4.0 out of 5 stars a pretty good deal
Published 21 months ago by Daniel Fournier

1.0 out of 5 stars Another box of ear fatigue...
Published on Dec 10 2007 by Jamie Tate

4.0 out of 5 stars a pretty good deal, Nov. 26 2012
Daniel Fournier "daniel fournier" (Stettler alberta canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 1983-1998 (Rm) (5CD/5DVD) (Audio CD)
I don't know if it is the time of year but as you may have seen my other review, I kind of go in the past, I just bought the 1970 box and than i could not resist to get this one, again, what I love the most in the 2 boxxs is the packaging. of course we all know the music and we do or we don't like it but it is what it is. but the packaging is interesting. kind of a cd rack just for the set, I like it lot. I love also the dvd version, also, I am a ipod user and I love to be able to listen all those cds in the ipod and they all have the same type of sound as if they would come from the same cds. I know a lot of people don't like it but I do. as you may know, I am blind, and the only thing that I would like to know more is the cd that phil is not the singer, calling all station, how did this come about? did it stop there because it did not fly? I can't read the info so I don't know anything about it. I would love to know. because I do love the album and I thought that Genesis would have gone for a third live but I guess not. but basicly I love the set, the ipod user will love it more I guess. that is about all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another box of ear fatigue..., Dec 10 2007
Jamie Tate (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1983-1998 (Rm) (5CD/5DVD) (Audio CD)
I don't understand how these remixes are getting such good reviews. Nick Davis used to do such amazing recordings. What happened? When did he become such a fan of over EQing everything? Can't everyone hear how overly EQ'd these mixes are? They simply aren't enjoyable to listen to. They're harsh and thin with a boomy low end and hollowed out midrange and clearly have inferior musical balances than the originals. I guess it's a case where people buy into believing remastered always means better even without volume matched comparisons. Remember, louder doesn't mean better.

I can take about ten minutes of these discs before my ears just start ringing and I have to shut it off. They've lost a lot of the punch and power the original mixes had. The sound of the SSL console EQ Nick used has a distinct tone. They will ring when overused. You can hear it all over this set. It should be annoying even to those whose ears haven't been trained. There's a lot of poorly chosen EQ that adds a nasal quality to the instruments. The cymbals are harsh and Phil's vocals are nasally and sound like a they're coming through a megaphone. Things sound small and jammed together.

I won't even go into detail about how much better Hugh Padgham's mixes are. Hugh is obviously a better engineer as he made Genesis sound powerful and important. Nick Davis has made them sound like a small transistor radio, albeit a very loud transistor radio.

And what's with all the compression? These heavy mixes are ridiculously inappropriate for this beautiful, emotionally dynamic music. These songs used to have dynamics, loud and soft orchestrations that built the music. Now everything is LOUD! The LOUD! parts are LOUD! and the soft parts are LOUD! That's not detail you're hearing, it's just compression.

It makes me sick to my stomach that these loud, overly EQd, overly compressed remixes are going to replace the dynamic, fuller and more artful original mixes.

Welcome to the MP3 generation where sound quality just doesn't matter as long as it's loud. I guess I should get a cheap stereo that makes everything sound bad. That way these Genesis remixes won't upset me so much.

Genesis... the George Lucas of the music world. ICK!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great remasters, Dec 11 2007
Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 1983-1998 (Rm) (5CD/5DVD) (Audio CD)
This box set covers the last chapter of Genesis as a recording band. The music is alot more poppie then the other two box sets. That being said the new mixes are much closer to the way the band sounds live. For those of you listening to everything on MP3 dont bother. This is for people that care how thier music sounds and do not like the flat and hallow sound of an mp3 (By the way an MP3 file is only 10% the size of a pcm/wave file so think of all that you are missing). The 5.1 mix is DTS 96/24 (It also has the 5.1 mix in Dolby) so for a DVD based format it is about as good as it gets. The mixes do seem to split fans. For those of us who have seen the band live and heard the original records these mixes should be right for you. For those of you that like the 1980's and 90's versions of the cd. Stick with those thin mixes (yes thin not quite). But if you want a better copy of what the master tapes must sound like buy the box sets. Between the improved sound and all the video extra's I am sure you will think it is well worth the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars At last, those once dynamic mixes are now iPod friendly!, Dec 23 2007
This review is from: 1983-1998 (Rm) (5CD/5DVD) (Audio CD)
It was about time that Genesis got with the modern times, and realised that not everyone has audiophile equipment. Most people listen on MP3 players either through small earphones, or in a car, and have to hear the music above the car engine or the noise of traffic.

So at last we have the more compressed, narrower mixes that allow us to hear even the quietest parts relatively loud and upfront. This is the way music is going. Everyone is doing it, so why shouldn't Genesis? Now you can play a Genesis track followed by, say, an Oasis song, and they both sound very similar in terms of the sound - equally loud and compressed - a bit like a radio broadcast. It's so cool.

Another good thing: all the different albums sound much more uniform, less individual or 'of their time' (how dated and uncool they were before). You can set your iPod nano to random play mode, and play something from 'And Then There Were Three' followed by something from 'Abacab', followed by something from 'We Can't Dance', and they could all be from the same album. Surely this has to be a good thing?

This collection of mixes is a 'great leveller'. Whether listening on expensive sound equipment or a cheap midi system, or indeed an iPod, it will sound the same, very nicely flattened out, and not over-punchy or too full of life like before. They're also good if you want 'background music' turned down quiet. The once-quiet bits never get lost now, and the louder bits no longer have too much energy.

I think these new compressed, refreshingly less dynamic stereo mixes are just wonderful. Thank you Nick Davis and Tony Cousins. Thank you very very very very very much. Sincerely.

1983-1998 (Rm) (5CD/5DVD)
1983-1998 (Rm) (5CD/5DVD) by Genesis (Audio CD - 2007)