5.0 out of 5 stars New Galapagos DVD more than you'd expect
I got this with an idea of "well I've seen this already but...", boy was I wrong, only now do I have an understanding of these incredible islands. This is a great 3 part series, detailing every major island, the sea life, and of course the tortoises. Incredible photography and very well written. Some disturbing footage of the plunder by the early sailors, and some...
Published on Nov. 2 2009 by Dean Wirth

3.0 out of 5 stars very interesting but lacking
Published on Feb. 5 2013 by kao83

3.0 out of 5 stars very interesting but lacking, Feb. 5 2013
Ce commentaire est de: Galapagos (BBC) (DVD)
i was all excited when i saw that this was available. i have been looking for a great dvd on the galapagos and was jipped a few times. this was alright. i really like to learn all the different facts about the animals that live in these places but it had a lot of other information which i wasn't expecting. i just found that it wasn't the same as say life or the planet earth series. i'm not as thrilled with it as i was hoping but it's still a good addition to my collection. david a. does not narrate this. tilda s. does. the voice is still relaxing. i can put it on and relax and fall alseep.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, Jan. 9 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Galapagos (BBC) (DVD)
Informative, some beautiful footage. If you've seen "Planet Earth" do not expect the same outstanding quality of film footage, but there are some incredible moments on this DVD. Bought for a nature documentary lover who watched it and thought it was fabulous. Multiple discs. This is not something you sit down and watch in 1 night as there are many chapters on one DVD. Amazing footage of turtles. Lots of "wow" moments in terms of beauty and learning new information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, March 13 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Galapagos: The Islands That Changed the World [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is a lot cheaper than visiting Galapagos and you get to see many things you can't in person but... Worth the purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars It is an awesome place and BBC have produced an equally awesome series ..., Nov. 27 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Galapagos (BBC) (DVD)
I bought this as a birthday gift for a friend who recently accompanied me to Ecuador and The Galapagos Islands. It is an awesome place and BBC have produced an equally awesome series of 3 episodes. Tilda Swinton, as narrator, is wonderful. The icing on the cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great In Every Way, Nov. 1 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I wish I had watched this before I was in the Galapagos. We watched a part of their DVD on board travelling to one of the islands. We stayed for 5 weeks and the what we did not see in person we watched on our wonderful DVD when we got home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Galapagos-Islands that changed the World, March 4 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Galapagos (BBC) (DVD)
Very good film depicting the history, wildlife, and geology of the Galapagos Islands. A must see if you wish to visit the Galapagos
(and you definitely should!!) or even after you have been there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful footage!, May 21 2015
John Zablosky "Apollocanada" (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
Stunning!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some scenes are magical, some a bit disapointing, May 2 2009
Very good photography most of the time. But one important section is a portrait of Charles Darwin. Filming a actor portraying Charles Darwin is not what I would call an animal documentary. If I want to see a fake Darwin, I can go to the museum.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor as a documentary but somewhat average as a work of art, May 4 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Galapagos (BBC) (DVD)
For one thing I rented this 3-parts documentary cheaply from a videoclub so I figure I didn't really lose anything even if I didn't really like it... When the first episode ended I wondered if I had learned anything interesting beside the fact that there's tortoises, birds and volcanoes on the Galapagos islands... I wasn't really interested in the islands itself since I've already seen a spectacular documentary about them, but with something coming from the respected BBC I figured I would get some quality entertainment. As it turn out as a documentary it's not worth much, for one thing the writing doesn't give much informations but plenty of things such as "a land lost in the middle of the Pacific ocean" or "each island has her particular landscape"... The picture has plenty of close-ups changing very rapidly so it's really hard to get a good general idea of anything, and considering the narrator doesn't really say anything when someone have seen a tortoise walking or a volcano eruption he'd seen all of them... The idea who caught my interest and that I don't remember having seen before is that they seem to have tried adding something by making it an entertaining work of art at the same time, by putting classical movie-style music among other things... The picture has been apparently filmed in high-definition Widescreen format, but technically the quality is really not good, it's possibly the transfer to DVD who has not been done correctly or compressed too much, since it come on 2 discs we're left wondering how it's possible... On the plus side the French version I rented has a 5.1 Surround soundtrack... Overall it's possibly a very nice try at creating something new artistically, but 2h30 is twice what would have been required to tell everything on the subject if they had done any good research... I'd say it may be rented cheaply as a curiosity, it's possible that someone less discriminating than me may have a good time watching it if he don't expect anything...

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow Shipping, Jan. 30 2011
Ce commentaire est de: Galapagos (BBC) (DVD)
After not receiving the item, I phoned Amazon and was told that they have no control over the U.S. or Canadian Post Office - really??? No assistance was offered with tracking the item to find out why it was taking longer than predicted to arrive.

Finally, 2 weeks after expected, the item arrived. Thanks for the assistance!

Galapagos: The Islands That Changed the World [Blu-ray]