4.0 out of 5 stars More than meets the eye? You betchya!
It is called the All Spark. Powerful. Incredible. Able to create robotic life and destroy it just as quickly.

Published on Dec 19 2009 by A.P. Fuchs, author of The Axio...

Published on Dec 8 2007 by Bruno Desjardins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Empty calories are filling - Hollywood's fast food made movie, Dec 8 2007
Bruno Desjardins (Montreal) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Ce commentaire est de: Transformers (Bilingual) (Widescreen) (DVD)
I am stunned by the number of reviews saying that the movie is fantastic. Yes, the CGI is brilliant. But when I spend my dollars to 'see' a movie, I expect there will be a good story behind the visual effects. In this case, what you get is a succession of rapid-fire clichés that are so 'in your face' that it's offensive... The main character is not good at school, and dreams of a girl who goes out with the school's bully - a football player... And this under-achiever finally gets the girl... There are cool cars, and a cool car chase (not as good as the one in the second matrix movie though)... Can it get more cliché than that I ask you? And most adults and authority figures are stupid to say the least... Only the military guys are OK, figures since Bay has to take care of his good relations with the Pentagon since 'Pearl Harbor'... The US government hiring teenagers (because they're soooo coool?) to hack into the Transformers as if the Pentagon and CIA just could not figure out by themselves how to do that is another example of how completely ridiculous the movie is. It is so unbelievable that it can't be fun... There is no imagination whatsoever in this movie...

I'm not 15, and I don't expect movies to unfold like video games, so I hated this movie and almost stopped watching it after 40 minutes. When I returned the movie to the rental DVD club, one employee told me that most customers felt just like I did... But those customers, like me, were not 15...

In a nutshell, this movie is for young teenagers even though the Transformers are 20 years old... I'm not happy to say that this is probably one of the 3 worst movies I've seen in my life... It still gets 2 stars because of the visual FX, but I'm tempted to say that it deserves one at best...

3.0 out of 5 stars Good pop-corn movie... but be patient!, Nov. 14 2007
el_realisator (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
Transformers is filled with mild violence and intense action that never lets off once it begins. The CGI is what makes this movie. It wouldn't have been the same without today's technology. Anyone wanting to know where we are in terms of special effects has to watch Transformers. In 1991, there was Terminator 2; in 1993, it was Jurassik Park; in 1995, it was Independence Day; 1997 featured Titanic; then we had to wait until Lord of the Ring and now it is Transformers! It's a wonderful movie, if we speak of CGI. It also features some pretty funny moments.

Michael Bay is the perfect example of money buying special effects to make you forget about the horrible script. His movies usually are about how cool army men and soldiers are and how they are living a dream, serving their country in the US Army. This one isn't the exception. The plot is quite simple, the Decepticons retrieve the info about the whereabouts of the Cube, knowing that the plan to get it is hidden in the glasses of the great great granpa of a middle-class surburbia dude. The autobots also learn this piece of information and rush to find the boy.

Can't be more americanized, once again telling the rest of the world how much they are the center of it. All the cars in Transformers are from US and you have product placement all over. The real heroes in the movie are not really the Autobots, they are the fine soldiers of US, who will defend the world against the Decepticons... who curiously attack them at first in the Evil Middle East. Funny how you can americanize something that originally comes from Japan...

HOWEVER, Transformers also has an interesting but controlled critic about US itself, seeming to question the paranoia of governement agencies and secret services and it has a great pun on Bush.

If you buy it, it don't think it's a good idea to get the DVD version. Transformers is so beautiful (technically speaking of course), that the DVD doesn't really serve its beautifulness. Also, Hollywood distributors now have the good idea to give us 2 versions of each blockbusters... the one with and without bonus features. To make matters worse, the videostores edition is always the bonusless edition, forcing you to buy the movie to see the bonus features. And if that wasn't enough, the special edition gets bumped off by a 3 disc edition 3 months after!

Anyway, good movie if you have a home theater system but if you do, get yourself the HDDVD or the Blu-Ray version. The bonuses on this one are not worth it... a featurette and theatrical trailer isn't my idea of a good special edition! Wait for the next one, a 4 disc ultimate metal-boxed collector's set probably!!

4.0 out of 5 stars More than meets the eye? You betchya!, Dec 19 2009
Ce commentaire est de: Transformers (Bilingual) (Widescreen) (DVD)

On Cybertron, a planet far, far away, a war arose when a robot named Megatron, leader of the Decepticons, wanted the power of the All Spark for himself. Optimus Prime and his band of Autobots rose up against him and their battle destroyed their homeworld, sending the cube-shaped All Spark into space.

