5.0 out of 5 stars ASS PENNIES
Published on March 14 2004 by Josh

2.0 out of 5 stars Ce n'est pas Mr. Show
Each episode is just good enough to make me want to watch the next one. There are occasional glimmers of brilliance, but most of it falls short. Comparisons to Mr. Show are unwarranted; UCB has none of the originality or subtlety. Like SNL in the last ten years, half of the jokes fail to reach their potential and the other half lack any potential to begin with. On the...
Published on Dec 15 2003 by Hank Spivey

5.0 out of 5 stars ASS PENNIES, March 14 2004
Josh (Rutland, MA, United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Upright Citizens Brigade Comp (DVD)
Upright Citizens Brigade is sketch comedy at its finest. They are right up there with Kids In The Hall. The ass pennies sketch on disc one is simply the most hilarious bit of sketch comedy I have ever seen. Each episode ends with a hidden-camera prank cast members play on the street. This I think is the highlight of the show (but nothing will ever top the ass penny sketch). The low point of the season is the Little Donny episode. Yeah, funny premise but it gets old after five minutes or so. Then it goes on unnecessarily for another twenty minutes. This is the only time they do this and the rest of the season is timed good and they know how far to take a joke. Each cast member is exceptionally gifted at comic delivery and much of the time the way they say something is actually funnier than what they said. It's a shame that we haven't seen more of the cast in movies because each of them has the talent and potential to be a scene stealer. As a fan of fine sketch, I highly reccomend Upright Citizens Brigade. And remember, your pennies have been in my ass!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Feb. 21 2004
Jesse Brookes (California) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Upright Citizens Brigade Comp (DVD)
I decided to buy the discs based on 2 factors: Pleasant, vague memories of the show during my high school years; and the subtle coercion from one of my best friends. ...
At first, I was a little dissapointed. But as I watched more and more of it, I became aware that I was witnessing an arena of comedy that has really only been visited by The Simpsons, and a few others (perhaps Monty Python, Kids in the Hall, etc...). I love the idea of a secret organization whose avowed mission is to upset the status quo by proliferating chaos. It offers brilliant, often-hilarious insights into such areas as religion, psychology, popular culture, and poo. Granted, some of the episodes and skits are much funnier than others; but that simply shows a greater drive to explore new ideas. Most of their candid camera work (a small part of the show) is very original, and shamelessly executed to near perfection.
The cast is brilliant. These are 4 people who are clearly at the top of their game. They have effectively reduced sketch comedy to a science. Each of their characters (or caricatures) is somehow utterly credible and convincing, no matter how ridiculous they appear. If you are a fan of Monty Python, Kids in the Hall, The Simpsons, South Park, or similar shows - then there's a very good chance you'll enjoy this show. Mad T.V. fans need not apply.
P.S. I have just begun training to become one of their silent operatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars UCB is Supercool!, Dec 7 2003
M. rosen - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Upright Citizens Brigade Comp (DVD)
I'm really partial to give this review, being both a huge fan and a student at the UCB theater, but season one knocked my socks off. It has some of the funniest episodes (Poo Stick, my personal favorite Saigon Suicide Show, Cyborgs...) which can be made even funnier by the (oft-censored) commentary by Besser, Poehler, Roberts and Walsh. After being able to watch the episodes over and over again, I never get sick of them - each time I notice a different refrence that went over my head, and laugh at the same jokes even more. The special features are also very funny, from a live, un-pixelated Little Donny sketch in the theater to the "Andre the Giant Song" - there isn't a weak point on the DVD. So until Seasons Two and Three (which I find even funnier!) comes out, I'll be watching Season One over...and over...and over... and I'll keep on laughing.
NOTE TO FANS/POTENTIAL FANS - Apparently Comedy Central is only releasing the next seasons based on the sales of season one, so buy your copy already, for posterity's sake!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMONG THE BEST SKETCH COMEDY SHOWS EVER MADE, Nov. 27 2003
"nonicknameneededthanx" (Brooklyn, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Upright Citizens Brigade Comp (DVD)
