Intro Note: My original review of MAGIC has generated a lot of votes, but also a lot of negative backlash, so I thought I would elaborate on a few things before we get to the review proper. First, I am posting a revised version of the review. The original is still listed on Amazon.co.uk. Now onward.

When I wrote this review back in early October, I made it...
Published 23 months ago by Mike London

3.0 out of 5 stars CD sound quality KILLS music
Like music and lyrics on this album.
But terrible CD sound quality kills all the best impressions.
Columbia must think about free replacement for better sounding version of this CD.
I'm angry !!!
Published on Dec 9 2007 by Konstantin Chertkov

5.0 out of 5 stars Springsteen's spiritual successor to BORN IN THE USA; best album of 2007, October 12, 2007, Sept. 1 2012
Mike London "MAC" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Magic (Vinyl) (LP Record)

When I wrote this review back in early October, I made it quite clear that, although I like Springsteen's music, I haven't taken the time to go through his discography like I have with other musicians. My original review was written from a point of view of a middle-of-the-road Springsteen fan. Although Springsteen obviously has a very strong, devoted fanbase, I think my status as a good, but not hardcore, fan represents a good proportion of potential listeners for this album, and so is a valid or helpful review.

I freely confessed I hadn't listen to all of his albums, though I have a passing familiarity with most of them. People really took me to task for not having heard TUNNEL OF LOVE, which is USA's followup, even though I made it clear I haven't listened to Springsteen as extensively as I have other musicians due to time and money. Yes, you an be a fan of Springsteen and not have heard TUNNEL. I'm a Tom Waits fan and there's a lot of his albums I haven't heard all the way through.

Since I posted the review, I have taken the time to listen to TUNNEL, and have even wrote a review of it for Amazon. It's quite good, and it's a perfect bridge between USA and MAGIC. I consider it his pop trilogy, much like NEBRASKA, TOM JOAD, and DEVILS & DUST is his acoustic/folk trilogy.

Though I've been accused of "not being a fan" because I hadn't heard TUNNEL, listening to it really didn't radically change my position on MAGIC. It only slightly modified it.

All major artists have various populations in their fanbases. I count myself hardcore when it comes to Bob Dylan (see my review for the new DYLAN compilation for further elaboration). With Springsteen, I've always liked his music. But just remember one thing. Each album services the various populations in different ways, and I was writing from a different perspective than those who have followed Bruce for years and have all his records memorized and been to lots of his shows. But it doesn't mean I'm not a fan, or that Bruce's music doesn't move me.

Because it does.

Mike London, November 16, 2007
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revised Review

I also have another confession. I've been listening to this album incessantly for the past month, since early September from the version leaked on the internet. Now, if history repeats itself like Radiohead with KID A back in 2000, this prerelease leak should drive sells. I know it made me want to buy it. I can't stop listening to it. We haven't heard Bruce do a real pop album like this for years, and it's great to hear him do a new record in vein of TUNNEL and USA.

Of course, a big reason for the great sound is Springsteen is back with the E Streeet Band. Springsteen would not use the E Street Band on an album for a full eighteen years following USA. They finally resurfaced on the 2002 effort THE RISING. And while THE RISING is certainly a fine record, it was largely preoccupied with the post 9/11 universe we as the international community have been thrust into.

While Springsteen has been active releasing albums since then, he didn't use the band, and the albums he did release were either folk or bluegrass driven. Which is not to say they're bad albums. DEVILS & DUST is great, especially the title cut. SEEGER SESSIONS is an interesting, and very fun, history lesson about Pete Seeger, even if he did ax the sound equipment at Dylan's Newport appearance in 1965. But those looking for Springsteen's rock sound will be disappointed by them.

But not now. MAGIC is the album we've been waiting for for a long time. While there are some quite serious moments, overall Springsteen just lets his hair down and doing some great pop rock and roll in a way that only he can.

Without a doubt, MAGIC is one of Springsteen's funnest albums in the last twenty five years. In fact, I would argue that MAGIC is closest to that seminal 1984 masterpiece and TUNNEL OF LOVE out of all of Springsteen's previous albums. MAGIC feels very much akin to those two towering records.

To me, these three albums are Springsteen's harrowing forays into pop music, and sound very much like a pop-trilogy.

