4.0 out of 5 stars Product packaging is the only downside
Published on July 15 2011 by Nostalgia Guy

3.0 out of 5 stars great yet un-worth
the product and price are great but because if the way they pack it almost all of the disks are scratched. You can't watch it , you will have to return it :'(
Published on July 13 2012 by jamroa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Product packaging is the only downside, July 15 2011
Nostalgia Guy - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: MacGyver: The Complete Series (39 Disc Set) (DVD)
I never watched MacGyver when it was originally aired, so my purchase of the complete series was based on my '60s-'90s nostalgic streak... that, and the excellent one day price for the set ($50.39 including GST). I've watched the pilot and several other episodes and I can see the attraction that the show had in its day. Simple formulaic episodes are carried by a clever gimmick, the appealing character portrayed by Richard Dean Anderson and the non-lethal results of the character's improvisations. So the series is fun and innocent, albeit not very deep.

My issue is with the packaging. The accordian style cardboard sleeves are slotted to hold the discs, but within the slots there is no protection against scratching during transport. The slot edges are rough and the discs vibrate and move about. My Disc 1 was scratched and unplayable on all of my players (DVD, Blu-ray, three laptops). Fortunately, the CD/DVD repair & cleaner kit that I purchased seems to have fixed the problem.

So be aware that the packaging is not the best. However if my situation is typical, an inexpensive CD/DVD repair & cleaner kit will help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Feb. 6 2009
This review is from: MacGyver: The Complete Series (39 Disc Set) (DVD)
I LOVE Macgyver! Sure, some of the stuff he does is a bit preposterous, but that's why we watch. Great escapism, 139 episodes of action adventure. When Macgyver first aired, I wouldn't watch it - sounded too much like a macho guy show. Boredom forced me to watch it one evening many years ago, and I became an instant fan. I missed a lot of the first couple of years, so I am glad to be able to go back and watch them all.

4.0 out of 5 stars MacGyver The Complete Series, Aug. 29 2010
This review is from: MacGyver: The Complete Series (39 Disc Set) (DVD)
This has been an interesting find; our family often gets teased about the MacGyver program because of our name "McIver".
I really didn't watch the program when it originally aired, so this set is interesting, funny, and great to watch.
We really enjoy the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big mistake, June 16 2010
Avid Reader (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MacGyver: The Complete Series (39 Disc Set) (DVD)
I bought this for my husband, at his request. Big mistake. He wants to watch it all the time. So that heroic MacGyver theme song resonates through the entire house. He loves it. LOVES IT! And I have to admit that is kinda stands the test of time in an odd way. Many episodes are bad, but so bad you have to love it at the same time as you groan at it. The acting is cheesy, the "love interests" are hilarious, and the inventiveness is super fun. Very clean entertainment as MacGyver is such a good guy. I am kind of surprised there is not a modern day remake. I am a little sick of it myself, but my husband gets a BIG kick out of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good set, July 15 2011
Coral Durkin - See all my reviews
This review is from: MacGyver: The Complete Series (39 Disc Set) (DVD)
Nice to have box sets of a series like this, just wish that the disks didn't sit in cardboard. Careful when taking out and putting back the disks that you don't scratch them too much.

3.0 out of 5 stars great yet un-worth, July 13 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars It's as good as it was the first time, July 15 2011
This review is from: MacGyver: The Complete Series (39 Disc Set) (DVD)
I am very happy to have made this purchase. It does take a long time to get though this set, but it is well worth it. By watching the whole set, you see how the charactors develop.
Do yourself a favour and pick this up. Might as well get some duct tape while you are out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, Nov. 23 2009
M. Andrieu "MMAY" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
I like it very much. It's like in my childhood (good old times). The only thing is that there's no subtitle and only english language.
But it's a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't regret buying this!, Jan. 15 2011
This review is from: MacGyver: The Complete Series (39 Disc Set) (DVD)
After finding a website that was broadcasting all of the old episodes of MacGyver, I was thrilled! I watched this show as a kid growing up in the mid-80s to early 90s. Then the website got shut down by the US State Attorney's office for copyright violation. Thus, my search began to track down the entire MacGyver collection. Leave it to Amazon.ca to have it...and at the best price.

Since receiving the MacGyver collection at my door the week before Christmas, I am now about half way through season 4. My wife is a very good sport about it and usually watches them with me. She enjoys some parts of the show but laughs at the cheesiness of others. I love all of it! I told my band mates I bought the series and the first thing my drummer asked me pertained to MacGyver's nemesis, Murdoc. We had a good laugh about it. I also joked that my singer, whose last name is Thornton, could be a distant relative of the Phoenix Foundation's Director of Operations, Peter Thornton.

After watching these episodes, it's amazing to see other stars that appeared in the show. Teri Hatcher has a recurring role as Penny Parker. James Hong has made a few appearances in the show as well as different characters. Most people would probably recognize him if they saw him. He is the go-to guy if a director needs an old Asian man for their show/movie. Nana Visitor (who was on Star Trek DS9) also has a few parts on the show. There are others but in order to remember them, I'd have to go back and start watching from season 1 again!

If you are a die-hard MacGyver fan, I would totally recommend that you purchase the entire series as a set. I managed to track down individual seasons at various stores throughout the Belleville, Ontario area but at the price stores were selling them for, it is a much better value to buy all 7 seasons in one set. Plus, you get the 2 made for TV specials too! I can't wait to see them!

4.0 out of 5 stars I Loved the Series, so I Bought it!, Sept. 13 2014
Exactly what they described
Minus Missing Episodes in Later Seasons.
It's most likely the result of the government banning some episodes from being
shown/sold in North America due to their content & the times we live in.
It's true, you can read about on the web from reputable sources
Not the fault of the Seller.
Exactly what they promised
Exactly why I bought it from them
I'm very satisfied!
More than enough reasons!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

MacGyver: The Complete Series (39 Disc Set)
MacGyver: The Complete Series (39 Disc Set) by Richard Dean Anderson (DVD - 2007)
CDN$ 119.99 CDN$ 105.40