5.0 out of 5 stars The new prize of my kitchen
Published on Nov. 24 2011 by Kris

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but Warping
I have had this Wok now for about a month and a half, and when it is properly seasoned it works great and overall I am impressed. That being said it is beginning to warp on the bottom so the heat isn't getting distributed as well as it was and it wobbles which is annoying. Would have been nicer if it was made a bit thicker to combat this.
Published 16 months ago by Tom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The new prize of my kitchen, Nov. 24 2011
This review is from: Helen's Asian Kitchen Flat Bottom Carbon Steel 14-Inch Lidded Wok Set (Kitchen)
Everything started with my quest for healthier cookware, something that would not leak aluminium or other chemicals in my food. It happened fast and smoothly: I ordered this wok Sun and by Tue afternoon I had it in my kitchen already. Before purchasing it I didn't know anything about Eastern cookware, except that I loved the food. So I followed closely the instructions that come with the wok. The wok's preparation (seasoning) took a good couple of hours, but quality has its price, right? This is not the kind of cookware that one might keep in a immaculate and like-new condition after using it, or the kind that one would abandon in the dishwasher after using it. This is old-fashioned and traditional cookware for gourmands who enjoy cooking.
Cooking is way fast(er) and the wok is adaptable. Yesterday I cooked General Tao Chicken Wings in it. Great taste and very fast! Today I will probably try one of the recipes that come with the wok. If you prepare the wok thoroughly before the first use, you'll get a nice, natural nonstick coating.
Now I would like to leave behind all the modern, western cookware I have in my kitchen and replace it with carbon steel. I was afraid cooking in it was going to be challenging and sticky. Well, it's nothing of that sort. Thank you Helen. I am contemplating buying one of your cookbooks too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, Sept. 2 2013
After the first use...actually that was not even the first use per se. I just did the seasoning work, and then found the bottom surface of the wok began to warp - indicative of poor design or cheap material used. Now the wok cannot stay stable on my glass-top stove, which makes it difficult to distribute heat fast and evenly when cooking.
If you have a gas stove, I guess it's OK to try this wok. But if yours is a glass-top one, I would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend it. For anyone who is from Asia and is looking for a good quality wok to be able to cook traditional Asian cuisine, try finding something else and DON"T waste your money on this wok!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but Warping, Dec 8 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Helen's Asian Kitchen Flat Bottom Carbon Steel Wok, May 18 2012
I was looking for a wok and looked on the Internet for sudgestions on what makes a good wok.
All recomended carbon steel as for material because it keeps and distributes the heat evenly.
You have to prepare the wok before cooking and I followed the instructions carefully.
After about fourthy five minutes, I was ready for my first try at cooking using only a little canola oil.
Their was no sticking and the food tasted just like my favorite chinese restaurant.

The wok is fourteen inches across with a large handle and a smaller handle on the other side. It comes with an alluminium cover and a wooden spatula.

I got the flat bottom model because I use an electric stove. If you have an open flame such as a gaz stove, you would be better off with the rounded bottom model.

Happy cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, Feb. 4 2014
Arrived in two days. Quality product. Well made. While not as heavy gauged as traditional round woks, this product still has some good weight to it. Two thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Great Product!, Dec 24 2013
I love the design. The flat bottom works very good. It is the perfect size, those ones you see in the local department stores are to small to handle a proper stir-fry unless you're only cooking for two. Would recommend it to anyone who's serious about Asian cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, Dec 24 2013
This was a great deal for a decent quality wok and comes with lid and bamboo spatula. I had to burn off the factory coating using a propane torch as i do not currently have a gas stove.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome wok., Dec 13 2013
Wok can I say? Other than to say that this is awesome.

Do yourself a favor and search youtube for videos on seasoning woks. I followed one which used this exact wok and it turned out great.

Just be aware that this wok is fairly heavy. You've probably watched some videos where the chefs are tossing their fried rice and vegetables with ease. Although it's possible with this wok, it'll require quite a bit of wrist strength. But that's the payoff for a large wok which can cook a large batch of food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice hot pan, Oct. 30 2013
The only thing I didn't like about it is that the lid doesn't fit sug. Other than that everything is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, Oct. 12 2013
D. Opperwall - See all my reviews
This is a nice flat-bottom wok perfect for North American stoves, gas or electric. The wok is light-gauge spun carbon steel, quality is good all around. The helper handle is handy. The wok heats quickly and evenly and is a pleasure to cook with. Purchasing the set (with lid) is a very good idea - the included is light, fits well, and makes the wok more useful for steaming etc. The lid also gives the wok an attractive look as a serving dish straight from the stove.

As with all carbon steel woks, you will have to season it prior to its first use. Instructions for this are included, and other tips can easily be found on the web.

Two negatives keeping this from a five star rating. First, the coating that comes on all new woks seemed particularly difficult to remove, and it is also quite hard to tell whether you have gotten it all off. This is a perennial problem with carbon steel woks, but this one seemed particularly difficult. Second, when positioned normally the primary wooden handle has a very large and unsightly logo on it. This would have been grounds for a very serious downgrade in rating from me as it makes the wok look more like a cheap advertisement than a kitchen tool. However, the handle can easily be reversed so that the logo is below the handle and thus mostly invisible - this fact saved me from some serious disappointment, especially since the photos do not really show the big logo on the handle.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›