5.0 out of 5 stars The new prize of my kitchen
Published on Nov. 24 2011 by Kris

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but Warping
I have had this Wok now for about a month and a half, and when it is properly seasoned it works great and overall I am impressed. That being said it is beginning to warp on the bottom so the heat isn't getting distributed as well as it was and it wobbles which is annoying. Would have been nicer if it was made a bit thicker to combat this.
Published on Dec 8 2012 by Tom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The new prize of my kitchen, Nov. 24 2011
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Helen Chen's Asian Kitchen 14-inch Carbon Steel Flat Bottom Lidded Wok Set (Kitchen)
Everything started with my quest for healthier cookware, something that would not leak aluminium or other chemicals in my food. It happened fast and smoothly: I ordered this wok Sun and by Tue afternoon I had it in my kitchen already. Before purchasing it I didn't know anything about Eastern cookware, except that I loved the food. So I followed closely the instructions that come with the wok. The wok's preparation (seasoning) took a good couple of hours, but quality has its price, right? This is not the kind of cookware that one might keep in a immaculate and like-new condition after using it, or the kind that one would abandon in the dishwasher after using it. This is old-fashioned and traditional cookware for gourmands who enjoy cooking.
Cooking is way fast(er) and the wok is adaptable. Yesterday I cooked General Tao Chicken Wings in it. Great taste and very fast! Today I will probably try one of the recipes that come with the wok. If you prepare the wok thoroughly before the first use, you'll get a nice, natural nonstick coating.
Now I would like to leave behind all the modern, western cookware I have in my kitchen and replace it with carbon steel. I was afraid cooking in it was going to be challenging and sticky. Well, it's nothing of that sort. Thank you Helen. I am contemplating buying one of your cookbooks too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helen's Asian Kitchen Flat Bottom Carbon Steel Wok, May 18 2012
Audiocus - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I was looking for a wok and looked on the Internet for sudgestions on what makes a good wok.
All recomended carbon steel as for material because it keeps and distributes the heat evenly.
You have to prepare the wok before cooking and I followed the instructions carefully.
After about fourthy five minutes, I was ready for my first try at cooking using only a little canola oil.
Their was no sticking and the food tasted just like my favorite chinese restaurant.

The wok is fourteen inches across with a large handle and a smaller handle on the other side. It comes with an alluminium cover and a wooden spatula.

I got the flat bottom model because I use an electric stove. If you have an open flame such as a gaz stove, you would be better off with the rounded bottom model.

Happy cooking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but Warping, Dec 8 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, Oct. 12 2013
D. Opperwall - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This is a nice flat-bottom wok perfect for North American stoves, gas or electric. The wok is light-gauge spun carbon steel, quality is good all around. The helper handle is handy. The wok heats quickly and evenly and is a pleasure to cook with. Purchasing the set (with lid) is a very good idea - the included is light, fits well, and makes the wok more useful for steaming etc. The lid also gives the wok an attractive look as a serving dish straight from the stove.

As with all carbon steel woks, you will have to season it prior to its first use. Instructions for this are included, and other tips can easily be found on the web.

Two negatives keeping this from a five star rating. First, the coating that comes on all new woks seemed particularly difficult to remove, and it is also quite hard to tell whether you have gotten it all off. This is a perennial problem with carbon steel woks, but this one seemed particularly difficult. Second, when positioned normally the primary wooden handle has a very large and unsightly logo on it. This would have been grounds for a very serious downgrade in rating from me as it makes the wok look more like a cheap advertisement than a kitchen tool. However, the handle can easily be reversed so that the logo is below the handle and thus mostly invisible - this fact saved me from some serious disappointment, especially since the photos do not really show the big logo on the handle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Helen's Aisian Kitchen Wok!, May 26 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I was looking for a reasonably priced wok, and this fits the bill. The size is ideal for a family of four, or more, as it is quite deep.

Very reasonable price - you really dont need to pay a lot for a Wok - ask any Chinese cook! - I did make sure it was seasoned well before use, this is very important and I did it at least four times. It leaves a nice dark surface on which to cook. After cooking just wipe off the residue, with paper towels, I have not put it into water since I bought it as this ruins the 'seasoning'.

It cooked ingredients well on my flat-top ceramic stove and the lid is great you can steam veggies and dumplings with it, as it fits nicely.

I loved the fact that the handle can be unscrewed, it arrived in the post like that and it makes for easy storing once the handle is taken off and it fits in my saucepan cupboard.

Very pleased and I saved a lot on a simple, stylish item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wok, Oct. 28 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Great wok that is very sturdy. Have no complaints and is my new favorite thing to cook in. Season it as per the instructions or go on youtube and you won't be disappointed. By the time you are finished seasoning it, the inside should look black. This is what prevents rust and creates the non stick surface.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good product ..., Sept. 6 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
It has taken awhile, but the carbon steel has formed a nice dark patina and now cooks basically non-stick while contributing that lovely bit of extra flavour to anything I cook. I lover to make Singapore Rice Noodles in this thing and I must say that it is very friendly to the ceramic stove because of the flat bottom. I bought and use a steel round perforated spoon for stir frying and it works just right in this Wok. All in all, a great buy in my opinion. I am knocking one star off just because it is clearly a bit cheap, but that's kind of what you want in a Wok ... heats and cools very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome wok., Dec 13 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Wok can I say? Other than to say that this is awesome.

Do yourself a favor and search youtube for videos on seasoning woks. I followed one which used this exact wok and it turned out great.

Just be aware that this wok is fairly heavy. You've probably watched some videos where the chefs are tossing their fried rice and vegetables with ease. Although it's possible with this wok, it'll require quite a bit of wrist strength. But that's the payoff for a large wok which can cook a large batch of food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me love stir frying all the more!, Feb. 1 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I owned a 10 inch before I decided to buy this one. I was learning to stir fry when I first owned the 10 inch wok. I was just cooking for myself and my husband. Then we began to invite family, friends and neighbors for dinners and so I thought of an additional bigger wok. My first 10 inch wok did not come with a lid but this one did which was wonderful! It also was big enough for my bamboo steamer to fit in. It heats up pretty quickly just in time to serve fresh, warm meals. I would simply say, buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality material, Nov. 21 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Warping. poor quality material. Bad for glasstop. Not recommended. Threw out after few months. I guess you get what you pay for.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›