BORN IN THE USA is a strange animal. Musically, it's upbeat, it's poppy, it's just fun to listen too. BORN IN THE USA, though very pop-driven, had a dark pessimism underbelly that has always been a constant in Springsteen's early records. Lyrically, however, the album featured the characters in the songs following the same dark, desperate fate that most of Springsteen's narrators did on DARKNESS, THE RIVER, NEBRASKA, etc. USA dressed up Springsteen's bitter stories about his down-on-their-luck characters in such brilliantly poppy music that the Reagan administration famously used the title cut in their bid for reelection. The political publicist machine can be pretty damned oblivious at times.

TUNNEL OF LOVE examines marriage, love, and the failures of commitment in a heart-breaking way. TUNNEL lacks the strange dichotomy so apparent with USA between lyrical outlook (USA's lyrics are more akin to singer-songwriter and blues than pop) and actual music. But TUNNEL is a much different record than either lyrically, and is a rather devastating and insightful analysis of relationships between the sexes.

MAGIC, on the other hand, is just fun, but, like USA, can be rather deceiving if you listen only to the music and don't pay that much attention to the lyrics. There's a wistful nostalgia here that we haven't seen from Springsteen before, a remembrance of things past. There's anger here too ("Radio Nowhere", a diatribe against the radio landscape of the new millennium, "Last to Die", a politically charged rocker, and the title track, a song that can unfortunately apply to several different government administrations).

Springsteen makes some serious statements on MAGIC, but he still manages to make the whole affair quite fun, and there are a few numbers here that sound like Springsteen playing rock and roll and pop music just for the hell of it. All the songs sound like they belong together, with the sole exception of the hidden track "Terry's Song", a tribute to one of his friends who died. While a pleasant enough song, doesn't really do a lot for me. While there are some dark undercurrents on MAGIC, the sound itself is rather glorious. Especially given how long we haven't really got to hear something like this from Bruce.

Another thing that should be mentioned is the way in which Brendan O'Brien, the album's producer (also affiliated with Pearl Jam, Neil Young, and any number of major rock acts), and Springsteen's chose to record it. Working around the band's busy schedule, they would record their own parts solo with O'Brien producing, and then O'Brien would assemble all the different tracks into a finished song. The sole exception to this recording process was the Big Man, Clarence Clemmons, the E Street Band's famous saxophonist. Springsteen personally oversaw all of Clemmons' sessions, due to the rich dynamic relationship they have with one another.

While this protools method of recording albums can sap modern music of their vitality, it's amazing how organic and lived in the music feels. Of course, this is Springsteen, and this is the E Street band, so they obviously know how to make great music. What a backing band they truly are.

Like most of Springsteen's music, none of this is disposable music. The best pop never is.

Ultimately, MAGIC is probably the best album for 2007. For those Springsteen fans who didn't much care for DEVILS & DUST and SEEGER SESSIONS, rejoice! We have Springsteen making some phenomenal rock and roll at long last!
Original Review
Bruce Springsteen - Magic October 10, 2007
Springsteen's spiritual successor to BORN IN THE USA; best album of 2007

I must confess, ever since I learned about MAGIC, Springsteen's newest, I was pretty excited. Though I haven't gotten into Springsteen the same extent I've gotten into some other rock giants (the biggest being Bob Dylan), I proudly count myself among his fans, though not, perhaps, a card carrying member of the Asbury Fan Club (or Cult perhaps would be a better term).

Without a doubt, MAGIC is one of Springsteen's funnest albums in the last twenty five years, and his flat out best pop album since BORN IN THE USA. In fact, I would argue that MAGIC is closest akin to that seminal 1984 masterpiece out of all of Springsteen's previous albums.

Though I haven't heard TUNNEL OF LOVE, USA's chronological followup, for my money MAGIC sounds like the true sequel. Springsteen would not use the E Street Band on an album for a full eighteen years following USA. They finally resurfaced on the 2002 effort THE RISING. And while THE RISING is certainly a fine record, it was largely preoccupied with the post 9/11 universe we as the international community have been thrust into.

But not now. MAGIC is the album we've been waiting for for a long time. While there are some serious moments ("Radio Nowhere", a diatribe against the radio landscape of the new millennium, "Last to Die", the only real politically charged song on the entire album), overall MAGIC is a celebration of life, of freedom, of Springsteen just letting his hair down and doing some great pop rock and roll.

