5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and intelligent
Published on July 15 2004 by goliath8888

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Young for This?
Published on July 19 2004 by Melissa McCauley

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and intelligent, July 15 2004
goliath8888 "goliath8888" (Leawood, Kansas United States) - See all my reviews
While I am nowhere near a 50 something, and closer to a 30 something, I can still appreciate an intelligent romantic comedy with a convincing and witty cast. I love Diane Keaton's character, especially with her quirky hang-ups (no pun.) Humor, charm, intellect and vulnerability ring true for both her and Nicholson, to whom before this movie, I was not a huge fan. It inspires us all to develop our skills and talents and to never give up on finding our soul mate, regardless of how late in life he/she might arrive. It was precious in some parts, and soulful in others. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

4.0 out of 5 stars equal parts comedy/romance/drama, Feb. 1 2008
falcon "disdressed12" (canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Something's Gotta Give (Bilingual) (DVD)
for once,we have a comedy/romance/drama that actually contains all
three elements in pretty equal measure.the main cast are all very good
in this one,as are the supporting players.i found the movie
heartwarming and touching,without being maudlin.the comedy bits are
handled well as are the dramatic and romantic moments.the movie is
dramatic without being melodramatic.the romantic moments are tender,but
not overdone.the comics moments are funny without being silly.the laugh
are honest in this movie.i felt the dialogue was sharp and witty,and
the story overall is written well.this is what might be considered a
"chick flick",but i'm a guy and i liked it.for me Something's Gotta
Give is a 4/5

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Young for This?, July 19 2004
Melissa McCauley (North Little Rock, AR) - See all my reviews
Perhaps at 34 I am too young to 'get' this movie. I was hoping for a great romantic comedy, but found this one fell flat. Not even in the same universe as As Good as It Gets. After Jack Nicholson's character is stranded at Diane Keaton's house, I just lost interest. I didn't think he was anyone's dream man, and their love scene was frankly more than a little embarrassing. And the ending! Let's just say I find it very hard to believe a 60-something leopard would change his spots.

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Between Nicholson & Keaton, July 12 2004
Something's Gotta Give is a romantic comedy that pairs Jack Nicholson & Diane Keaton for the first time since 1981's Reds. The film is a romantic comedy about Harry Sanborn (Mr. Nicholson), a 63-year-old playboy who is infamous for never having been married. Harry has a penchant for women half his age and the film opens with him driving to the Hamptons home of 30-year-old Marin (Amanda Peet). Marin's mother is a famous playwright, Erica Barry (Ms. Keaton) who is not supposed home. While Harry is in the kitchen, Erica & her sister Zoe (Frances McDormand) come into the house and mistake him for an intruder. When Erica finds out he is dating her daughter, she immediately dislikes Harry. While engaged in some foreplay with Marin, Harry suffers a mild heart attack and is rushed to hospital. The scene of Harry being taken in on a gurney will be repeated several times throughout the film. The attending physician, Dr. Julian Mercer, turns out to be a big fan of Erica's and asks her out to dinner. Harry is forced to recuperate at Erica's house and sparks fly between the two and they end up sleeping together. The romance doesn't last as Harry is not the commitment type and Erica is heartbroken. The play Erica is writing ends up to be about the their relationship and it is a smash hit and Erica ends up with Julian. Harry has second thoughts about the relationship and eventually tracks Erica down to Paris where she is with Julian. In the end, Erica & Harry end up together with Marin being married and having a baby. Ms. Keaton won a great deal of praise for her role including winning a Golden Globe and garnering an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress. While Ms. Keaton is good in her role, her character seems a bit too whiny. The premise of the movie is supposed to be that middle-aged woman are desirable as they have strength, smarts and looks even though middle-aged men overlook them for younger women. Ms. Keaton comes off as flighty and emotionally high strung that puts her against the premises. Her relationship with the much younger doctor is the retort to Harry's dalliances with younger women, but it doesn't seem to be a believable relationship. Mr. Nicholson is perfect in his role, as he is essentially playing a character he has played numerous times. Ms. Peet is also quite good as is Ms. McDormand in a under utilized part.