Normally I wouldn't say this, because it makes me look like an idiot to toot my own horn like this (espescially in an online review), but I've been writing jokes for the Onion for the last 13 years, and the only reason I mention that is so hopefully somebody out there will take my comedy opinions a little more seriously when I say: PLEASE BUY THIS DVD RIGHT NOW. Just so there's no mistaking it: THE UPRIGHT CITIZEN'S BRIGADE created some of the most BRILLIANT, INTELLIGENT, SATIRIC comic work ever to appear on television, combining the best elements of live improv (from which most of these sketches were originally concieved) (and which the UCB and friends are the undisputed masters of, btw) ingenious and complex joke structure, great acting/writing/direction, punk/dada subversive absurdism, highbrow intellectual references and utterly lowbrow silliness, creating a mix that is unlike anything that normally gets aired on the too-often formulaic and boring world of television comedy. It was too unconventional for some and indeed when it aired it went over a lot of people's heads, but that was THEIR fault, not the show's, and the subsequent growing cult appreciation has vindicated the UCB's sketch show as a truly wonderful, rare, and special thing. IF YOU TAKE COMEDY SERIOUSLY as a struggling and underappreciated art form PLEASE SUPPORT THIS DVD so we can all convince Comedy Central that the remaining two seasons deserve future DVD releases (and in my opinion, each season just got better.) The UCB ranks alongside Python, the original SNL, SCTV, The Kids In The Hall and Mr. Show... in other words, it ranks among the best TV comedy programs ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Check it!, Nov. 10 2003
B. Harms (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Upright Citizens Brigade Comp (DVD)
These people took risks and produced this unusual, exciting and very funny first season. So many laugh out loud moments from strange concepts that come together and really pay off. Every episode is unique. Excellent features as well. The included pilot episode was obviously shot on a smaller budget and some scenes were in front of a live audience which was never the case on the aired episodes. The commentary style varies, for the episodes that include it, from informal "rappin' 'n' riffin'" in front of a live audience that is watching the episodes with them to intimate studio-recorded analysis, but all the commentary is fun and informative. If you are ever in New York City on a Sunday night, come by their theatre and some of the four UCB members and friends will do improv for you. That's like an extra extra feature. The current address and phone number of The Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre is right on the DVD box. If you haven't seen the "Little Donny" episode then your money is well spent for that alone. People really love that episode. So will you.
I don't see the features listed on the Amazon copy so here they are:
-The complete first season: "Bucket of Truth", "Poo Stick", "Saigon Suicide Show", "Power Marketing", "Children's Revolution", "Story of the Toad", "Lady of the Lake", "Time Machine", "Cyborgs", and "The Little Donny Foundation".
-Exclusive commentary for pilot episode and the "Cyborgs" epsiode recorded in front of a live audience at the UCB Theater, followed by a Q & A session.
-Audio commentary for "The Bucket of Truth", "Power Marketing","Time Machine" and "The Little Donny Foundation".
-Alternate audio commentary for "The Little Donny Foundation" episode by Little Donny and his parents.
-UCB pilot episode
-Deleted Scene "Highland Epoxy".
-Original live versions of "Little Donny" and the "Andre the Giant" Song.
-Original UCB Trailers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, unique sketch comedy from a Chicago improv group!, Oct. 29 2003
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Upright Citizens Brigade Comp (DVD)
The Upright Citizens' Brigade was formed in Chicago during the mid-90s by a handful of ImprovOlympic vets: Amy Poehler, Matt Besser, Ian Roberts, Matt Walsh, and Horatio Sanz. Sanz soon departed for the Second City and, subsequently, Saturday Night Live and the rest of the UCB departed for New York. After making a triumphant appearance at the Aspen Comedy Festival, Comedy Central gave the four the opportunity to create a sketch comedy show. And what a show they came up with! Using the long-form improv technique developed by Second City/Committee alum & ImprovOlympic co-founder Del Close known as "the Harold" as a template, the troupe developed a program in which individual, surrealist sketches eventually link up, overlap, and cross-refernce one another. The show is linked together under the guise of all the sketches being acts of chaos perpetarted on an unsuspecting public by an underground group known as the Upright Citizens Brigade (they even include real-life hidden camera pranks played on the public as end-credit cookies). The show is very funny and definitely one-of-a-kind. Comedy Central gave it, I believe, three seasons before pulling the plug. Since the show's demise, Poehler has become a regular on Saturday Night Live (with ex-UCB member Sanz) and the others have been seen in quest shots on dozens of comedy shows and a variety of films (most recently, Walsh played one of Luke Wilson's office buddies in "Old School" and Roberts popped up as a cheer coach in "Bring It On").

