5.0 out of 5 stars Gacy
A great film to go with my collection. The video arrived before its due date and, in my opinion, at a great price.
Published 2 months ago by Stephen

1.0 out of 5 stars If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all..
Mark Holton who you may remember as the bike thief Francis in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" plays the title character of the famous serial killer John Wayne Gacy. While he has the look and the flamboyance, he simply doesn't cut the mustard as an actor with the skills to play Gacy. His performance isn't at the top of the list indicating the worse things about this...
Published on June 24 2004 by Moviebuffer101

2.0 out of 5 stars NEEDED SOME WORK..., June 13 2003
This review is from: Gacy [Import] (DVD)
THIS MOVIE NEEDED MORE BLOODY SCENES. THE OTHER SERIAL KILLERS' MOVIES WERE A HECK OF A LOT BETTER THEN THIS. THIS ONE HAD A GOOD PLOT BUT THEN STOPPED THERE. IT SHOULD BE RE DONE WITH MORE GORE. AND GACY WAS A CLOSET HOMO WHO NEVER WANTED ANYONE TO KNOW. I THINK I COULD HAVE WRITTEN THIS MOVIE BETTER. BUT THEN AGAIN ALL PEOPLE THINK THEIR MOVIES ARE THE BEST. ANYWAY THIS MOVIE WAS OKAY, BUT NOTHING TO WRITE HOME ABOUT. MY ADVICE IS WATCH IT IF YOU WANT JUST MAKE SOMEONE ELSE PAY FOR THE RENTAL. THAT'S ALL I'M SAYING...

1.0 out of 5 stars Another NO GUTS Attempt..., June 7 2003
This review is from: Gacy [Import] (DVD)
Do these filmmakers want to make a movie about a real life serial killer or don't they? Why make a movie like GACY or DAHMER if you don't understand--or fear to really touch--the subject matter you're getting yourself involved with? This film was a tremendous disappointment for me because it bears little resemblance to the actual serial killer. You can tell that its creators didn't have their heart in it, so to speak. I think they were simply throwing something together solely for commercial gain, that's obvious. Commercial gain is fine but there must be a balance. What we see in GACY is a clumsy, sissified, and utterly moronic version of John Wayne Gacy. It seems in the movie that everyone Gacy comes across is harshly insulting him in some way or trying to beat him up! In reality, those may've been very small tidbits within the killer's life, but it wasn't the big picture. Anyone even peripherally aware of the case knows how respected Gacy was within his community. He was not an incompetent imbecile, as he was more or less portrayed in this film. He only PLAYED a clown, he wasn't ACTUALLY a clown! In my opinion, it's just obnoxious to see how this material was treated. An example of a fairly recent true-life serial killer movie that works (for me, at least), something with blood in its veins, is TED BUNDY. As for GACY, the makers missed their target by miles. Maybe someone else will get it right. Though, I won't be holding my breath.

2.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS NOT GACY, May 24 2003
B. COLEY JR (NORFOLK, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gacy [Import] (DVD)
THIS MOVIE WAS AN EXTREME DISSAPOINTMENT. AS A MAN HAVING SOME INTEREST IN THE MIND AND ACTIONS OF A SERIAL KILLER THIS TALE WAS LAME AT BEST. WAS GACY REALLY THIS BIG OF A SISSY? THIS MOVIE TOTALLY MADE HIM LOOK LIKE A FOOL. THERE WAS NO DETAIL TO THIS MOVIE AT ALL. IT SHOOTS A SCENE, THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN SOMEONE IS DEAD. IT NEVER SHOWS HOW THE PEOPLE DIE. IT ALSO DOES NOT GO MORE INTO HIS CHILDHOOD. SOME PRISON LIFE WOULD BE NICE TOO. TO ME IT LOOKED LIKE A DOCUMENTRY ON BUGS AND WORMS. THEY MUST HAVE SHOWED THEM 100 TIMES. I DONT RECOMMEND THIS MOVIE AT ALL. I SUGGEST YOU STICK TO MADE UP SERIAL KILLERS SUCH AS HANNIBLE LECTER.

2.0 out of 5 stars could've been much better, May 23 2003
John R. Lewis, Jr. (louisville, ky United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gacy [Import] (DVD)
This movie is a virtual candyland of missed opportunities. first, like a lot of serial killer movies, it's structured almost as a series of episodic vignettes, which is okay, but here they don't flow together all that well (here's gacy digging in the crawlspace...now he's wrestling with young boys...now he's cruising the streets, etc). the filmmakers didn't seem to realize that there was an actual straightforward story here. second, and most heinous, is that a lot of what's presented is just flat-out WRONG! Whole chunks of the Gacy story are, for no good reason, left out--chunks that would've made the film much better, such as his back story, his civic & political activitism. the events leading to his arrest are wholly inaccurate, too. (and what was the deal with the two sleazy detectives, anyway? they look like they wandered onto the set from the David Lynch movie shooting on the next lot over.) in the end, Gacy drives away, the bodies are found, we see Gacy in jail, and...the movie ends!! no trial, no outraged neighbors, none of Gacy's bogus "Jack Handley" defense, no gas chamber, nada. In short, they cut out anything that might have made this a dramatically compelling film. A much MUCH better movie about the Gacy case is TO CATCH A KILLER, with Brian Dennehy playing Gacy.
The only reason to see this movie is the amazing performance by Mark Holton as Gacy. i was skeptical going in; I figured I'd be thinking of him as francis from Pee-wee's Big Adventure the whole time, but he actually does a stunning job. why isn't this guy working more anyway?

