4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Watching
The classic tale is a litterary masterpiece, the atmospher & style stands out in BluRay. Vlad the Impaler's red suit of armour is visually stunning as he renounces God & stabs the heart of the cross. Sadie Frost looks sexy as the life is slowly sapped from her beautiful neck, while Winnona Ryder does a good job as her friend Madam Mina.

Strong performances...
Published on Aug. 22 2011 by ciccio

3.0 out of 5 stars Blood and Sex Sell Well
Yes, both blood and sex can do wonders for a film at the box office, so when you can combine them in a movie like "Bram Stoker's Dracula", of course you'll have a hit. You may not, however, have a truly good movie, but that's another matter.
Published on Oct. 15 2001 by Linda McDonnell

3.0 out of 5 stars Blood and Sex Sell Well, Oct. 15 2001
Linda McDonnell "TutorGal" (Brooklyn, U.S.A) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bram Stokers Dracula (VHS Tape)
This was a somewhat uncomfortably sex-filled movie, so you'll have to be mindful of who you're seeing it with, especially that scene when the beastly vampire is having his way with a willing maiden in the garden. Pass the smelling salts over to Aunt Bee for that one!
Anthony Hopkins gets my vote for best sell-out ham acting since Laurence Olivier's Van Helsing from the Frank Langella version. Once those Brits get that "Sir" title, they just go to pot!
It is interesting, though, to see a sympathetic portrayal of Count Dracula, but you see, that's NOT "Bram Stoker's" version, so this film ought rightly to have been named, "Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula" to give credit where it is due.
Sink your teeth into this one, if taking all this into consideration, you're game.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the same director as Apocolypse Now???, Nov. 21 2002
juicemofo (Fredonia, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I know I'm pretty much alone in saying this but I really didn't like this movie. This movie really feels like it fails to go anywhere. This movie doesn't know what ideas it wants to convey or who it wants it's characters to be. Is Dracula a bad guy or a tragic figure? We'll never know for sure except well... when he looks ugly he's evil and... it's scary... isn't it??? This movie trys to scare you and trys to show you romance and as if it weren't bad enough it couldn't make up it's mind... well it fails at both. The creatures in this movie are more corny than scary such as Dracula in a very fake looking bat-form. Characters are so undeveloped, we have no insight into any of their personalities (except Lucy) and the performance by Keanau is flater than usual and Anthony Hopkins gives us a huge disappointment. His character is as goofy and senseless as this whole movie. The "beautiful" scenery and photography can't even save this film, even if it truly was beautiful.

1.0 out of 5 stars I would scream with disgust if I weren't yawning..., Feb. 26 2001
Corky (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
Read Bram Stoker's Dracula FIRST. Please. Preferably late at night, in bed, with only one light on beside you. And let the shudders run deliciously up your spine.
Then watch this. If you must.
What bothers me most is the gall of Coppola to call it *Bram Stoker's* Dracula. It isn't. It is visually gorgeous, erotic, if sexist (why's Sadie Frost always popping out of her top??) and presents an interesting reason for why Dracul became Dracula. As a love story, it worked, and in that context I enjoyed the relationship between Mina/Elizabeta and Dracul (during a second viewing). But I was expecting a version more faithful to the original, so was very disappointed and unable to appreciate it the first time around. I do think it is a lovely movie, but the acting left me cold (Anthony Hopkins couldn't even take it seriously, why should I?). So it gets one star, for being nowhere near as captivating as the novel, for the misleading title, and generally disappointing feel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bram Stoker's?, Aug. 5 2002
By A Customer
I had just finished reading the book Dracula, and I decided to watch this movie. It was so disappointing. The characters were all there, but most of the movie was not even in the book. I did not at all understand the part about Dracula's obsession with Mina, that did not at all happen in the book. And I guess I must have been the only person who did not feel that the whole blood sucking routine was not at all sexual, what was the point of having women running around topless? (I must have missed that part in the book) I also thought the the character of Mina was terribly written; in the book, I felt that she was one of the most respectable characters, and truly loved her husband, however, in this movie I really hated her, and I don't think the viewer was supposed to.
The whole movie in general was overly done, and not that bad, but I would not have a problem with it, just don't call it Bram Stoker's.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should Remove Bram Stoker's Name From The Title!, Nov. 3 2002
Erik Morton "Erik Morton" (Carmel, CA United States) - See all my reviews
By the title, I expected a straight forward adaptation of Bram Stoker's original all-time classic. But don't be fooled as I was; this tragic piece of sex-and-gore falls flat in the end, and exploits Bram Stoker's good name.
The acting by Gary Oldman and Winona Ryder are very good, actually, but Keanu Reeves' performance as Johnathon Harker is one of his all-time worst. Anthony Hopkins is the only relief, who seems to be having a blast as the eccentric scientist/vampire killer Abraham Van Helsing, and is very entertaining to watch.
There's just too much emphasis on sex and cool photograpgy, rather than spending time trying to scare you; it's NOT SCARY!
You wanna see good Dracula? Then go see the 1958 Hammer verion (it's great!), or even the Mel Brooks spoof of it! Anything's better than waisting your time with this poor excuse for a horror film!

