4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than most Mac users will rate it at
Published on Feb. 6 2009 by Steven

3.0 out of 5 stars It's still Office
Microsoft Office is a really good product to begin with. It was in great need of a facelift, which I think it got with this edition. The pricing is reasonnable but for most home users, iWork by Apple would be totally sufficient.

The strong point: everybody uses Office. This new edition supports the new file formats. It works.
The weak points: still...
Published on Feb. 20 2008 by SeekUp78

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than most Mac users will rate it at, Feb. 6 2009
Steven "philosopherdog" (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition (Software)
Not sure I'd recommend Entourage per se, although I personally haven't had tons of experience with it. I'm primarily a Word and Excel user. I'll just limit my comments to Word here. Firstly, most Mac users will toast MS Word, but it's by far the most powerful word processor available on the Mac; most Mac users just don't know how to use Word. But the trick is that Word is not as simple to use as, say, Pages. So, you have a lot of power, more features, but it requires some learning. I personally prefer this version of Office to the 2007 version for the PC, since almost everything is customizable on it, like toolbars and menus! Sure the pallets are ugly, but if you learn the hotkeys or customize some, then you can turn all those bars off anyway. I love to open a window without any toolbars at all. It's so clean, like Pages full screen but you can open any number of windows of the same document and have it any size. The trick is to use Isolator and Menu Eclipse so that there is nothing to distract you from your writing task. The one thing I loath about Word 2008 is the Print Layout view and those hideous bars you can't get rid of at the top. But Draft and Outine are all most users will need. Apparently 08 was pretty flakey before SP1. So, be sure to get all the updates. I think they've fixed a lot of glitches. Finally, Office 08 doesn't play well with Spaces, and they blame it on Apple. Also, MS doesn't integrate office very well into OS X; so, for instance, there is no integration with services. In any case, despite it's these drawbacks, I'd say Office 08 is the best you're going to get at least for Word processing. I think Excel is still far superior to Numbers, although Keynote is legendary. If you need a full powered Word and Spreadsheet program for the Mac this is it, if your needs are more casual, then I'd say get iWork 09 instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's still Office, Feb. 20 2008

The weak points: still pricy. No Leopard integration for iCal. Entourage could have been much better and much more useful if the calendar and address book functions were integrated with Mac OS, like Bento did it.

5.0 out of 5 stars my purchases, May 16 2013
I love my micro soft word. Makes my life sooooo much easier. Coffee Bean and Raspberry Ketones...haven't had them long enough to comment fairly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Dec 31 2012
Great package deal and perfect for the student and or parent in the family. Gave us everything needed to get the job done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best value among all Microsoft Office 2008 versions, July 31 2009
R. Ocampo "Artisan" (North America) - See all my reviews
With the advent of Mac OS X in 2001, Microsoft has so far released three updates of Office starting with Office v. X at the same year, then Office 2004 and last year's Office 2008.

UNIVERSAL. The most notable update to Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac is the use of universal binary which means it can natively run on both newer Intel Macs and PowerPC (PPC). So if you have both older and newer Macs, then it's good to know you can use the same software to install on either machines.

LICENSE. The license I've read so far allows the installation to: 1) a primary device, 2) a portable device for use by the single primary user, and 3) on a network device for use as remote access by the single primary user.

VERSION. The standard version includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage and Microsoft Server Exchange Support.

The Special Media version contains the above and adds Microsoft Expression Media (basically a digital asset manager for USD100.00 more.)

The Home and Student Edition includes the basic Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage. HOWEVER, Home and Student Edition includes three licenses for non-professional use. If you don't make a profit using the software and only need it for the home, this provides the best value and most logical purchase decision.

CHANGES. To be at par with the PC version Microsoft Office 2007 and support Office Open XML file format. Oddly enough, lack of Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) support made this the weirdest update for a more supposedly advanced operating system.

SPEED. Not really anything to gloat about in a PPC environment. But this was obviously made to enhance Intel Macs.

OVERALL. I was perfectly fine with Office X. I was also perfectly fine with Office 2004. I'm still okay with Office 2008. I think like the rest of the users who thought of updating for a better workflow, all I ended up was spending more to maintain better compatibility with my OS. But as criticisms keep pouring in, compatibility is not the strongest factor especially when switching between Office 2007 and Office 2008.

in my opinion, if speed for Intel Macs is your concern then this is a worthy purchase. For users holding on to PPC Macs, this is really not for you and I would just continue using Office 2004.

However, if you're only switching to a Mac then this is an essential purchase and with 3 licenses to use on three devices for the home it's really something you don't have to decide on. It's worth the price especially if you constantly exchange Office files between friends and classmates.

1.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit Software, Oct. 24 2009
Duped (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
The copy was obviously counterfeit. The key does not accept Office revisions/updates. I have requested an exchange for a genuine copy, but have still not resolved this issue. I reported it to Amazon as well as the supplier. There was no response from Amazon and the supplier is working though a third party mailing agent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't wait, April 9 2009
P. Desrochers - See all my reviews
Not really a must if you already own Office 2004 for Mac, but a necessary one if you don't have any version of Office.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent experience, Sept. 1 2011
I was super pleased with this purchase. It was delivered days faster than promised, was in top notch condition in a sealed box, and gave me exactly what I was looking for on my computer.

3.0 out of 5 stars For all those Mac users office 2008, Oct. 3 2010
I bought Office for Mac 2008 and when I installed it it installed fine but would not do the updates. Then it told me to uninstall and reinstall, after doing this several times and still having no luck. I tried to go to the Microsoft website to ask for help and it would not take my product key. I did some research and for Mac users with this problem you have to install the product a certain way and delete some internal files. I found help at

[...]

I did the step by set instructions (some type errors are in the instructions but fairly straight forward) and now I am having no problems.

Hope this helps

4.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft office for Mac, Sept. 30 2010
There are a few differences between microsoft office and office for mac. For instance, the web messenger is badly configured. Also, the toolbars and shortcuts are in different places in Word.Overall, it is great product, but it takes some getting used to.

ARRAY(0xb4cb63fc)

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition by Microsoft Software (Mac OS X, Macintosh)
Used & New from: CDN$ 69.99