march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools

If you liked Catan, you'll love it with Seafarers added in. Basically, instead of just a single land mass, you now have multiple land masses (islands) with water between them. You continue to build roads, but now have boats to expand the "road" across the water between islands. And of course there's a pirate to destroy your shipping route. While this might sound like it's just Catan with more land and water pieces just to change the road element up a little, in play the strategies are actually quite different and, for me at least, quite challenging.

After I got tired of basic Catan, the Seafarers expansion basically threw it all up in the air and presented a whole new game. Sure, the gameplay was pretty much the same, the new rules are easy to learn, but the strategy of what used to work no longer did, and that was the interesting part. My gaming group ended up playing Seafarers hundreds of times, always preferring it to basic Catan or all the other expansions (we have them all!). My favorite game continues to be Catan with Seafarers, allowing us to create small or large maps, nicely handle six players on the larger maps, and add a variety we never realized with the base game.

For me at least, Seafarers has become one of my top five games and I can't recommend it enough to fans of Catan who want just a little bit more...
on January 9, 2011
We just received this game two days ago and we completed our first game.

It's very fun, full of varied scenario to keep ourselves entertained, and overall a very very nice addition to settlers of Catan. While I hesitated to buy any expansion this game really converted me.

I didn't buy any other expansion yet but this expansion is really polished.
on December 4, 2015
Really spreads out the game. Looks beautiful and plays beautiful too. Makes wool a better resource as its needed to make the newly added boats. Adds gold which is a wild card resource which is great. Many balanced maps all drew up in the manual. The water gives no resources and you aren't really making boats, your making roads over water, more like a bridge really. The game is better but not enough to make the game that worth it like the other expansions. Also the addition creates the same game "basically" with twice sometimes more setup time. If you have cities and knights expansion and play it regularly and just love it than you really should get this expansion because wow does it make that game bigger and more in depth. Players who would emphasize on expansion element of seafarers would sacrifice the development element of cities.
on August 15, 2015
I have bought many of these expansions for Catan and I notice with this one that it adds basically just water to the game. There are different scenarios and game pieces that you can add too but it takes too long to set it all up. Compared to Cities and Knights, I would definitely go with that one.
on January 24, 2016
Bought as a gift for my daughter. Her and her friends love this. Plays Catan lots and loves this. I couldn't have gotten her a better gift. I am glad I was able to order this from Amazon as no stores in my area carry these expansions.
on August 11, 2015
My family loves the Catan games. Last summer we were looking for some expansion packs and discovered this. It's great, just like the other versions of Catan we have tried.
on April 19, 2015
Great game lots of hours enjoying it with friends and family.
on March 19, 2016
All my friends enjoy it, I enjoy it, then it is all good
on September 11, 2015
Shipping is faster than I thought! Everthing is good!
on March 19, 2015
Funnest boardgame I've ever played!!

See 1 answered question