5.0 out of 5 stars To buy or not to buy?
Item reviewed: Star Trek the Next Generation. 20th Anniversary 7-season DVD box set (2007)

This is the big question for TNG fans. For those who love the show and have not yet invested in the complete series, the price is now right to pick up all the episodes of one of the best SF series ever made.

The previous DVD box set editions both have their...
Published on Oct. 5 2007 by Richard Daystrom

2.0 out of 5 stars Great series, disappointing package
Published on Dec 29 2009 by Meagol

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars To buy or not to buy?, Oct. 5 2007
Richard Daystrom "creator, M-5 multitronic unit" (Daystrom Institute, Earth, United Federation of Planets) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek: The Next Generation - Complete Series (49DVD) (Sous-titres français) (DVD)

The previous DVD box set editions both have their fans and detractors. Content-wise, these discs are identical in every way to the previous release, including menu screens. So there is little reason to upgrade to this box set for those who already own the individual season sets. The new series set is housed in plastic cases with mylar spines, similar to the DS9 and Voyager, and Enterprise sets, and takes up half the shelf space of the TNG cardboard box sets.

What's new?
There is one bonus disc here (disc 49), not included before. It contains the short featurettes that were previously only released in the Region 2 DVD sets and on the Best Buy bonus discs. It's nice to finally have them available to all in North American format. In addition, there are 3 new featurettes unique to this 20th Anniversary set each about 25 min. long. In total, there are approx. 80 min. of brand new material here. It's great to see Wil Wheaton ('Wesley') again, as host of one of the features, and De Lancie ('Q') on another.

Many die-hard fans will want to wait a few years until inevitably yet another edition comes out in a high-definition format, containing a few more goodies. Until then, TNG has now reached a reasonable price for the 7-series run on DVD. I have added several extra pictures on the product page so that buyers can get a look inside.

Special Features Disc Menu:
* = new features unique to this edition
% = previously released in Region 2 format, or on Best Buy bonus discs only

- Inside Starfleet Academy Archives: Sets and Props %
- Special Profiles %
- Dressing The Future %

2.0 out of 5 stars Great series, disappointing package, Dec 29 2009
Star Trek TNG is my favorite sci-fi series, and I have no complaints about the show itself. Just this particular packaged set. The transfer looks horrible for the first few seasons, gets slightly better towards the end--I know I've been spoiled by hi-def TV, but I'm talking VHS tape quality for this, which would be fine, had this been at a bargain price, but it is most certainly not. The packaging itself is flimsy and broke within days of use--both the outer shell and the disk trays. I loved that they put all in one box (I have Voyager split on individual season boxes, and that takes a whole lotta space), but that doesn't mean they can't come up with a sturdy case worthy of the series. It also lacks in the "extras" department; again, inexcusable.

Like some other reviewer, I wish I had waited for the inevitable Blu-ray release. Though I fear it will be a sloppy transfer, of low quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on Paramount!, Jan. 26 2011
Greg "neurosky" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
To be clear: Star Trek: TNG is a five star series, one of the best in television history. It is one of my very favourite TV programs. I am judging this product by its quality alone, not the series. And this release is so bad that I hardly to know where to start.

THE PACKAGING: The cheapest I've ever seen outside a five dollar bargain bin. The first thing you notice is that it's green (a colour which in no way reflects the style or character of the series.) Second, you'll notice that the disks are all held inside cheap plastic trays--themselves held in order by cheap Scotch Tape. Then you'll notice that the set comes with no manual, no listing of the seasons or episodes whatsoever (except for on the disks themselves.)

DISK PROBLEMS: I don't like that you can't always skip the opening credits straight to the first act; sometimes you have to wind back to catch the opening title. There also aren't many special features here, except the special disk that was added. By now I'd expect a lot more audio commentary, FX featurettes, interviews, etc. It's a classic series after all and has many fans.

Upon the advice of other reviewers, I purchased a disk pouch to discard the awful packaging. I found one in black and blue (appropriate colors.) I figured that it would be worth it just owning this great show on DVD. I cannot recommend this product to anyone, outside of borrowing from a friend or the library. This release is a slap in the face to all Star Trek TNG fans. Shame on Paramount for not showing this classic TV series the respect that it deserves, as well as not appreciating its fans (fans so loyal that they'll rate this product five stars to support the show they love despite its horrid packaging!) It's not worth your hard-earned dollars, not even if it was fifty dollars.

Paramount has some things to learn from HBO when it comes to DVD releases. If it ever releases a quality set I will gladly spend money on it, but this was just a waste.

3.0 out of 5 stars Packaging is bad, April 23 2009
I just received this box set and I am very disappointed in the packaging. It's probably the cheapest most flimsy box set I have, and I have many of them. It has three sections that open like a book, 1 DVD on each side. I will have to manipulate it like holding eggs so it doesn't crack or break into pieces like the Star Trek Voyager packaging that has already started to decay after only two viewings.
The Star Trek original series box set (re-mastered) that I also find cheap and flimsy by the way is much better than TNG box set. I expect much better from a franchise like Star Trek and for the price they are asking I expect quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 star show, 1 star dvd, Dec 29 2010
N. Wilson - See all my reviews
While I love the show, the packaging is very disappointing. While some people may think packaging isn't important, this is the worst DVD packaging I've ever scene. It falls apart, it isn't organized, it's ugly, and all around hard to store. I'm personally going to buy DVD cases, and make my own packaging, because of how poor the packaging is for this expensive set. I would never have thought packaging could make me regret a purchase, but this set as proved me wrong.

