5.0 out of 5 stars 101 stress relief
I have to say with a film based on Stephen King writing and starring Johnny Depp and with a title like "Secret window" I was ready for a spooky Alice in Wonderland. What I got was a lesson in stress control and problem management. I will defiantly keep this film in mind if I ever find myself in a similar situation.

Mort Rainey (Johnny Depp) is a writer going...
Published 8 months ago by bernie

2.0 out of 5 stars Worse than I thought...and my sights were set low.
I wasn't really expecting much from this film, judging from the tepid previews. But being a very big fan of director-writer David Koepp's other projects, I at least thought it just might surpass my hopes and surprise me. Wrong!!!
Published on June 28 2004 by J. R. SOUTH

1.0 out of 5 stars Well hey there folks I've save you some time!, March 21 2014
This review is from: Secret Window (Bilingual) (DVD)
Well hey there folks I've save you some time! Johnny Depp's character is imagining everything the whole time and apparently he is hallucinating or something! Gee wilikers pass the popcorn!

5.0 out of 5 stars 101 stress relief, Nov. 18 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Secret Window (Blu-ray)

Mort Rainey (Johnny Depp) is a writer going through a divorce. He retreats to his cabin in the back woods to gather his thoughts and write his next book. There he is confronted by a clearly deranged visitor, John Shooter (John Turturro) who accuses Mort of plagiarizing; if Mort does not confess then John will get him and his little dog too.

How will Mort handle this? Will he get Shooter before getting shot? Will his divorce be settled in an amicable way?

