5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best!
Published 5 months ago by Michael Bahen

3.0 out of 5 stars Rent: the movie
Speaking from a critical perspective, Rent is not really a well-written play or musical, and this pretentious film is no better. But it never fails for pure entertainment!
Published on Feb. 25 2009 by Han Ding

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best!, Nov. 13 2013
RENT is the movie musical of the 1996 musical. Rent is about a group of diverse friends living in New York City during the outbreak of HIV/AIDS in 1989. The main character is Mark Cohen a struggling Jewish Filmmaker who plans on creating a documentary who lives with his friend ex-Junkie and Musician Roger Davis who is living with HIV. The two boys struggle to pay Rent no help to their Landlord Benjamin Coffin 3rd who tends to make promises he can't keep. Mark's girlfriend Maureen Johnson who left him to be with Joanne Jefferson needs his help with her upcoming protest. Along with this we meet HIV Positive Tom Collins an anarchist and professor who is beat up in the streets when he meets HIV Positive Drag Queen Angel, they soon begin a relationship. And lastly Roger meets a woman named Mimi Marquez who are immediately drawn to each other but Roger is hesitant. The film is heartbreakingly beautiful and raw, it's a very real film. The film deals with the struggles of life as well as the beauty and miracles that it possesses. The songs are amazing, my favourite include "One Song Glory" "Light My Candle", " I'll Cover You" "La Vie Boheme A & B" etc. An amazing movie and Musical, even people who aren't fans of musicals should see this masterpiece because there is "No Day But Today"!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome movie, April 21 2013
Awesome movie, I can't wait to watch it again. It is one of my favorites the deleted scenes are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie., April 15 2013
Bradley Gould (Yarmouth, NS, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rent (Bilingual) [Import] (DVD)
A beautiful movie for anyone who lives outside of the mold. If you act or think differently than others, if you don't blend into the mainstream, you may well see yourself here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great musical, Jan. 19 2013
This was purchased as a gift for someone who had seen and loved the movie at the theatre. Lots of good singing and dancing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Musical Adaptation, Feb. 12 2006
Jackie Wiess (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This film adaptation easily ranks with the very best Hollywood musicals ever made. I was sad to see how little support it got at the box office.
If you're at all familiar with the play, then you'll truly appreciate what they've done with it, how they tried to preserve the spirit of the original.
If you haven't seen the play and are completely unfamiliar with the music, please give it time to grow on you. I love this work, because it's about survival, love, friendship, death, making the most of each day, seeing beauty in the most unlikely places.
I must say I'm also looking forward to the extras on the second DVD, which no doubt includes a bio on Jonathan Larson, the creator of Rent who died tragically on the night of the dress rehearsal.
For those of you who didn't see the film in the theatres, pick up a copy of Rent. Another work I recommend -- which I purchased off Amazon -- is a novel, which covers many of the same themes as Rent, being about love, bohemia, survival, loneliness, joy: The Losers' Club by Richard Perez. This novel is an excellent companion piece, also set in the same environment, New York City's East Village. Rentheads -- enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars There's no day like today!, Jan. 18 2011
This is the movie version of the Broadway show Rent! It is a lot of fun and superbly acted! You will find yourself addicted to every song!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 24 2009
C. Gough (Trenton, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rent (Bilingual) [Import] (DVD)
This was one of my first purchases on Amazon.ca. I received the product promptly, and in good condition. I've watched the movie and it is amazing with stellar performances by well known actors.
I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A future "classic" movie that touches your every emotion, March 2 2006
Siona Doyle-McLaughlin (Abbotsford, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
An avid movie goer who also appreciates the foreign (especially British), independent, controversial subject, and period films .... I was eagerly anticipating the date when RENT would be shown in our city. The trailers that had run a few months prior with the powerfully uplifting song, "Seasons of Love," had me curious about this Musical. It's good the trailer didn't give away the storyline, and I made certain that I didn't read anything about the synopsis beforehand. When my friend and I saw the movie, we were drawn back to 1989, and felt like we were observers on the side. The musical worked somehow, even though I had to chuckle a bit at some of the phrases, but then one would chuckle even if they had been simply spoken. It was nice that there was dialogue in between the singing. The characters (I had no idea Jesse Martin from Law & Order and Rosario Dawn from The Fast & The Furious sang) were all remarkably talented, both vocally and acting-wise. The characters were believable; thus, you didn't just see them as actors. The movie could be categorized as a musical/drama/comedy/romance as it was multi-faceted and touched upon all of these themes. My friend and I laughed, cried, and felt the emotions that the characters were portraying. I couldn't stop my feet from tapping, as every song was catchy. Needless to say, I raced out to purchase the soundtrack, only to realize it had sold out quickly in stores. Apparently, the soundtrack was released 3 months prior to the movie in the U.S. I just purchased the movie and am on the waiting list, still, for the 2-CD Movie Soundtrack. This movie is one you will either love or hate. I rave about RENT to people. I hope that some day, it will be remembered as a "classic" from this era. For the filmmakers, cast, and production personnel, I'm disappointed that this movie didn't rank high and gross more. The people just mentioned sure did a heck of a job. Purchase the movie if you think this is your genre!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best musical ever, March 1 2006
By A Customer
I saw rent thinking i would get bored in two seconds but i loved it. It was the best musical ever. My Mom and Dad were Surprised when they saw i stayed in the room watching Rent for 2 hours and 15 mins. In order to see bonus features insert Disc 2 and watch the doucmentary about Jonathon Larson and the tragedy when he died after the Dress rehearsal. At Around 12:00 am and 1:00 am The Creator of rent Jonathon Larson Died on his Kitchen floor making tea. If You are going to Commit Suicide see rent and you will knew you still have hope to live and change you. If you are a bully and you see rent it will change you. The Lesson Drugs are bad for you and can cause You to Get Aids

5.0 out of 5 stars Renthead for life, Feb. 21 2006
By A Customer
When I saw my first "Rent" show in Ottawa, I was hooked. I hadn't ruined it by first learning the songs and then seeing it (my usual pattern). Two months later, I was off to NYC to see it on Broadway. Joey from NSYNC was playing Marc and while he embraced it with a comedic enthusiasm, the googly eyed teenage female fans in the audience took away from the amazing performances of the other cast. I was thrilled to hear that a movie was being made of this amazing show. I saw it immediately and was duly impressed. One word of advice... KLEENEX!

ARRAY(0xb09052c4)