BORN IN THE USA is a strange animal. Musically, it's upbeat, it's poppy, it's just fun to listen too. Lyrically, however, the album featured the characters in the songs following the same dark, desperate fate that most of Springsteen's narrators did on DARKNESS, THE RIVER, NEBRASKA, etc. USA dressed up Springsteen's bitter stories about his down-on-their-luck characters in such brilliantly poppy music that the Reagan administration famously used the title cut in their bid for reelection. The political publicist machine can be pretty damned oblivious at times.

MAGIC, on the other hand, has USA's same pop rock sensibilities, but minus the overarching pessimism. While there are some nostalgic moments on the album, overall, MAGIC is the truest sequel to BORN IN THE USA that we have yet seen, and is in many ways unique to Springsteen's canon. Originally THE RIVER was to be a single album of lighthearted songs called THE TIES THAT BIND. Twenty Seven years later we get that album, a pop album where Springsteen's not trying to make an overarching statement. And what a great rock album it is.

This is Springsteen's purest pop album, and its sense of fun and lack of serious, grandiose statements is what THE RIVER would have been had Springsteen stuck with his original plans. It's good to make good music just for the hell of it, but don't get me wrong. None of this is disposable music (the best pop never is). All the songs sound like they belong together, with the sole exception of the hidden track "Terry's Song", a tribute to one of his friends who died. While a pleasant enough song, doesn't really do a lot for me.

Another thing that should be mentioned is the way in which Brendan O'Brien, the album's producer (also affiliated with Pearl Jam, Neil Young, and any number of major rock acts), and Springsteens chose to record it. Working around the band's busy schedule, they would record their own parts solo with O'Brien producing, and then O'Brien would assemble all the different tracks into a finished song. The sole exception to this recording process was the Big Man, Clarence Clemmons, the E Street Band's famous saxophonist. Springsteen personally oversaw all of Clemmons' sessions, due to the rich dynamic relationship they have with one another.

Ultimately, MAGIC is probably the best album for 2007. This is USA minus the pessimism. For those Springsteen fans who didn't much care for DEVILS & DUST and SEEGER SESSIONS, rejoice! We have Springsteen making some phenomenal rock and roll at long last!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good songs, disappointing sound, June 26 2013
This review is from: Magic (Vinyl) (LP Record)
I like this album, my CD is scratched so I got the vinyl. The music is outstanding, but the sound quality is harsh, very disappointing considering the CD was similar sounding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have to complete the collection, Jan. 17 2012
This review is from: Magic (Vinyl) (LP Record)
Good presentation of the vinyl version of this album. It does contain a printed inner sleeve with lyrics and info, and it is a gate-fold single disc edition. This album has a high gloss finish on the paper, which is rather nice. While it is pressed on heavy weight vinyl, the master could have used a little more attention to detail in the high end. It may have even benefited from a two disc version because of the album's length, and this may be why the album sounds the way it does. Nevertheless, it is a rather inexpensive way to get the last couple Springsteen albums on vinyl if you need them to complete your collection. It would be nice to have a download included with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Springsteen's most complex, textured work in years., Oct. 26 2007
Karl (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic (Audio CD)
This is an album to stir the loins of Bruce Springsteen fans, resurrecting the desperate, fist-waving bravura of much-loved classics "Born to Run" and "Born in the USA" in a life-affirming surge of rock and roll, soul, blues and gospel, all merged together in a Spector-esque wall of sound.
The drums go boom-cha-boom on "You'll Be Comin' Down", Clarence Clemons's sax punches a hole through "Living in the Future", and a church bell can even be heard ringing out on "Your Own Worst Enemy".
But, as on Springsteen's earlier masterpieces, the underlying sentiment is much darker and more subtle than the swaggering music implies.
As everyone knows, your own worst enemy is yourself, and Springsteen turns a mordant eye on the changes in his own country since 9/11.
This is his most intensely produced album in years, this also sounds like the most fun Springsteen has had in a studio since the Seventies.
"I just want to feel some rhythm," he insists on "Radio Nowhere", a typically defiant finger flip to corporate communications, still strangely believable coming from an artist of huge wealth himself.
It's Springsteen's most complex, textured work in years, as rich as any in his catalogue, with songs that both challenge, inform and entertain. He once observed, in his lyrics anthology "Songs", that a song's emotional centre is dependent on the fellowship the writer feels with his subject, that when a lyric falls perfectly into place, "your voice disappears into the voices of those you've chosen to write about".
On "Magic" this happens time and time again, as he proves himself a master of the empathy required to bring his characters to life in all their contradictory, multiple selves.
With the E Street Band back at his shoulder, Bruce reverts to the romantic idealism of their youth on "Girls In Their Summer Clothes", and to simple symbolism on the title track.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid return to form for the Boss, Oct. 23 2007
Louis (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Magic (Audio CD)
After surviving more musical trends than most rock artists combined together, Bruce Springsteen has nothing left to prove. You know where you stand with Bruce: his music is pure rock and roll, with touches of country and pop sensibilities here and there. Although he has sometimes ventured in different avenues in recent years on albums such as "The ghost of Tom Joad", "Devils and dust" and "We shall overcome", his musical identity is as instantly recognizable as his powerful voice.