One thing I found in common with Mort is I also like corn however I prefer it raw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Did It Again, Nov. 30 2012
This review is from: Secret Window (Bilingual) (DVD)
Based on a Stephen King novel, this is a thriller that twists and turns and you really get lost in it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worse than I thought...and my sights were set low., June 28 2004
J. R. SOUTH (Albany, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret Window (Bilingual) (DVD)
Why was this predictable, simple-minded Stephen King story produced as a movie? The first thing any intelligent person watching it will realize that the hick-character of "Shooter" (John Turturro) could not POSSIBLY be the writer he claims to be, and Rainey (Johnny Depp) is far too bright not to realize this from the outset. Then there's the age-old suspense film question: why doesn't the protagonist just LEAVE??? To make an audience buy into the victim's inablity to behave with plain old common sense, the suspense-horror genre requires strong writing, acting, and direction to make it believable. Koepp missed the boat this time.
You can figure out the plot of this turkey in the first 45 minutes, guaranteed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Depp makes the movie!, April 27 2004
T. L. Fentress (Bowling Green, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret Window (Bilingual) (DVD)
I have to wonder if this film would have been nearly as good without the likes of Johnny Depp in the key role of Mort Rainey.Thankfully we don't have to know. I have heard the phrase recently on the title of an article about Depp..."a little Depp will do ya" well, in this case, "a lotta Depp will do as well and quite well"! I became an instant fan of his and the movie after seeing his work in "Pirates of the Caribbean",but, it was this film that made me truly appreciate what a gifted actor Depp truly is and it forced me to go back and rewatch his other work I had seen and watch his work I had not seen. All of which I was never disappointed. Let me just say I loved this movie. I stayed intrigued throughout the entire film and the ending did surprise me unlike some other reviews I have read who seemed disappointed. Don't let the fact that it was only in theaters for 2 or 3 weeks fool you. Its very good. I had not read the book because I really don't care for much of Stephen King's books so maybe that was a plus for me...I don't know. But this movie I take exception to even though I understand there were a few changes. It was "based" on the novella though keep in mind. Depp commanded the screen which is good since there were many many scenes with just him or with him and his dog Chico. I was never bored watching him play Mort. He was quirky, strange, an unpredictable and at many times very very humorous. In fact I chuckled and laughed quite often and was thoroughly entertained as well.Isn't that why we usually see a movie? Depp spilled out his lines as if he really was Mort. This could have been a character you didn't like,but, you did like him..you couldn't help yourself. Depp became the character ,which he usually does in all of his films, and you believe him. I was on the edge of my seat many times and trying to figure things out throughout all of it and then was very surprised in the end, and, afterall..."all that really matters is the ending"! I think many will be pleasantly surprised when they view this. Don't go watching this expecting the book on screen there were changes and some have said they were glad there were. Watch this as another intriguing Depp film. I am constantly amazed at how it seems every single character this man plays is different from the last one unlike so many actors who keep playing the same type of role in movie after movie. This is a good film. I don't think you will be disappointed.Charles Dutton did a nice job as well. I love that guy and he always plays these interesting characters in films as well. Mario Bello and Tim Hutton were good although Depp just simply outshined them. The characters were necessay, but, this was Depp's film. I think you will like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Creepy Thriller, June 26 2004
Robert W. Kalteux (Seminole, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret Window (Bilingual) (DVD)
Johnny Depp stars in the movie, based on Stephen King's short story "Secret Window, Secret Garden". The movie starts with Depp's character walking in on his wife having an affair and he goes crazy. The story begins six months later. He is in the process of divorcing his wife and lives alone in a isolated cabin near a lake. Depp plays an author, Mort, and the movie starts slowly as he tries to write a story and talks to his dog. A stranger comes to the door claiming that Mort stole his story and Depp dismisses him. The guy keeps popping up and claiming Mort stole his story and violent things start to happen. Mort's dog is found dead, then his old house that his wife lives in is burned down. Mort tries to talk to a sheriff and hires a private investigator but still the mysterios stranger Jake Shooter continues to confront him. The movie doesn't sound special but it is well made with an excellent ending. The actors say on the behind the scenes footage that also comes on the DVD that as they read the script they were completely suprised by the ending. Mort is a very interesting and unusual character. He has become isolated since he and his wife seperated. He has weird dream scenes and is paranoid. He thinks to himself but refers to himself as you. He is a great character well played by Depp. This movie was unexpectedly good and one of the best movies of the year in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Depp's Best Performances on a Very Good Dvd!, June 22 2004
Monkdude (Hampton, Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret Window (Bilingual) (DVD)
I saw this movie in theater and liked it a lot, so it's no surprise that I went out and bought it today. It may not say Special Edition on the cover, but this Dvd has as many extras as most Deluxe Edtions. The Featurettes are interesting and informative and run over an hour combined. My favorite being the Secrets Revealed segment that really helps put certain things in place and make sense after viewing the film for the first time. Now to Mr. Johnny Depp! Depp has been one of my favorite actors long before Jack Sparrow came out into public view, and the performance as Mort in this little film ranks #2 of all his roles in my opinion (Right behind "Pirates of the Carribean" of couse). The supporting cast, direction, and music are very strong as well. It's just nice to see a thriller that takes its time to build up to the twisted conclusion, without the mindless gore (which at times is good) and the paper thin characters. The casual and huge Johnny Depp fans who enjoy a good psychological thriller should buy this one, everyone else should at least rent it to see what an amazing actor they have been missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all about the ending..nothing matters but the ending..., May 13 2004
Todd Dilley (Galion, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret Window (Bilingual) (DVD)
I thought "Secret Window" was a fantastic movie. Ebert & Ropert gave the film two thumbs up and I couldn't agree more. Johnny Depp plays the lead character Mort Rainey. Mort is a novel writer who is confronted by a man named John Shooter(John Tuturro). Shooter claims that Mort stole his story and ruined the ending to it. Shooter refuses to leave Mort alone until he fixes the ending of his story. Depp is outstanding in the movie and his performance alone is enough to recommend the movie. Some have claimed the film's pace to be too slow, but I feel it is very methodically and wonderfully paced.One of Depp's brilliant lines in the movie is " It's all about the ending. Nothing matters but the ending. And this one is very good...this one is perfect." I thought that line is an excellent description of the movie's great ending and "secret" twist. I will definitely be buying this DVD when it arrives on June 22. I also strongly recommend Depp in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Blow". Depp is outstanding in both films. Secret Window..some windows should never be opened..

5.0 out of 5 stars almost as god as two previous King adaptations,The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, (4.5/5), Feb. 2 2008
This review is from: Secret Window (Bilingual) (DVD)
though it is a very different movie than both of those.still,i liked
everything about it.it's suspenseful,thrilling and
unpredictable.plus,Johnny Depp gives a masterful performance,in my
opinion.the supporting cast is also great.John Turturro,Maria
Bello,Timothy Hutton and Charles S.Dutton all put in great
performances.i have only seen a handful of Stephen King adaptations,but
probably half of those have been unimpressive to me.like most king
movies,this one has its weirdness.nothing is straightforward or as it
seems.but i felt this one had a bit more depth of character and
story,which is refreshing.there are a few twists and turns and some red
herrings to lead you in the wrong direction.i was kept guessing to the
very end. i thought this movie was great,though like i said i didn't
like it quite as much as two previous King adaptations,such as The
Shawshank redemption and The Green Mile,which are masterpieces,in my
opinion.still,Secret Window is a right up there.for me,Secret Window is
a 4.5/5

2.0 out of 5 stars I love Johnny but..........., April 29 2006
This review is from: Secret Window (Bilingual) (DVD)
This movie is just boring, weird. I dont knowI almost follow sleep...... sorry Johnny

Secret Window [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
Secret Window [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) by David Koepp (Blu-ray - 2007)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 14.83