With the departure of childhood from this series, we enter the much more experimental world of the teen years. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban brings in the services of director Alfonso Cuaron, who uses his artistic style to usher in a new era for our heroes.

Published 22 months ago by Scoopriches

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT EXTENDED
Like most people, I bought all the Harry Potter movies on DVD as they came out. When I heard they were making extended editions of the films, I figured it was worth it to repurchase and upgrade to bluray. Unlike the first two films, this one is NOT an extended version of the film. The bonus features do include the deleted scenes but they are not reincorporated back...
Published on July 7 2011 by Bryan Perras

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban The Film: Alfonso's Touch, Sept. 28 2012
Scoopriches (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The sets, the feel, the texture, and the mythos get a major facelift here. All for the better since this is the story which moves everyone along into the journey to adulthood. I have heard some fans dislike this film, feeling the magic of what came before has been yanked out. They do not comprehend that this was J.K.'s plan from the start, and this design is being followed here as well.

I often wondered how the subtlety of Hermione's cramped schedule would be translated to the big screen. Hollywood does not always do well with this kind of story point, since they have no trust in the audience. While reading Prisoner, I figured out what Hermione was doing with time, and having her pop in and out of scenes, much to Ron's astonishment, was quite fun. It should be pointed out between time travel in Prisoner and a larger on the inside handbag in Hallows, I can now categorically state that Hermione is from Gallifrey. It all fits. And this would be the best fanfic ever.

I was also very happy with how Harry's newest toy, the map, is played out here. It does not feel like an actual printed map of the Muggle variety, but more like a three dimensional moving object. It's importance is major in this story, and it also comes about in the next several movies. Alfonso even uses the map as a motif for the wonderful end credits, which lent a definite Lord of the Rings quality to this entry.

J.K.'s fight the power theme, as I mentioned in my review of the book, helps bring about one of the most shocking scenes in the story. When Snape is deservedly blasted, it is an unsettling comeuppance. In the movie, I cheer. Snape was always a character I despised, with Alan Rickman portraying his sliminess particularly well. Seeing him getting zapped into unconscious was marvelous, even eliciting a cheer from me. We also get to see Snape looking ugly in a dress. Another reason I like Neville so much.

Of all the movies, Prisoner feels the most real to Harry Potter to me. Alfonso gives us so many wonderful times with this journey, helping J.K. get her vision to us. Thank you Alfonso, tis some magic you weaved for the Potterheads.

Scoopriches

5.0 out of 5 stars great price, Sept. 4 2013
for the price,a new movie at quater of the the cost, now have the complete collection of harry potter movies,fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 1 2014
Good item

5.0 out of 5 stars The Prisoner of Azkaban, March 3 2014
Very enjoyable movie complimenting the book nicely. Would highly recommend this to all age groups as our seven year old grandson has enjoyed it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Qualité exceptionnelle!, Jan. 30 2014
Vivez l'expérience Harry Potter sur Blu-ray! Une image vive et un son extraordinaire, et ce, pour un prix très abordable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and fast shipping, Jan. 16 2014
I ordered this disc along with the other 7 during the holiday season and it arrives quickly (within 3-4 days). The quality seems to be reasonable/as expected. Great price too!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, Jan. 8 2014
THOMAS J GOWDYK - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Very entertaining but then I am a Harry Potter fan, both books and the movies. The Blu-Ray just makes it that much better

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely, Nov. 19 2013
Absolutely !! I have completed my set now and can finally put the VHS away. I am very happy now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the movie, and the series, April 25 2013
Well what can I say that hasn't already been said about the Harry Potter series, and movies. The film was fantastic, it some how was one I was missing from my set.

It arrived before its due date, and is an amazing movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars dvd, Aug. 5 2012
got this because I happen to like shows like this..
going to purchase others in the series..
was very good