5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, odd, and wonderful
Published on May 12 2004 by J. D. Demotte

2.0 out of 5 stars Ce n'est pas Mr. Show
Each episode is just good enough to make me want to watch the next one. There are occasional glimmers of brilliance, but most of it falls short. Comparisons to Mr. Show are unwarranted; UCB has none of the originality or subtlety. Like SNL in the last ten years, half of the jokes fail to reach their potential and the other half lack any potential to begin with. On the...
Published on Dec 15 2003 by Hank Spivey

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, odd, and wonderful, May 12 2004
J. D. Demotte (Lenexa, KS United States) - See all my reviews
I remember a friend talking to me about this weird little show on Comedy Central. These sketches, involving a man wielding a poo stick, another person claiming to have the title line in Star Wars, and man forced to make "mini-movies" wearing a catsuit and delivering balloons. It sounded bizarre, but I trust this friends opinon, so I watched the show and fell in love. I missed most of the episodes on their cable run, and saw little to nothing of the first or second season. But it still remained one of my favorite sketch comedies ever.
So when I heard that the first season was available on DVD I snatched up fast. An excellent DVD with commentary from the UCB, deleted scenes, the unaired pilot, and more. I finally got to see those episode I never saw (including the excellent Saigon Suicide Squad). I hope enough folks buy it so that seasons 2 & 3 are released.

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I miss this??, April 19 2004
By A Customer
I saw an episode of this show last week during a marathon on Comedy Central - it was the first time I had ever watched the show. HOW DID I MISS IT?? This show is excellent - for me to mention it in the same breath as "Mr. Show" and "The State" is pretty indicative of how funny it is.
Random, arbitrary, but intelligent humor appeal to you? This is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it entirely, April 12 2004
"john_k_house2" (Conroe, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I can remember when Comedy Central was called HA network. I've seen brilliance slip through so many cracks like a plummbers convention. This show should be beamed into deep space to baffle alien races. Now run and open your front door and scream for no reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best show ever., April 8 2004
James Terrell - See all my reviews
This DVD is so hilarious. I've been waiting so long for them to put this show out on DVD. The shows are great, the commentary is even better! This show makes me laugh harder and longer than any other show in the history of time. I've watched every episode on this DVD many times and it never gets old. You and your friends will pick up enough catch-phrases to last a life-time.
COMEDY CENTRAL PLEASE PUT OUT THE OTHER SEASONS!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I had the titular line in this DVD!!, March 18 2004
The UCB is definitely the best comedy show ever to grace our television sets. It's a shame that Comedy Central chose to pull the show. To give those who are not in the know an idea of how valuable this DVD is; people were paying up to $130 for low quality VHS copies of the show on eBay (myself included). The show is THAT GOOD!
You need to buy this DVD set!
$25 is too much money you say? Would you consider paying $50 for two?
COMDEY CENTRAL PLEASE RELEASE THE NEXT TWO SEASONS THIS YEAR!!!!
I need a fix of super cool stat!

5.0 out of 5 stars ASS PENNIES, March 14 2004
Josh (Rutland, MA, United States) - See all my reviews
Upright Citizens Brigade is sketch comedy at its finest. They are right up there with Kids In The Hall. The ass pennies sketch on disc one is simply the most hilarious bit of sketch comedy I have ever seen. Each episode ends with a hidden-camera prank cast members play on the street. This I think is the highlight of the show (but nothing will ever top the ass penny sketch). The low point of the season is the Little Donny episode. Yeah, funny premise but it gets old after five minutes or so. Then it goes on unnecessarily for another twenty minutes. This is the only time they do this and the rest of the season is timed good and they know how far to take a joke. Each cast member is exceptionally gifted at comic delivery and much of the time the way they say something is actually funnier than what they said. It's a shame that we haven't seen more of the cast in movies because each of them has the talent and potential to be a scene stealer. As a fan of fine sketch, I highly reccomend Upright Citizens Brigade. And remember, your pennies have been in my ass!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Feb. 21 2004
Jesse Brookes (California) - See all my reviews
I decided to buy the discs based on 2 factors: Pleasant, vague memories of the show during my high school years; and the subtle coercion from one of my best friends. ...
At first, I was a little dissapointed. But as I watched more and more of it, I became aware that I was witnessing an arena of comedy that has really only been visited by The Simpsons, and a few others (perhaps Monty Python, Kids in the Hall, etc...). I love the idea of a secret organization whose avowed mission is to upset the status quo by proliferating chaos. It offers brilliant, often-hilarious insights into such areas as religion, psychology, popular culture, and poo. Granted, some of the episodes and skits are much funnier than others; but that simply shows a greater drive to explore new ideas. Most of their candid camera work (a small part of the show) is very original, and shamelessly executed to near perfection.
The cast is brilliant. These are 4 people who are clearly at the top of their game. They have effectively reduced sketch comedy to a science. Each of their characters (or caricatures) is somehow utterly credible and convincing, no matter how ridiculous they appear. If you are a fan of Monty Python, Kids in the Hall, The Simpsons, South Park, or similar shows - then there's a very good chance you'll enjoy this show. Mad T.V. fans need not apply.
P.S. I have just begun training to become one of their silent operatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes just like chewing on a christmas tree!, Feb. 7 2004
Brian "lm317t" (raleigh, nc United States) - See all my reviews
It is by far the funniest show comedy central has ever had! This show would have done so much better if it hadn't had such lame commercials for it. I don't know why they cancelled it. I have watched this season so many times with my friends and we still laugh non-stop!
Witty randomness is funny and entertaining, get this season...and sprint for 100 yards!!
and that man was Eli Whitney.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Show On Television, Feb. 1 2004
By A Customer
Or, well... Not on television. But it should be! Honestly, I saw this show on Comedy Central once or twice and thought nothing of it, but I saw the first season on DVD and I can't figure out how I didn't like this on TV. I like such shows as Family Guy, Simpsons, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021, Futurama, and Seinfeld. This show is funnier than all of them. I laugh constantly from beginning to end of almost every episode because it is so consistently funny. This show must be seen. It should be a capital offence not to watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My best purchase in ages, Jan. 21 2004
By A Customer
Please, help out the Little Donnie Foundation and buy this DVD!
I hope they will release Seasons 2 & 3.

ARRAY(0xacac266c)

Upright Citizens Brigade: Season 1
Upright Citizens Brigade: Season 1 by Phil Morrison (DVD - 2007)
CDN$ 32.99 CDN$ 22.19