4.0 out of 5 stars I loved it
Published 15 months ago by Bsmithscolaro

Published on Sept. 27 2007 by Jenny J.J.I.

3.0 out of 5 stars [2.5]--I don't know......... this movie just might bug you a little, Sept. 27 2007
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bug (Special Edition) (DVD)
I can't decide whether to rate this movie a 3 or a 2. Bug is the film version of a stage play - basically a two character psychological drama about the lethal combination of paranoia and loneliness. Ashley Judd plays a lonely bartender, divorced from a violent convict, living in a flop-house motel in the middle of some white trash desert hell, she's surviving without companionship or prospects and abusing any recreational substance she can acquire. Through a concatenation of circumstances, she ends up hooking up with a shy, polite drifter. He quickly progresses from sleeping on her floor to joining her in bed, and in her hopeless desert he seems to be a movable oasis.

Hmm, he's nice. But we got one slight problem....he's crazy.

It's fundamentally just two people in a single hotel room getting crazier and crazier. Each moment of the film tries to make us squirm a bit more than the preceding one. The harrowing denouement resembles that of Requiem for a Dream, except that the catalyst is madness rather than heroin.

In terms of commercial prospects ... well, as we say in Texas, this puppy was doomed from the get-go. It's the kind of movie where if it were done really poorly, people would hate it, and if it were done really well, people would hate it even more. Either way, it would provoke a lot of walk-outs and a lot of negative reactions. As it turns out, it is done quite well, but that just rachets up the ugliness of the viewing experience, and invites even higher levels of audience negativity. The script gradually increases the intensity of the characters' madness, which in turn amplifies the intensity of the audience's experience until the story explodes in a crescendo of destruction, as you might expect. (Not much room for a happy ending with this premise). Bug is effective enough at achieving its goal. Unfortunately, that goal basically consists of shocking us with deeper and deeper levels of dementia. I have to admit that the film did get under my skin, so to speak, and thoroughly creeped me out, so it's fair to say that the film is quite brilliant in its own way. If Edward Albee were a young man today, he might be exploring alienation with this sort of treatment rather than through "The Zoo Story". But brilliant or not, Bug represents a thoroughly depressing and unpleasant viewing experience, and that's not going to place this disc in the carts, and among the few who has purchased this disc, a high percentage will be pressing the eject button before the film ends.

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, July 25 2013
This review is from: Bug (Special Edition) (DVD)
I ordered this on a whim because I am a big Michael Shannon fan, I've always wanted to see it so I gave it a shot. I LOVE this movie, it's labeled as a horror movie when it is not, I think thats why people don't like it as much, and it's not the films fault just the marketing campaign. This movie is VERY disturbing on a mental level and really shows what happens when two damaged individuals are left alone in a motel room with only their mind to keep them company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 28 2014
different, a bit strange

3.0 out of 5 stars Very odd and certainly not for everyone, June 18 2011
Andre Farant (Ottawa, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bug (Special Edition) (DVD)
Directed by William Friedkin, director of the original Exorcist, this was an odd film. It is based on a play, which is obvious (takes place almost entirely within a single room), and, as such, focuses on characters. Builds very slowly but reaches a pretty satisfying crescendo and the performances are excellent. Not a pleasant movie and not for every one, but worth watching if you like disturbing and character-driven (think, Naked Lunch, Pi, Barton Fink, but not quite as creative).

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, Aug. 24 2014
not too good

1.0 out of 5 stars Bug...I can't believe I watched it completely..., Nov. 26 2010
This review is from: Bug (Special Edition) (DVD)
This so called movie was a MAJOR deception!!!

I honestly thought it would get better so I hung in there till the end.

This movie was slow, and nothing that makes you want to watch it to the end besides sheer curiosity and even then, you will just look the end credits with a face of WTF?

Wasted 2 hours of my life. By far the worst movie I saw in a freaken long time.

Evade it. don't watch it nor rent it.

Steer clear. You have been warned...

1.0 out of 5 stars BUG BUGGED ME!, March 29 2008
This review is from: Bug (Special Edition) (DVD)
This movie is TERRIBLE. I won't even waste your time writing about it. Don't even rent it! Don't even LOOK at it on store shelves! And if you do... Well you've been warned.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be worse!!, July 5 2008
Keivan (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bug (Special Edition) (DVD)
I waisted 100 minutes watching this movie without knowing so I wouldn't waist 1 more minute of anyone's time to write more!

Bug (Special Edition)
Bug (Special Edition) by Ashley Judd (DVD - 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 1.04