Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver march Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store boutiques-francophones sports Tools Family

Format: DVD|Change

on February 16, 2001
Believe it or not, this overlooked film directed by Michael Mann of "Miami Vice" fame is better than Silence of the Lambs. If you liked Silence then you will like this film as well.
on August 7, 2001
...About half way through the movie, I realized I had seen it before. Sock ties, A bow legged detective, medicore bad guys and overall low end intensity make this a very average movie.
on February 20, 2001
an ok movie not even close to being on the same level with silence, or hannibal for that matter, which i feel was a major step down from silence. in short, its an average movie.
on February 6, 2001
A very silly movie, all flash and no substance. Completely unmemorable, except as a footnote to the far more interesting Silence of the Lambs.
on July 18, 2002
A well made suspence-thriller on a low budget. Absolutely worth your time...
on November 12, 2015
This movie has always been the prelude to Silence of the Lambs for me.
on January 6, 2015
An earlier version of Red Dragon of the Hannibal series.
on March 25, 2016
je suis tres satisfait, livraison rapide, merci
on November 8, 2002
Plus point: pretty close in plot structure to original, Jack Crawford in particular. Minus points: flat plotting, unadventurous acting, the ending is changed to a "feel-good" cop-out, and most importantly the villain is never allowed really to blossom into his full hideous tattooed self. He remains a great big lumbering cipher, and Hannibal is almost invisible: result, the only character to engage you is the brought-out-of-retirement detective, and he's busy trying to act "tortured but fascinated" by looking confused or (more often) constipated throughout. Compare it to "Silence of the lambs": Cox just doesn't match up to Hopkins at all. Most of all, "Silence" has atmosphere, and a creative intelligence prowling behind the camera: "Manhunter" feels like a cheap made-for-TV little number. The cinematography is frequently from the "nice postcard of sunset over the bay" school. Read the book instead. I haven't seen the remake yet, but it has to be better. Final point: the soundtrack is only appropriate as the film has been made as a nasty little thriller rather than the horror film they should have attempted. It takes a real negative talent to take a book like "Red Dragon", leave out the beast itself and end up with this utter turkey.
on October 29, 2002
I know that the peoples' opinions on this movie depend on which of the Hannibal movies they saw first. If you're like me and saw Silence Of The Lambs(1991, Directed by Jonathan Demme) and Red Dragon(2002, Directed by Brett Ratner) , or Hannibal(2001, Directed by Ridley Scott(Not as good as Silence and definitely not as good as Red Dragon)) then you won't really be able to accept Brian Cox as Hannibal. I saw Anthony Hopkins in the role before I saw Cox so when I started to watch Manhunter, I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. Especially when I found out the Mann decided to leave out Dolarhyde's tattoo. THAT TATTOO "MICHAEL" HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH WHO DOLARHYDE IS. That tattoo shows the audience just who(what) he THINKS he is. I'm sorry, I watched the Documentary before the film, and when I heard that they left the tattoo out, that completely alienated me from this movie. Sorry Mann, but Jonathan Demme's, Brett Ratner's, AND even Ridley Scott's Lecter movies outpace yours by several miles. But if I had seen this one before all the others, then I probably would have thought that it was better than the others. I am 17 and even I know that Anthony Hopkins is great as Lecter(get the spelling through your heads LECTER). My dad bought the 2-pack of Silence and Hannibal, along with Manhunter as part of a special sale at Best Buy. I wish now that he had left Manhunter out.