4.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Stars....but still one HOT element!!
This review is for the new "The Fifth Element:Ultimate Edition".
This new two disc set includes a wonderfully crisp transfer and an extra disc full of extras aimed to please.
Published on Jan. 31 2005 by Robert Badgley

3.0 out of 5 stars Dumb but entertaining...
"The Fifth Element" has so many illogical plot holes that eventually your brain stops noticing them. It'sd a dumb scifi epic that knows how dumb it is, and as a result it doesn't take itself seriously. With some good acting, bad acting, and a lot of bright colors, this is an entertaining way to spend a weekend evening.
In 1914, in anticipation of war the alien...
Published on April 1 2003 by E. A Solinas

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Stars....but still one HOT element!!, Jan. 31 2005
Robert Badgley (St Thomas,Ontario,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is for the new "The Fifth Element:Ultimate Edition".
I recall viewing this movie on VHS when it first came out and I am amazed at the difference in picture and especialy sound quality.I recall on the tape having a devil of a time understanding what the shape shifting alien marauders-for-hire were saying,but in this edition I understand every syllable quite clearly.
This is a movie I never tire of even after repeated viewings.It's one of those films that the best thing you can do is just sit back and let IT do the driving.It's a wild space/earth/alien/armageddon/pure evil vs pure good high adrenaine romp that never lets up when it gets going.
Cab driver Dallas(Willis) is an ex special forces member who is suddenly thrust into becoming the ersatz guardian of Leeloo(Jovovich) the pictures' title.It's a race against time to make sure she accomplishes her mission.....to save earth.The back story and the colourful characters that we meet along the way propel the movie along without stopping for a breath.
The main drawback of this set,and it isn't exactly a minor one,is its' issuance ONLY in DTS.There is NO Dolby 5:1 surround or any other sound options available at all in the menu which is highly unusual, as opposed to any DVD I've encountered so far which usually has mulitple options thereof.So please be warned to make sure your DVD player is able to play DTS encoded audio,as some older models may not be able to.This is something I have to manually adjust to everytime I play it,which can be annoying.
In concluding if the only-in-DTS sound is a problem then you will want to give this set a by-pass,which is why I have given this set a three and half star rating when it should have been higher.
But if the sound is no obstacle I recommend you pick up this highly entertaining two disk set which is the only way to own this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun film, gorgeous blu-ray, uncompressed audio, Dec 29 2009
Cheryl - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Fifth Element [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
The Fifth Element is a fun action film, comprised of vividly colourful and imaginative visuals which look fantastic on blu-ray. Thankfully, the audio is uncompressed (no excessively loud sound effects contrasted by super soft dialogue) - a feature I wish was noted in product description on all blu-rays. Also, as a bonus on this disc there is a sometimes-interesting trivia text track.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very cool movie, May 2 2004
Heather Heistand (WV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fifth Element (DVD)
I LOVE this movie. A definite must-see. I watched this movie for the first time with an ex-boyfriend and I just loved the feeling it gave me. We were watching this movie about the meaning of love and happiness and why Earth should continue to exist...which is for love. It was recently on TV (3 years after I saw it with my boyfriend) and I was so excited that it was on I couldn't do anything else. This movie just always makes me feel so good about life and love...and myself. Definitely a movie that I could watch 100 times in a row and still want to watch again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fifth Element: Sci Fi Classic Of 1997, June 7 2004
Rudy Avila "Saint Seiya" (Lennox, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
The 90's will be remembered fondly for its many special effects masterpieces of action/adventure such as this highly entertaining film starring Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Milla Jovovitch and Chris Tucker. About a year earlier, in 1996, the blockbuster Independence Day took the world by storm and made it big at the box office. This over-the-top sci-fi fantasy is at times bordering on comic book style or reminiscent of the hit Sci Fi channel cable show FarScape. It's composed of a lot of stunning visuals, special effects and a tongue-in-cheek script. Bruce Willis stars as Corbin Dallas, a taxi-cab driver in a futuristic New York City whose flying cars are still causing an immense amount of traffic. He happens to be caught in a great battle- the perfect woman, a god (Milla Jovovitch)must save Earth from destruction by the collision of another planet and from the devilish Zorg (Gary Oldman). Bruce Willis pairs up with the comedic Chris Tucker who plays a wild, comedic radio host who dresses mostly in drag but is a ladies' man. A lot of good scenes and comic writing. Corbin's mother seems to be constantly annoying him and nagging him. The scene in the space cruise in which an alien soprano diva entertains the audiences in the theatre is also superb. The diva sings the aria of the Mad Scene in Donizetti's Lucia Di Lammermoor and later begins to sing a pop/techno alien sort of remix. She was dubbed by the soprano Inva Mulla. This movie is becoming a sort of campy classic of science fiction from the 90's, and is not as serious-minded as Independence Day. But it's enjoyable cinema. On DVD, and particularily on this Superbit Collection, the sound is incredibly restored and the bonus features are worth viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Superbit version!, Jan. 20 2003
Joe Vanderbilt (Irving, TX United States) - See all my reviews
First, I owned the original non-Superbit version and watched it on my 35" non-HDTV. I thought it was an excellent film with a little bit of something in there for everyone: action, adventure, romance, comedy. To this day, even after having watched it at least 50 times, the roach scene still makes me laugh.