2.0 out of 5 stars No More Jack, Please, July 5 2004
By A Customer
That's it. No more. After this, I refuse to watch another movie based on the absolutely ludicrous proposition that Jack Nicholson is sexy or even charming. In this one, he is, at best, a leering repulsive old roue and no amount of cute dialogue can obscure it.
At one point, the actress playing Keaton's twenty-something daughter gushes about how attracted she was by Nicholson's personality. That scene underlines the utter dishonesty of this movie because it is obvious to any discerning female that all he has to offer is money and clout. I wondered how the mother in this movie would have reacted to the notion that her daughter was doing a little quid pro quo with a powerful old guy in order to upgrade her wardrobe or whatever. It might have made things more interesting and believable. But, unfortunately, we are supposed to like the characters in this movie.
Without Nicholson it might have worked. As it was, the intimate scenes between him and both actresses playing mother and daughter were redolent with all sorts of unpleasant and yucky speculations.
I've read that some women used to find Nicholson attractive. I believe it. I don't understand it, but I believe it. I just don't believe that any self respecting woman of any age would still do so. (As for any woman choosing him over Keneau Reeves, I think others here have already expressed the appropriate amount of incredulity.)
Hollywood honchos must identify with the Nicholson brand of crass powerful-old-guy horniness. (He is their fantasy of themselves still suavely pulling the chicks despite the fact that he and they retain not a shred of personal attractiveness.) That must be why he still gets these leading man parts. Well, it must stop.
There are mature actors out there who can play believable leading men if the script calls for autumnal romance; that elegant collection of still beautiful bones, Paul Newman, for one, Warren Beatty for another (just imagine Beatty and Keaton together). And then there is James Garner, no longer beautiful but still sexy as hell with his laid back charm.
So, Hollywood, hear my plea, no more shots of Jack Nicholson's aging dimpled butt. Please. I would like to think that there is a limit to how low western civilization can sink.
One more thing, why do protagonists in movies like this have to be world famous? When did that start? Keaton's a world famous playwright. Nicholson's a world famous producer. Jeeze Marie!
Tell you what, skip this movie and watch one with the same theme where the protagonists are a skirt-chasing middle-aged dentist and his dowdy receptionist. I am speaking of the wonderful "Cactus Flower" with Walter Matthau, Ingrid Bergman, and...sigh...Goldie Hawn in her first magical incarnation.
Take my advice. It will make you so happy.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not so bad, June 29 2004
As a young person I enjoyed it (to an extent) anyway. As everyone knows, the predictable plot goes like this: Diane Keaton is an old writer who's uptight and rents a house to write a play, Jack Nicholson is an old rap producer who was a ladies man, and somehow they fall in love. The problem is it's length. The movie is like 130 minutes long but could've easily been 115 minutes long. It draws out the plot too much: it's pretty at ease with its pacing (especially at the beginning) before it gets to the plot fully.
This movie spends too much time trying to develop the characters and story which are both derivative and unoriginal. It goes through the motions: introduce both characters and their behavior, have them repel off another in the beginning, then show a spark of relationship growth, put something in the way, nearly break apart the relationship, then get back together in the end, despite all their differences. Although some of this stuff in undeniably funny (like Jack Nicholson's hospital visit, or watching Keaton's play) it just moves too slowly to a conclusion anyone can guess from a mile away.
Particularly towards the ending, which is too drawn out as a montage of Nicholson visiting his old loves gives a predictable conclusion, as does the scene where Keaton and Keanu Reeves are in a diner where Nicholson confronts them. We know that Reeves' young character who truly appreciates Keaton will not end up with Keaton because Nicholson has a deeper bond with her: it's one of those movie situations that will never happen in real life. The movie is also slick as hell, with its long length, clean direction, and obviously middle-aged target audience.
It does feel like a sitcom plot, but this movie is a lot better than You've Got Mail or any other idiotic cute little romantic movie that is aimed mostly towards older audiences. It's fun for a little while to see the movie play out (exactly like you know it will) but that's light praise and another way of saying, "it excels in its formula". Anyway, if you're stuck watching this with your mom/wife/girlfriend, don't feel too bad, because it definitely has laughs and is better than most middle-of-the-road romantic comedies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jack's the butt of the joke!, June 27 2004
Larry Scantlebury (Ypsilanti, MI United States) - See all my reviews
The Bible tells us something along the lines of David, King, Warrior, Dude Extraordinaire, spies Bathsheba, " . . .a beautiful woman bathing." This is about 3000 years ago. So the facts of life are that men are attracted to beautiful (read YOUNGER) women. Is this fair? No. Is this stupid? Very. Just when our crowd is intrigued with the intelligence, wisdom, insight, humor and magnetism of women our age, somebody's moron ex-brother in law marries Brie from the typing pool 30 years younger than him. Is it flawed? Terribly. Is it embarrassing? Quite. Is it funny? I'm sorry. I don't think so.
