5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best documentaries ever produced
If someone had told me 15 years ago that one day I would be able to see Galapagos islands in all their glory without visiting them, i would not have believed them. this is definitely something that justifies 1080p HD sets and blu ray media.
Video: Like i mentioned above the video is simply jaw dropping, each episode (three in total) is more revealing that the one it...
Published on Sept. 6 2008 by Toast

3.0 out of 5 stars very interesting but lacking
Published 18 months ago by kao83

5.0 out of 5 stars Great In Every Way, Nov. 1 2013
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I wish I had watched this before I was in the Galapagos. We watched a part of their DVD on board travelling to one of the islands. We stayed for 5 weeks and the what we did not see in person we watched on our wonderful DVD when we got home.

3.0 out of 5 stars very interesting but lacking, Feb. 5 2013
This review is from: Galapagos (DVD)
i was all excited when i saw that this was available. i have been looking for a great dvd on the galapagos and was jipped a few times. this was alright. i really like to learn all the different facts about the animals that live in these places but it had a lot of other information which i wasn't expecting. i just found that it wasn't the same as say life or the planet earth series. i'm not as thrilled with it as i was hoping but it's still a good addition to my collection. david a. does not narrate this. tilda s. does. the voice is still relaxing. i can put it on and relax and fall alseep.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Must Have Documentary, Oct. 19 2012
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First off I must say for just one disc the price is a touch on the high side, but this documentary doesn't disappoint.
This is indeed a great 3 part series, diving into detail of the islands, the sea life, and of course the tortoises from which its named. And lets not forget, the great Charles Darwin! This blu-ray as with every BBC documentary boasts Incredible photography and some very captivating scenes. The Blu-ray quality is right up there. The only thing missing by my standards was a David Attenborough narration. But I have no complaints with Tilda Swinton. Guess I've become spoiled over the years. All in all this Blu-ray is a must have, and is recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, Jan. 9 2012
This review is from: Galapagos (DVD)
Informative, some beautiful footage. If you've seen "Planet Earth" do not expect the same outstanding quality of film footage, but there are some incredible moments on this DVD. Bought for a nature documentary lover who watched it and thought it was fabulous. Multiple discs. This is not something you sit down and watch in 1 night as there are many chapters on one DVD. Amazing footage of turtles. Lots of "wow" moments in terms of beauty and learning new information.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some scenes are magical, some a bit disapointing, May 2 2009
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Very good photography most of the time. But one important section is a portrait of Charles Darwin. Filming a actor portraying Charles Darwin is not what I would call an animal documentary. If I want to see a fake Darwin, I can go to the museum.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor as a documentary but somewhat average as a work of art, May 4 2012
This review is from: Galapagos (DVD)
For one thing I rented this 3-parts documentary cheaply from a videoclub so I figure I didn't really lose anything even if I didn't really like it... When the first episode ended I wondered if I had learned anything interesting beside the fact that there's tortoises, birds and volcanoes on the Galapagos islands... I wasn't really interested in the islands itself since I've already seen a spectacular documentary about them, but with something coming from the respected BBC I figured I would get some quality entertainment. As it turn out as a documentary it's not worth much, for one thing the writing doesn't give much informations but plenty of things such as "a land lost in the middle of the Pacific ocean" or "each island has her particular landscape"... The picture has plenty of close-ups changing very rapidly so it's really hard to get a good general idea of anything, and considering the narrator doesn't really say anything when someone have seen a tortoise walking or a volcano eruption he'd seen all of them... The idea who caught my interest and that I don't remember having seen before is that they seem to have tried adding something by making it an entertaining work of art at the same time, by putting classical movie-style music among other things... The picture has been apparently filmed in high-definition Widescreen format, but technically the quality is really not good, it's possibly the transfer to DVD who has not been done correctly or compressed too much, since it come on 2 discs we're left wondering how it's possible... On the plus side the French version I rented has a 5.1 Surround soundtrack... Overall it's possibly a very nice try at creating something new artistically, but 2h30 is twice what would have been required to tell everything on the subject if they had done any good research... I'd say it may be rented cheaply as a curiosity, it's possible that someone less discriminating than me may have a good time watching it if he don't expect anything...

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow Shipping, Jan. 30 2011
This review is from: Galapagos (DVD)
After not receiving the item, I phoned Amazon and was told that they have no control over the U.S. or Canadian Post Office - really??? No assistance was offered with tracking the item to find out why it was taking longer than predicted to arrive.

Finally, 2 weeks after expected, the item arrived. Thanks for the assistance!

2.0 out of 5 stars A film with a hidden agenda!, March 18 2010
Sephora Kardas "SEPHORA" (Brampton, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I thought this would be a film about the Galapagos Islands, not a film about Charles Darwin and his crazy evolution theories! Yes, the scenery was breathtaking and some of the footage was incredible, but from the very beginning of the film when I started hearing words like "prehistoric" and was introduced to "the great Charles Darwin", I knew there was a hidden agenda. I thought it very convenient that they negleted to mention that when Darwin's book on the evolution theory was first published on November 24th, 1859 it was titled, "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life." For obvious reasons the title was later changed to "On the Origin of Species" in 1872.

The truth is that there's a lot more to Charles Darwin and his evolution theory than we are led to believe or care to find out for ourselves. Hitler believed in Darwin's evolution theory, particularly the "Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life" part. We all know how that turned out--6 million Jews died during the Holocaust. Evolution is a lie. It promotes hatred, discrimination and opression, and degrades the human race. Darwin's erroneous statement that the weak and powerless need to be oppressed, backed up by his unscientific theory, is one of the main factors behind the spread of inequality and injustice.

For anyone interested in learning the truth about the evolution theory, I would highly recommend listening to a series by Dr. Kent Hovind called "Creation. Evolution. Dinosaurs." a.k.a. "Creation Seminar" You will be blown away, I guarantee it. You can buy it online at [...]

Galapagos [Blu-ray]
Galapagos [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray - 2007)
CDN$ 30.98 CDN$ 26.99