The acting was excellent, too. Every one of the actors played their parts with character. Nobody overacted or got melodramatic, something I absolutely hate. They all stood out, they all made you feel something different, but they didn't overdo it. Gary Oldman, Ian Holm (and his apprentice), Milla Jovovich, they were all excellent. Bruce Willis, surprisingly, didn't overplay his tough-guy act, no doubt because Luc Besson held him on a leash the entire time. I see alot of complaints about Chris Rock's part, but I just took his bit for what it was: a talk show / variety host that has evolved over 300+ years to doing whatever is necessary to get ratings, which in this case means acting like a complete fool.
Later, I came to own a 73" HDTV, still using the non-Superbit version. My main gripe, not with this DVD but with my DVD collection in general - on a TV that size and with that detail, is that the mpeg compression artifacts suddenly start to become very obvious. They're fairly invisible on the 35" but are distractingly obvious now. The edges of colors tend to "bleed" into one another sometimes, too.
Finally, I watch the the Superbit version of Fifth Element. No more mpeg artifacts. Everything about this DVD looks better. I was expecting an improvement, but nothing like this. The whisps of steam coming from the ship in the opening scene, the off-in-the-distance detail of the chase scene in the city with the sparks coming off of Korben's taxi, the detail of the explosions on the cruise ship, etc etc etc. No mpeg artifacts at all there, artifacts that were clearly visible on the non-Superbit version.
There are, of course, no extras, but with a picture like this I don't care. I only wish every DVD could look this good. Sadly, it will probably be some time before they do since a) the detail of a Superbit version might be harder to see on a smaller TV which leads to b) instead a more detailed picture, most people want extras instead, so that's what the studios give them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fifth Element (Blu-ray), Oct. 6 2009
Oh my my!!
What eye candy! This movie brings the old style adventure sci-fi pictures into an exciting modern version with of course better effects and what props! The scenes were absolutely gorgeous. The space liner had an astounding interior. Beson, is unbeatable when it comes to showing off his vision of antiquity in a modern setting. An absolute marvel. Let me not forget the acting, was way above board for everyone including the secondary rolls. Get this one because seeing it once is not enough. Whether blu-ray or standard DVD it's astounding. Antonio Di Donato.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Breathtaking, July 7 2010
This review is from: The Fifth Element [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
What can I say. It is BluRay. Watching this movie with it's vivid colors and snappy action in Bluray played from a Pioneer player to a 60" Sharp LCD flat panel tv is simply breathtaking. Aside from the storyline, the playback is awesome. The movie is pretty good also. I am not a film critic, so all I can say is WOW to the picture quality, and "I liked it" to the movie. It has lots of action, lots of strange looking people, lots of quirks and a satisfactory ending. But the picture quality is fantastic. I have not yet watched it on my 100" screen, but will soon. I will get back to you on that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Over-the-top Sci-fi., Feb. 5 2004
D. Knouse (vancouver, washington United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fifth Element (DVD)
This film is a cross between "Blade Runner" and "Flash Gordon." It has the slick special effects and subtley smart script of the first mixed with the over-the-top look and complete campiness of the second. But what makes this fun to watch more times are the ridiculous antics of all the characters with their overacting, brilliantly stupid costumes, and really bad haircuts. Bruce Willis reprises his "Die Hard" role this time in an expensive sci-fi setting and he pulls off the action hero well. What's great about Bruce Willis is that he is the underrated "every-guy" caught in an amazing situation; and unlike most hero-types who never get hurt during the course of their adventure, Mr. Willis once again takes some bloody shots. But he emerges smiling in the end, albeit covered with grit, draped in torn clothing stained in his enemy's blood. This is also a perfect fit for Milla Jovovich. Unlike the appalling "The Messenger" in which her overacting was so bad as to be laughable, here it melds well with the overall campy feel of the movie. Gary Oldman is very nearly too much even for this extravaganza, but eventually can be forgiven for trying too hard. While Chris Tucker steals every