You know somehow they talked Diane Keaton into getting naked and Nicholson into walking around with his behind hanging out. I wasn't prepared for that. It seemed prurient, pandering. I mean, do you want to see your Aunt Estelle who's 60 naked? Or Uncle Ernie who landed on Omaha Beach nude?
Anyhow, yeah, they're great actors but the movie was a letdown. I felt like the group therapy scene from Nicholsen's tour de force, "Cuckoo's Nest." It was funny . . . but really not. Larry Scantlebury. 3 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Something's gotta go, June 25 2004
Looking at the impressive cast made up of Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, Frances McDormand, Keanu Reeves, and Amanda Peet, one might think that this would be a brilliant film. In actuality, it's more of a brilliant facade.
First of all, the movie could have been pulled off in half the time that it was. I am not usually a person to get restless while watching movies, and after a half hour, I was thinking, 'Is it done yet?' It seemed to drag on and on and on, even though it was just barely over two hours.
Secondly, the plot is painfully cliche and utterly predictable. I knew what was going to happen far before it did. The ending would have been much better and much less cliche if Nicholson did not go to Paris (who does that sort of thing?!) and just got over Keaton. I don't know. It was a little too sappy for me.
And finally, I could have done without the weird sex scene. It didn't do it for me, and I don't enjoy see Nicholson getting it on because, frankly, he's sort of gross. I would have liked it much more if it were Keanu Reeves instead.
Overall, the movie was incredibly lame. Unless you enjoy predictable plot points and really long, sappy films, I wouldn't recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must See Film - Keaton & Nicholson Are A Real Treat!, June 12 2004
Boy did I love this film!! I needed a good laugh...and I found myself with a stitch in my side from laughter. I also found a few unexpected tears in my eyes. There are definitely poignant moments here. But then, I happen to be a woman "of a certain age" so perhaps I really related. Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholson, a superb supporting cast and writer-director Nancy Meyers have provided entertainment at its best with "Something's Gotta Give." (I hate the movie's title, though. Surely someone could have come up with something more apt and original).
Harry Sanborn, (Nicholson), a 63 year-old music industry mogul, is a renowned bachelor who prefers his women under 30 and gorgeous. He is allergic to commitment - the word is not even in his vocabulary. Erica Barry is a 50-something divorcee and a super successful playwright. Her daughter, 20-something Marin, (lovely Amanda Peet), brings her latest lover (Sanborn), to their Hamptons summer home for the weekend and - Surprise(!) - finds Mommy home too. The interaction and verbal sparring between the 4, (including Aunt Zoe, played by Frances McDormand as Keaton's feminist sister), is a riot. Unfortunately Harry's hard living catches up with him during this, of all weekends, and he has a heart attack. Keaton saves him with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. And hunky Dr. Julian Mercer (Keanu Reeves) forces him to remain at the Barry home to recuperate. Then the fun really begins.
The combination of Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson is an absolute joyous one. Two great actors, with plenty of chemistry between them, are at their best - they sizzle! As do Keanu Reeves and Keaton. She gets all the great guys...deservedly so. The script is witty, the dialogue is acerbic...and tender at times. The characters have depth and room to grow - which they certainly do. There may be some weak moments - the ending is slightly schmaltzy, but I loved it anyway and wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
So, if you're in the mood for a good flick that will make you laugh and touch your heart - this is the one. Highly recommended!
JANA

1.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, Diane Keaton's career, June 10 2004
J. Laudermilch "The snarky critic" (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
I really wish that Diane Keaton would just give up already. This movie had potential to be a very sweet, romantic comedy involving older adults, but instead it was silly and stupid. Jack Nicholson plays what he seems to play best: the wise cracking bachelor. You've seen it before (As Good as it Gets), and you've also seen it done much better (About Schmidt, without the bachelor part). My problem came from Ms. Keaton who over acted her way throughout the entire movie. Case in point: the crying montage. I realize that this was supposed to be funny, but instead I was deeply embarrassed for Ms. Keaton. I wanted to crawl in a hole for her. No one does these kinds of scenes better than Sally Field (see Soap Dish) and Ms. Keaton should really stop trying. I saw a bit of over acting oozing from her in First Wives Club, but it is fully developed in this movie. Since I have no other choice lower than one star, I will award that to Keanu Reeves, who surprised me by being the one who could actually act in this movie.

Something's Gotta Give (Bilingual)
Something's Gotta Give (Bilingual) by Nancy Meyers (DVD - 2006)
CDN$ 11.97