5.0 out of 5 stars The new prize of my kitchen
Published on Nov. 24 2011 by Kris

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!
After the first use...actually that was not even the first use per se. I just did the seasoning work, and then found the bottom surface of the wok began to warp - indicative of poor design or cheap material used. Now the wok cannot stay stable on my glass-top stove, which makes it difficult to distribute heat fast and evenly when cooking.
If you have a gas stove, I...
Published 12 months ago by Lenny.R

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The new prize of my kitchen, Nov. 24 2011
This review is from: Helen's Asian Kitchen Flat Bottom Carbon Steel 14-Inch Lidded Wok Set (Kitchen)
Everything started with my quest for healthier cookware, something that would not leak aluminium or other chemicals in my food. It happened fast and smoothly: I ordered this wok Sun and by Tue afternoon I had it in my kitchen already. Before purchasing it I didn't know anything about Eastern cookware, except that I loved the food. So I followed closely the instructions that come with the wok. The wok's preparation (seasoning) took a good couple of hours, but quality has its price, right? This is not the kind of cookware that one might keep in a immaculate and like-new condition after using it, or the kind that one would abandon in the dishwasher after using it. This is old-fashioned and traditional cookware for gourmands who enjoy cooking.
Cooking is way fast(er) and the wok is adaptable. Yesterday I cooked General Tao Chicken Wings in it. Great taste and very fast! Today I will probably try one of the recipes that come with the wok. If you prepare the wok thoroughly before the first use, you'll get a nice, natural nonstick coating.
Now I would like to leave behind all the modern, western cookware I have in my kitchen and replace it with carbon steel. I was afraid cooking in it was going to be challenging and sticky. Well, it's nothing of that sort. Thank you Helen. I am contemplating buying one of your cookbooks too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, Sept. 2 2013
If you have a gas stove, I guess it's OK to try this wok. But if yours is a glass-top one, I would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend it. For anyone who is from Asia and is looking for a good quality wok to be able to cook traditional Asian cuisine, try finding something else and DON"T waste your money on this wok!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but Warping, Dec 8 2012
I have had this Wok now for about a month and a half, and when it is properly seasoned it works great and overall I am impressed. That being said it is beginning to warp on the bottom so the heat isn't getting distributed as well as it was and it wobbles which is annoying. Would have been nicer if it was made a bit thicker to combat this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helen's Asian Kitchen Flat Bottom Carbon Steel Wok, May 18 2012
I was looking for a wok and looked on the Internet for sudgestions on what makes a good wok.
All recomended carbon steel as for material because it keeps and distributes the heat evenly.
You have to prepare the wok before cooking and I followed the instructions carefully.
After about fourthy five minutes, I was ready for my first try at cooking using only a little canola oil.
Their was no sticking and the food tasted just like my favorite chinese restaurant.

The wok is fourteen inches across with a large handle and a smaller handle on the other side. It comes with an alluminium cover and a wooden spatula.

I got the flat bottom model because I use an electric stove. If you have an open flame such as a gaz stove, you would be better off with the rounded bottom model.

Happy cooking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasted my pennies, June 16 2014
I was expected an actual non stick after doing the seasoning and after doing it over 10 times of seasoning and burning the pan
it sticks.

Next time I think of buying a wok I will get a ceramic one or one that does not require seasoning.

However, if you are chef enthusiast and like to season and clean it every single time by all means get it but if you are a busy person this will be a huge disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unusable pot with serious quality issues, June 9 2014
I only used the pot once and cleaned carefully with liquid detergent. On the second day I was astounded by the nasty yellowish scum formed on the inner surface of the pot. I thought someone used my pot without washing it properly. So I washed again with great careful (those yellowish scum is very hardly to be removed) and stored in the cupboard locked. On the third day, I found more yellowish scum appeared. Although I don't know the reason (maybe it's due to metal oxidation) for this, I'm pretty sure the pot is unusable and may cause health issues. Sadly that the refund period is passed, now I have to throw it into garbage pile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff !, May 14 2014
Good stuff, much larger than my old pan, now I can cook more food in one time. The cover is perfectly fit with the pan, boiling food well and it can save more energy and time. Love it, perfect pan for Chinese people who love cooking, like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, Feb. 4 2014
Arrived in two days. Quality product. Well made. While not as heavy gauged as traditional round woks, this product still has some good weight to it. Two thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Great Product!, Dec 24 2013
I love the design. The flat bottom works very good. It is the perfect size, those ones you see in the local department stores are to small to handle a proper stir-fry unless you're only cooking for two. Would recommend it to anyone who's serious about Asian cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, Dec 24 2013
This was a great deal for a decent quality wok and comes with lid and bamboo spatula. I had to burn off the factory coating using a propane torch as i do not currently have a gas stove.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›