5.0 out of 5 stars A WHOLE NEW UNIVERSE OF INTELLIGENT LAUGHS!
In the cult tradition of SPARTACUS, the halls of every science department now echoes: "I AM SHELDON"!

Well into its third season, THE BIG BANG THEORY proved to be one of the most funny TV sitcoms ever aired. I had not laughed out loud this hard ever since the best days of SEINFELD - and BIG BANG is consistently brilliant!

Sheldon Cooper is...
Published on Dec 8 2009 by NeuroSplicer

3.0 out of 5 stars Very little for the money
when I purchased a complete season of The Big Bang Theory, I was expecting more than 6 episodes! the price was too high for so little. while these first episodes are well written and acted, they are all available free on YouTube. I was disappointed, and feel somewhat cheated. I just love the show, But i don't plan to pay for "complete season" cd's again.
Published 21 months ago by H. Prince

5.0 out of 5 stars A WHOLE NEW UNIVERSE OF INTELLIGENT LAUGHS!, Dec 8 2009
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete First Season (DVD)

Sheldon Cooper is unavoidably the king of the show - the massive black hole this Universe revolves around if you will. A child prodigy, now a 24 years old theoretical physicist PhD with absolutely no social skills or known sexual drive. Sheldon may be on the verge of unifying the fields but cannot drive a car to save his life or break a smile even remotely resembling that of a mere homo sapiens.
Best moment (a very hard choice to make): shouting at his sister, who was telling people that her brother is a "rocket scientist", that she might as well be telling them he is working at the bridge toll-booth!

Leonard Hofstadter is Sheldon's roomate and primary ...keeper. An experimental physicist himself, he juggles Sheldon's idiosyncrasies with his personal neurosis - not to mention his crush on his neighbor Penny.
Best moment: negotiating with Leslie Winkle (a fellow plain-looking but witty physicist and Sheldon's nemesis) their ...annual intercourse session to achieve "therapeutic sexual release" .

Howard Wolowitz is the only one with no PhD yet (and Sheldon never lets him forget it). An electrical engineer whose crowning achievement is a mechanized arm that is used in the space shuttle (and is now working on its liquid waste management solutions). The fact that he is a short man with a severely outdated and misguided sense of fashion, still lives with his mother, insists on using a collection of pickup lines straight from men's magazines advice columns - and yet carries himself as God's gift to women is just hilarious.
Best moment: diverting a military drone from its way to spying on the Russians, only to locate the house where America's Next Top Model is filmed - and be able to drop by and hit on the vulnerable one that gets kicked out that week!

Rajesh Koothrappali is a particle astrophysicist with a fashion sense close to absolute zero and a severe case of shyness - to the point that he cannot speak in front of women unless inebriated. He keeps using the "poor Indian" defense although his father is a rich doctor who drives a Bentley.
Best moment: after falling to give his name to Sheldon's beautiful sister, he comes back to get the flier requesting human test subjects for an experimental anti-shyness drug.

Finally, Penny. She is the proverbial good girl next door who came to California with stardom aspirations but so far works as waitress and suffers a sequence of bad boyfriends - and from her neighbors.
Best moment: filling in a long medical questionnaire with Sheldon at he hospital. "Headaches?" "Well, I'm getting one now!"

The show unavoidably makes use of previous sitcom combinations (the odd couple, the unfulfilled love-interest mismatch) but even if one manages to discern them they are used in such a fresh manner that all that is left is great entertainment!

The way to truly enjoy this is to own it on DVD. The writing is so smart and the jokes fly so fast (many of them non-verbal) there is just no way to savor it during its weekly air time. Well, may be Sheldon could but then again, who can compare his intellect with his?

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars big bang theory, June 17 2008
Wj Mellor "comedy lover" (Durham, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete First Season (DVD)
This may be the funniest show in years. Sarcasm, cynicism, double entendres, snide comments and egotism. If you cannot see part of your character in each of the four male characters then get a friend to point them out to you. If you can't recognize some of your friends characters in them look harder.

This show gives us the best chance to laugh at our own foibles we have gotten in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars exceptional writing, hilarious performances, Aug. 24 2009
Cheryl - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Big Bang Theory is the best written sit-com in ages. The series is fresh and original, with well-defined characters and perfect casting. (Plus outstanding production details ie. character wardrobe.) This first season 3 dvd set, features 17 episodes (only), plus a 17min. featurette. Definitely leaves the viewer wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Klingon boggle, it's like regular boggle except in Klingon"-Leonard Hofstadter, Aug. 1 2012
Tommy Sixx Morais (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete First Season (DVD)
The Big Bang Theory is not so much an ode to geeks and great minds as much as a celebration of them. I've gotten really attached to the characters over the years, and when a television show becomes something that means this much to you it's not just a television show. From the get-go The Big Bang Theory was a great, well-thought out show with a fantastic cast of actors, clever references to science, comics/superheroes, pop culture etc. This was something else, different and creative while being at the same time laugh out loud hilarious (I hate when people use those words and it's not even true, with TBBT it's actually true) and at times I find myself laughing hard even though I only have a glimpse of an idea of what they meant (hey I don't have a PhD in physics after all!). The thing is the show is so clever and funny at the same time and I think there's so appeal to it for everyone who enjoys a laugh or two. The concept of two gifted minds living together in an apartment both working at a University in physics and being brilliant, sometimes humorous, sometimes childish along with their friends and neighbors was a fresh one and the finished product turned out, well obviously great. You may think I'm exaggerating when I say that each and every single episode is memorable somehow, but it's the truth.