1.0 out of 5 stars Where are the details?, May 21 2003
This review is from: Gacy [Import] (DVD)
Like most of the movies that have been released latily(I.E. Bundy ,Dahmer,Speck, Ed Gein) this was the worst one I saw.This movie was slow movie and not Very interesting, John Gacy was a horrible man who did horrible things. In this movie he was like a bumbling idiot who everybody hated. People around him think he's weird but never challenge him. The story moved slow and jumped over alot of important details of his life thar made him a monster. I know it had no budget, but I've seen better movies of the week!it's just under 90 mins. Save your money, it will end up on late night tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was great!, May 17 2003
This review is from: Gacy [Import] (DVD)
I'm kind of bummed that so many reviewers here didn't like this movie. I was really surprised because I liked it a lot. About last year when all the serial killer movies were coming out, I couldn't wait for them to make one about Gacy. I thought this was the best of them all. And to me, Gacy is the most intriguing. I didn't know much about the case, and this movie gave me a clearer understanding of who Gacy was and what really happened. So I went out and bought the book "Killer Clown". EEEEWWE, he was a creep! I'm glad I didn't live anywhere near that house. I wonder if it's still there? Imagine living down the street. What a conversation piece. The only "mistake" I noticed was that this film was made in the summertime, and when Gacy was busted it was winter, covered in snow. But this was low budget.
I liked how the movie started off right away. It wasn't boring for a minute. I thought all the actors did a good job, especially Mark Holton. What a talented man.
To all you people who critisize this well-done movie, do YOU think you could have done better?

3.0 out of 5 stars It was O.K., May 14 2003
sinisterfiend666 (the master of Horror) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gacy [Import] (DVD)
Problems: It left out a lot of the story, which most of these serial killer movies seem to do. It fast forwards through his childhood. other left out facts: does not mention that specialists believe Gacy's abnormal behavior was from blood clot in the brain cause by a childhood swing accident. It also doesn't mention him trying to build a pool, that is where the bodies where stored. Doesn't mention him attacking men at job interviews, and at least 3 court actions brought against him before he was caught. Finally, it doesn't mention his time spent on death row: He would paint clowns, and portraits of Jeffrey Dahmer from what I understand. Other than all these facts left out, I thought this movie could have been more twisted if they had added more blood, or actually showed more of the torture he did. Don't get me wrong, there was torture scenes, but there was a lot of "you fill in the blanks" too. The Ted Bundy movie was better

1.0 out of 5 stars Was this really John Wayne Gacy???, May 13 2003
Marcus Hinton (Niederkirchen Deutschland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gacy [Import] (DVD)
I just got through watching this film, and i must say it was horribly done. I read several reports, and even wrote my own report about the serial clown killer John Wayne Gacy, and I'm wondering if the director did any research on him what so ever. Most of the events in this film was incorrect not to mention they made him look like a total idiot when it came to his own contracting business and especially how people felt about him. Now from all the research that i have done about Gacy, he was a successful business man and most people in town loved him but in this film they make him look like a crook and a person that wasn't liked. I expected this film to have been a lot better... it reminded me about the movie ALI, which was also horribly done. The movie was incorrect, boring and the acting was just sickening. I do not admire Gacy infact i think he was a sick, demented person but all i asked for was a film that was well done.When i picked this film up i did not expect it to be a "Award winning film" or even as good as the movie FROM HELL (Jack The Ripper), and i knew it was going to be a low budget film, but was there any money invested in it or what? GACY should never have been released. So SORRY to disappoint the people who are fans of serial killing films or thrillers but i suggest this film should stay on the shelf, but if you have nothing else to do and you are bored, go head and pick this film up... it's worth a watcher for movie freaks.

1.0 out of 5 stars DEADLY... dull, June 21 2004
lunatique (Cedarburg, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gacy [Import] (DVD)
The entire creative team of this film should be hogtied and shuffled off to Gacy's crawlspace. What's worse?: The amazingly feeble psychological explanations of Gacy's psychosis, southern California locations that look NOTHING like Chicago, costume, set, hair and costume inaccuracies for the period? The list goes on and on. There is no suspense, no pacing, HUGE gaps in the narrative. We're supposed to accept Gacy became a gay serial killer because his Dad called him a jag-off??? (Did it occur to the writers that 'jag-off' didn't enter the vernacular until the 70s and NOT 1953?? Obviously not.) When the inept director loses steam, he resorts (repeatedly) to shots of clown paintings and insects crawling in the basement to wake his audience up. The vapid creative team offers deadly dull commentary that offers little of interest about the story or film process. Don't even waste the money to rent this stinker... no pun intended.

1.0 out of 5 stars YES I COULD HAVE DONE BETTER - WORST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!, June 13 2004
painfully bad (los angeles, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gacy [Import] (DVD)
this movie was horrible!!!!
please take my word and so many others who have said that this is an awful movie.
i wouldn't necessarily say it was boring, but definitely repulsive.
if i could have given it no stars i would have in a second.
i guess the one star goes for mark holton who did a decent job.
clive saunders has entered my banned list and he's actually the first member.
there are honestly no words to truly express how bad this movie was, but i'll try to criticize the areas in which a film would normally be criticized.
i put most of the blame on the writing, directing and overall execution of what could have been and should have been a good movie.
there was no music in the first 20 minutes or so and then all of a sudden the movie attempted being scary and added traditional and bad scary movie-type music. when that didn't work out, it went back to its more documentary style. then of course back to scary movie and that failing once again, it moved on to amateur at best use of after effects (i know i could have done that better and i usually use imovie).
if you think this review is non-sensical then see the movie for yourself and see what non-sensical plotless crap really looks like!!!!

Gacy