4.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy to use basic heart rate monitor
This is a simple to use basic heart rate monitor (HRM). It works well and is easy to use but has only basic heart rate monitor functions. It is a good HRM for the price.

Published on June 22 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars timex Men's heart rate monitor watch
Died atfer not even six months. After changing the battery, I could only read half of the digital numbers on the Watch, the other half were gone. Cheap product. Would not recommend this product. Garbage material.
Published 3 months ago by Kathleen

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy to use basic heart rate monitor, June 22 2011
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)

The Heart Rate Sensor Band is easy to put on and is comfortable to wear. The elastic band that holds it in place is adjustable over a good range of chest sizes. It appears that it would be possible to replace the elastic should it wear out or should a longer band be needed with elastic purchased at a sewing store and a little bit of stitching to fasten the attaching clips to the new elastic.

The Watch has a durable vinyl band, an easy to read LCD display and easy to press function buttons. It can function as a typical wrist watch and display the current time and date. The buttons and procedures for setting the watch and displaying HRM data are easy to understand and use. It does not have any additional watch features such as stopwatch, countdown timer or alarm.

A single button turns the heart rate monitor function on and off. The button must be held down to turn the HRM function off preventing accidentally turning the HRM off during an activity. Basic statistics are recorded and displayed for a single activity and are cleared each time the HRM function is turned on. The current heart rate is displayed during an activity. As well statistics for the duration of the activity, time within and outside of user set minimum and maximum heart rates, average heart rate during the activity, peak heart rate during the activity and estimated calories burned during the activity can be displayed. A one minute recovery period can also be timed and the drop in heart rate displayed. This basic HRM lacks additional functionality found in more expensive units such as the ability to pause an activity or to record lap and split data.

The batteries in both the Heart Rate Sensor Band and Watch are user replaceable. Also, both are waterproof to a depth of 30 meters (98 feet).

This is a good choice if all you need is a basic heart rate monitor that is comparatively inexpensive to buy and is accurate and reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Basic Heart Montor, April 16 2012
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
This monitor provides very good value for the price and works as advertised.
Pros:
- Watch portion is comfortable and not overly bulky
- Quite easy to setup, very easy to use when basic info is entered.
- 'Start' a workout with one button press
- Saves information from your workout so you can log it afterwards
- Able to set high and low targets with an alarm to let you know if you are out of acceptable ranges (important for cardiac rehab patients)
- Chest strap is fairly comfortable and non-intrusive
- Appears to provide accurate readings (compared to manual pulse taking).

Cons:
- No digital information transfer (for those looking to import data to a spreadsheet or program).
- Heart rate alarm tone is not very loud, might not be able to hear while wearing winter gear or bulky sports equipment(hockey).

Overall, this is a great monitor for the price (<$65 shipped) and provides a solid set of features without a lot of bells and whistles. The build quality of both the transmitter and receiver seems high and from what I can tell it is quite accurate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic, Good value, A few kinks, Oct. 17 2012
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
UPDATE (August 2014): After 22 months of 3x/week use, this HRM keeps on ticking. My fear about the rubber clasp has not materialized--it is still solid and flexible. Readings are not consistent if the chest strap is not tight, so check that regularly. The Reverse button for setting time is getting hard to work, but I just use the Forward button instead. For the price, I am VERY happy. If/when the battery fails, I will probably move up to a model that downloads workout results automatically.
****
Original review (October 2012):
I purchased this Timex HRM two months ago. It was shipped to Canada without delay or extra cost by Mr. Watch. I do not use it for road races and running, so the GPS tracking feature (and lap tracking), which would have cost quite a bit more, was not important to me. I use this basic model to track my heart rate in the gym and during hockey games. I cannot use it in the pool. I have shared my results with my doctor, and he is satisfied that my level of conditioning offsets any elevated readings (for my age) that I get.

