4.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy to use basic heart rate monitor
This is a simple to use basic heart rate monitor (HRM). It works well and is easy to use but has only basic heart rate monitor functions. It is a good HRM for the price.

Published on June 22 2011 by RalphG

2.0 out of 5 stars very deceiving product
Might take a very long time to start receiving the signal from the device.
May lose the signal of the device during the activity.
the first 10 minutes of recording the pulse show abnormal values that make the final results of the activity completely wrong.
Published 6 months ago by thierry Benoist d'Anthenay

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy to use basic heart rate monitor, June 22 2011
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)

The Heart Rate Sensor Band is easy to put on and is comfortable to wear. The elastic band that holds it in place is adjustable over a good range of chest sizes. It appears that it would be possible to replace the elastic should it wear out or should a longer band be needed with elastic purchased at a sewing store and a little bit of stitching to fasten the attaching clips to the new elastic.

The Watch has a durable vinyl band, an easy to read LCD display and easy to press function buttons. It can function as a typical wrist watch and display the current time and date. The buttons and procedures for setting the watch and displaying HRM data are easy to understand and use. It does not have any additional watch features such as stopwatch, countdown timer or alarm.

A single button turns the heart rate monitor function on and off. The button must be held down to turn the HRM function off preventing accidentally turning the HRM off during an activity. Basic statistics are recorded and displayed for a single activity and are cleared each time the HRM function is turned on. The current heart rate is displayed during an activity. As well statistics for the duration of the activity, time within and outside of user set minimum and maximum heart rates, average heart rate during the activity, peak heart rate during the activity and estimated calories burned during the activity can be displayed. A one minute recovery period can also be timed and the drop in heart rate displayed. This basic HRM lacks additional functionality found in more expensive units such as the ability to pause an activity or to record lap and split data.

The batteries in both the Heart Rate Sensor Band and Watch are user replaceable. Also, both are waterproof to a depth of 30 meters (98 feet).

This is a good choice if all you need is a basic heart rate monitor that is comparatively inexpensive to buy and is accurate and reliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic, Good value, A few kinks, Oct. 17 2012
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
I purchased this Timex HRM two months ago. It was shipped to Canada without delay or extra cost by Mr. Watch. I do not use it for road races and running, so the GPS tracking feature, which would have cost quite a bit more, was not important to me. I use this basic model to track my heart rate in the gym and during my hockey games. I cannot use it in the pool. I have shared my results with my doctor, and he is satisfied that my level of conditioning offsets any elevated readings (for my age) that I get.

- Practically, the watch was fairly easy to set up; the Weight and Height features, which are used to calculate the calories burned, were a little hard to find, but I got everything done in less than an hour.
- I have observed that the chest strap (sensor) does "tick" like old watches did; the noise bothers me when I'm trying to sleep, so I do not keep it beside my bed; the watch itself does not make any noise.
- I found the clasps on the strap a bit difficult to figure out; it's very solid once you attach it, but the two ties on either side of the sensor are a bit tricky to get on and off; it involves twisting to get the clip in and out, and I fear that the small hook tab that goes underneath will break off. I called Timex US to find out the cost of a replacement sensor strap (they were very efficient in shipping a replacement watchband for another Timex watch to Canada this summer). They informed me that a replacement strap is $15, plus $4.50 shipping after the warranty period of 1 year.
- I also have found that in hockey, given that I wear the watch under my gloves, the watch turns itself on and off occasionally, so I lose my readings (which I only discover after the game). Someone suggested that I may also be extending the watch beyond the sensor's range limitations, so it turns itself off when it loses the signal. I'm not sure, but turning the face of the watch inside my wrist and keeping the wrist band loose seems to work better. There has not been a problem when recording in the gym, except on free weight wrist curls where I have to be careful not to jam the On/Off button on my knee.
- The issue is design: the On/Off button is on the top of the watch, so when you push on it by curling the wrist or leaning against something, it turns off. Admittedly, turning Off the monitor does require a longer, sustained push, but turning it On takes only a short pressure(and it wipes out the readings of your previous session). So unfortunately, I have had occasions when I looked at my readings after exercise, then by accident the watch turned itself back on, and I lost my readings before I could transcribe them.
For the price, and as a first-time HRM user, I am very satisfied. If I were to buy another HRM, I would consider paying more for a model that shows the peaks and valleys of my heart rate throughout the exercise period (like a graph), and one that stores more than one session in memory and allows downloads to my computer. I knew that I was not getting these features when I bought it (no false expectations in the descriptions), it's just something that I've come to want as I use the tool. I might also check if other models have the On/Off button on the side instead of the front. I also miss the Timer and Alarm that I have on my other watch; as a result, I am always switching between two watches, and it might be more convenient to have all the features in one watch.

P.S. I also called Omron during my research and was surprised to find out that they do not sell ANY replacement parts for their HRM's. If anything breaks, it's garbage. Buyer beware!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Basic Heart Montor, April 16 2012
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
This monitor provides very good value for the price and works as advertised.
Pros:
- Watch portion is comfortable and not overly bulky
- Quite easy to setup, very easy to use when basic info is entered.
- 'Start' a workout with one button press
- Saves information from your workout so you can log it afterwards
- Able to set high and low targets with an alarm to let you know if you are out of acceptable ranges (important for cardiac rehab patients)
- Chest strap is fairly comfortable and non-intrusive
- Appears to provide accurate readings (compared to manual pulse taking).

Cons:
- No digital information transfer (for those looking to import data to a spreadsheet or program).
- Heart rate alarm tone is not very loud, might not be able to hear while wearing winter gear or bulky sports equipment(hockey).

Overall, this is a great monitor for the price (<$65 shipped) and provides a solid set of features without a lot of bells and whistles. The build quality of both the transmitter and receiver seems high and from what I can tell it is quite accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, Feb. 27 2014
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
I used it whenever I want to keep truck my exercises result. easy to apply on, love it . ..

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, Feb. 7 2014
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
Bought this to complement my spin bike activities and monitor heart rate. Works as expected and fairly easy to set up/use. It takes a little while sometimes to synch watch and chest strap (need to wet the back of the band and your chest where contact is made at the Timex sensor module on front)

Accuracy appears to be within 2-4 beats per minute.

Good bang for the buck

4.0 out of 5 stars value, Oct. 3 2013
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
For the cost, this item is easy to use and does what it is supposed to. Not quite as sophisticated as other models but if this does what you want, then it's good value

2.0 out of 5 stars very deceiving product, Sept. 25 2013
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
Might take a very long time to start receiving the signal from the device.
May lose the signal of the device during the activity.

4.0 out of 5 stars All Functions well done.., Sept. 14 2013
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
Watch has done all the advertised abilities. In my case the only thing would be to have thicker lettering as I need glasses for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Rate Monitor, April 16 2013
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
Works really well and shows consistent accurate heart rate. Works with the cardio machines at my gym, comfortable to wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart monitor watch, Feb. 11 2012
This review is from: Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5 (Sports)
Excellent product. Very easy to operate and accurate. A great help in measuring activities to see which ones burn the most calories

ARRAY(0xb3e60d80)