Lost.

The Autobots and Decepticons scoured the galaxy looking for it, knowing that whoever found it first would be the victor and would decide the fate of not just one world, but the universe.

The All Spark found its way to Earth, but not before Megatron tracked it there. It landed in the Arctic, and Megatron was frozen there until found later on by Captain Witwicky, explorer.

Decades later, his grandson, Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf), needs a car and after visiting a used-car dealer ends up coming home with an old Chevy Camaro. Little does he know the car is more than meets the eye and lurking beneath its yellow shell is an Autobot named Bumblebee. It's not long till Sam finds out and is thrust into a robotic world where two teams of giant robots compete to find the All Spark.

Joining Sam is his high school crush, Mikaela Banes (Megan Fox), whom reluctantly is dragged on this journey with him but soon finds herself getting interested in this guy who she barely knew existed.

It's robot vs robot in this giant epic of good vs evil, fireballs, bullets and vehicles that are more than meets the eye.

What can I say? When I heard they were taking the Transformers from my childhood and lifting them from the cartoon to 'real life,' I was ecstatic. I was also concerned because I knew it'd take a crazy amount of CGI to make it happen, and not just any CGI either'good CGI. The last thing I wanted was for a bunch of cartoony robots with rubbery parts dominating the screen.

Boy, was I shocked when I saw Bumblebee transform and tower over all, shining his spotlight into the sky, or when Optimus Prime showed up and that glorious digital transformation sound roared and he stood proud, huge and detailed.

This stuff was real, and it looked like the makers of this movie actually made real Autobots and Decepticons to make it happen.

Good times.

Storywise, yeah, I liked it. The alien invasion thing worked. Very well done. Same with the notion that, unlike the cartoons (from what I recall), the Autobots had a vow of secrecy to keep themselves hidden from the humans while they searched for the All Spark.

Shia LaBeouf as Sam Witwicky was funny, same with Kevin Dunn as his father.

The story also bodes well for a sequel, which has now come and gone, with more stories in the works. If you're going to go epic, like Transformers did, you're going to need more than one. Last I heard, they're doing 5 or 6 of these things. Me? I'm all for it. I go into these things expecting a good time and not some life-altering film where, years later, I look back and see it as a turning point for me. Transformers is just that: a good time, and one that tickled my inner fanboy.

More than meets the eye? You betchya!

A.P. Fuchs

1.0 out of 5 stars Raping my childhood..., June 18 2008
Hans Gauthier "barbarandroid" (Québec, Québec Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Transformers (Bilingual) (Widescreen) (DVD)
If you are a Transformers fan, by all means stay away from this piece of cinematographic diarhea. Besides the title, this sorry excuse for a movie has nothing to do with Transformers. Figures since that talentless hack Michael Bay ("Bad Boys 2" for crying out loud) was behind the camera and that money grubbing populist Steven Speilberg was producing. I even read somewhere during pre production that Speilberg was not even familiar with the Transformers before starting the project. Well, it shows...Now let`s see how badly they'll rape Star Trek and G.I.Joe...

3.0 out of 5 stars Lot of fun but not the most intelligent movie..., Feb. 10 2009
Ce commentaire est de: Transformers (Bilingual) (Widescreen) (DVD)
...but if you're just looking for an action-packed film, this is for you. It was very fun and the special effects were cool (maybe a bit too over-the-top). The casting of femal characters is sexist and ridiculous though. Otherwise ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars dvd, May 17 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Transformers (Bilingual) (Widescreen) (DVD)
Very good dvd and lot of good memories about it I just adore it and recommanded it to all my friends

1.0 out of 5 stars wrong format, Jan. 10 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I intended to buy a dvd but recieved a HD dvd which I cannot play. Still wondering what went wrong in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, Dec 17 2013
Franca (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Transformers (Bilingual) (Widescreen) (DVD)
i loved wacthing transformers at the movies and now in the privacy of my own home, i hope there's another sequel to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, Sept. 4 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
These movies are fun. Good for all ages...and unlike other movies that I enjoyed but then could never see myself watching again, I can see myself cracking open this set to view every now and again as time goes by.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, July 31 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This is the best Transformers movie so far. Love the sound and picture. Not that really much special features on this though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Transformers (Bilingual) (Widescreen)
Transformers (Bilingual) (Widescreen) by Shia LaBeouf (DVD - 2007)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 9.97