- Practically, the watch was fairly easy to set up; the Weight and Height features, which are used to calculate the calories burned, were a little hard to find, but I got everything done in less than an hour.
- I have observed that the chest strap (sensor) does "tick" like old watches did; the noise bothers me when I'm trying to sleep, so I do not keep it beside my bed; the watch itself does not make any noise.
- I found the clasps on the strap a bit difficult to figure out; it's very solid once you attach it, but the two ties on either side of the sensor are a bit tricky to get on and off; it involves twisting to get the clip in and out, and I fear that the small hook tab that goes underneath will break off. I called Timex US to find out the cost of a replacement sensor strap (they were very efficient in shipping a replacement watchband for another Timex watch to Canada this summer). They informed me that a replacement strap is $15, plus $4.50 shipping after the warranty period of 1 year.
- I also have found that in hockey, given that I wear the watch under my gloves, the watch turns itself on and off occasionally, so I lose my readings (which I only discover after the game). Someone suggested that I may also be extending the watch beyond the sensor's range limitations, so it turns itself off when it loses the signal. I'm not sure, but turning the face of the watch inside my wrist and keeping the wrist band loose seems to work better. There has not been a problem when recording in the gym, except on free weight wrist curls where I have to be careful not to jam the On/Off button on my knee.
- The issue is design: the On/Off button is on the top of the watch, so when you push on it by curling the wrist or leaning against something, it turns off. Admittedly, turning Off the monitor does require a longer, sustained push, but turning it On takes only a short pressure(and it wipes out the readings of your previous session). So unfortunately, I have had occasions when I looked at my readings after exercise, then by accident the watch turned itself back on, and I lost my readings before I could transcribe them.
For the price, and as a first-time HRM user, I am very satisfied. If I were to buy another HRM, I would consider paying more for a model that shows the peaks and valleys of my heart rate throughout the exercise period (like a graph), and one that stores more than one session in memory and allows downloads to my computer. I knew that I was not getting these features when I bought it (no false expectations in the descriptions), it's just something that I've come to want as I use the tool. I might also check if other models have the On/Off button on the side instead of the front. I also miss the Timer and Alarm that I have on my other watch; as a result, I am always switching between two watches, and it might be more convenient to have all the features in one watch.

P.S. I also called Omron during my research and was surprised to find out that they do not sell ANY replacement parts for their HRM's. If anything breaks, it's garbage. Buyer beware!

1.0 out of 5 stars timex Men's heart rate monitor watch, June 1 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy so far, July 3 2014
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
I have been using it for around a week now, and I believe I have already experienced results. I used to always train fast and hard in an anaerobic state much of the time while running / biking, but I have begun doing aerobic / aerobic threshold training with this tool.

I am no expert, but I have 'read' that training in the aerobic state / or aerobic threshold, greatly benefits endurance athletes as it builds the aerobic engine which burns fat for fuel, so it is a level of exertion that can be sustained for longer periods of time than a more demanding anaerobic state, so I am giving this type of training a try (I am not saying however, that anaerobic efforts shouldn't be done as well depending on the training program). The aerobic state is determined by what your heart rate is, and this tool gives the necessary measurement for you to tell. The watch also comes with a little booklet which shows the different heart rate training zones by age etc., which can be used for reference. Otherwise there is plenty of information on the internet at what level a person should train at for whatever it is they are attempting to do.

I believe this product is really necessary in order to do train in at aerobic threshold / zone properly, as otherwise I don't know how someone would accurately be able to tell their heart rate, other than perhaps guessing by feel.

I highly recommend this for any endurance athlete, triathlon hopeful, or simply someone looking to build their aerobic system and grow their fitness level.

It comes with timers / clock / heart rate / calories burnt etc. (I haven't delved into all the settings, I'm mainly interested in the heart rate monitor and timer) The chest strap that is used to measure your heart rate is also comfortable, and can be pulled tight, it does not restrict breathing, and it also stays in place (on me).
I have small wrists, and it fits fine, it has a generous amount of holes.

It is also a reasonable price, I find.

Recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to use and doesn't seem accurate, June 11 2014
Nicolas Labbe - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
It is quite hard to use and not comfortable. Also, the results it gives doesn't seem accurate. I should have gone with a better product, preferably one that doesn,t require a chest strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timex Heart Monitor, May 14 2014
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
I bought this to assist me in exercising at home during and after cardiac rehab is done. It works very well, is easy to operate and very lightweight. When worn properly you forget its on!! Its a very good deal for the price and I've had no issues with it so far. The display is clear - even in sunlight - and the alarm/beeping option is nice to have for the target heart rate notification. (You can turn it on or off by preference).

Very Accurate - it is within 1 beat per minute on the B.P. machine when I'm doing blood pressure checks.

All-in-all, a good buy for a simple but very functional tool!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A+, April 27 2014
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
Great HRM if your looking for something simple to get the job done. Works flawless with no issue very happy with it

5.0 out of 5 stars good, Feb. 27 2014
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
I used it whenever I want to keep truck my exercises result. easy to apply on, love it . ..

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, Feb. 7 2014
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
Bought this to complement my spin bike activities and monitor heart rate. Works as expected and fairly easy to set up/use. It takes a little while sometimes to synch watch and chest strap (need to wet the back of the band and your chest where contact is made at the Timex sensor module on front)

Accuracy appears to be within 2-4 beats per minute.

Good bang for the buck