march boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store Unlimited cloud storage sports Tools Registry

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on October 5, 2007
Item reviewed: Star Trek the Next Generation. 20th Anniversary 7-season DVD box set (2007)

This is the big question for TNG fans. For those who love the show and have not yet invested in the complete series, the price is now right to pick up all the episodes of one of the best SF series ever made.

The previous DVD box set editions both have their fans and detractors. Content-wise, these discs are identical in every way to the previous release, including menu screens. So there is little reason to upgrade to this box set for those who already own the individual season sets. The new series set is housed in plastic cases with mylar spines, similar to the DS9 and Voyager, and Enterprise sets, and takes up half the shelf space of the TNG cardboard box sets.

What's new?
There is one bonus disc here (disc 49), not included before. It contains the short featurettes that were previously only released in the Region 2 DVD sets and on the Best Buy bonus discs. It's nice to finally have them available to all in North American format. In addition, there are 3 new featurettes unique to this 20th Anniversary set each about 25 min. long. In total, there are approx. 80 min. of brand new material here. It's great to see Wil Wheaton ('Wesley') again, as host of one of the features, and De Lancie ('Q') on another.

Many die-hard fans will want to wait a few years until inevitably yet another edition comes out in a high-definition format, containing a few more goodies. Until then, TNG has now reached a reasonable price for the 7-series run on DVD. I have added several extra pictures on the product page so that buyers can get a look inside.

Special Features Disc Menu:
* = new features unique to this edition
% = previously released in Region 2 format, or on Best Buy bonus discs only

- Inside Starfleet Academy Archives: Sets and Props %
- Special Profiles %
- Dressing The Future %
on June 20, 2009
Star Trek The Next Generation: Seasons 1-7 is definitely one of the best box sets released for TNG. I bought it back when it was cheaper than it is listed now but it is dear to my heart. The boxes are great: the packaging not flimsy, being very sturdy! It has held up to much abuse, and indeed it is a beautiful set. It still shines silver, and I love how the seasons are so easily identifiable. I like the extras included in this set such as the additions to each DVD season, interviews, as well as the inserts. Highly recommended!
on January 17, 2016
I purchased this on sale for $119 CDN and my husband absolutely loves it! Great value for all of those episodes and I wish the other Star Trek series would be close to this price (unfortunately they are much more expensive still). The only downside to this selection is the case itself. We already managed to break the case in 3 parts. It's simply too big and flimsy to withstand even gentle use (and we were very gentle with it). But even this small flaw is not that big of a deal. I'm very happy with this purchase.
on March 8, 2016
This is an awesome set for fans of the original Star Trek. I feel this picks up where the last left off. The addition of movies featuring both original and TNG adds to the experience and enjoyment in my humble opinion. Don't let this slip by until it is out of print and becomes super expensive!
on December 12, 2010
Watch out for 3rd party sellers. I bought the set at a price that seemed too good to be true, and indeed it was. Bootlegs can have low video quality (from being compressed to a single layer DVD) and can be hard to spot. Mine had typos on the DVDs ("Dataldre", "The Long Goodbyb", etc.) that tipped me off. I have no problems with legitimate sets -- TNG is a great show. But buyer beware.
on May 9, 2015
Bought this few years ago. Awesome price. And I loved how compact it was.

I love voyager
I love deep space 9
I love the next generation
I kinda liked the original series

I really enjoyed the new star trek as well
on September 28, 2014
I enjoyed the series again except the episodes that came after his death. The team did a good job but did not have vision. If I look at the world condition today, I would say that the reality is mimicing the fiction of those episodes
on March 25, 2016
Including the futuristic looking packaging and the fact that this is a really good series in the Star Trek world, I love this purchase. It arrived on the day it was supposed to and was in very good condition. Very satisfied.
on January 2, 2014
My husband was happy with this product. He wasn't concerned about the packaging, or at least didn't mention it when I told him about the negative reviews I had read after ordering. I'd say it's worth buying.
on December 2, 2015
Finally I have my own copy of this series. It came in a nice compact case and doesn't take too much room on the shelf. We couldn't be happier with it. I couldn't believe how fast it came.