-esteem of growing girls everywhere. Also, the lyrics sound immature and it almost sounds exactly like "I Want To Be Your Boyfriend", which goes "Hey/Hey/You/You/I want ti be your boyfriend". Similar, eh?

2. I Can Do Better: 2.5/5
The first few listens are okay, but then it gets annoying and bitchy, which is not very good.

3. Runaway: 3/5
This is better than ICDB, but it still gets annoying fast.

4. The Best Damn Thing: 2/5
I am yawning as I listen to this song. Full of cheerleading shouts and screams, this will not appeal to anyone but pre-teen girls.

5. When You're Gone: 3.5/5
This is a very well-crafted ballad, and the piano is awesome, but Avril gets shouty in the bridge of the song that makes me have a major headache. This would sound a lot better if someone else sang it.

6. Everything Back But You: 2/5
Yelling, screaming, fighting, etc.

7. Hot: 3/5
Auto-tuned vocals, great beat, okay lyrics and a great melody with cheesy lyrics. YAWN.

8. Innocence: 3/5
Using the same effect to make this voice thin but high like the one in Mariah's "Through The Rain", this song is innocent and boring, but has a great melody.

9. I Don't Have To Try: 2/5
More yelling, screaming and bitching.

10. One Of Those Girls: 2.5/5
A good message, but very very boring!

11. Contagious: 2/5
Even more yelling and shouty vocals. Hooray!

12. Keep Holding On: 3/5
This song has great melody and great vocals, but Avril just sounds a little bit too detached. Add that and the cheesy lyrics and you've got a well-crafted filler.

Overall Rating: 2/5

Since its release, this album has sold 4,000,000 copies worldwide.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best damn copy of the best damn thing, April 24 2008
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
where do i begin...this CD/DVD is amazing.....the live performances are adorable and well performed. All the video's thus far appear on DVD too....plus an extra video of girlfriend remix.....new songs & everything! Its really really good! Honestly! Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Fun!, April 18 2007
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
Avril Lavigne's weakness as a songwriter is what actually makes this album worthy of 4 stars. Confused? Let me share more.

Lavigne is a singer/songwriter who, on her past two releases, seems to find one melody and then stick to it for the entire album. "Let Go" was a great album with some free-spirited lyrics, but the majority of songs follow the same musical pattern and each song sounds a lot like the last. This trend continued with "Under My Skin." The unfortunate thing about her sophomore release, was that it was a really terrible melody that she was working with. As a fan of her first album, I felt "Under My Skin"'s repetitive sound (that lasted 12 tracks) was incredibly obnoxious by the time you reached the end of the album.

With Lavigne's third release, "The Best Damn Thing," she again falls into the trap of sticking to one melody for nearly every song. But surprisingly, the more upbeat Avril, has crafted a 12-track album that's incredibly infectious, fun, and exciting! It's one of those albums you can stick in your CD player (whether at home or in the car), turn up real loud, and just have a fun time rocking to.

Yes, the album is far from being a brilliant punk/rock album, but it's sound is captivating and catchy. It's the perfect summer album. Although I still feel that Lavigne has fallen short of the bar she set for herself with her debut "Let Go," "The Best Damn Thing" comes close and is a lot more fast-passed than any of her previous efforts. If you're looking for a fun album, this will work for you. If you want the more serious side of Lavigne, as featured on "Under My Skin," you'd best turn your attention elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avril branches out..., May 16 2014
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
This album affirms her femininity, independence ad confidence in herself in this album. Great to play this CD in the car at full volume down the highway.

5.0 out of 5 stars AVRIL LAVIGNE, Jan. 22 2014
I got it today n cant stop playing it, Avril did a good job and I love every song :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Best Damn Thing
The Best Damn Thing by Avril Lavigne (Audio CD - 2007)