scene he is in. Whether that is a good thing or not depends on the viewer. The first time I saw this, in the theater, I was rolling my eyes at his painful performance. But every time since I've laughed at his work here repeatedly. What was a personally nice surprise here was Ian Holm who plays Priest Cornelius. It's truly a rare film to find him using his comic talents. Most times he is playing Shakespearean types or other pompous British characters. Here, however, he is very funny. This film cost $60 million to make, and the special effects were worth every penny. Just remember that this is, in essence, a comical sci-fi adventure story, and really shouldn't be taken seriously. Later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent movie plus excellent background music too!, Jan. 18 2004
"The Fifth Element" is an astonishing achievement in science Fiction moviemaking that at least in my opinion, hasn't been seen in many years. 1997 wasn't the greatest year for movies in my opinion. There was the awful "Batman & Robin" and other forgettable films but "The Fifth Element" was and still is a groundbreaking movie that still succeeds in entertaining yet also meaningful. Perhaps there are more than four elements, even if the fifth isn't what the movie says it is.
The movie begins in Egypt in the year 1914. An English archaeologist is examining the mysteries behind the prophecy of a force of evil that converges every 5000 years and the key to defeating this evil is forgotten by almost all except for an elderly Egyptian priest. During the confrontation between the elderly Egyptian priest and the English archaeologist, a huge spacecraft lands right at the entrance to the pyramids to take four stones representing the four elements air, earth, fire and water to keep safe from the force of evil that is gaining strength. The extraterrestrial beings depart Earth with the stones and the priest has made his promise to fulfill his destiny and pass down his knowledge to his descendants. 345 years later, the priest himself has long since passed away but his descendant Vito Cornelius knows of the fifth element and where it is. The aliens who left Earth 345 years earlier return to the earth to bring the Fifth Element but the ship is attacked and crashes onto earth, killing all but one of the alien species.
On another note, a disgruntled cab driver named Korbin Dallas who drives a Taxi in New City in the year 2259 is having another miserable day after a really bad dream he had. Things though just get more and more aggravating until it culminates with a 'being' crashing through the roof of his cab. It turns out that the 'passenger' who crashed through the roof of his cab is the 'Divine Being', the one who can stop evil from destroying all forms of life on Earth. However, a traitorous arts designer named Jean Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg is also after the four stones of the elements in order to gain more power. The evil is now approaching earth and time is running out for Korbin, Leeloo and crew to save Earth from total annihilation.
"The Fifth Element" ranks as among one of my favorite science-fiction movies of all time. The various shots of a futuristic New York City are just utterly amazing. It almost makes me wish that I could live for 400 more years just to tryout life in that time period. The special effects are also stunningly well done and not excessive.
Bruce Willis, who I remember the most through the "Die Hard" movie trilogy, is in fact at his best outside of the trilogy movies I just mentioned in "The Fifth Element". His character Korban Dallas comes off as being dramatic, disgruntled, and totally grumpy yet also funny and warm-hearted at the same time. Chris Tucker cuts both ways in my opinion. For years I thought that his character Rudy Rhod just simply ruined parts of the film with the annoying whining and scaredy-cat but today, I can appreciate him a lot more and is in fact, quite funny and great comic relief. I have no hard feelings against Rhod anymore. In fact, I think he's a riot. Ian Holm was really excellent playing the priest Vito Cornelius who is helping Leeloo, the 'Divine Being' destroy evil for good. Milla Jovovich is really good as the 'Fifth Element' humanoid Leeloo who speaks an ancient language and has the power to destroy this evil force. Then you got all of the horrifyingly ugly menacing alien goons assisting Zorg in his quest to steal the stones for his own will. The comedy, science-fiction, action, drama, all gel together incredibly well on this movie. Gary Oldman is just a riot playing the twisted and eccentric villain Zorg. Zorg is one of the funniest sci-fi bad guys that I've ever seen in movies. Even if Oldman doesn't necessarily play villains, he is great playing downright goofy menaces.