As far as the actually DVDs, they are surprisingly bad quality. They actually look better on my non HD T.V. station, compared to my 480p DVD player. This is quite shocking, as the quality should be at least on par with what's on T.V. not worse. While I'd still rather watch the DVD as it is a lot more conventient, it still might not be worth the purchase for some people if you have a big DVR/PVR harddrive and could record the episodes from your T.V.

As much as I love the series, the packaging and bad quality may not warrent a purchase. This is the worst DVD series I've ever bought for these issues.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Series; Terrible DVDs, March 17 2012
H. Pearse (Canada) - See all my reviews
First off, I love this series. I've wanted it forever, and was excited to finally get it. This makes it even more frustrating that there's at least one episode on each disk that doesn't play right, and a few that won't play at all.

The picture quality is fair enough if you aren't choosy, at least as fine as it was on TV, but the stuttering, stopping, skipping and other annoyances were a pain. One disk even crashed my computer when I tried to play it there, instead. The disks have no scratches, and my player and DVD drive both work fine normally, so I must conclude the sets are just a risk - and a very pricey one at that. This series is absolutely worth owning, but this set is not worth the price, especially if you find one of your favourite episodes is a dud. Too bad.

Edited to add: I would also beware of buying the second hand sets available, as I suspect others who were burned by buying the dud ones are unloading them off on to others. Make sure the seller has a clear return policy posted before taking the gamble.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Star Trek Memory Lane', June 23 2010
G. Smith - See all my reviews
I purchased this product last Christmas and am enjoying working my way through the episodes. I loved the series then and it is fun watching it all over again and introducing it to my teenagers. The only issue I have is that as I play each DVD it causes my player to make a 'whirring' sound. Not sure why. I also found the packaging for this product to be a very poor choice as the plastic is rather brittle and keeps breaking off in little pieces. Disappointing especially for an anniversary edition boxed set. I expected better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Quality Mars a Great Television Series, April 20 2014
Steve Makohin (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Star Trek: The Next Generation was a noteworthy television series, but this product falls well short of expectations. The contents includes all episodes for all seven seasons, uncut, plus over 40 special feature videos of cast interviews, behind the scenes, etc.

However, this product falls horribly short in several areas. It arrives in flimsy plastic trays that break easily, and have already broken during shipping. They're held together using celluloid tape. The video quality on the DVDs is the worst I've ever seen, being on part with the worst quality YouTube videos, and being reminiscent of VHS copies from the 1980s. The images lack clarity, crispness, and contrast, and have visible compression artifacts that show up as blockiness. Lastly, a number of the disks are damaged and won't play (a common complaint amongst customers).

This is an expensive, low quality, "must avoid" product that should never have been released for sale.

Prospective customers may want to consider buying the series from the Apple iTunes store when it's available. I purchased one episode for comparison purposes, and it's like night and day. The HD copies are especially impressive: It's Star Trek as it was meant to be seen.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, July 23 2013
Sent me a used product. I ordered new. Many of the disks later in the series had serious skips. Some of the DVD cases had chunks broken off. Seller asked immediately for a positive review before I had a chance to view all the episodes. I leave it to the reader to decide why thie might be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray or regular DVD?, Dec 27 2011
Usually, I have had a good experience with buying DVD movies or TV shows. Movies, even in regular DVD format will have a pretty decent quality and would give me no need to buy something of higher video quality. So I sat down and watched a few episodes of TNG and had a bit of the buyers remorse. I wished that the video quality was better, like my Transformers or The Rock DVD (again, non-Blu-ray). The video quality was pretty much identical to the original TV quality when I received analog TV through the antennas. I started to wonder if I should have waited for the Blu-ray release set to come January 2012. I may actually appreciate it more. However, with an Amazon deal for 60%+ off, this regular DVD set was quite a good value! I can't imagine holding out a year or two for the TNG Blu-rays to become remotely close in price. So, if I had money to throw around, I would wait for the Blu-ray release, but as a TNG fan on a budget, this will do just fine.

A word on the box itself. I have seen box sets nicely and organized, like the Friends box set for example. It clearly divides DVD's into seasons and you can find an episode within those sections. The TNG box set however, is a super space efficient setup. The discs are mounted onto a slim panel of green plastic. The thing is, it does not quite organize them into any visually appealing order. It really might as well be thrown into a spindle for you to go through and find. The only thing you can do is sticky tape and label and sort them on your own - like doing a job that the manufacturer and designers should have done themselves.

The extras. So the advertisements claim that the Box Set comes with a replica of the USS Enterprise Dedication Plaque. Eventually I found it. It is just a crappy printout on the folded poster/guide enclosed with the DVD's. This was not cool whatsoever.

Originally, I was going to give this box set a 4/5 stars for losing one star for having made no improvements to video whatsoever, but now I'm taking away another star for a disappointing me with lazy DVD organization and not having a good quality USS Enterprise Dedication Plaque.

The only thing that is keeping my review above 2 stars is because the series is so good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Complete Series (49DVD) (Sous-titres français)
CDN$ 424.99 CDN$ 239.99