march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage Furniture vpcflyout Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

I did not buy this set on Amazon, simply because I happened to find it at a local store on sale at a 50% discount. That being said, I want to add to those who have already changed the merits of this product. If you can do without the quick snap on/off feature of the more expensive set, this set is EXCELLENT in every respect. Love it, use it every second day or so; and since I don't switch weights on and off often, this set works out very well for me.
on January 4, 2016
Plates are nice enough, but let's be honest: it's not a 40 pound set. It's 30 pounds of weight and a couple of 2 pounds or so bars. The quality-control on the bars is sub-standard: the grip on one of them is very rough so that you would just about need a glove, and the grip on the other is much, much rougher. I paid 50 bucks with free shipping and I wouldn't buy this set again.
on January 9, 2013
Item came as described. Solid purchase for a quick work out at home. I would recommend this to anyone with limited space to work out.
on December 18, 2015
Awesome dumbbell set for beginners. The carrying/storage case is more compact than I was expecting as well.

Having to screw on the weights really isn't that much of a pain since I rarely ever change them. I keep it set up as two 20lb bars but you could easily have one 35lb (The "40lb set" is two 5lb bars, four 5lb weights, and four 2.5lb weights). If you need to add more weight you can always just pickup 10lb plates from a local store and throw them on.
on January 30, 2014
I was looking for a good starter set of weights and this product worked quite well for the cost.

I turned it into 1 - 40lb weight for my purposes but with this sale and free shipping the price is hard to beat.

The carrying case is also quite handy and the weights are decent quality. The only thing you have to watch for is the little rubber rings on the screw caps will fall off if you're not careful. It's not a big deal but its a flaw nonetheless (-0.5 stars)

Also the material smells quite strongly and almost leaves an oily feeling after use, but I would usually shower or at least wash my hands after working out anyway so it's not a huge deal (-0.5 stars).

Overall, it is a good product for the price.
on April 17, 2016
I agree with other reviewers who say that users must be sure to check that the nut holding the plates in place should be tightened before using. I have on a few occasions noticed that it becomes quite loose even when just sitting on the floor for a few days. Luckily I read the reviews before use so I made sure to check every time, so I haven't had any issues of the nut actually falling off of the bar. I did notice the rubber smell at first but didn't find it unbearable. The rubber smell was gone within a few days. I live in such a small apartment so its really nice just having the two bars and the ability to change the weights - rather than a stand with several different sized dumbbells. I wouldn't have room for that. I have recommended these dumbbells to some of my friends who also live in small spaces and have lower budgets. I think overall they are very convenient and reliable.
on January 8, 2016
Shipped quickly, packed well. Good weights for beginners and good price. I read the advice of other reviews and use gloves when using them.
I just don't like the warning label about possible materials that could cause cancer.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 18, 2015
This set is what started me on a healthy kick. I bought these, a book on dumbbell excercises, and went to town. The only problem is, they're only 40 pounds (actually slightly less, you get 30lbs in weights and the handles which are a little less than 5lbs). After a week of working out with them, I had to go down to the Canadian Tire and pick up another four 10lb plates so I could really get a good workout.

Have been using them for the last two months, 2-4 times a week. Spin-on collars work great and hold weights securely, but are time consuming to change weights between exercises. Other than that, no complaints!
on March 18, 2016
Cap Barbell RSWB-40TPB Dumbbell Set, 40 Pounds

This was a really good deal, and I'm so happy I purchased it. The weights come in this amazing and sturdy case which is nice, if you just want to store them neatly or take them with you if you are going anywhere for the weekend, etc. I highly recommend purchasing the Gold's Gym bench if you are buying these, I got both at a terrific deal, and they go hand in hand very well. I practically paid half price for these on here so how could I gro wrong. Thank you!!
on January 10, 2014
I bought this locally at the same price of $49.99 to save on shipping but was prepared to buy it from Amazon had I not found it. Amazing qquality for the price. You could spend more on just the bars themselves in stores. Personally, I bought this set and added 4 extra 5 pound weights from a local store to augment the set. You can place 4 of this size free weight on one side of the bar, so I can get up to 40 lbs (plus 3 lbs for the bar) now.

Trust me, you will be happy with it. I can't even find used weights at this price.