Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Cycling Tools minions

on May 24, 2011
I needed the best noise protection for flights I take to work on a BEECHCRAFT 1900D SERIES TURBOPROP which is a twin engine propeller driven 19 seat buzz bomb; so after reviews and owning the very compact PXC 250-II, which are suitable for the jet set, good for the cool look and accurate mid-range reproduction, they lacked the musicality and Bass response I craved. I purchased the Sennheiser PXC 450 NoiseGard Active Noise-Canceling Headphones. They are full sized cans but fold up into a bible sized case.
These guys really perform. With a realistic sound stage,and they actually define the source of the music well. you can hear the instrument position in the sound field. The Bass Mids and Top are all balanced well, and I was impressed with the nuances they brought out in songs. (I wished I had a better source than my iPod). the Noise Canceling was really, really good. the only time they wavered was upon takeoff where sitting between the roaring engines I was distracted by that ugly digital distortion for about 45 seconds till the engines were throttled back for the flight. The switches and button features on the headphones are intuitive, and easy to get used to. When I was on a CRJ jet the talk button when activated, was excellent to hear the Stewardess speak and was even surrealy hi-fi-ish. I am very happy with these headphones the extra coin I had to cough up is now well worth it.
on January 4, 2012
To the previous poster. There is an on/off switch for active noise cancelling on one of the cans that isn't apparent unless you are looking for it that makes all the difference in the world.

My first experience with Sennheiser started with my Asus Xonar Xense cans which did a great job of passively blocking out exterior noise so I figured these couldn't be any worse as they are nearly physically identical, less the microphone on the gaming set.

I have brought these into a retailer to try them side by side to QC15, QC3 and Dr. Dre Beats Pro on the same source. Noise cancelling is about the same as both of the Bose units and better than the Beats. The Beats has stronger base. Musically they are better than the competition, unless you like the base.

They are constructed far better than the other units mentioned here also.
on November 26, 2014
The cheap glued-on noise-canceling switch fell off of my barely used PXC-450 headphones. The Canadian repair service quoted $150 + shipping to fix it. You be the judge on if these headphones are worth the price.
Pure rip-off after sales support with cheap glue assembly of critical parts.
My expensive headphones are now garbage.
Photo attached.
review image
on December 1, 2009
I'm no expert and haven't tested many headphones, but these Sennheiser PXC 450 noise cancellation headphones are close to perfect for me. The sound is wonderful, they're comfortable, they fold easily and fit perfectly in the slim protective case and I love the fact that you can take out the battery when you don't need noise reduction and keep it in an elastic loop in the case (along with a spare). The Talk Through button works well, too. I haven't yet tried them on a flight (but bought them after using the standard iPod 'earbuds' on a flight in October), though I've purposefully tried them twice in loud environments with their 'NoiseGuard 2.0' and they handled the noise better than I thought they would (or could).

If I could make two "improvements" (i.e. in my view), it might be to have the volume control as a dial on the cord like the PXC 350 (dunno if there might be "issues" with this) and to include a small steel ring on the case to attach via clip or mini-carabiner to something else (for me; usually my over the shoulder computer case), though the carry strap does in fact work for that. It may be that other headphones sound better - though I haven't heard any that do - but the "travel aspect" along with really great sound sold me. Frankly, I have difficulty imagining better sound, but I haven't tried the $500 and up variety and I've not seen ones that are designed for travel in that range, anyway. These are very much worth buying.
on September 19, 2012
Previous poster says Grado PS-500 is far better headphone than PXC450. Hello !!
You are comparing apple to orange. Of course an open headphone will sound better, even SR80i which cost $99 will beat PXC450 in terms of Sound Quality.

Should know or stay in the same context when writing the review.

Ok, so here it my review.

First of all, PXC450 does not eliminate 90% of noise, from my experience maybe about 30% max. Story is different if you are on the plane, it will eliminate about 75%, then you play music it you will not hear jet engine at all.

I am an audiophile and I can say that sound quality from this headphone is about 4/10 relative to LCD2 which I rate about 8/10, same for HD800 8/10, T1 8/10 etc.
Monster beats are -10/10, Sr80i about 6/10, DT990 6.5/10 and so on. You get an idea.

Is it worth it ? yes I use this headphone more often than LCD2 because it's comfortable, and trust me you will appreciate it later. The material used in this can is petty good, not a cheap plastic like Bose or Beats products. I've been using this almost 2 years at least 20 hours a week and both drivers never failed.

Lastly, I want to say that stay away from Bose QC line, they are junk, I rate them 2/10 sound quality-wise. Trust me.
on December 24, 2013
I use these when I fly. They are great! Compact to carry and they block crying baby sounds and drunken passenger noises! (Sound great too!) What more could you ask for? Decent battery life and comfortable to wear the whole (5-6 hour) flight!
on November 16, 2011
There is much hype these days about noise cancelling headphones, and I must admit I had expectations in the PXC450's before I had actualy gotten my ears on a pair in a nearby store.

But I was greatly dissapointed when I placed the headphones on my ears and flipped the "On" switch. After all, Sennheiser claims the PXC450's eliminate 90% of ambiant noise. Frankly, in the store where I was, the only sound that was eliminated was some of the background noise. I could still here very distinctivly customer voices, tv's, phones, and other chit chat. In fact, this caused my ears to focus even more on these noises than before since they were not so much submerged with other background noises.

If you are travelling by car, plane, train, or by any other means, these headphones will not eliminate background noise to your liking: I suggest you try earplugs instead. They are much cheaper too!

If you are in the market for high quality headphones, either for listening to music on you iPod or computer, or for gaming purposes, I suggest you try out the new Grado PS-500's. No contest.