5.0 out of 5 stars John Wayne movies
I love all this man's movies and nobody has top him yet. All I can is say get the movies and see for yourself
Published 7 months ago by WIDOW61

3.0 out of 5 stars CHISUM - The Duke does it his own way! Again!
CHISUM is the kind of good, tough, old-fashioned western that Hollywood has apparently forgotten how to make. This film focuses on the Lincoln County land wars in New Mexico, featuring a look at the involvement of Billy the Kid. The performances are strong down the line, most notably John Wayne as John Chisum and Christopher George as "Sheriff" Dan Nodeen...
Published on March 16 2000 by Scott L. Mc Kinney III

5.0 out of 5 stars John Wayne movies, Dec 13 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Call Me When I'm Watching the Duke, March 22 2013
This review is from: Chisum (Bilingual) [Import] (DVD)
It's John Wayne what more needs to be said. He is the the best of the best pilgrim and that's final

5.0 out of 5 stars John Wayne, Feb. 27 2013
This review is from: Chisum (Bilingual) [Import] (DVD)
If you like John Wayne this is a great western movie. I would recommend this to everyone of all ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Duke Rides again, May 18 2004
This review is from: Chisum (DVD)
Ok, so the historical aspect is questionable, so what? This is classic John Wayne, good guys against bad guys, and predictably great until the final reel. I always felt they left the door open a little for a sequel, or moreover that this was placing a John Wayne bootprint on the story behind the story of the Lincoln County War. Whichever way, I thoroughly enjoy this every time I see it. Probably not one of the "GREAT" John Wayne westerns, and I'm being a little generous with 4 stars, but the transfer quality to DVD makes it worth it, although there isn't any extra stuff. Just under two hours, and a little violent for very young children, otherwise Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Western classic for your library, June 21 2003
D. L. Phillips "smdan" (Merriam, Ks United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chisum (DVD)
One of John Wayne's best Action Westerns. The acting is better than average and Ben Johnson actually talks in this movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Movie That Should Get More Then 5 Stars!, April 18 2003
This review is from: Chisum (VHS Tape)
OK, I am a John Wayne fan! I mean, there is not a movie of his that I do not like! I LOVE shoot em up movies and this is one of them!=) IF you have not seen any John Wayne movies, you have to see this one! It is a family film that everyone would like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wayne & McLaglen tackle the Lincoln County War, Feb. 5 2003
Chrijeff (Scranton, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chisum (VHS Tape)
Based upon historical fact, this film follows the famous range war in which Billy the Kid made his name, but chiefly from the viewpoint of aging cattle baron John Chisum (Wayne in the title role). It's 1878 in New Mexico Territory, and Chisum rides into the local town of Lincoln to meet his niece Sallie (Pamela McMyler) off the stage. His foreman and long-time Good Right Hand, Pepper (Ben Johnson practically stealing the movie--he should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor), remarks upon the many acquisitions being made by would-be real-estate magnate Lawrence J. Murphy (Tucker in a cheerfully malevolent role), but Chisum isn't looking for trouble. Still, he is inexorably drawn into the escalating situation when lawyer Alex McSween (Andrew Prine), whom Sallie befriended on the journey, finds it impossible to turn a blind eye to Murphy's machinations, and helps stake the idealistic Easterner to a store to run in competition with the one Murphy bought out from under its original owner. Not until his friend and neighbor, Britisher Henry Tunstall (Patric Knowles), is murdered on the road by two deputies of Murphy's hand-picked sheriff (Bruce Cabot), does Chisum's temper finally come unglued, and the story continues through the siege (canonical) of the McSween store by Murphy's forces, the shooting down of McSween in the street, and at last a classic brawl (in an ultimately burning building) between Chisum and Murphy that always reminds me of two old range bulls butting heads. As always, the supporting cast adds immeasureably to the movie: Geoffrey Deuel as Billy Bonney; Christopher George (who also played a villainous role in the Duke's "El Dorado") as his old enemy, gimpy, half-crazy bounty hunter Dan Nodeen; Richard Jaeckel as Jess Evans, with whom Billy once rode; Glenn Corbett as Billy's friend (and future killer) Pat Garrett. The mild liberties that are taken with history (such as Sallie's attraction to Billy) only serve to fill out the characters better. There's plenty of classic Old West action and a good score (Merle Haggard's vocal, "Turn Me Around," should be released on a retrospective of his songs), and Chisum is portrayed as a decent man who loves the land and wants the best for the people who live on it (interestingly, he isn't expected to carry a romantic relationship at all, though it's strongly hinted that he came close to marrying Sallie's mother). A solid entry to the Wayne oeuvre and one well worth your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE DUKE RULES, Jan. 26 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Chisum (VHS Tape)
When I saw another review of this movie I just could not let this guy "diss" the duke like this. I loved this movie, sure it has its flaws, but I found it to be very funny to the point that I was quoting it to my friends (much to their dismay). Anyway if you like a movie with a little humor along with the ruggedness of most cowboy/John Wayne movies, this is the one for you.
-Bobbie, 20

1.0 out of 5 stars Love John Wayne...hate this movie!, Jan. 2 2003
J. Hill (Xenia, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chisum (VHS Tape)
First, let me say..I am a HUGE John Wayne fan. I have most of his movies (especially the westerns) on VHS or DVD. I believe that he epitomizes the cowboy (and perhaps the American) persona and spirit. Having said this..I hated this movie. I found the characters plastic, the story flawed and predictable, and the history atrocious...I'll admit that many of the JW movies have their warts, especially one of my favorites, "BIG JAKE," but what they lack in polish, story and even "good" acting is usually more than compensated-for by the "true grit"(pun intended) of Wayne's performance. Not here...he is generally sidelined throughout this movie as sort of a community patriarch and observer..his performance just doesn't overcome the poor acting and storyline of this movie. I wish I liked it, but its my least favorite of all the JW films I have seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars What do we do, Mr. Chisum?, Feb. 7 2002
Abram Book (Elgin, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chisum (VHS Tape)
Chisum is a well-directed, well-acted western based on the 1878 Lincoln County War in New Mexico. Duke dominates the story, but Geoffrey Deuel gives an excellent performance as Billy the Kid, and Ben Johnson provides enjoyable comic relief as Chisum's foreman, James Pepper. The movie is even somewhat historically accurate, although Brady's successor as Sheriff was not named Dan Nodeen. Who cares? Good plot, enjoyable characters, and plenty of action make this a must for any John Wayne fan. There is one thing about this movie that puzzles me though, why would a fine young woman like Chisum's niece (played by Pamela McMyler) be interested in the affections of a killer like Billy the Kid?

Chisum (Bilingual) [Import]
Chisum (Bilingual) [Import] by Andrew V. McLaglen (DVD - 2007)
CDN$ 6.54