The main cast of characters is what truly make the show because they are instantly memorable in their own ways and we grow fond of and attach to them. Leonard Hofstadter(Johnny Galecki) is the most normal of the gang, he's smart but he's the most genuine and likable of all. His friend and roommate Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons)takes the cake; he is in the simplest terms, impossible although he would deny that suggestion. Sheldon has the highest IQ on the show, went to College when he was eleven, doesn't quite understand sarcasm and has childish tendencies such as always sitting in the same spot and likes to keep everything organized as far as having a different restaurant for each night of the week. Then there are their two friends, the self-proclaimed romantic engineer Howard Wolowitz (Simon Helberg) who sports a Beatles haircut and has a penchant for wearing colored skinny jeans and geeky belt buckles, and Indian astrophysicist Rajesh Koothrappali (Kumal Naayar)who literally cannot talk to girls and has a problem digesting Indian food. Not to forget the neighbor girl, Penny (Kaley Cuoco) a girl from Omaha who is working at the cheesecake factory and although very beautiful is not very bright which always leads to interesting interactions and scenarios.

I have to give credit where credit is due; Chuck Lorre came up with a hell of show (watch for the closing cards!), the actors are simply amazing in their respective roles and the writers must be out of this world to come up with the stuff that they do (even the episode titles are clever). The references to science, physics, superheroes and comic books, television shows, movies and pop culture are truly amazing and well integrated.

Looking back the first season which aired in 2007-08 it's striking how well developed the characters and the show already were. For many TV shows it takes a while and sometimes a season to get ball rolling but not in this case and the more you watch it, the more you get the jokes and they stay with you because they are memorable. There's a reason this show is so beloved and popular. I used to buy many TV series on DVD even just a few short years ago but I stopped/slowed down with time. However, I knew that like a true geek, I needed to own those seasons so I could watch them over and over again.

I've been wanting to review TBBT for a while now, but I found it hard to find the words to do it justice. Since I bought the first season on DVD they have re-released it on Blu-Ray along with season two, if I had to do it again I'd likely go for the Blu-Rays. So there you have it, 17 episodes of the first season on DVD or Blu-Ray for your enjoyment. Now I love the show and it's a too easy 5 stars for the show, this first season was quite remarkable and even sparked my interest to look up some the physics jokes they make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally on Blu Ray!, July 14 2012
I love that they were willing to rerelease TBBT, so that ardent fans (me!) could get the high quality of Blu Ray. Even better, they threw in the SD DVDs for free. How often do you see that with a television show release? Even better, it seems the trend will continue, as season 5 is planned the exact same way. Rather than ripping off fans who may not have updated to Blu Ray yet, while allowing Blu Ray fans to have the SD option, I find the entire process to be extremely generous.

For the reviewer below, there are 17 episodes in the first season, not six. And the first season was cut short due to the writer's strike that occurred that year. The fact that a new show, and a comedy at that, was able to survive the writer's strike only speaks volumes as to how brilliant TBBT is!

Lastly, the season holds some of my favourite episodes, including The Luminous Fish Effect, The Pancake Batter Anomaly, and the pilot, which got the entire series in motion.

If you have never watched TBBT (and how is this possible, when it is in reruns on nearly every channel?!), give it a try. It is a really sweet show, very funny and completely enjoyable. You want to be friends with Sheldon, Raj, Leonard, Penny and, yes, even Howard!

I am glad to have the set, so that I can watch it at my leisure, over and over again. If you are the type of person who prefers to watch their tv for free on You Tube, so be it. This is for the true fans who must have it in their collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Big Bang Theory, March 24 2012
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete First Season (DVD)
How could I say anything negative about Canada's favorite comedy? I love this show and never tire of watching the episodes over and over again. Can't wait until I own all of the seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Big Bang Theory Season 1, March 6 2012
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete First Season (DVD)
We watch the show and we love it. We missed the first season so my boyfriend and I decided to see if Amazon had the first season at a reasonable price and just like always, they had it for an irresistible price! So we got it and enjoy it since then!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price for BLu Ray, Feb. 19 2014
I have not opened these yet but for the next long road trip or the long rainy or winter days - this series is a classic and as long at I can get the season on blu ray for less than $20 and free shipping - season 3, 6, 7, etc... will be purchased.

I look forward to the extras and the overall clarity of both picture and sound for this viewing experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Bang Theory, Jan. 31 2014
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I love the comedy in this show and Leonard is my favourite character. Watching the characters grow with each episode has been highly entertaining. I would never want to miss an episode. The price is way better than retail and the shipping was fast and easy. Great Value - great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Show, Jan. 15 2014
Heather A. Nicholson (Winnipeg, MB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I never really got into this show at first, but it's one of those ones that grow on you. After I started watching more episodes I really got into it. Great show, very funny!

ARRAY(0xac6d06cc)