5.0 out of 5 stars Miss movies like these
Published on Sept. 16 2003 by John La Rocca

3.0 out of 5 stars COULD HAVE BEEN MORE OUTRAGEOUS BUT STILL GOOD
Meatballs is THE film that launched tons of camping and teen sex imitators....unlike all its imitators, you actually care about the characters in the movie. Despite its reputation, Meatballs is comparably tame to its imitators, and there it lies its strength. None of the characters are such caricatures that you can actually identify with some of them. ALthough I have...
Published on July 16 2000 by Kendrik Lau

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Murray, July 18 2004
Patrick A. Stevens "Audio Enthusiast" (Shasta Lake, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meatballs (DVD)
I think there are two types of people in the world -- those who get Bill Murray and those who don't. For those of us who intrinsically get him, he simply has no peer when it comes to pulling off the kinds of comedic characters that he portrays. It's not so much about what he does, but who he is and how he presents the character that matters. As the head camp counselor "Tripper", Murray is funny but he is also so much more than funny: He gives the movie it's heart and humanity, without which, it would be nothing more than a series of sophomoric pranks. In my opinion, that is why this movie works when all of the others in the series are deplorable.
To be sure, this is one of the definitive "summer camp" movies of all time; just as Caddyshack is one of the greatest golf movies ever made. But for those who somehow just don't get Murray, there is little that can be said that will convince them to like either movie. Even with as much commercial success as he has had, I believe his comic genius is still way underrated. I have given this movie four stars because I reserve five star ratings exclussively for movies which I believe are exceptional, and because the transfer of this movie to DVD should have been handled with greater care. Otherwise, it's a solid movie with plenty of laughs and some tender moments as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss movies like these, Sept. 16 2003
John La Rocca (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meatballs (DVD)
These comedies are great. Great and fun humor. Yes, there was some toliet humor mixed in, but its so tame by today standards you don't even raise an eyebrow when you hear it. Bill Murray is one of my favorite comedians. When I was younger I saw this movie and then every movie after when I saw Murray I would say "Hey, its the guy from Meatballs." Even to this day I when I see him I remember Meatballs.
I with this movie would get a better treatment with the DVD. Its one of the best comedies ever. Actually, its a family comedy that you can watch with any age group. The adults will get the minor sex jokes, and the teenagers will too, but enjoy the rest. Kids will enjoy the fun of Bill Murray father like figure to one of the kids.
This is a must see comedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Summer Camp Movie Ever, April 28 2003
Steven D Agee (Hinkley Cold Storage, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meatballs (DVD)
As a person who spent many of my summers at camp I found this movie to be excellent. It also doesn't hurt that this movie stars Bill Murray...one of my favorites. I've owned this movie on VHS for many years now and have watched it numerous times. I just bought the DVD and noticed that the actual song titled "Meatballs" (originally written and performed by Rick Dees) is different than it is on the VHS version. The DVD version is actually sung (or more like halfway spoken/rapped) by Bill Murray himself. There is also about ten seconds of footage added at the end of the cafeteria scene that isn't on the VHS. Not much, but to a fan of the movie it's kind of cool. I wish the DVD had more features on it (like deleted scenes), but none the less this is still probably the best camp movie you could ask for.

5.0 out of 5 stars SOOOOOOOOOOO Funny!, Dec 28 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Meatballs (VHS Tape)
You probably think this movie is stupid and that it is just about meatballs. NO WAY! I'm not going to give this movie away, but it is about a sleep away camp. Crazy, funny, and serious things happen in this movie. If you are thinking about getting this movie don't click anywhere but the buy button. Buy it!! You'll love it till you die! For all ages