"Magic" is an album that deserves its title. It's a solid return to form for the Boss, who delivers twelve new songs (there's a gut-wrenching hidden track called "Terry's song") with no filler. The opening song (and debut single) "Radio nowhere" is a well-deserved kick at today's radio stations and demonstrates how out of touch they have become with people. The rest is just as strong; "Girls in their summer clothes", "Living in the future", "You'll be coming down", "I'll work for your love" and "Terry's song" are all amazing songs, while the title track and "Devil's arcade" provide an arresting change of pace. "Your own worst enemy" is arguably the highlight of the album, with its Spector-esque production and an inspired vocal performance from Bruce. And while the album might hardly be considered original or ground-breaking, Springsteen himself is an original and does what he does best on this thoroughly enjoyable album.

It's ironical that Bruce is living up to the prophecy of "Radio nowhere"; the album is a number one smash in America, but the single is getting very little airplay south of the border. Maybe it's time radio programmers get back in touch with the tastes of their audiences...

4.0 out of 5 stars BRUUUUUUUCE!!!, Oct. 27 2007
One Person's Opinion (Thornhill, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic (Audio CD)
I wish people would stop comparing this album to Bruce and the E-Street Band's earlier days. The world has changed, we've all grown older. Move on! You're probably the same people who think that Born in the USA was his best work - it was his most commercial, not his best (IMHO). I happen to really like Magic. While there are a couple of songs that I'm not crazy about, I do love most of them. Devil's Arcade, Magic, Livin' in the Future - all excellent (and even better live if you get the opportunity). It's nice to have some new music worth listening to after being subjected to Umbrella-ella-ella and Sexy Back and the like, to the point of nausea over the past few months. I definitely recommend Magic!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW. People, give it a chance! Pure Magic!, Oct. 4 2007
Alex "Alex" (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic (Audio CD)
all i have to say is oh my god, WOW! ok, first off i have to say that I absolutely loved The Rising album and although Devils and Dust and We Shall Overcome were different, there were a lot of songs on those albums i loved too..and being only 23 years old, i am not comparing this to any of bruce's earlier work. So i first got this album, knowing how much i loved the Rising - so of course i was going to compare it to that album. upon my first listen to the album i thought "well, its okay" but i was doing other work at the same time so i wasnt really LISTENING. so last night i went into my living room, relaxed on the coach and put in MAGIC and truly listened to it. all i can say is that i listened to this album 3 times in a row last night. When an artist comes out with a new album, you cannot compare it to their previous works because every artist evolves throughout the years and although they retain some of their old musical style, we must not expect variations of the same album over and over again. the evolution of Bruce Springsteen is completely evident epsecially after his last two albums Devils and Dust and We Shall Overcome. This new album "Magic" is so unbelievably wonderful. Heres my brief track by track breakdown:

1. Radio Nowhere - upbeat, completely catching, very reminicent of The Rising - great fun

2. You'll Be Coming Down - again, absolutely brilliant..the beginning isreminicent of waiting on a sunny day from the Rising.Bruce has wonderful vocals and again, its so catchy..i LOVE the way he sings the verses..wow

3. Livin In the Future is a funny title to me because as soon as this song starts up, i feel like im transported back to the late 70s and ealry 80s, lol (and i wasnt even born yet, haha)..its probably one of the weakest songs for me personally but more older bruce fans will probably love it. its not a bad song, just too old school for me...

4. Your own Worst Enemy - i love it when he sings the higher notes throughout the verses then goes back to singing low, and back up again..and the part at the end when he sings "your flag you flew so high..." its awesome..."everything is falling down - your own worst enemy has come to town"
wow wow wow..i love this album!!

5. Gypsy Biker - the harmonica starts off this song and bruce starts singing and you just cannot wait for this song to kick into full gear. and then you are off!!! this is one of the most catchy songs on the album..and when he sings "our gypsy biker is coming home" then the music kicks in behind him.pure magic..and the guitar..piano..wow wow wow, yet again..turn up the volume here guys, its an amazing song!

