5.0 out of 5 stars When comparing oranges to oranges ... these are great!
Rather than comparing apples to oranges, I'll just talk about the orange (or the apple if you prefer).

Published on Jan. 1 2011 by SloCan

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound quality, flimsy and annoying volume control
Sound quality is ok, not great but I didn't expect great.
The volume control dial is a horrible design, and poorly executed.
It's plastic and flimsy.
Impossible to use without two hands or gluing it to the table.
really annoying.
Published on Oct. 11 2011 by LazyGecko.net

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars When comparing oranges to oranges ... these are great!, Jan. 1 2011
This review is from: Logitech S220 2.1 Speaker System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Personal Computers)

The S-220 is perfect for those of us who need something inexpensive and that sounds good enough for us - not the audiophiles (although they may like them too)! There is no use complaining that the highs are too high, or that the lows are not low enough, or that the mids are too strong or too weak, etc., when we are talking about a simple, inexpensive unit, rather than a higher-end unit like the Kliptch ProMedias, for example, so in terms of an inexpensive set of speakers, the S-220 sounds good and handles movies, music, or games well enough.

I agree with the fact that the remote unit may be a bit flimsy looking, but we will have to see how it does in the long run. Having the volume disk near my finger tips is actually really convenient - I like that! I feel that a push-button on/off switch would have been better suited for this remote, because the little switch is a bit awkward to maneuver. The remote is fairly light, enough that it doesn't sit flush on the desktop, but someone on the US-Amazon site recommended double-sided tape to secure it to the desktop. That is a good idea. Possibly a better idea would be to use double-sided Velcro tape, which would allow you to temporarily move the unit when needed.

As mentioned on the US-Amazon site, the power cord from the sub could have been longer, but an extension or power bar easily resolves that issue. The sub itself is a perfect size and isn't bulky. It pretty much sits anywhere without its visual presence being noticed.

Some have mentioned that the satellites are wired too close together, which makes them barely able to fit on either side of a monitor. Simply, and gently, pull the wires apart, and you'll have as much distance between the two speakers as you need. It is easily done and won't harm the wiring if you are careful enough.

I got these on sale for 10 dollars less, and now that I have them, I would have been happy to have paid regular price. The sound of the S-220s is a huge improvement over my older 3-piece unit that was fine for all these years (until now that is).

I give it 5 stars, because it's a good orange compared to other oranges. ;-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound quality, flimsy and annoying volume control, Oct. 11 2011
Sound quality is ok, not great but I didn't expect great.
The volume control dial is a horrible design, and poorly executed.
It's plastic and flimsy.
Impossible to use without two hands or gluing it to the table.
really annoying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Used for couple years now., June 24 2014
Used for couple years now, great value and I have had not issues yet. Sound it pretty loud for what you pay for. I am trying to move away form having to deal with all these cables though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound, March 29 2013
This speaker exceeded my expectations. The sound is loud and clear. You can hear all frequencies with such compact speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Initially disappointed - changed my mind, Feb. 17 2013
hezzie "horse lover" (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
When I originally listened to music and sounds through these speakers I was very disappointed as it was very tinny sounding. However, after adjustment through the computer, they now work perfectly with good sound for the low price. I am satisfied with my purchase although, perhaps they would not suit a true audiophile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price., Dec 1 2012
pros: Good sound. No static. And its good for the price.

cons: I really wish it had more bass. If you want a speaker with alot of bass. This isnt for you. It has bass but enough. It has good bass for watching movies or tv shows but when it comes to music, it doesnt have enough. Some may say its enough but honestly its not. If you are a music lover this speaker isnt for you. To hear a good bass sound for music, you have to crank up the volume. Which sometimes can be to loud. I did adjust to hear more base on my laptop, but it makes it sound static. I guess it depends on your computer and how much bass you want.

you get what you paid for. its good for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars More BANG for your buck..., June 28 2010
Hilmar Ehrig - See all my reviews
If you want a very nice looking and sounding speaker System for your laptop, then just grab this one.

The fairly small sub gives a good punch, and the speakers itself are very nice too. And with the cable remote, mic and headphone connectors on the table its even better.

I totally recommend them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value speakers, March 26 2010
Quartet Listener (Waterloo, Ontario) - See all my reviews
The sound of these is very good for this price range. and plenty of bass.

One minor issue:

i) The power switch on the control is hard to turn off without inadvertently changing the volume.

One very minor issue:

ii) be aware of the cable arrangement: With my workstation setup the cables from the base unit to the speakers are just long enough and no more. I have to put the Base unit on the floor and the speaker cables don't have a straight run.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good, Oct. 24 2009
D. Lazzarino - See all my reviews
I got these for a laptop that has served as television, DVD player, stereo and sometimes paperweight and they do the job just right. Great sound and the right size. Lots of chords to untangle but I don't move them around all that much anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Logitech portable 2.1 speaker system, Nov. 29 2011
Got this 2.1 system to take with me and my laptop, as I work giving classes that require audio/video support and laptop integrated speakers really don't cut it.

I am amazed at the amount of bass the small subwoofer produces!

The satellites are adequate for a regular size classroom and pack enough punch for everyone to hear clearly.

My only complaint would be concerning the wiring. It would make this set perfect if the wires were more flexible (kind of like earphone wires), the plastic they are made of makes it harder to keep the volume control where you want it on your desk.

But for the price, these cannot be beat in my opinion.

Their small size and weight make them ideal when you need good sounding speakers on the go.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›