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, odd, and wonderful, May 12 2004
J. D. Demotte (Lenexa, KS United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Upright Citizens Brigade Comp (DVD)
I remember a friend talking to me about this weird little show on Comedy Central. These sketches, involving a man wielding a poo stick, another person claiming to have the title line in Star Wars, and man forced to make "mini-movies" wearing a catsuit and delivering balloons. It sounded bizarre, but I trust this friends opinon, so I watched the show and fell in love. I missed most of the episodes on their cable run, and saw little to nothing of the first or second season. But it still remained one of my favorite sketch comedies ever.
So when I heard that the first season was available on DVD I snatched up fast. An excellent DVD with commentary from the UCB, deleted scenes, the unaired pilot, and more. I finally got to see those episode I never saw (including the excellent Saigon Suicide Squad). I hope enough folks buy it so that seasons 2 & 3 are released.

5.0 out of 5 stars comedy central better not screw this up again, Jan. 11 2004
M. A. Miller (Rome, GA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Upright Citizens Brigade Comp (DVD)
comedy central screwed up when they dropped this show now they better make it up by finishing off the dvd set. this dvd is awesome and it allowed me to see many episodes i missed since I got into the show during season 2. The Bucket of Truth is one of the best episodes ever (you have to love the hot chicks room), Poo Stick was pretty funny, as was Saigon Suicide Show, Power Marketing was awesome the Penny thing is hilariouse, Childrens revolution was actually the first UCB episode I ever saw and its pretty funny, I loved the Story of the Toad, The Lady of the Lake episode was also great it really is a good interpratation of frats, Time Machine is another one of the UCB's greatest episodes, Cyborgs was funny, and Little Donnie Foundation is hilariouse. Comedy Central I want the next two seasons I need thunderball and super cool

5.0 out of 5 stars UCB: Chaos Creators... while screaming at it!, Oct. 2 2003
C. Ceradsky "Cammioh" (KS) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Upright Citizens Brigade Comp (DVD)
The Upright Citizens Brigade is one of the most entertaining, intelligent programs that has ever aired on national television. Comedy Central would have been wise to have kept the show on the air. Unfortunately, they did not. But, they are nice enough to release the 1st series on DVD. The show, disguised as sketch comedy, looked at everyday issues and pointed out amusing elements of people trying to make sense of this crazy world. The Bucket of Truth, Tic Tics with Almonds, Little Donny, and Big Red Cat: they're all here. If you don't already know, I had the titular line in "Upright Citizens Brigade. I also had the title line.
If you like Cyborgs, jet-packs, or throwing star sitcoms, you may enjoy this DVD set! But, don't take my word for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOLFMAN JACK SAYS UCB IS AT THE FRONT DOOR BABY!!, Nov. 10 2003
Michael Youngstom Jr. "scottymike" (MASSACHUSETTS) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Upright Citizens Brigade Comp (DVD)
UCB was the best sketch comedy show to ever be on television!! Its bizarre and off-the-wall humor is guaranteed to satisfy! This is a great DVD to get, even if you've seen all the episodes the special features are dreadfully funny and definitely worth it. The commentaries especially are hilarious, which features all the four actors from the show recently talking about the best episodes from the season. Season 1 personally is my favorite of the three seasons they were on comedy central. So many great episodes like "Bucket of Truth", "Poo Stick", "Time Machine", "Cyborgs", "Lady of the Lake", "Little Donnie Foundation" and many more. Plus, they swear!! I stole my copy of season one from the store, but it was ok, my sheet has a hole in it.

Upright Citizens Brigade: Season 1
Upright Citizens Brigade: Season 1 by Phil Morrison (DVD - 2007)
CDN$ 32.99 CDN$ 23.99