Of the many films that have come out during the latter half of the 1990s, "The Fifth Element" ranks as one of the best films of this time period and even ranks above "Independence Day". Some may compare this to Star Wars but as I watch this movie, I think that TFE is more related to "Stargate" because of it's darker and mix of ancient and futuristic sceneries. I could very well describe it as "Die Hard in intergalactic space". "The Fifth Element" may have been more aimed at audiences that are looking for just plain fun and while it does well at that, it also succeeds incredibly well as being an intelligent and stunning theatrical work of art that hasn't been rivaled since its release year in the sci-fi area. Apart from "Die Hard", "The Fifth Element" is Bruce Willis' best movie so far and I doubt it will be surpassed for many years to come. While some may question it is being overdone, I feel that this is among the greatest movies that uses tons and tons of special effects to an efficient degree. The DTS edition has absolutely AMAZING sound quality and is a vast improvement over the VHS edition from years ago and now almost sounds like as if you were in fact seeing it on the big screen again with its 5.1 surround audio quality. I've heard about some having problems with playing the "Superbit" edition on some DVD players but I've had no problems with playing it on my DVD player. Which ever way you look at it, "The Fifth Element" is one of the great movies that has ever been made and I highly recommend that one gets a hand on a copy of this movie especially the DTS edition. It is worth every penny!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wild, Giddy Space Opera..., Nov. 16 2003
The story goes that director Luc Besson began writing THE FIFTH ELEMENT in his teens, incorporating all the Sci-Fi elements he loved into one over-the-top, grand space opera...sort of an "E.E. 'Doc' Smith 'Skylark' Meets Flash Gordon and Barbarella" hybrid with sex, intergalactic action, and even some pseudo-religious overtones tossed in...in other words, a teenage daydream come true! Critics panned the end result for this very reason, sneering at Bruce Willis' Earth-saving (yet again!) Korben Dallas, and Besson's then-girlfriend, clothing-optional Milla Jovovich, as the innocent demigod, Leeloo.
The critics were wrong!
THE FIFTH ELEMENT is, in the best sense of the word, a classic 'B' movie, a space opera where a prologue vaguely similar to STARGATE leads to a future Earth where traffic jams occur thirty stories above the ground, humanity is ruled by beefy 'Tiny' Lister Jr., and where the Ultimate Evil is served by everyone's favorite villain, Gary Oldman, sporting a Southern accent! If this DOESN'T convince you that this is a 'popcorn' flick, not to be taken too seriously, there is Chris Tucker, sporting a blond hairdo, as the Galaxy's favorite media personality, promoting himself as he hits on his adoring female fans; Ian Holm, as the monk who knows 'the Secret', forced, despite himself, to become an active participant in the adventure; and some of the most ... ugly alien mercenaries you'll ever see, terrorizing a space resort, until they meet their match in Bruce Willis' 'DIE HARD in Space' protagonist! Yippee-Ki-Yay, indeed!
The FX are astonishing, the comedy, broad and sly, the heroics, macho, and as Leeloo, sent to save Earth, Jovovich manages to be both naive and sexy, with broken English and a gymnast's grace.
Bruce Willis is a joy, as always, to watch, and he carries the film with charm and self-depreciating humor, whether dealing with endless phone calls from his mother, driving his sky taxi recklessly (cabbies change very little in the future!), taking on terrorists single-handed, or falling for the exotic Leeloo. When he blows away a roomful of hostage-holding aliens, then asks, "Does anyone else want to negotiate?", you KNOW Besson picked the right guy for the lead!
If you want Profound Science Fiction, watch 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY again...but if you want to kick back and just have fun, look not further...THE FIFTH ELEMENT delivers!

The Fifth Element [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
The Fifth Element [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) by Luc Besson (Blu-ray - 2007)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 9.46