5.0 out of 5 stars When comparing oranges to oranges ... these are great!
Rather than comparing apples to oranges, I'll just talk about the orange (or the apple if you prefer).

Published on Jan. 1 2011 by SloCan

1.0 out of 5 stars Unacceptable humming noise from subwoofer
Published on Dec 31 2010 by Erik

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars When comparing oranges to oranges ... these are great!, Jan. 1 2011
Ce commentaire est de: Logitech S220 2.1 Speaker System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Personal Computers)

The S-220 is perfect for those of us who need something inexpensive and that sounds good enough for us - not the audiophiles (although they may like them too)! There is no use complaining that the highs are too high, or that the lows are not low enough, or that the mids are too strong or too weak, etc., when we are talking about a simple, inexpensive unit, rather than a higher-end unit like the Kliptch ProMedias, for example, so in terms of an inexpensive set of speakers, the S-220 sounds good and handles movies, music, or games well enough.

I agree with the fact that the remote unit may be a bit flimsy looking, but we will have to see how it does in the long run. Having the volume disk near my finger tips is actually really convenient - I like that! I feel that a push-button on/off switch would have been better suited for this remote, because the little switch is a bit awkward to maneuver. The remote is fairly light, enough that it doesn't sit flush on the desktop, but someone on the US-Amazon site recommended double-sided tape to secure it to the desktop. That is a good idea. Possibly a better idea would be to use double-sided Velcro tape, which would allow you to temporarily move the unit when needed.

As mentioned on the US-Amazon site, the power cord from the sub could have been longer, but an extension or power bar easily resolves that issue. The sub itself is a perfect size and isn't bulky. It pretty much sits anywhere without its visual presence being noticed.

Some have mentioned that the satellites are wired too close together, which makes them barely able to fit on either side of a monitor. Simply, and gently, pull the wires apart, and you'll have as much distance between the two speakers as you need. It is easily done and won't harm the wiring if you are careful enough.

I got these on sale for 10 dollars less, and now that I have them, I would have been happy to have paid regular price. The sound of the S-220s is a huge improvement over my older 3-piece unit that was fine for all these years (until now that is).

I give it 5 stars, because it's a good orange compared to other oranges. ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value speakers, March 26 2010
Quartet Listener (Waterloo, Ontario) - See all my reviews
The sound of these is very good for this price range. and plenty of bass.

One minor issue:

i) The power switch on the control is hard to turn off without inadvertently changing the volume.

One very minor issue:

ii) be aware of the cable arrangement: With my workstation setup the cables from the base unit to the speakers are just long enough and no more. I have to put the Base unit on the floor and the speaker cables don't have a straight run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value, Jan. 8 2011
Pros: Slim, stylish speakers are easy to place in tight spaces if your desk is cluttered. Their overall appearance fit any computer system. Clear crisp sound out of the speakers. Decent bass out of the woofer. You can actually have too much bass, but with these speakers you get just the right amount so that what you are listening to sounds "correct". Volume control is easy to use, and if you don't have microphone or earphone ports on the front of your computer, the volume controller has those built in, making it easy to use a mic or earphones without getting to the back of the computer. You'll be amazed you paid $30 for these speakers, the sound is that good.

Cons: The volume control unit kept getting pulled off my desk because the cords are new, stiff, and bent from being folded up in packaging. I had to flatten out the cords and wedge the cables between my computer and my external hard drive to keep it from sliding off the desk. My desk is a little dusty though so the rubber stops on the base of the controller didn't grip. Clean your desk before placing. Also, maybe some other way of placing the volume controller would have been nice. Maybe a small suction cup on the bottom or something to that effect. The problem is the volume controller unit is very, very light, so it is easily pulled off the desk. Not a major issue for me though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unacceptable humming noise from subwoofer, Dec 31 2010
As soon as I received this speaker set and plugged it to the wall, I could hear a hum coming out from the subwoofer. Upon closer inspection, it was a buzzing noise from the power circuitry resonating inside the subwoofer. The only way that I found to suppress the hum was to unplug the subwoofer from its power source. I even tried different surge suppressors to eliminate a possible issue with power not being clean, but the hum persisted and sounded the same, very annoying tone that bothered anyone in the same room as the computer.

No reviews on the Canadian Amazon website seem to mention this problem, which is why I bought this unit (very positive reviews). When I noticed the issue for myself and used Google, I found out that the Amazon UK website had plenty of users having the same issue as me, so I returned the speakers to Amazon for a refund.

The volume knob is also cheaply built, as it can easily come off its axis and also grinds against the edge below the knob when pressed, but that is a minor detail, as the price was **very** affordable and I would've kept this speaker set if the subwoofer was not humming.

5.0 out of 5 stars More BANG for your buck..., June 28 2010
Hilmar Ehrig - See all my reviews
If you want a very nice looking and sounding speaker System for your laptop, then just grab this one.

The fairly small sub gives a good punch, and the speakers itself are very nice too. And with the cable remote, mic and headphone connectors on the table its even better.

I totally recommend them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good, Oct. 24 2009
D. Lazzarino - See all my reviews
I got these for a laptop that has served as television, DVD player, stereo and sometimes paperweight and they do the job just right. Great sound and the right size. Lots of chords to untangle but I don't move them around all that much anyway.

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound quality, flimsy and annoying volume control, Oct. 11 2011
Sound quality is ok, not great but I didn't expect great.
The volume control dial is a horrible design, and poorly executed.
It's plastic and flimsy.
Impossible to use without two hands or gluing it to the table.
really annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy!, Jan. 3 2011
I am quite pleased with the overall quality of these speakers and subwoofer. It gives a clear, rich sound whether your listening with the volume up high or low!
Also, the control pod is a great feature with these speakers. I would recommend these to anyone looking for a cheap pair of speakers with great quality! They are better than I thought they would be. No complaints.

4.0 out of 5 stars reasonable sound given reasonable expectations, Dec 31 2010
When our main full-size speaker cone mounts deteriorated this past year, we purchased this speaker set as a temporary replacement and for later use with our computer. After installing them to our receiver, we were pleasantly surprised at how good these speakers sound and have been in no rush to replace or repair our main speakers.

This Logitech system creates a pleasing sound stage and image location. The bass, while not emphatic, is definite and quite reasonable (given the 4 inch woofer); it reproduces pleasing lower registers at comfortable listening levels. It is in the attenuated upper treble responses that I notice some weakness, hence four stars.

(Incidentally, these speakers came with excellent packaging and instructions. Delivery by Amazon.ca to our residence was first rate.)

For their intended use as a compact full-range speaker system for moderate (and/or close proximity) listening levels, these speakers perform quite well and are recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Used for couple years now., June 24 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Used for couple years now, great value and I have had not issues yet. Sound it pretty loud for what you pay for. I am trying to move away form having to deal with all these cables though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›