4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product but weak documentation
Published on Oct. 29 2011 by Roja

1.0 out of 5 stars VC500 is not recommended
Software installed easily on Windows 7 home premium. Video shown on capture screen looks great. However, once the capture button is hit, the video gets distorted and grainy - a significant loss of quality.

There is no way to adjust file size - the file from a 2hr Hi8 video tape is over 200Gb and too large to fit on the hard drive.

When capturing...
Published on Nov. 6 2011 by Bob

1.0 out of 5 stars VC500 is not recommended, Nov. 6 2011
This review is from: Best Data Products Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture Device (Personal Computers)

When capturing from VHS tape, the Showbiz App keeps crashing and is not usable at all.

Diamond Multimedia home page does not support this product - no improved drivers or debugged apps available.

I have owned several video capture products over the list 10 years, and the VC500 just does not measure up. You are better off using 5 yr old technology than the VC500. The VC500 is not recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of Crap, April 11 2012
I have had this product for a month and a half and I have yet to transfer one video. It seems to be working for several minutes and then shuts down with a warning that the tape, I am trying to transfer,is copy protected. These are home videos not purchased movies. I tried their online help, which was no help at all, so I called their help desk. The tech I talked to suggested that my camera must have had a setting to protect the tape from being copied, uh? I have tried several videos, taped from different cameras, and I get the same warning.
I bought the VC500 based on a review which rated this product the highest even though it was the cheapest. After I received no help from the "Help Desk", I read more reviews and discovered that most other people who bought this product could not get it to work either. Don't purchase this product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product but weak documentation, Oct. 29 2011
It took a lot of searching to figure out how to make it work. In the end, it was dead simple, but because the default capture settings weren't correct, it looked like it wasn't working well. After a lot of effort & trying several settings, I successfully captured my old videos to a digital format. I'm now 'struggling' through learning the editing software. I have no doubt that it will eventually do everything I need it to do - and in that way it is very good value - but it has required lots of effort due to a lack of documentation. In the end, I'm pleased that I bought this device.

4.0 out of 5 stars good value for the price, May 28 2011
I ordered this product and it arrived within 72 hrs directly to my door.

The drivers for this product are extremely easy to install with Windows Vista and it works like a charm. I had to call technical support to figure out how to remove a green bar from the bottom of my recordings and had an excellent experience. I did not wait any longer than probably 2 minutes, the agent was very polite and knew exactly what to do to fix the problem. The settings of the device were causing the issue and the agent walked me through corrective action without any hesitation.

I would not recommend using the included software with this device. I installed it and it caused my computer to freeze once I attempted to use it. Windows moviemaker is basically the same, it is preinstalled on most computers and works perfectly. I also had to use Windows DVD maker, another preinstalled program to actually burn a DVD.

All in all a good value for the price, it does exactly what I expect it to do: transfer VHS movies onto my computer. I would recommend this product to any person who wants a hassle-free product to convert VHS movies onto a computer (with the exception of the included Ulead DVD software... don't bother with that, It's not worth the time and hassle).

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible product and fast delivery, Dec 9 2010
woj (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This product was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I literally got the product 2 days after I ordered it. The quality was very good from both vhs and camcorders (it's all relative of course - don't expect any better than the original recording quality obviously). It was extremely easy to use and to adjust the settings. The one thing I would recommend is to use "Windows DVD maker" if you have Windows 7 rather than the ULead Software that comes included. I know the ULead software probably offers more options, but honestly it slowed down my computer way too much, I couldn't even get it to work properly, and for what I wanted (i.e. a cool title screen, the ability to easily navigate scenes, and dvds playable in a normal dvd player) Windows DVD maker was fantastic (also very easy to use). It also allows you to fit 2.5 hrs of video onto each 4.7 gig dvd,which is great!

Again, just a FANTASTIC PRODUCT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Device., June 21 2009
Clement Dupuis "Zenon" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
Best Data Products Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture DeviceThis device comes complete with all you need to store video data on a computer. Be it a little movie or a snapshot you require, this item will do it quick and simple.
The driver supplied on the accompanying CD is easily installed on Windows (even Vista)and the configuration is very easy and lets you choose the directory where you want to store your pictures or video. Also you can select the function of the "one touch" button on the device so it will store a snapshot or a video. At all time, you can also control the capture directly from the monitor on your PC. We use the VC500 along with a special camera to capture images of the inside of engines in a mechanic shop. As we most of the time are in tight locations, the "one touch" feature is a great asset. In conclusion this is the best gadget I have acquired in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Very Well, June 27 2011
Took it out of the box, installed the software and within 20 minutes was copying my first VHS tape to my hard drive. This unit copies exactly what is on your tapes. The software to edit your new digital movies is included and is a valuable bonus. I Would recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Wanted!, April 21 2012
After reading some of the negative reviews about this product I was somewhat reluctant to purchase it but I'm so glad that I bought it.

It was shipped in just 2 days. It was very easy to install, easy to use, and it works great! I find the quality of the pictures are just as good as the device it's being transferred from. It's true, the product doesn't come with a decent instruction manuel but I phoned the help line with a question and my call was answered quickly and professionally and resolved in under a minute.

I've used the converter with my VCR and my DVD player and it works great with both. I am delighted with my purchase!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Happy, Jan. 14 2012
I have a Dell Inspiron N0510 2.53Ghz & 4gb Ram.
Product was received with in 3days of ordering,thanks Amazon.

Installed fine & program loaded ok, Program recorded but was very disappointed
once 90 minute move was done, on dvd format it was 9.8gb. No compression with
burning software. While recording screen on computer was all fuzzy could not
see progress of recording, had to listen for credits when it was done.

Contacted Diamond support twice in a week & no response.

I have decided to go with Honestech VHS to DVD 5 Deluxe

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, weak documentation, July 28 2013
This product does exactly what I expected. It allows me to copy my VHS tapes to digital files on my computer. Not only that but it is simple to use. Unfortunately the manual is not as clear as one might hope. I'm using Windows 7 and after browsing the internet to see what other people's experience was I decided to basically ignore the manual. The software (EzGrabber) allows you to see the video that you want to record, start the recording and save the file that results. That's all I wanted.

Best Data Products Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture Device