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Bill Murray's Best Movies!, Nov. 17 2002
This review is from: Meatballs (VHS Tape)
I saw Meatballs when I was about 14 years old and I loved it, partly because I was a big Saturday Night Live fan and I like Bill Murray but also because I thought it was a very funny movie that was cute, and yes parts of it were kind of lowbrow but it wasn't anything that was really bad. Bill Murray was hilarious and I also liked Morty played by Harvey Atkin and all the pratical jokes they played on him were quite funny! I have this on video and will replace it with the DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spaz & Fink Rule!!!!!!!!, Nov. 17 2002
AbeStreet (Willoughby, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meatballs (DVD)
I can hardly call this a great film but it is entertaining. In my case I, at the time this film was released, was the same age as some of the junior campers in the film. For me watching this film brings back the memories of my camp years. While some of the pranks that takes place in this movie, like carrying the camp director out in his bed and leaving him on the side of a road, strung up in the trees or out on a lake, are a bit over the top some of the other pranks are not. When I went to camp the campers and counselors pulled similar stunts such as running underwear up the flag pole, canoe battles and boys raiding the girls cabin. As I grew older I realized these night raids to the girls cabin that I participated in were carefully orchestrated by the counselors so that we wouldn't find the girls in embarrassing situations but at the time I thought it was real and it was fun. That's what MEATBALLS (MB) is.
MB captures not only the scenic beauty of camp surroundings but the beauty of being young and carefree. MB gives a great example of pre-teens, teens and young adults living their summer with no concerns other than guys hooking up with girls and girls hooking up with guys and booth having as much fun as they can before they head back to junior high & high school and college. The opening title song that goes "Are you ready for the summer?...no more homework no more books, no more teachers dirty looks..." describes exactly how summer is viewed by school kids.
I personally enjoyed the two campers Spaz and Fink. What boy, nerd or jock, didn't spend all camp trying to cozy up to some pretty girl camper? What guy didn't want to be accepted by the other campers and counselors? While these two characters are somewhat over the top I bet everybody who watches the film can't help but to like these two guys. These two characters are a mix of Charlie Brown from PEANUTS and Jack Tripper & Larry Dallas from THREE'S COMPANY. I would bet that most viewers even cheer for Spaz in the egg carrying competition and for Fink as he attempts to "beat the stomach" in the hot dog eating contest.
Lastly, this movie had normal looking kids and counselors. No super models for counselors or campers that wore trendy clothing. It is fun to just kick back and watch this film and remember when life was as fun as this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, but a classic nonetheless, April 12 2002
Virgil "vvarvel" (St. Joseph, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meatballs (DVD)
Bill Murray is basically this entire film. His character will make you laugh even if you are not a Bill Murray fan. He's as good as Caddyshack but with more screen time, but not as good as What About Bob.
Yes, it's also got a string of other more minor characters and the lead is shared by Chris Makepiece, whom everyone thought would become a star. But apparently after Mazes and Monsters he dropped off the face of the Earth. Chris' character was a little whiney which makes it difficult to root for him, but the underdog and rompy atmosphere of the second rate camp gets you rooting for everyone else.
With many oft quoted lines and several signature scenes such as Marty in a tree on his bed and Bill Murray leading the buses off on his motorbike, this is a must see movie. Personally, I put it on a must own list because I can watch it over and over, but some may not find the I'm a dufus but still get by humor as funny, therefore I give it a 4 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hardwares air conditioner, March 14 2002
Marilyn Monroe (LUCAS DIGITAL SAN RAFAEL CA ART DEPT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meatballs (VHS Tape)
"You animal, what are you doing" "Hooking up our new air conditioner!" "An air conditioner, where'd you get it!" "Morty's office! He loves the heat!" "Are you guys, ready! Are you guys ready!" "Okay, in five seconds, I'm talking five, we are gonna have the coolest cabin in the camp! O.K. 5......4......3.....2.....1do it! Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaash!............................"Hardware." "Ya, crocket." "Your a prick!"---------------------------

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Murray at his comic best, Feb. 25 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Meatballs (DVD)
Mr. Keogh's review of Meatballs misses the point so painfuly, there's really no reason to take it seriously. This movie is full of innocent fun and anyone who ever went to summer camp (even day camp) will find something heartwarming and memory-triggering when they watch. While most of the jokes are low-brow, not one is disgusting or truly offensive. Reitman and Murray were in peak form in 1979-- talented, unself-conscious, and obviously having a good time making this film. Enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate feel-good summer camp and late 1970's movie!, Jan. 21 2002
This review is from: Meatballs (VHS Tape)
'Meatballs' is one of my all-time favorite films. I can watch it repeatedly and never grow bored with or get tired of it. It works successfully on several different levels. It has some truly memorable funny moments, a lot of them. It also has some touching, moving and poignant ones, as well. Anyone who has ever been to summer camp, just camping or been a kid, will find much to identify with and relate to. I really don't understand why so many well-known film critics "reviewed" this warm and wonderful family film so harshly. I always feel good and upbeat when the film's end credits roll to a close, although I am always sorry and a little bit sad when it is over. Anyone who is looking for an entertaining, enjoyable and bright family film won't be disappointed. Anyone who loves summer and has wonderful memories of summers gone-by will enjoy 'Meatballs'. It is about having a good time, making friends, memories, being a kid, growing-up and saying goodbye. It is very realistic, especially for anyone who has ever had a wonderful time and been left with bittersweet memories of the day it all ends and you have to say goodbye to good friends. It is a real pity that the so-called sleazy and cheaply-made sequels chose to start off in the gutter and go downhill from there. Start and stay with this wonderful family comedy film and avoid the would-be and in name-only sequels. You won't be sorry. These later, cheap rip-offs didn't have Bill Murray or anything else that made this film so wonderful and most fortunately, none of them can possibly do anything to give this fine film a bad name or reputation. It has lasted and stood the test of time and stands sturdily on it's own merits and truly towers over any subsequent films that have very misleadingly used the name 'Meatballs' in their titles. Bill Murray has never been better or more natural. He must have had a great time making this film. The supporting cast of young and mostly unknown Canadian actors and actresses are bright, warm and appealing. Chris Makepeace really shines as 'Rudy', the lonely outcast befriended by 'Tripper Harrison' (Bill Murray}. The on-location filming at Camp White Pine in Haliburton, Ontario, Canada, really adds a lot of realism and believability to the film, as well. The management and staff of the summer camp reportedly were worried at the time of filming that Bill Murray would be a disruptive, corruptive and bad-influence on it's real-life campers! Do yourself a favor and don't miss seeing this truly great comedy. It will also evoke wonderful memories for anyone who grew up in the late 1970's, as I did. It is like making a wonderful trip to the past, one you won't want to see come to an end. See this wonderful film, you truly won't be sorry. It is still every bit as fresh, funny, entertaining and uplifting as the day it was first released. Please see 'Meatballs'. It might even make you long for being a kid, going to summer camp or just camping and growing-up again. I can guarantee that it will at least make you laugh and feel good. It is really a very special film. Please don't miss out on any opportunities to see it!

Meatballs (Special Edition) (Sous-titres français)
CDN$ 46.96