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh my god!, July 2 2003
Esenada "oedipus92" (Adelaide, Australia) - See all my reviews
One of the worst movies on the subject ever made. A shocking script and terrible performances all round make this a laughable installation to the Dracula legend. Gary Oldman is at his usual over-acting worst, and Keanu Reeves is shocking as Jonathan Harker, effecting the worst English accent in the history of cinema. Winona Ryder bored my packet off; the exchanges between her and Reeves were sickening along with the rest of the script, Harker: We can be married when I return.
Mina: Oh Jonathan.....Jonathan....Oh Jonathan.....
I'm sorry if I seem harsh, but please try and avoid this movie lest you like it. And of course we had to have a big American, with a big moustache and a big knife because obviously Mr Coppola thought our interest could not be aroused without an American charater. Balls, pure balls.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap--read the book, people!, May 19 2004
By A Customer
This film is so far off the book it can barely be called the same thing, and how they managed to incorporate the author's name in the title is beyond me. Keanu Reeves is laughable trying to mimic a posh British accent, and the high amount of sex thrown in at any slow point (none of which occurs in the story) is enough to put you off entirely. The performances are pablum, and even Anthony Hopkins, who has saved other movies in his time, could not pull this one out of the dung pile for me or anyone I know. All I can say is thank God Coppola did The Godfather, because without that, where would he be with films like this? There are much better Draculas out there, notably the original, silent German film Nosferatu, which actually FOLLOWS THE BOOK, a concept apparently lost on the makers of this film.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Perverted Lab Experiment, Sept. 26 2002
By A Customer
... You people that have rated this film 5 stars need your heads examined. Yes, I do agree with the fantastic color,the special effects, breathtaking costumes,the surround sound effects, but what else is there for peep sake!!. The story is twisted, girls are getting raped by Satan himself, Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves acting is out of place. The only person that fits in this movie is anthony Hopkins, at least his british accent is authentic. This movie is so twisted that even Count Dracul looks like he belongs in one of the Star War films and not to mention Dracula's slave who craves insects and cats.
Not only is this film offensive, but a tremendous dissapointment to all Dracula film lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Watching, Aug. 22 2011
This review is from: Bram Stoker's Dracula [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)

Strong performances from Keanu Reeves, Anthony Hopkins & the supporting cast; as it is a proper projection of the novel, you should really enjoy this in HD if you have never watched it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coppola's Dracula is the Best Vampire Movie, Dec 2 2014
This review is from: Bram Stoker's Dracula [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
I have seen a lot of vampire movies in my life and this is the best. Spanish Dracula comes pretty close and the Hammer movies are fun but this is the best. The visuals and costumes are inspiring. Everything about this movies is good. Dracula is depicted as a demon that lives outside the grace of God so he is vulnerable to crosses, holy water, communion wafers, etc. I don't like movies that depict vampires as scientific monsters that are allergic to sunlight. When I was 12 and saw this movie it really had a significant impact on my life. I didn't know there was an Eastern Orthodox church or very much about Christian history. This movie inspired me to learn more about the history of the Church. I even started wearing a cross for a few years to protect me from vampires. I am not joking about that. I don't like celebrities but I feel as time goes on people will forget all the other roles these actors had so then it will just be actors in this movie. Right now I have holy water in my house, again, probably because of this movie.

Bram Stoker's Dracula [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
Bram Stoker's Dracula [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) by Francis Coppola (Blu-ray - 2007)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 9.83