6. Girls in their summer clothes...you gotta love a song that sings "la la la la" at the end of it..its catchy, light hearted fun.."tonight im gonna burn this town down" is a great line before the chorus starts.

7. I'll work for your love - I started out hating this song but it has so grown on me! Put it on in your car, on the way to work and turn up the volume! You will be singing along with a smile on your face!

8. Magic - is just that - pure magic - so haunting you really gotta relax and listen to it, its brilliant..i cannot even describe it - its too good for words.."this is what will be"

9. Last to Die - starts off wonderfully and just like gypsy biker, you cannot wait for the song to kick into full gear!! another great song like "Gypsy Biker and "You'll be coming down" ...another "WOW" song in my books...

10. Long Walk Home - everyone will love this song - pure bruce magic, just like the songs on The Rising album. there is nothing to hate about this song. its catchy, wonderful verses..catchy, but not cheesy...one of the highlights on the album. I repeat-everyone will love this song.

11. Devil's Arcade. - the background music on this track is so unbelievably wonderful . the cello and guitar really really make this song..wow...another haunting song that just moves you. again, if you are relaxing at home, in the evening, with the lights turned low and just chilling on the coach or something, turn on this song and just let the music take you away..it is so beautiful - truly magical. it starts of slow then slowly builds up but not fast, just louder and more powerful. One of my favourite songs on the album.

12. terry's song is the bonus song on the album. its a beautiful tribute to bruce's dear friend. i love it, its a wonderful tribute..his voice reminds you of the devils and dusk album and the We Shall Overcome album. i love this song. its simple but awesome and the lyrics are so moving!

My advice for you on this album is to just really sit down, turn it up loud and really really LISTEN to it..dont take it at face value. the melodies and lyrics, etc are truly wonderful on this album and you have to really listen to it through once to appreciate it at first and then from then on, you will be listening to it in yor car, your house, on the subway, everywhere and absolutely love it. like i said, the first time i listened to it, i had it on while doing other stuff around the house and i didnt appreciate it. then i listened to it again last night, giving it my whole attention and now i truly regard it as one of the best albums ive heard in a long time. nowadays its hard to find albums that have more than a few songs you will love. with springsteen you can always be certain that every song will be a gem in its own right.
I LOVE this CD - like i said before, its pure magic, filled with all sorts of emotions..its rock and roll at its best...

1.0 out of 5 stars Muddy, Dec 11 2008
This review is from: Magic (Audio CD)
This is the worst sounding Springsteen cd ever. It is really hard to listen to. The vocals are buried deep in the muddy mix. I heard most of these songs played with the E-Street Band on the Magic tour and they sounded so much better. I don't hear the E-street band on this cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Phenomenal Album!, April 1 2008
grapemanca (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic (Audio CD)
Rarely do I listen to an album and think, "There isn't a single dud in the bunch", but that's what I thought as I listened to the final (hidden) cut. After listening to the entire album many times over, I'm now convinced it's one of his best, perhaps topped only by [according to my taste, of course] Tunnel of Love. There's a great mixture of musical styles, reflective lyrics for the poetry types, and - best of all - fantastic, memorable melodies. While most songwriters run out of melodies after 10 or 15 years at most, Springsteen has written one of his best collections after 30+ years in the business. Highlights for me include Gypsy Biker, Magic, I'll Work for Your Love, Livin' in the Future and, of course, Radio Nowhere (which may be my favourite Springsteen song after Atlantic City). And to think I had almost given up on album music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! A Rockin' Collection!, March 18 2008
David W. Wildeboer (Lacombe, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic (Audio CD)
The Boss is back - and bringing the E Street Band with him. This new album is an excellent rock album. "Radio Nowhere" is a great driving rock tune and brings back the wall of sound of the E Street Band. "Girls in Their Summer Clothes" is a wonderful singalong type rock song and will be sure to be played when I'm driving this summer with the top down. And who else would add a nonsense lyric that's just as singable. The rest of the songs are a great mix of great rock tunes and ballads and shows how the Boss has grown through his forays into folk and Irish music and brought that to his classic rock-and-roll. Any rock fan should give this album a good listen, and any Springsteen fan should immediately add this to their collection.

Magic
Magic by Bruce Springsteen (Audio CD - 2007)