5.0 out of 5 stars A future "classic" movie that touches your every emotion
Published on March 2 2006 by Siona Doyle-McLaughlin

3.0 out of 5 stars Rent: the movie
Speaking from a critical perspective, Rent is not really a well-written play or musical, and this pretentious film is no better. But it never fails for pure entertainment!
Published on Feb. 25 2009 by Han Ding

5.0 out of 5 stars A future "classic" movie that touches your every emotion, March 2 2006
Siona Doyle-McLaughlin (Abbotsford, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
An avid movie goer who also appreciates the foreign (especially British), independent, controversial subject, and period films .... I was eagerly anticipating the date when RENT would be shown in our city. The trailers that had run a few months prior with the powerfully uplifting song, "Seasons of Love," had me curious about this Musical. It's good the trailer didn't give away the storyline, and I made certain that I didn't read anything about the synopsis beforehand. When my friend and I saw the movie, we were drawn back to 1989, and felt like we were observers on the side. The musical worked somehow, even though I had to chuckle a bit at some of the phrases, but then one would chuckle even if they had been simply spoken. It was nice that there was dialogue in between the singing. The characters (I had no idea Jesse Martin from Law & Order and Rosario Dawn from The Fast & The Furious sang) were all remarkably talented, both vocally and acting-wise. The characters were believable; thus, you didn't just see them as actors. The movie could be categorized as a musical/drama/comedy/romance as it was multi-faceted and touched upon all of these themes. My friend and I laughed, cried, and felt the emotions that the characters were portraying. I couldn't stop my feet from tapping, as every song was catchy. Needless to say, I raced out to purchase the soundtrack, only to realize it had sold out quickly in stores. Apparently, the soundtrack was released 3 months prior to the movie in the U.S. I just purchased the movie and am on the waiting list, still, for the 2-CD Movie Soundtrack. This movie is one you will either love or hate. I rave about RENT to people. I hope that some day, it will be remembered as a "classic" from this era. For the filmmakers, cast, and production personnel, I'm disappointed that this movie didn't rank high and gross more. The people just mentioned sure did a heck of a job. Purchase the movie if you think this is your genre!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best musicals I've ever seen, Feb. 4 2006
Having loved the stage show of Rent, I was beyond thrilled to learn that a feature film was made of it - starring most of the original Broadway cast (just pretend that they're still in their early 20s...) Kudos to Chris Columbus for casting veteran stage actors. They brought authenticity and passion to their revisited roles. My sister and I saw Rent in the cinema: we sang along with all of the songs and danced in our seats. If you have a heart, be sure to have kleenex with you when you watch this -- you'll need it! Rent is a beautiful, touching story about love, friendship, and the heartaches that life brings along with it. I can't wait until this film is released on DVD. Get out there and buy it when it's out! Broaden your horizons! You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best musical ever, March 1 2006
By A Customer
I saw rent thinking i would get bored in two seconds but i loved it. It was the best musical ever. My Mom and Dad were Surprised when they saw i stayed in the room watching Rent for 2 hours and 15 mins. In order to see bonus features insert Disc 2 and watch the doucmentary about Jonathon Larson and the tragedy when he died after the Dress rehearsal. At Around 12:00 am and 1:00 am The Creator of rent Jonathon Larson Died on his Kitchen floor making tea. If You are going to Commit Suicide see rent and you will knew you still have hope to live and change you. If you are a bully and you see rent it will change you. The Lesson Drugs are bad for you and can cause You to Get Aids

5.0 out of 5 stars Rent: A Classic, Feb. 19 2006
A classic, its the only way to describe it. One of the things that moved me most about this movie, it isn't whimsical, or flashy like most musicals that i've seen (and still enjoyed.) It's so real, and believable. True to Johnathan Larson's original vision. Honestly, before I went to theatres I knew nothing of RENT, but after seeing it, I became an instant RENThead! I'm the typical straight guy, and I can honestly say this movie made me cry! It makes you want to bawl, scream, and laugh all at the same time! Then there's the music, which just floored me! You'll be blown away too, you have to buy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best that a Renthead could hope for., Feb. 4 2006
By A Customer
(But I'm sure all loyal fans already know that). I must admit that I was a bit apprehensive when I first caught word that a RENT movie was in the works, but my fears were completely allayed after seeing it as soon as it was released. This is the only movie that has ever made me cry. Wilson and the rest of the OBC are amazing, Rosario fits right in, and, even if some of the dialogue can sound a bit contrived to someone who isn't familiar with the musical (as some lyrics have been converted), this is the best that a RENT fan could possibly expect, and brilliantly surpassed my expectations. Jon would be proud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Renthead for life, Feb. 21 2006
By A Customer
When I saw my first "Rent" show in Ottawa, I was hooked. I hadn't ruined it by first learning the songs and then seeing it (my usual pattern). Two months later, I was off to NYC to see it on Broadway. Joey from NSYNC was playing Marc and while he embraced it with a comedic enthusiasm, the googly eyed teenage female fans in the audience took away from the amazing performances of the other cast. I was thrilled to hear that a movie was being made of this amazing show. I saw it immediately and was duly impressed. One word of advice... KLEENEX!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWSOME MOVIE, Dec 26 2005
When i first went to see this movie i went in thinking it was going to be another wannabe musical but the cast can sing sooo well and the storyline is awsome. Thier isnt one moment in this movie were your bored it alwayts has you biteing your nails wanting to no what is going to happen next this isn;t an action movie but it makes you feel like it. It's filled with romance drama and yelling out loud in applause worthy singing. i would definitly recommend you buy or at the very least rent "RENT".

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Musical Adaptation, Feb. 12 2006
Jackie Wiess (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This film adaptation easily ranks with the very best Hollywood musicals ever made. I was sad to see how little support it got at the box office.
If you're at all familiar with the play, then you'll truly appreciate what they've done with it, how they tried to preserve the spirit of the original.
If you haven't seen the play and are completely unfamiliar with the music, please give it time to grow on you. I love this work, because it's about survival, love, friendship, death, making the most of each day, seeing beauty in the most unlikely places.
I must say I'm also looking forward to the extras on the second DVD, which no doubt includes a bio on Jonathan Larson, the creator of Rent who died tragically on the night of the dress rehearsal.
For those of you who didn't see the film in the theatres, pick up a copy of Rent. Another work I recommend -- which I purchased off Amazon -- is a novel, which covers many of the same themes as Rent, being about love, bohemia, survival, loneliness, joy: The Losers' Club by Richard Perez. This novel is an excellent companion piece, also set in the same environment, New York City's East Village. Rentheads -- enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 24 2009
C. Gough (Trenton, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rent (Bilingual) [Import] (DVD)
This was one of my first purchases on Amazon.ca. I received the product promptly, and in good condition. I've watched the movie and it is amazing with stellar performances by well known actors.
I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME MOVIE!!!! MUST SEE!!!!, Jan. 19 2006
I went to go see this movie in theaters with my cousin and it was awesome... the songs are so addictive and you can't stop listening. I am definetly buying it when it comes out on FEBRUARY 31st!!!!! So people put Rent in your MUST SEE list

Rent [Blu-ray]